[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hqdefault.jpg (47 KB, 480x360)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Oldfags, what was it like playing MMORPGs in the 90s? Did you have fun? Were there autistic NEETs solo grinding Tibia or Neverwinter Nights all night, or is this a more recent thing?
Let's share some comfy stories about playing MMOs in the 90s.
>>
File: nverwinter-party.jpg (46 KB, 512x320)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>10873015
this sucks weres all the people slinging slurs?
>>
>>10873015
>>
>>10873015
AOL had an hourly fee so you couldn't really get anywhere in nwn without being an insane person. When AOL got a flat rate and everyone wanted to finally be able to play as much as they wanted the game "server" (probably a few pcs in someone's house) couldn't handle 1/100th of the volume
>>
>>10873285
>AOL had an hourly fee
It's crazy to think about that now. The world is so much different today, and we would all probably be much better off if using the internet was charged by an hourly rate.
>>
$2 usd/minute
>>
Supposedly the exp rate and rare spawns in EverQuest were designed the way they were because they originally intended it to be a pay by the minute game.
>>
>>10873395
No way.
>>10873015
I can't answer this because I didn't play MMOs until the early 2000s but I'm gonna shit up the thread anyway.
I played games like Runescape in 2001, FFXI for a little in 2002ish and some others like Dransik. Some online multiplayer-but-not-MMO 90s browser games like stuff where you raid other people's bases and steal money from a text menu. I think I was out of touch with the serious/hardcore community because I wasn't as into online gaming back then, but I remember most people being way more laid back, casual and unserious. Grinding wasn't optimized and people just did whatever they wanted, only spreading rumors of good areas mixed in with "cheats", fabrications, and methods that absolutely did not stand the test of time even a little. It was a wasteland and most people had no idea what they were doing. Games nowadays are optimized almost right away by the playerbase.
While the internet had a reputation for nerds, it was such a new and novel thing that a lot of very "normal" people were engaging in very nerdy internet activities like playing these games in the way people might use Youtube or Tiktok today. I don't think online gaming culture really consolidated into something resembling what it is today until 2005ish, and even then that's just an intermediary point. Ironically, it's gone back to being very nerdy in modern private servers of old games nowadays just because others moved on to social media to score easier social points there instead. And a new terminally online class of "normal" people has developed on social media, if you can call them that.
>>
Oh yeah and all the juicy info was on BBSes/forums.
>>
>>10873453
more like irc and usenet
>>
>>10873467
That's what I mean when I say I was detached from the hardcore community. Everyone used IRC but I'm not fucking using it and I'm not using Discord either no matter how many people shill it. More serious of a gamer now though.
>>
https://usenetarchives.com/threads.php?id=alt.games.everquest&y=0&r=0&p=1

There, archive of alt.games.everquest going back to 1998 pre-beta
>>
File: 1706686162149781.png (196 KB, 983x1299)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>10873484
he has a point you know, the complete lack of "thee"s by players is a major problem in online gaming

maybe mmos should have an option to use ai to automatically translate other players text into medieval
>>
>>10873015
i only got to play NWN with a couple friends in early 00s
id imagine if someone tried to host EVERYONE back then the server would unironically burst into flames.

not 90s, but diablo 2 had most of the autism youve come to know and love/detest that you see in MMOs now
in general there were probably less tryhards, as gaming wasnt some fucking "career option". but then there were people making actual irl money selling characters and gear, so they were definitely still around.
and at least ime w D2, there was certainly still a meta, and if you werent playing into it, youd routinely get ganked for your insolence

idk man i was pretty little, its hard to remember desu
i still had fun, but it definitely made it clear to me that i enjoy singleplayer games much more
>>
>>10873501
>maybe mmos should have an option to use ai to automatically translate other players text into medieval
Isn't WoW already doing something like that

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.