[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000027182.jpg (107 KB, 662x463)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
about to play this for the first time and yes, the translated snes version because I am too much of a poor fag to buy this on DS and missed the opportunity to get that version back when it came out in 2009 since I was young and didn't know anything about the dragon quest games. any tips would be welcome and you are free to discuss who is better waifu between the 2 in the snes version. got the game booted up on a little hamdheld emulator and can't wait to have a comfy time with it.
>>
>>10874853
A lot of contrivances and Deus Ex Machina to move the plot along.
>>
I've heard a lot of good things, like that this one has the most feels and such and an incredibly good story too. I've only played 8(ps2), 9 on the DS and just got to the end of dq11-S. always loved rpg games.
>>
>>10874853
It's DQ made for FF fans. That means more railroading, worse exploration and world design than any of the other first 6 DQ titles. Also >>10874859
>>
It's the best DQ game.
>>
>>10875196
that's what I keep hearing, I wish I would have own about the franchise sooner. I didn't get into rpgs until much later on. the prices are so high for the DS port.
>>
>>10875228
It’s on mobile too - I had a couple of tears comfy commuting in London going through DQ1-6 on the phone
>>
4 and 5 are both extremely based.
>>
>>10875261
The phone ports of Dragon Quest 1- 6 are arguably the best versions of those games.
>>
>>10875568
Don't know about 4-6 but the first three look like absolute trash on mobiles, there's literally no reason to play these versions over the SNES remakes (or the originals even) unless you are 'anti-piracy' or some shit
>>
>>10875582
There is one reason to play mobile III, it added the tactics system from IV with the more advanced AI from VII, if you like that kinda thing.
>>
>>10875582
4-6 on mobile is literally just the DS versions with an awkward but not unusable touchscreen interface.
>>
>>10874859
>>10874936
This. It's pretty good, but the plot and storytelling are super awkward and bad at some points. Lots of monsters to recruit who eventually are mostly useless. It's good because it's a DQ game and pretty well done in most aspects, but 3, 4, and 6 are all much much better.
>>
>>10875878
Because the monsters in 6 are so much more useful, right?
>>
Don't listen to the naysayers. The story made me cry three times.
>>
>>10875917
They're at least not replaced by your family in the last 5th of the game. I mean sure, I could leave my family at home and keep rocking with just a bunch of monsters but that makes the whole narrative aspect seem even worse.
>>
>>10875935
The game gives you the option to make that decision. It's not the game's fault you personally can't choose between monsters and your family.

Also, VI has 7 human characters. You're still gonna have to leave humans behind if you want to use monsters. There are also significantly less monsters and you have to use a guide to know which are recruitable, as the only in game information about that is at the very end when all the recruitable monster sprites are found living in the town in the bonus dungeon. There are some monsters I love in VI, but the really strong ones are so hard to recruit I wouldn't blame anybody for just skipping them. Monsters in VI are just a optional throwback to V, they are nowhere near as necessary.
>>
>>10875951
Meh, I mean my main problem with V is the story is kinda bad / badly told and your family is a huge part of the last chunk of the game. So while surely you can ignore them and stick with your monsters it makes that aspect seem even worse. Again it's not awful, but compared to 4 and 6, 5 just didn't stand up to me.
>>
File: IMG_20220820_132932.jpg (98 KB, 494x879)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>10874853
>can't wait to have a comfy time with it.
You'll definitely have that, anon. Only thing you're really missing out in with the DS versions is the party chat feature, which adds to comfiness, but really for all I know the SFC version has that. I've never really looked into it.

When you're done, you can watch the 2019 movie "Dragon Quest: Your Story" which roughly rehashes the plot of this game. It's dumb, but fun.

>any tips would be welcome
Talk to everyone, check everything, and don't be afraid to just swap out monsters that aren't working for your team. Some of them just suck.
>who is better waifu
I like Bianca and always have. I like her orange/turqoise color scheme, and she just feels like a better fit for the hero. Nera is tempting because of the heal spells, but monsters and other future party members can and will outclass her at that. Plus, Bianca's dad seems really chuffed about the marriage, and he seems like he deserves some relief. Plus, whips are always handy.
>>
>>10876105
>Only thing you're really missing out in with the DS versions is the party chat feature, which adds to comfiness, but really for all I know the SFC version has that
It doesn't. That wouldn't be a thing until DQ7.
>>
>>10874853
3 is the only good one. I recommend playing it on SNES and ignoring the rest of the series
>>
>>10876259
I recommend not listening to this anon.
>>
>>10874853
OP you faggot don't be a poser nigger and play 4 first it's the first game in the trilogy (DQ4-6)
Reddit Quest 5 is the weakest game out of the three and if you start with it you'll lose any desire to play the others, hell you won't even finish 5
>>
thanks for the comments frens, having a comfy time already, just gonna take it slow till I can cop a copy of the DS version for cheap one day.
>>
>>10876491
lol everyone says they barely even mention things from the other games and for all we know the father is searching for the luminary from dq11 as some people have a theory the luminary goes back in time.
>>
>>10874853
Try the ps2 release if you can. That one is so well translated and is a good way to play V
>>
>>10876551
the chibi 3D models look like ass
can't believe a ''fan favorite'' game from the most popular RPG series in Japan got a shovelware tier remake with graphics made for toddlers
>>
>>10876561
Yeah and it's somehow still really good. It doesn't look like "ass" like you claim and the english patch is really well done. Makes the rest of the series seem amateurishly done.
>>
File: dqv hero slimes.jpg (115 KB, 1024x676)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>10875878
I immediately disregard the posts of anyone who says 6 is better than 5, it's just blatant contrarianism. 6 is the most forgettable game in the series, the party members are all mostly forgettable (one literally only exists to give you a boat), the monster catching is shittier than 5, and the vocation system is fucking horrible.

>>10875993
>t-the story is badly told!
And 6's isn't when it just fucking copies some of 5's story and the pacing is fucking glacial? I was less annoyed by how slow DQ7 was because at least that game had interesting party members, I didn't give a fuck about any of the dimeless nobodies in 6. The only actually interesting party member you get is Terry, who you get extremely late into the game so he's barely fucking relevant. Ashlynn's also okay story-wise I guess even if she only exists just to use magic burst on the final boss and then go back into the fucking wagon where she belongs.
>>
>>10876595
Not him and I wouldn't say it looks like ass, but I think the DS version looks better. I like the low poly mixed with sprites more than the full 3D smooth look.
>>
>>10876613
Maybe it's that 6 was even keeled and didn't feel like it let me down. I find after the wedding, 5 just falls apart and by the end I was pretty disappointed. I took a break for a while, when I played 6 it all felt more cohesive. 4 is my favorite out of the 3 which is ironic because it's the one I hated at first.
>>
>>10876613
Terry was the most boring party memeber in 6
the rest are all good from the blond witch with amnesia to the virgin christian chud looking midget
meanwhile in 5 the only good party member is the one added by the NDS version, fuck the generic blue haired tranime girl #8547 and fuck the generic Le childhood freind #7859
at least Debora had funny dialogue
>>
File: dqv hero saber.gif (190 KB, 400x250)
190 KB
190 KB GIF
>>10876621
Literally how does 5 "fall apart" after the wedding?

