[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Spider Man really never did get a good video game, did he? (well I guess the Atari 2600 one was alright for what it was)
>>
The one for ps1 and Spiderman 2 were good. Ultimate Spiderman wasn’t bad either
>>
>>10873491
>Spider-Man vs Kingpin for Genesis and Sega CD (but avoid the Master System one)
>The PS1 duology
>The second movie adaptation game
>Ultumate Spider-Man
>The two Game Boy Color entries
I'd say he made out better than most.
>>
File: 62011_front.jpg (175 KB, 640x1084)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>10873491
There's a ton of good ones, both /vr/ and non-/vr/.

>>10873520
Adding to this, I had Spider-Man and Venom: Separation Anxiety as a kid, and my cousins had Spider-Man and X-Men: Arcade's Revenge. I really enjoyed both games, and I've heard mostly good things about Maximum Carnage as well but never really played that one.
>>
when the PSX Spider-Man came out everyone was calling it the best superhero game ever made, it's still a great game to this day.

Unfortunately there's some emulator bug that makes some sewer level (I think?) where you're chased by Venom impossibly difficult, and that's as far as I personally got, but I can attest the game leading up to there being golden.

Spider-Man 2 (based on the Tobey McGuire movie) has surprisingly complex and fun web swinging mechanics; there are gamers who will boot up the game every once in a while just to swing around the city for a bit. For years, whenever a new Spider-Man game came out, there would be people asking if the web-slinging was the same as Spider-Man 2 and people were always being disappointed to hear that it wasn't. Apparently the SM2 web coding is lost which is why it was never replicated. I'm uncertain if the new Sony games got webbing right, but I hear those games have boring modern sensibilities like too many cutscenes and political messages.
>>
>>10873491
I'm playing the PS1 Spider-Man 1 right now and it's fairly good. Not over the top great but maybe a 7 or an 8. Swinging from building to building feels good and the controls are overall nice for how much you can do in it. The biggest problem is the framerate, which is fairly low.
>>10873545
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm past the sewer part and it works fine for me on Swanstation. Maybe it's another part of the game.
>>
>>10873539
Damn, forgot about Maximum Carnage, too.
>>
>>10873545
That emulator bug has to be from years ago right? Like when epsxe was still the go to ps1 emulator.
>>
>>10873572
Yeah, last time I played it was on epsxe years ago. So you guys are saying I should give the game another shot on DuckStation?
>>
I enjoyed the one I had on the 64
>>
File: KINO-MAN 2000.jpg (13 KB, 226x223)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>10873491
Fucking WOT M8
>>
File: ultimate limited.jpg (44 KB, 349x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>10873505
Ultimate Spiderman is super underrated, I beat it like 5 times as a kid, still holds up and I personally prefer it to Spiderman 2.
I will say it has problems, it's very short, empty open world, and very basic fighting system, but other than that I think it's a great Spiderman game for spiderfans.
Tons of lip service to the rest of the marvel universe (wolverine, human torch, silver sable, etc. all show up), playable venom, plenty of unlockables, and a story that is extremely faithful to the source material.
>pic related is the limited edition release of the game
>>
maximal carnies
>>
File: 1704694782428060.png (507 KB, 1070x601)
507 KB
507 KB PNG
>Spider-Man
I've been calling him Spiderman all this time

I must've looked like an idiot
>>
>>10873960
John Spiddermann
>>
>>10873960
people leave out the hyphen all the time, it's just colloquial, not like you pronounce the hyphen in normal speech.
>>
>>10873968
without the hyphen it becomes "spuh-derm-un"
>>
>>10873968
Spiderhyphenman. He puts hyphens in spiders. Watch out spiders!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>10873968
>not like you pronounce the hyphen in normal speech
well, about that...
>>
If Spider·Man is as radioactive as his theme song would suggest, why don't his enemies just track him down with a Geiger counter?
>>
>>10873945
I want some lip service from Venom if you know what I mean
>>
>>10874006
>we can't help but notice that everyone working at the local newspaper office has developed terminal cancer
>>
>>10873551
it's the sequence where you have to crawl upside down over the rising sewer water, on hard it was borderline impossible.
>>
>>10873491
swinging around basically blind feels awful, spiderman is not a good property for a standard fov sidescroller.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=895ek96vHHY

