[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Owen_Garriott.jpg (1.23 MB, 3280x4100)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
If not for this astronaut, many of the games we all know and love would not exist. Anime too. He is the spiritual grandfather of weebs.
>>
Explain
>>
>>10872707
He's the father of Richard 'Lord British' Garriott, who's known for the Ultima series, Anon.
>>
>>10872493
If he was a potato farmer this thread wouldn't exist and don't tell me that potatoes are not as important as astronauts, go tell it to the Irish.
>>
anime is older than this guy
wizardry and d&d still existed

op is a retarded fag who prob some dumb shit on youtube
>>
File: laughing girl.jpg (71 KB, 500x391)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>The Skylab "stowaway" prank
>On September 10, 1973, controllers in Houston were startled to hear a woman's voice beaming down from Skylab. The voice startled capsule communicator Bob Crippen by calling him by name, and then the woman explained: "The boys haven't had a home-cooked meal in so long I thought I'd bring one up." After several minutes in which she described forest fires seen from space and the beautiful sunrise, the woman said: "Oh oh. I have to cut off now. I think the boys are floating up here toward the command module and I'm not supposed to be talking to you." As the Skylab astronauts later revealed, Garriott had recorded his wife, Helen, during a private radio transmission the night before

He sounds pretty great though
>>
>>10872493
True.
Don't forget his wife was the other half of the equation too, though. She instilled Richard with a sense of artistry and spirituality. He still wears the Silver Serpent he crafted with her help.
>>
>>10872750
If the Irish liked eating so much they shouldn't have devoted their entire agricultural system to a plant that wasn't native to their soil.
>>
>>10872750
>If he was a potato farmer this thread wouldn't exist
Of course not; he wouldn't have had the money to support his son's interest in computers and his education. Ultima was made while he was still a student.
>>
>>10872750
didn't the irish only grow potatoes because if they didn't the brits would kill them?
>>
>/his/ thread on /vr/
>>
>>10872881
nah I heard brit bongs fucking wrecked any crops that weren't potatoes
>>
>>10872819
Wholesome.
>>
Why do people believe that if something didn't happen in the exact way it did and at the exact time it did, none of it would happen? Same logic used to claim Nintendo saved video games and all that shit. Obviously video games were going to make a comeback whether Nintendo was there or not
>>
>>10873084
Because if you follow the trail of what inspired each game (Pokemon, FF, DQ, random anime based on games) it leads back to Ultima, which exists as a result of the upbringing provided by Mr Astronaut and his wife.
>>
>>10873196

It would be great to be able to reach into a parallel universe in which the space program didn't select this particular guy for its space team or whatever (maybe because he'd died at age 14 in a polio outbreak or whatever they had back then) and pick out some random old CRPG from it, just to see how it would differ from what we'd expect
>>
>>10872493
nope anime came to live thanks to osamu tezuka end of argument,modern anime from 1980s onward is because of the father of modern anime Akira Toriyama.
You are too retarded for your own sake faggot OP.
>>
>>10873196
>Pokemon, FF, DQ, random anime based on games wouldn't exist
that's a good thing though all those suck
>>
>>10872881
They had wheat and such, it's just that the British kept demanding their full wheat harvest every year so there wasn't any left over for the Irish. By that point everything except potatoes was getting exported to feed Britain, so when the potato crop failed there wasn't anything for the tenant farmers to eat. So they all starved to death. The continent got hit with the potato famine as well, but since there wasn't quite as much of a demand for forced exports it wasn't /as/ bad...but it still Europe to erupt in massive social unrest that nearly turned into a cascade of revolutions.

The 40s might just be a cursed decade.
>>
>>10872752
Owen Garriott was born in 1930 so he's, in fact, older than anime
>>
>>10875349
The first anime (Katsudou Shashin) was made in 1907.
>>
>>10875369
Owen Garriots father was born long before 1907
check & mate

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.