>>10876623
>to the virgin christian chud looking midget
You mean the guy who literally only exists to give you a boat and is never relevant again?
V also has Sancho who's enjoyable and Tuppence, and the kids are very enjoyable characters as well. Harry is also great for the short time you get him, wish he could've been a mainstay.
You are right on Deborah being the best wife though.
>>
thinking 6 isn't not just the worst of the trilogy but probably franchise as a whole is ultimate retarded contrarian opinion
>>
>>10876647
6 is the best game in the series after 7
Reddit Quest 5 sucks
>>
>>10876661
VI is severely underrated (even overhated), but V is not a bad game. Please stop.
>>
File: 19565689652.gif (358 KB, 220x293)
358 KB
358 KB GIF
>>10876663
>V is not a bad game
perhaps but it's extremly overrated and it does not live to it's reputation leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth
5,8 and 11 are the unholy trinity of overrated poser-core DQ games
>>
>>10876661
>reddit reddit reddit
ah yes, the preferred insult of the child without arguments
>>
File: dq metal slime.gif (463 KB, 1260x1179)
463 KB
463 KB GIF
>>10876647
This, the only games you can reasonably argue are worse are 1 or 2. Considering the contrarian instantly resorted to just shitposting shows how no one can defend it genuinely.

>>10876663
I don't even hate 6, it's a DQ game so its still "good", and I personally dislike 1 and 2 more, but it lacks literally anything to make it stand out or anything that would ever make me want to replay it. 3 has great party-building and sense of adventure, 4's characters are fun, 5 is well-paced and monster catching/marriage allows for unique parties each run, 7 is admittedly a game I would never want to replay but its story and characters were enjoyable enough to stick with me. 6 has nothing, its world is pointlessly bloated, the vocation system was better done in 7 and 9, and the vocations just makes a majority of the party members just feel the same unless you go out of your way to use sub-optimal builds to make them unique (like I did my first run but it just made some of my party members useless since some jobs are just blatantly better than others)

>>10876671
sounds like you just got filtered and are mad at people rightfully shitting on your favorite lol
>>
>>10876678
>the only games you can reasonably argue are worse are 1 or 2
even Twitter Quest 11 is worse than 1 AND 2
you exposed yourself for the poser drone you are
>>
>>10876661
>6 is the best game
>reuses the twists from 5 but worse
>explanation for shit in 4-5 is lame
>complete downgrade from 5 in terms of characters which is like first time the series tries to have actual characters with more than one line of dialogue
>most relevant character in the lore in Barbara is sidelined for guy whose only plot relevance is a contrived "it came to me in a dream" to give MC a boat
>kept-over monster-recruiting with only fucking 20 random monsters available
>world map is fuckawful to explore
>class system is grindy garbage that downgrades your stats to extreme amounts save for the final classes
>probably most forgettable final boss in the series
seriously, it's mental anyone would say this is better than V
>>
>>10876739
>>reuses the twists from 5 but worse
the only ''twist'' in 5 was the shitty ''you turned into a stone and you will stary that way for a decade until your wife and kids magically appear one day to save you and continue the game like nothing happened''
it was so fucking bad, at least 6 and the dream world were inetersting
>explanation
two fucking worlds to explore + you can dive under the sea, much better than the semi-linear slop of 5
>characters
5 had no good characters except Debora (from a remake) it didn't even have proper party members you spend a good chunck of the the game tagging with shitty boring monsters, if i wanted to play a monster collecting game i'd play SMT, a DQ game without human party members is not a DQ game, thank god 6 went back to the roots
>class system is grindy
what did you expect? a piss easy walk in the park like 5? nope 6 is a real RPG requiring you to do the needed preparation in order to make progress
>final boss
the average Reddit Quest 5 poser cannot even tell you the name of the final boss

Reddit Quest 5 is a barebones slop for storyfag and even the story fucking sucks compared to 4 and 6 b-b-but since it was about Le marriage and Le cute children posers loved it, it's so wholesome and cute!!!
>>
>>10876784
that butthurt huh? 6fags truly are a deranged kind
>>
>>10876784
>the average Reddit Quest 5 poser cannot even tell you the name of the final boss
Unless you're using the DS localization that just names him after a Russian chess player (complete with forced accent) because they couldn't figure out how to properly localize his actual name.
>>
>>10876795
>Unless you're using the DS localization
no respectable DQ fan should used the localized shit, it's godawful
just learn japanese, DQ games are all babby speak anyway
>>
>>10876784
imagine getting this unbelievably butthurt over one of the more solid jarpigs of the 16-bit generation
>>
File: 1592156839777.jpg (9 KB, 200x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>10876784
>at least 6 and the dream world were inetersting
>two fucking worlds to explore + you can dive under the sea, much better than the semi-linear slop of 5
>nope 6 is a real RPG requiring you to do the needed preparation in order to make progress
>>>needed preparation
>when you can just make everyone a sage for multi-heals to make the game far easier than 5
This is fucking rich, thanks for proving that 6fags are idiots so I can completely ignore them anytime someone says 6 is good.
>>
>>10876784
kek look at all those seething 5troons replies
>>
>>10876909
samefagging a reply pretending to be someone else pointing out the "seething X" replies never makes you look any less pathetic, rookie samefagger mistake
>>
>>10876806
Fair, but if forced, I'll take the original Dragon Warrior localizations every time. At least they don't make a total mockery of the material.
>>
>>10876617
This, the DS games look like PS1 games, be aware that it has accents that will be harder for American to understand
>>
>>10874936
>It's DQ made for FF fans
This is exactly what I was thinking when I was playing the game.
V is the only DQ I haven't finished, I played through all the rest, and as I was closing in on the finish line decided to save V for last to end on what's considered a high note, but it turned out to be a wet fart instead, and I have no motivation of a different mainline DQ to move on to after finishing V, so I just stopped about 3/4ths in.
>>
>>10876978
They're all literally derived from the PS1 remake of DQ4, which itself was derived from DQ7 for the same console.
>>
>>10876981
Yes, but the fact is that the DS allows for PS1 style graphics
>>
>>10876980
>V is the only DQ I haven't finished
how do you people get through the messes like 2 and 6 and somehow think 5 is the bad one and black sheep
>>
>>10876992
Because they're shitposting contrarians who want le ebin imageboard credit
Notice how they never give any actual arguments about why 5's bad.
>>
>>10876934
meds
>>
>>10876992
5 is not good and 6 is much better than it, stop being a drone taking every criticism to your ''cult classic'' as a personal attack
>>
>>10877004
>5 is not good
ok, how is the second most liked game after 3 (in japan too) "not good"
>>
>>10877008
>x game is popular so it must be good!!!
D R O N E
R
O
N
E
>>
>>10874853
A surprisingly good story, up there with FF6. The gameplay isn't fantastic, but it introduces a lot of small conveniences over the NES DQ games. The music is seriously, tearjerkingly beautiful at points.
>>
>>10877019
>up there with FF6
so it's shit?
>>
>>10876992
With II, I took a break for a while, then came back with the motivation of having VI and V to look forward to after.
With VI, I took a long break (likely burnout because I had played through IV, III, I, VII, XI, and II in the span of about 8 months) and then ended up really enjoying it past the first couple hours plus I had V to look forward to after.
With V I wasn't enjoying it much, the higher difficulty tuning of the PS2 version made things more rough to enjoy when I missed the wagon completely until last minute and had to grind out a party on the new continent, and what amount of story there was to enjoy started to fall apart and feel rushed when you get married and then have a kid a week later without so much as a screen saying "9 months later" even though they literally had time skip screens prior to this. I also hated having these stupid monsters follow me around for a good chunk of the game and dearly missed having real party members. The kids were nice, hell I liked them enough to buy a set of the gashapon figures just to have some nice merch of the kids, but overall the game just really wasn't doing it for me and was becoming tiresome to play so I put it down and ended up never coming back nearly 5 years later now.
For reference on where I was in the game, I never cured the petrification on my wife and I last remember being in a dungeon that involved a lot of minecart riding, might have been the castle before you get it to fly, I don't really remember beyond that.

