[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fallout.jpg (196 KB, 1054x1301)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>
There was less games in general, so devs expected people to spend more time with their products.
>>
No expectation of having to appeal to unskilled newbie players
>>
>>10874596
In the case of computer games there was an expectation that if you had a computer and a functional understanding of it that you were at least in the top 50% of intelligent people. Legitimately a person who was uneducated, had poor reading comprehension or low executive decision making ability / adaptive intelligence would be very unlikely to own a personal computer all the way to the early 2000s.
>>
>>10874596
They weren't made for babbies and had to make the most of the limited storage space they had. If it was too easy, you'd beat the game in an hour and have no reason to play it ever again. Challenging games are necessary.
>>
Man I played FNV just now for the first time and couldn't even make it an hour in. Died and lost two levels cause I hadn't saved in awhile and I just uninstalled the whole thing.
That's not to say I'm FO1/2 lover, I've never played those either. I just get bored to hell. If anyone reading this is in their 20s and such, play what you want to play now because once you hit your 30s you will not give a shit about 99% of games, even so called "GOAT"s
>>
>>10874596
You gotta read the manual, buddy.
>>
>>10874596
not older games in general,just murrican games because most are kusoge.
>no issue with lot of nes,snes NTSC-J games
>murrican games,AI is cheating most of the time.
>>
>>10874596
because you had to read the manual the tutorial didn't get introduced until the second game
>>
>>10874596
In the case of old FO games, shitty RNG. Simple as. Also the skill majoring system sucks ass and don't even pretend it doesn't. These games are interesting but the devs had to work within a limited time and resource to balance the mechanics.

>>10874616
I bet beating this game is your highest accomplishment in life.
>>
>>10875105
we got us a galaxy brain over here
>the devs had to work within a limited time and resource to balance the mechanics.
same with every game ever
>>
>>10874616
Yes I'm sure every success story today fondly remembers playing fallout on their pc in the late 90s.
>>
>>10874881
Kys
>>
>>10875110
Nah, even indieshit devs these days have more time to balance their mechanics. Tranian had $200 million tencent money, 500 employees, millions of beta testers, and 10 years to develop bear gay 3.
>>
Because they started hard. Over time they became easier and easier to appeal to more people and general shift in views of game difficulty. Not only that, many older games are shorter, having a punishing 10+ hour action game like an arcade game would be very exhausting.
>>
>>10874596
Made by strong buxom gay men with a love for AD&D.
>>
Games weren't really designed for everyone to finish.
>>
>>10874596
I beat Fallout my first try literally a few years ago, I have no idea why people considered this game hard.
>>
>>10874596
They were designed to be beatable with the skill level of the average child at the time. That is many times higher that a modern child such as yourself.
>>
>>10874596
they had less content because of technical reasons so the game had to last longer somehow.
also back then you were expected to read the manual in the case of RPGs.
>>
>>10874596
On their own they aren't hard, but significant less handholding means more effort on the player's part to complete them.
>>
>>10874596
Games were comparatively much more expensive than they are today. If you were a kid from a working class family you'd be lucky to get 1 or 2 games a year. You didn't mind if something was more difficult.
>>
File: noneco.jpg (309 KB, 2048x1284)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>10874615
>>10874603
>>10874658
Correct.

>>10874640
>Forgetting about the HUMONGOUS INSTALLATION
Confirmed for not having grown up with this game.
>>
Fallout 2 is way harder. Fallout 1 is not difficult if you know what you're doing.
>>
fo1 isnt hard
>>
They weren't. The fact that old games don't have what some people call "Quality of life" features, it doesn't mean they're hard. Fallout is not hard at all.
>>
>>10874596
they're not. you just remember playing them when you were a dumb kid and/or didn't know better.
>>
>>10874596
If you die from scorpions just don't go in that direction next time.
>>
>>10874615
Fuck you!
>>
>>10874596
did you like fuck up on making a custom class or something?
theres multiple ways to get around pretty much every single obstacle in the game, up to and including the final boss
>>
>>10874596
Modern gamers are all DSP. That's why old games are hard
>>
>>10875105
>>10875113
Who do you think had a home computer and used it to play games in 1996?
>>
>>10874596
You just got soft.
>>
Started my first time playing Fallout 1 today, and honestly it feels really fair. Sure I needed to get used to the cycling between left and right mouse buttons for actions and had to google how to shot specific areas. But other than that, it feels really fair. Shooting a raider in the eyes, should be able to blind and stagger him unlike in 4 where I could unload a full 10mm clip into a raiders face and he'll still be able to find me.
>>
>>10875113
This but unironically
>>
>>10874596
They aren't

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.