[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: main_sega32xcd.jpg (152 KB, 650x228)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
I have several questions about this monstrosity:
1) Who the hell thought locking games behind TWO addons was a good idea?
2) Why were literally all of its games just slightly upgraded ports of Sega CD FMV games?
3) What was its graphical potential?
>>
>>10874050
There weren't any games locked behind it. You can play all of those games with a Sega CD alone if you have the right version. Fahrenheit was the only one to release after the 32X, so they just threw both discs in the case, which I would assume would've been the standard had any more games of that nature released afterward.
>what was its graphical potential
Limited, since without a game cartridge, you only have access to the 32X's system memory, which was 256KB.
>>
>>10874050
You can basically skip these games anon, as you said they are just slightly enhanced versions of some of SEGA CD's FMV titles. If you want 32-bit Night Trap, Corpse Killer, or Supreme Warrior, you can play the 3DO and Saturn ports of those games. Otherwise just stick to vanilla SEGA CD and 32X
>>
File: 519px-Gex.jpg (41 KB, 519x600)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>10874050
It was probably SEGA's way of retroactively competing with the 3DO, which was basically the only 32-bit system at the time, released right in between the CD and 32X. Kind of a wonky way of going about it, but I guess they figured it was worth a shot
>>
>>10874050
>locking
If you produce hardware, you need to make software available for it so that people will buy the hardware.
>>
If I remember right, even now there still haven't been any video games, homebrew or otherwise, that took advantage of the CD/32X combo, just shitty FMV games.

Is it even hypothetically possible to get a worthwhile Genesis game that requires both the CD and 32X? Like a version of Knuckles Chaotix with CD audio?
>>
>>10874270
I mean, you'd be approaching what mainstream 32-bit consoles were able to accomplish in that configuration. But it wouldn't make sense from a business perspective unless either it was as popular as the PC Engine addons or it was a standalone unit.
>>
>>10874270
Wasn't the OpenLara dev able to get Tomb Raider running on the 32X at ~10-15fps? I'd assume a CD would allow you to store all the levels, textures and prerendered cutscenes.
>>
>>10874050
Sega were retards.
Because Sega fans were retards and would by anything by Sega to “own” Nintendorks.
Not much.
>>
>>10874270
It's not required per-se, but Doom 32X Resurrection can use the Sega CD to offload sound mixing from the 32X, improving performance:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/
>>
>>10874050
>1) Who the hell thought locking games behind TWO addons was a good idea?
1) Who the hell thought locking people into a system that couldn't be upgraded was a good idea?
Answer: iphone babies
>>
I wonder how much they could have got out of the system if they had actually made some games specifically for the 32X CD rather than just upgraded CD titles. Could it have competed with the 3DO or Jaguar CD in terms of power?
>>
>>10874050
The whole thing was Sega of Japan's fault. Sega of America didn't even want to make any additional hardware, but SoJ forced them. SoA was trying to make the best of a bad situation.
>>
>>10875875
Making games doesn't change the "power" of a system. But it certainly was competitive in terms of fail.
>>
>>10874290
Problem is, Sega CD has low transfer rate, even below the on-paper 1x CD-ROM speed it should have. Plus getting all the data to the 32X's CPUs would add a shitton of latency on top of that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.