V was just really disappointing, people hype it up as some big grand amazing game, but its just meh.
Also I think a lot of the fun I had with VI was due to me playing VII first, so VI was very interesting as its practically like a beta VII in a sense, and I fucking loved VII, its either my favorite or second favorite, I'd have to replay VIII to really determine that since VIII was my favorite before I hit my DQ high in 2017 and actually played through most of these.
>>
>>10877023
Post your favorite JRPGs right now.
>>
File: 1662093191629.jpg (46 KB, 413x466)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>10877028
Nocturne
>>
>>10874853
The one early DQ with a great story
>>
File: 1656200149656.jpg (47 KB, 360x360)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>10877024
>5's story "falls apart" because of a subtle timeskip
>struggling with the gameplay because of your own retardation of missing the wagon means the game is at fault
>>
>>10877004
lmao says the 6fag who keeps seething whenever his sacred cow DQ6 is rightfully called boring shit.

6 is bottom tier along with DQ1, I'd honestly even put 2 above it since 2 is shorter and wastes your time less.
>>
>>10877154
even DQ1 is better than 5
>>
>>10877152
>5's story "falls apart" because of a subtle timeskip
Its inconsistent and comes out of nowhere. Then the game just speeds through pregnancy, child birth, and your wife being kidnapped in about 10 minutes. It gave me some severe whiplash from the sudden breakneck speed the plot started advancing at, like fucking imagine if you go through that initial cave, then return home, and you get a 10 minute montage of exploring the castle with Bianca, your father dying, and you becoming a slave. It'd be shit right? Yeah, that's how I feel about the pregnancy.
>struggling with the gameplay because of your own retardation of missing the wagon means the game is at fault
Yes, the game is at fault when they spike the difficulty up so damn high you get instantly murdered in half the encounters and aren't allowed to backtrack by any means. The wagon should have been forced on the player far earlier.
I had to look up a guide and pray to the RNG gods to manage to run from everything and complete the fucking Zoom quest for the game to allow me to travel back to the previous continent, it is dogshit game design, and all they really had to do to fix it was allow fucking chimera wings to send me back, or hell let me take the boat back, but noooo instead I get stuck in a 4 hour slog of hell because of an glaring oversight in the game's design.
>>
This thread makes me feel like the /vg/ people finally stepped out of their containment board.
Talking about DQ2 like it's an objective shit game and being compared to it is a disgrace. Fucking seriously.
>>
>>10877775
this
2 mogs the shit out of 6
>>
>>10876671
This is why I begged you to stop. Now you've got the whole thread shitting on VI, my favorite game. You've made us VI-enjoyers look terrible.
>>
>>10877775
Is that where most of the DQ2 praise is coming from? Makes sense. It's one of the most astroturfed games I've seen on this site in a long time.
>>
>>10877171
>Its inconsistent and comes out of nowhere. Then the game just speeds through pregnancy, child birth, and your wife being kidnapped in about 10 minutes.
Except that isn't what happens.

>Yes, the game is at fault when they spike the difficulty up so damn high you get instantly murdered in half the encounters and aren't allowed to backtrack by any means.
Or you could try not being a filtered retard lol
>>
>>10878016
>Except that isn't what happens.
That is what happens
>Or you could try not being a filtered retard lol
Its a genuine flaw in the game's design, and the fact that you can't accept it shows how insecure you are about the game and how much you don't want to admit any part of it is shit, proving everyone who is shitting on it correct.
>>
>>10876640
>Literally how does 5 "fall apart" after the wedding?
I think the whole wedding section in general is just so clumsy badly done, everything that comes after has the stink on it. To be clear, I'm not saying DQ6 is an incredible game, I just like it better than 5.
>>
>>10877775
hating 2 is the poser thing to do just like pretending 5 is good
>>10877881
Reddit Quest 5 posers are subhumans and their opinion worth shit, they are not real DQ fans
>>
>>10876671
>it's extremly overrated and it does not live to it's reputation leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth
Neither of these statements are true unless your brain has been replaced with ABC gum.
>>
>>10878293
Not him, but as it's my least favourite out of that trilogy and the amount of hate 6 seems to get, I can't help but kind of agree. I don't like the terms overrated and underrated as I think they're pointless but the notion that for some 5 stands head and shoulders above the others is a little surreal to me. To me 4 is maybe an 8 out of 10, 6 is a 7.5 and 5 is maybe a 7 or so, they're not that far off each other.
>>
>>10878293
>Neither of these statements are true
you're not fooling anyone you drone faggot
>>
Crazy that there's such a fucking hate squadron all just to shit on a game as insignificant as Dragon Quest V.
>>
>>10878362
I'm interested in playing it, but all this stuff makes me second guess what people have said about it if people are actually apparently so attached to it because it's the *least* DQ DQ game, as people here are saying.