the atari 2600 spiderman theme will haunt me until my death

truly indelible in the hippopotamus
>>
>>10873945
ultimate spiderman is not underrated. it was always a critical darling.
>>
File: 1709465392334341.jpg (73 KB, 616x353)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>10874031
That game was the original Bennet Foddy
>>
File: 1676436355193144.png (180 KB, 346x214)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
>>10873539
I wish they would port the Genesis / Sega CD version to a modern console. I assume the licensing rights are fubar but it chaps my ass that you can get collections with the most mid or obscure genesis games for pretty much anything but a game that was one of the console's biggest hits is just locked in its original format forever
>>
File: 1000006349.jpg (50 KB, 280x276)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>10873491
Spiderman on PSX was good. The first one. Second was basically more of the same, but done worse. But I liked both more than PS4 game.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (16 KB, 224x225)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>10873491
Hey, you just blow in from stupid town?
>>
>>10874032
maybe back in the day it was reviewed well, but nowadays whenever I bring it up in normal conversation with friends, everyone seems to prefer Spider-man 2 and thinks that Ultimate isn't that good. It may have got good reviews, idk, but nowadays it's definitely fallen by the wayside relative to other spider-man games.
>>
>>10873945
It's pretty good because it wasn't tied to the movie universe like SM2 movie game was a year or so prior. I recall that the parts where you repeatedly chase after the bad guys weren't the best the game has to offer but otherwise it's still playable and great.
>>
>>10873945
And also the early 2000s Spider-Man games were unique in the sense that they could make a ps1 game and use any of the Marvel characters in the whole comic universe which nowadays would be an absolute licensing nightmare.
>>
i remember liking spiderman 2 on xbox at the time. replaying it now im sure its just open world slop
>>
>>10873960
This is one of these things that's hard to get when English is my second language, but I guess it was just decided at some point it's not Spider Man or SpiderMan or Spiderman but Spider-Man.
>>
>>10873545
SM1 PS1 has bugs if the fps isn't correct, that was a problem with the original pc version back when it was released. The cutscene where you chase Venom in the building and some other parts where fucked and nearly impossible but they just released the port like that.

I was disappointed in the PS4 SM when there were interviews how the developers really liked SM2 PS2 and when I tried the web psychics they were made so that it's impossible to fail at any point. Swing into a building? No problem just hold one button. Slam into the ground? No fall damage. If you press web button 1 meter before hitting the ground, it will continue smoothly where as in SM2 PS2 he would shoot a web but his feet would touch the ground.
>>
>>10874019
Also the Mysterio fight on Hard is extremely frustrating but it's called hard for a reason I guess?
>>
File: 1695357104255148.png (37 KB, 499x322)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>Spider-Man
>Superman
>Invisible Man
>>
>>10873545
Guy who coded the web-slinging actually did make a tech-demo/indie game with the same web-slinging, obviously not tied to Spider-man, the name of the guy and game escapes me, this was a long time ago and nothing ever came of the project I believe.
>>
>>10874186
Nevermind, the game was called "Energy Hook"
>>
>>10874181
There's no logic, it's just that one way to say it becomes the standard. You can say that "invisible" is an adjective, "spider" is a subject, "super" I guess is short for superior but whatever.
>>
>>10874186
There are quite a few of those type of copies floating around too because you can make them freely but no one cares if it's not Spiderman.
>>
>>10874154

ESL status may not even be holding you back here - I'm a native English speaker with minimal skill in other languages (so, a standard American) and most of the options you list there look equally natural and acceptable to me. It's only "SpiderMan" that stands out as being relatively unnatural. I think the canonically correct choice of "Spider-Man" really is completely arbitrary, and a native speaker will have to memorize it with little or no reliance on any inherent "natural" feeling of it just like you would.

I've also had this problem with Pac-Man, although in that case there's a different kind of language barrier involved - but the end result is the same. There's little sense in the creator's/publisher's choice of correct spelling; you just have to memorize it.
>>
>>10874181
Steins;Man
>>
If he were a drow he'd be called G'eldhrae
>>
>>10874242
*G-eldhrae
>>
>>10874210
>I think the canonically correct choice of "Spider-Man" really is completely arbitrary, and a native speaker will have to memorize it with little or no reliance on any inherent "natural" feeling of it just like you would.
Yeah that's what I was implying and there's nothing wrong with that. Pretty much any language has these kind of rules which rely on you just remembering them.
>>
File: Man-spider.jpg (359 KB, 749x565)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>10874181
>>
>>10874463
Human Spider that's the best you got?
>>
>>10874472
Bruce Campbell was a hoot as the narrator of the Raimi game trilogy.
>>
>>10874250
Q-bert
>>
>>10874019
Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. It's basically impossible without godly timing. There's a trick, however, and it was probably intended. I'll go record it later and show some intentionally failed runs for demonstration mixed in with the strategy. When you see it you'll be like "oh, that wasn't so hard."
>>
>>10874019
>>10874781
Okay, I recorded it!

Deliberate failure 1: too close to the waterline.
Deliberate failure 2: appropriate positioning, okay timing, but somehow it's never enough. this is where most people fail.
Attempt 3 with the trick: so fucking trivial you don't even have to start in time and only have to do it once.

https://files.catbox.moe/7841yg.mkv
>>
File: 046462.png (39 KB, 320x224)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
Always loved the colorfulness and the sound design of the arcade game. Plus what other game ever let you play as frickin' Namor? Maybe one of those ultimate alliance games but I doubt it.
>>
he's called spider-man because he's half spider half man half -
>>
>>10873491
All GBA games are good. Except Mysterio's Menace which is just ok.
>>
Spider-man games on NDS fucking kick ball's. Just do not play Spider-man 3 there.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.