Are 3 and 4 really that good in comparison?
>>
>>10878362
>>10878386
It's good, but it's more backlash to the DQV IS THE BEST DQ EVAR ONLY SHILLS AND FAGGOTS DISAGREE!!!!!!

I mean, it's a fine game, but it's not that great.
>>
To me, Dragon Quest is an RPG series that encourages you to go slow, relax, and enjoy just wandering around the map with your party members in search of that next village or castle where something will happen. DQ5 doesn't really let you do that, as the nature of the plot is constantly rushing you to the next major location with almost no ability to explore freely, and that's why I can't get into it like I can other DQ games.
>>
>>10878386
The games are fucking numbered. Don't play DQ5 before finishing DQ1-4. And don't play 6-11 before fishining DQ5.
>>
>>10878386
You don't need to listen to this autist >>10878415 the games aren't nearly so connected that you can't enjoy them any way you want if you don't have a mental disorder.
>>
>>10878398
My first and overall fave is 8, and the impression I get is that people basically admit that it's the best...but begrudgingly, like they wish some more old school game was actually much better so they could credibly claim it's not that good in comparison, but basically can't because it really is solid.

11 in my experience is decent, it's not exceptional in the ways 8 is, but it really refines the battle system and take advantage of that with the Draconian Challenges, which really elevates it (the one fault I have with them is specifically that one of them makes your armor completely useless, screwing over a significant aspect of the game, instead of doing the obvious thing and lowering your defense to make armor MORE important than otherwise).

Anyway, just because I want to know, game would you say is the most "meaningfully open", however you want to interpret that?
>>
>>10878429
To me, DQ8's party feels so... there compared to that of 11. The whole story is really all about Trode and Medea, and the others are essentially mercenaries along for the ride. That said, 8 has a much better world map (i.e. not poorly-disguised hallways) and doesn't lose itself in badly-localized goofiness as much. I'd call both a tossup, but neither would be my absolute favorite. For me, it's DQ2, no irony.
>>
>>10878429
I haven't played 8 or 11 yet, but they both interest me, with 8 particularly. I've just played 1-6 and then 9 which I actually really, really enjoyed. I tried to get into 7 when it came out and just couldn't
>>
>>10878463
>the others are essentially mercenaries along for the ride
Yangus is the real star of the show though, especially in the English version where he's maybe the best party member in any JRPG characterization wise, and him being a for hire bandit is a huge part of his character.

The alchemy pot is also just a fantastic 'gimmick' that ties multiple elements of the game in with each other and gives you reason to explore, experiment and figure things out.

The orchestrated soundtrack also barely needs recommending.

The biggest peeve I have with the game mechanically is the way you're forced to spec into weapon classes, which severely limits the viable tools you can use, and mostly wastes the opportunity you'd otherwise have to tactically swap out weapons for different scenarios. The way DQ in general allow in battle equipment swapping is hugely underrated as a source of tactical options.
>>
>>10878526
The Yangus (and Trode) voice actors were so good in the English version. Original version in Japanese had no voice acting, had chiptune music instead of the orchestrated stuff and 8bit looking menus. Too bad versions after the PS2 English version weren't so consistent in keeping those things. Playable Morrie and Red was cool in the latest versions though.
>>
>>10878526
>The biggest peeve I have with the game mechanically is the way you're forced to spec into weapon classes, which severely limits the viable tools you can use, and mostly wastes the opportunity you'd otherwise have to tactically swap out weapons for different scenarios.
It's not a bad system, it's just clearly the prototype for XI's. It was undercooked. The biggest problem with it is you have to invest 100% blindly and there's no respecing.
>>
>>10877013
B A D T A S T E
A
D
T
A
S
T
E
>>
>>10878986
>100% blindly
Not quite, there's an NPC in the first port town that will tell you when you will learn a new skill. So its more like you're 90% blind.
>>
>>10879123
>when you will learn a new skill
So not *what* it is? That's completely useless information. That's 99.9% blind.
>>
>>10879148
Honestly I don't remember if she says what it is, but I feel like she probably doesn't.
>>
>>10874853
The statue sequence is utterly brilliant, one of the game's many wowing moments, you're in for a treat OP
>>
>7
>good
I don't even need to read the rest of this comment chain.
>>
>>10874853
Recruit a slime knight. Those guys are basically a second main character in terms of usefulness and utility.
>>
File: 20220918_104328~3.jpg (1.04 MB, 2391x2046)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>10880573
Better yet, get yourself a metal slime. They're so badass it almost feels like cheating.
>>
>>10882214
Yeah, just get one of the hardest monsters to recruit.

Very based picture, but most people will never recruit a metal slime.
>>
File: 20221005_015007~2.jpg (1.43 MB, 2088x3224)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>10882223
It honestly really wasn't hard.
>>
>>10882307
From the wiki you have a chance of 1/256 to recruit one if you kill a metal slime as the last enemy of a battle.
>>
>>10882434
This, and of course, the most famous aspect of the metal slime is that it both runs away most turns and is fast enough to make the first move (running away) almost every time
>>
>>10882434
>>10882502
I never looked up the odds, maybe just got lucky, but once I'd figured out how to kill them reliably it didn't take long.
>>
>>10882434
According to a guide, the more you fight an enemy, the more chance you'll have to recruit it. I don't believe the numbers in the guide are correct however. I killed more than a 100 king cureslime in the PS2 version and he would never join.
>>
>>10882307
>marrying Nera
For what purpose?
If you say for your kid's hair color then you're based
>>
>>10884035
The recruitment odds never go down at any point. I know what guide you are talking about, and the author's point wasn't that the probability ever goes down, but rather that it is almost impossible to be so unlucky that you miss more than 4x the amount of battles required to recruit the monster. So if a monster has 1 in 256 recruitment odds, it's almost impossible to not get it by 1024 battles.
>>
>>10885553
Yeah, literally it was just for the hair color. I found them all kind of annoying so just went with the one that would give me the coolest looking kids. Shingoo was my one and only.
>>
>>10885632
The Mobile version adds a new item that increases the chances of a monster offering to join up with you, but I think it's one of those super-pricy casino items.
>>
File: 20240427_095558~2.jpg (2.08 MB, 2735x3787)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>10882307
Speaking of luck, has anyone else noticed the casinos in these games are super easy? I started a replay of 6 and within less than 40 minutes went from spending all my cash on 120 tokens to getting enough to speed through a good chunk.
>>
File: 20221020_140031~3.jpg (1.09 MB, 2533x1994)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>10887192
And virtually the same thing happened in 5 and also with a line of melons.
>>
>>10874853
You're going to miss out on a lot of kino dialogue as well as best wife and fourth active party member by not playing the DS version. Your loss.
>>
>>10887192
Yes, you do have insane luck. However at least one of the slots is rigged to let things like that happen more often.
>>
>>10887192
>has anyone else noticed the casinos in these games are super easy?
Yeah, the odds are actually stacked to the players favour.
>>
>>10887957
>one of the slots is rigged to let things like that happen more often.
I feel like there's at least one NPC per game telling you the same thing, but I'm still pretty sure it's just raw luck.
One of the creators is a notorious gambler, so it feels even more like a silly inside joke...
>>
>>10888578
Not in the original. I wanted to kill myself wasting hours getting so few tokens and resetting my console over and over.
>>
How difficult would a 100% recruitment run in the DS or PS2 version of V be?
>>
>>10882307
I beat this game earlier this year and I the first metal slime I killed joined my team. That proves to me it isnt hard and I got one pretty quick savescuming on the ps2 version
>>
>>10889068
ffs, it's a 1 in 256 chance. You just got lucky.

I remember in VI getting the duplichat as an item drop without even trying. The odds are 1 in 2056. It took an entire week to do again on another file. It would be retarded of me to say it's an easy drop to get.
>>
File: db8.png (236 KB, 634x650)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
>>10876784
>being this fucking assblasted over a jap monster funny game on a mongolian basket weaving forum
Holy autism
>>
File: 1000087609.jpg (981 KB, 1080x2400)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
I tried DQ IV inspired by this thread and it's alright
>>
>>10890462
I kind of hated the beginning where it keeps switching you back to level 1 characters, but once it all comes together was great.
>>
>>10874853
Just emulate the DS game
>>
>>10889042
I spent like 5 hours trying to get a king healslime. never did.
>>
File: wp8838467-3988684841.jpg (93 KB, 1600x1200)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
I have played the first five DQs in order and finished V about two months ago. I take a pretty substantial break between each game so I don't get burnt out.

V is my second favorite after III.

My final party in V was myself, the kids, Sancho, a Slime Knight, a Chimera, a Golem, and a regular slime who was the first recruited monster I'd kept with me since the beginning. I felt kind of bad about not using Bianca or Saber but by the end of the game my team had become too established to change.

Since finishing the game I've seen a lot of people cite Slime Knight and Golem as two of the best monster recruits. I feel like chimera is underrated, it learns really good healing way before normal party members do and with the boomerang it's helpful for dealing just enough damage for the stronger party members to each take monsters out in one more hit. Slime was pretty useful in some points, was the fastest party member for most of the game and learned kabuff really early, those two qualities are a great combination. I'm sure things like the King Heal Slime are better, but these two were solid companions the entire game.

Besides the most popular monsters, what other monsters have anons here played through the game with? How did they do and what was their playstyle like?
>>
>>10878242
>I think the whole wedding section in general is just so clumsy badly done
How?
>>
>>10876671
>It's popular so it's le not as good!
I recommend eating a gun.
>>
>>10876784
>the story fucking sucks compared to 4 and 6
4 isn't that great and we need to admit this.
You go through several "chapters" with a minimal story where you must grind the whole time and then repeat that about 4 times, the game only starts on the last chapter. Mother 3 renders DQ4 obsolete.
>>
>>10891285
I remember getting an Orc King, they're pretty great. Which version did you play? I need to try the PS2 version sometime since I've only ever beat the DS version.

>>10891328
It isn't paced like 6/7 by making you backtrack through town 10 times or climb the same tower 5 times so it's "too fast" and "clumsy"

>>10891336
Mother 3 has its own problem of one of the party members just not getting their own chapter, but yeah I think I prefer how Mother 3 did its chapter system, though I still like DQ4 a lot. Party chat definitely helps the party feel more memorable, something I wish the Mother series had. Also I wish healie could be a permanent party member.
Now, Mother 1? Literally just DQ2 but actually good. DQ2's still a good game but Mother 1 just copies its style and does it better, also Lloyd being shit is probably an intentional joke making fun of the prince of cannock in DQ2 which took me way too long to realize.
>>
>>10877775
I played 1 then dropped 2 after the tower and went to 3. Best decision to make, 2 is just a forgettable JRPG. Without "Dragon Quest" on the title it could be any bargain bin slop. It has no charm or identity of its own.
>>
>>10891448
Neither does 1.
>>
>>10891489
1 is Dragon Quest incarnate. 2 is just copy pasted shit. It's not even a contest.
>>
>>10891498
What does DQ2 copypaste? Most of the game does not take place on Alefgard. 1 is the most barebones jrpg in existence. Nothing to stand out.
>>
>>10891503
It copy pastes Dragon Quest, without any of the charm of the first. It's just another JRPG. DQ1 is special specifically because it was first.
>>
>>10891393
I played the ios version, and people will probably shit on me for it just because of the platform but as far as I know it's basically just the DS version on a single screen with a few very minor changes.

I assume an Orc King is pretty much a tank, probably similar to Golem.
>>
>>10891498
Nah, DQ2 is far better than DQ1
Anyone who doesn't agree on 3 > 2 > 1 for DQ is a contrarian for sure.
>>
>>10891624
Literally 0 people ever played or shilled for 2 besides here ITT. It fucking sucks.
>>
>>10891640
2 has a plot, it has adventure and it has combat that isn't just spam fight (because the offensive spells are worthless in 1). 3 things 1 doesn't have.
>>
>>10891651
1 has a plot. 1 has adventure, and there are 0 JRPGs that don't boil down to spam fight. 1 is SOUL and 2 is BORING.
>>
>>10891656
1 doesn't have a plot beyond "go kill the dragonlord". You're just grinding until you have the right macguffins to let you go to the castle. Also there's a princess being guarded by a dragon but you can ignore it and the game doesn't care.
>>
>>10891640
No one is shilling for 30 year old games. Learn what that word even means.
>>10891656
>1 has a plot
Barely
>1 has adventure
And 2 has three times as much adventure
>and there are 0 JRPGs that don't boil down to spam fight
Blatantly false
>1 is SOUL and 2 is BORING
Neither are soul and both are boring, however 2 is less boring than 1 because you don't spend 85% of your time just grinding for levels and gold. Its more like 60% of your time in 2.
>>
>>10891671
>>10891663
2 is boring, longer, padded, trash and shit. Nobody cares, 3 >1 > 2 bro.
>>
>>10891675
1 is the most boring DQ, period. You cannot refute this, it is absolutely barebones with nothing to keep it engaging.
You play through DQ1 just to say you did, not for any sort of entertainment.
>>
>>10891676
At least I played through DQ1! 2 is just a snoozefest.
>>
>>10891679
Its not healthy to try this hard to be contrarian. DQ1 has to be the first video game you ever played to get any sort of joy from it.
>>
>>10891682
Nah, I played it a few years ago the first time and it was great. Then jumped into 2 and got bored as fuck. Then I skipped it for 3 and had a blast. Honestly 2 is just shit.
>>
>>10891686
I don't know how you managed to come to that conclusion.
I could not fathom playing 1 without fast forward, and even with it, grinding was so slow that I ended up save state spamming to keep the dragonlord asleep while I chipped away at him at level 19 or 20 with with Erdrick's Sword.
2 was engaging enough for me to play it legit until I got to the infamous Cave of Rhone.
>>
>>10891694
I used fast forward in all 3, let's not pretend RPGs aren't a waste of time.
>>
>>10891697
They aren't.
Most recently, I had played through Megami Tensei II, and never used fast forward or anything once.
>>
>>10891706
There is absolutely no reason *not* to speed up in any of these games.
>>
>>10891713
I tend to play RPGs to experience them, not to rush through them as fast as I can.
If combat is paced well, there's no need to fast forward, it just breaks immersion.
>>
>>10891720
>immersion
No wonder you like 2, you tolerate slow grinding rpgs.
>>
>>10891723
>you tolerate slow grinding rpgs.
That is rich coming from the dude who likes DQ1
>>
>>10891726
I said 1 is better than 2, not that I *like* it. I tolerate it. Meanwhile, there is no good argument to be made whatsoever for not speeding up what you do a thousand times to make it go faster (that is, pressing A to select a command and watch the same animation play over and over)
>>
>>10891727
Well I don't like 2 either, but its certainly better than 1. It does everything better than 1, its a big step up, but 1 is so bottom of the barrel that 2 is still not very good anyways despite being such an improvement.
>>
>>10891730
Nah, 1 has the excuse of being the first. 2 is just 1 again, but with party members. It's not great. 3 blows them both out of the water.
>>
>>10891732
First or not, its still barebones and a slog to get through
>2 is just 1 again, but with party members
You say that like it isn't a huge step up. Having multiple party members and fighting more than one enemy at a time in battle alone already puts 2 way above 1.
2 is where DQ really started to get it's footing, its like the real first game in a sense, its similar to many other game series where the second game improves vastly upon the first such as Megaman, or like I mentioned before, Megami Tensei.
>>
>>10891735
That would be cool if it made a difference, but it's just pressing A more in battle. Not like 3 where party members actually do things.
>>
>>10891737
Party members do do things though, you literally have the blueprints for Warrior, Mage, and Priest in DQ2. You also now have to consider groups of enemies and which group to attack first.
>>
>>10891747
I just spammed A like DQ1 and it was almost entirely the same experience.
>>
From what I gather form people's responses, playing through 3 and 4 would be the best thing for me to do, as they'd be not primitive like the first 2 games, and yet are also less linear than what came after. Is that a fair judgement?
>>
>>10891812
3 is very nonlinear, and often considered among the best in the series. It's my personal favorite. I recommend the SNES version, it has great animations and more importantly -while your party members almost never have dialog - they do have personalities in the remake that affects stat growth and it adds a lot of customization and flavor to the game. It's a prequel set long before 1 and 2, but stands perfectly fine as its own game.

4 is the start of a new trilogy, but also takes place long before the other two and stands as its own game. The first half is very linear, after that it kind of switches between more open and more closed direction. I've seen it cited as one of the best DQ games pretty frequently too though.

I would say the customization of 3 (SNES) gives it more complexity than 4, and 3 definitely has more general freedom and is less linear. People tend to like 4 more for the story.
>>
>>10891812
3 is the most non-linear, while 4 is more linear sort of sets the trend of how most future DQ games will be like.
>>
>>10891838
>>10891839
Ok, so 3 it is then. Hearing it's a prequel, rather than a sequel to the first two games pretty much puts aside the last qualm I might have playing it. Is there any way to mod the game to get what people consider the "best possible" experience out of its multiple versions (which is how it played XI), or is that super iffy?

I'm kind of shocked, because everyone raves about 5 and acts like it's the "most definite" DQ, but its is really the case that it's that restrictive and story driven (as this thread is implying), or is that just a 'fake out' and you're actually mostly free to explore despite the themes pressuring you to feel like you should be moving forward.
>>
>>10891854
3 is mostly linear with a segment that's open where you have to collect a bunch of shit to open up a new area, but the open segment is still level gated and you'll need to grind the levels and equipment you'll need if you want to do it in a non-specific order.

Play the SNES version since the extra Gameboy Color content is a huge grind and not that worth it. Or maybe wait a bit and see if the 2.5D HD remake releases this year.
>>
>>10891854
>Is there any way to mod the game to get what people consider the "best possible" experience
SNES version is generally considered the definitive one. The gameboy remake added things called monster medals which are extremely rare and only used for a poorly regarded extra bonus dungeon, I haven't played through this myself but most people I've talked to have said this content is bad and not worth engaging with. Besides this and some minor rebalancing in later versions, SNES should have everything.

>I'm kind of shocked, because everyone raves about 5 and acts like it's the "most definite" DQ, but its is really the case that it's that restrictive and story driven
I would say 5 is about even with 4 when it comes to exploration. There are plenty of times you unlock a new big chunk of world to explore at your own pace, you just wont open the next chunk until you do specific things.

5's freedom is more with the team building, you can recruit tons of monsters sort of like a proto-pokemon, which along with the named story characters you get gives you an insane amount of customization when it comes to your battle plan and team makeup. In this regard I think it surpasses even 3...eventually.

The downside is it's roughly...I don't know, like a quarter of the way into the game before you can start recruiting monsters. Maybe halfway til you really start having lots of teambuilding options.

I do consider 5 a masterpiece and it comes in a pretty close second to 3 for me, but 3 does just barely edge it out. Don't let /vr/ threads influence your perception too much though, a lot of anons really do just talk shit for no real reason. There are types of freedom in games besides exploration and 5 excels at the teambuilding aspect, at least later on when you actually have more options. I recommend 3 over it, but don't write 5 off completely just because some anons are unkind toward it, it's 4chan and some people are gonna be hypercritical of popular games.
>>
>>10891336
>4 isn't that great and we need to admit this.

Speak for yourself, I like it quite abit better than 5 or 6.
>>
>>10891285
Agreed on chimera being underrated. In Dragon Quest VI, he naturally learns skills that are exclusive to the bonus end-game Dragon class.
>>
>>10891498
>>10891565
The thing you're not understanding is that you feel that DQ2 is "generic" only because every JRPG after it copied it.

But it's still absolutely retarded to claim that 2 only "copy pasted" 1, I bet you didn't even realize it introduced tower dungeons on top of caves, plus themed-centric dungeons like the volcano; or that the goal of the game is to find a series of key items, a trope that become popular afterwards; except that unlike Zelda or everyone that copied it the key items are organic to the quests and story rather than being glorified emeralds for completing a dungeon. Or the way each party member has a backstory and everyone is treated equal in that regard and has as much reason to fight than the "hero". Or the way is world is laid out, being relatively locked in at first and increasingly gives more room for exploration little by little. That's just 4 *key* things about the game's structure that weren't in DQ1, and which weren't standard before DQ2 did it.
>>
This blind hate for DQ2 is so ridiculous I believe there could be a case study here of how meme opinions can be formed especially considering this is mostly a western thing and in Japan they acknowledge the game's legacy.
I think a good part of originates from since that interview of Horii in which he says the game was only "90% balanced" was translated. People love to take interviews and then understand what they want to understand out of it and present it as a fact. Of course that interview was from '87 and was talking about the Japanese version of the game, meanwhile the US version that people played (granted they even played the NES version at all) came out 2-3 years after and did get those extra 10% balance changes, so that interview doesn't even apply to the version people in the west played, and the funny thing is that those remaining balance changes barely make a difference on how the game plays.
Then you have the exagerations like claiming it's the most "grindy" one, even though DQ1 is nothing but grind, and DQ3 is a lot more grindy as well (the US version of 3 gives +25% exp yields, a FAR greater difference in balancing than the measly changes made for US DW2); or exagerating the importance and likelihood of insta-kill attacks, which only happen in the end close to a respawn point anyway; and while again, traps designed to kill the player are MUCH more numerous and much worse in DQ3 and start early on through the game, in the pyramid, long before the player has access to any kind of revival method short of backtracking to a priest. Then there is the usual "How were you supposed to know?", well, by listening to NPCs which always point you in the right direction (and by using the flute); while meanwhile in DQ3 NPCs send you almost straight to Jipang when you get the boat which is above the player's level at that point. "It didn't do anything new" is a new one though, I didn't see that one coming.
>>
>>10892218
Yeah but it's boring.

>>10892250
Nobody hates it bro, it just fucking sucks. Get over yourself.
>>
>>10892298
You clearly do have blind unjustified hate for it for some reason.
There is no aspect of 2 that is worse than 1 or more boring than 1.
>>
>>10892298
Not him, I played the GBC port of 1 & 2 when they came out so it's been like 25 years but I remember liking 2 quite a bit more than 1 and not that I didn't like 1.
>>
File: 1000087638.jpg (1.21 MB, 1080x2400)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
I really dig the simplicity so far.

It's a pleasant jrpg.
>>
It's pretty bad when you can't even have comfy Dragon Quest threads on /vr/ anymore. Now they're just like /v/ threads, but with less coomposting. An improvement, but still trash.
>>
>>10891686
>and it was great
Tell me right now what was great about it
>>
>>10892995
dunno, coomposting would be an improvement over this trash discussion, at least I'd be able to get off
>>
File: 20240429_171714~2.jpg (2.22 MB, 3060x2505)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>10892730
I'm glad to hear you're already enjoying it. Good luck on the rest of your adventure!

I might as well throw this here, does anyone have much experience with the DS port of 6 and the priest in Amor? Thos gave me zero troubles years back when I played the Super Fami version but finally going through this version and I seem to have fucked it somehow. I have now tried it close to a dozen times, read walkthroughs, watched videos of people doing the exact same thing but no matter what this priest won't go away no matter what. I've been in Somnia castle, talked to everyone there, did the talking with the dude in the cave and then everyone in town in what's supposed to be the right order and nothing works. Anyone have any insight before I just move on to something else?
>>
>>10893662
I played through VI on DS but don't remember how to get past that. I think I got stuck as well and looked up a guide on gamefaqs.
>>
>>10893662
You're supposed to talk to everybody in amor. There's probably just one npc you missed.
>>
>>10893226
You were just a nigga with a sword stomping around and going on an adventure. No bullshit cutscenes, nothing in your way. Raw gameplay, good music, and the charming character designs of Akira Toriyama.
>>
>>10893871
>Raw gameplay
There is no variation with what you'll do, you attack and attack until they die. You won't use spells for weaknesses, because there are only fire spells that are inferior to your regular attack.
>>
>>10893887
Let's not act like JRPGs are known for deep, nuanced gameplay. Especially not the DQ series.
>>
>>10893725
>>10893760
Yeah I looked at all the guides and have talked to everyone inntown in various orders so many times now. Something is just glitched.
>>
>>10894034
Brother, there is probably just somebody you missed. Maybe that one guy in the basement, or somebody at the inn. There is no glitch.
>>
>>10894047
I'm telling you I've talked to every single person in the town (it's not that large) multiple times in multiple orders. I've done ot side by side with youtube walkthroughs and in their's the priest leaves and in mine he stays. One thread looking into it I found mention about going to Somnia castle first so I even re-did it all after talking to everyone in the castle and still nothing.
>>
>>10894124
Just give the DS to me, I'll do it.
>>
>>10888578
That's not my experience with Dragon Quest casinos at all. What's stacked in the player's favor is that you can just reload your savefile until you get a big win, save, repeat until you have enough tokens to buy whatever you want and then some. The parody JRPG Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden deletes all of your money if you savescummed the casino which was funny to me.
>>
>>10893938
>Especially not the DQ series.

DQ, specifically XI, DOES in fact have the most deep, nuanced gameplay of any JRPG campaign though.
>>
>>10894740
The newer games might have changed things, but the whole reason Japs love DQ is because they typically keep a status quo of clunky menus and stale gameplay.
>>
>>10895067
I think they like that it's reliable and pretty much the same thing each time just with a few details shuffled around. It's the rpg equivalent of Zelda or Mario.
>>
>>10895067
>the whole reason Japs love DQ is because they typically keep a status quo of clunky menus and stale gameplay

This is absolute bullshit made up by westoids. DQ is GOOD, as in it's an actual JRPG series consisting of with actually compelling structure and full of interesting shit to find that don't typically just force you through a story and call it a day, instead basing itself around the idea that exploring and discovering shit for yourself is the real point of these games.

The bizarre narrative I hear from western JRPG fans is exactly as you are saying, that Japan just likes it because it's popular "comfort food", despite being generic, but westerners somehow understand better that it's inferior to other RPGs. That's just bullshit though. DQ is better and more clever than most JRPGs, and is really rightly held in high regard in Japan, though ironically it seems to be too 'western' for the kinds of western weebs who like JRPGs, who expect some convoluted plot about fighting Gods and crazy progression systems that constantly get swapped out or whatever the fuck these people want, but can't stand something with completely unpretentious presentation where the Church is unironically helpful and where the the music actually resembles classical instead of effectively orchestrated prog rock.
>>
>>10895143
>but can't stand something with completely unpretentious presentation where the Church is unironically helpful and where the the music actually resembles classical instead of effectively orchestrated prog rock.

Here you were almost being sensible for a moment.
>>
>>10895213
I'm not even Christian, nor do I dislike Uematsu, I'm just saying that these seem to be legit sour points for people who don't gel with DQ, which is content to be a Toriyama style interpretation of medieval/renaissance fantasy with minimal embellishment.
>>
>>10895254
I've literally never heard anyone complain about that.
>>
>>10895254
I agree. As a classical musician, the soundtrack for DQ (my first exposure being DQI+II on gameboy) immediately drew me in. A lot of RPG soundtracks can pass as classical music, but Sugiyama actually knew his stuff. If you regularly play classical music in an orchestra, you can hear in other composers the modern/anachronistic influences that they don't intend to slip in.

People will call us pretentious, but whatever. I don't hate the rock in FF soundtracks or think he is a bad orchestrator. He got really good in the later half of his career actually. But from a purely technical conversation, Sugiyama is the more period accurate composer. The obvious exception would be the casino themes, but even those are pretty accurate representations of early 20th century big band music.
>>
>>10895067
>but the whole reason Japs love DQ is because they typically keep a status quo of clunky menus and stale gameplay.
Saying this outs you as a poser who doesn't play DQ.
1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all vastly different games with completely different core mechanics and systems at play. Just look at how you engage with your party in those games.
>1
It's just you, a one man party.
>2
Two characters are added to prioritize different mechanics which forces you to weigh up which one is more valuable when low on resources.
>3
Make your own party FF1 style.
>4
A set cast of characters you play as and use individually for the opening chapters of the game, and are then forced to evaluate and switch out for the fifth chapter until the end of the game.
>5
Your party constantly changes with people coming and going, forcing the player to rely on the monster recruitment mechanic which forces you into fighting more random encounters to get specific monsters you want to fill out your party.

This is also ignoring that 9 and 10 could also be mistaken for a completely different franchise when divorced from the typical DQ aesthetics and motifs with just how different they are.
>>
>>10895825
Those are all superficial differences
>>
>>10895870
They make the games innately different to play you fucking tourist.
>>
>>10895882
No they don't. You're still using a menu and hitting fight in each one.
>>
>>10895887
>Monkey Island and Final Fantasy VI are essentially the same game
>>
>>10895893
Sure, let's take FF since you went there. The differences between FF2, FF3, and FF4 are magnitudes greater than DQ2, DQ3, and DQ4. You're focusing on number of party members and how you gain party members, while in the other series you have completely different combat systems and level progressions.
>>
>>10895913
>The differences between FF2, FF3, and FF4 are magnitudes greater than DQ2, DQ3, and DQ4
No no, FF2, 3, and 4 are all the exact same game. You're still using a menu and hitting fight in each one.
>>
>>10895143
>This is absolute bullshit made up by westoids. DQ is GOOD, as in it's an actual JRPG series consisting of with actually compelling structure and full of interesting shit to find that don't typically just force you through a story and call it a day, instead basing itself around the idea that exploring and discovering shit for yourself is the real point of these games.
This. The more JRPG series I've played the more I've come to appreciate DQ and how well done and well balanced its gameplay is most of the time. So many other JRPGs just have combat that is terribly balanced so it's easy piss easy or hard until you find some broken tactic then it returns to piss easy.
>>
>>10895143
I should clarify: clunky menus as in they kept the fucking delay in menus on purpose. Stale gameplay as in the core has not fundamentally changed in 30 years. None of these mean bad. DQ is great. Japs are resistant to change like nothing else. If a seiyuu dies they sometimes kill the character themselves. They're kind of unhinged.
>>
>>10874936
nope is not,draquest is superior end of story.
and is qutie good and fun to play (currently undecided between bianca or flora).
The DS is quite fun to play as well (specially with the image change when equiping the girls with certain armors)
>>
>>10895825
Could you do the same for 6-11?
>>
>>10895562
>But from a purely technical conversation, Sugiyama is the more period accurate composer.

I think this is the thing. Dragon Quest has a very medieval fantasy world feeling to it, so classical inspired western sounding music suits the setting very well. But Final Fantasy games tend to have a mix of fantasy but not always western feeling fantasy mixed with high technology stuff. I like the music for Dragon Quest a lot, but I don't think most of it would fit Final Fantasy very well. Bu the same token I like a lot of Final Fantasy music a lot, but it would seem very out of place in a Dragon Quest game.

That's a microcosm for how I feel about the series in general. Going back and forth over which is better feels so pointless to me, they're both so different. It's like Star Wars vs Star Trek, a pointless debate since they're not even really the same genre.
>>
>>10897831
With Final Fantasy it has been switching to rapidly different settings every time too.
>>
>>10895825
>3
>Make your own party FF1 style.
>>
>>10895825
Nah I played 1, part of 2, 3, and playing 4 now. It's correct., they aren't that different at all, and you do not have to defend DQ to me when I already like it. Things have flaws anon.
>>
>>10899101
Yeah consistency is one of the series strong suits.
>>
>>10901315
Not sure why you need to cope with this.
>>
>>10901664
How is it cope? On average I like Final Fantasy more than Dragon Quest, but I think that DQ does something consistent and reliable each time is a draw. I know what I'm going to get and it'll be a fun upbeat ride. With Final Fantasy I might get something I think is amazing or I might get something I roll my eyes at the whole time and then kinda wish I never bothered. When FF hits high for me it's better than DQ, but DQ never disappoints the way it's counterpart can. But like they say.
Whatever...
>>
>>10897993
oh my, nice angle that one.
>>
>>10901891
I don't understand comparing it to FF at all. I never even talked about Final Fantasy ITT, it has more disappointments than good games anyhow. But consistency in this context is a double edged sword, more of the same can be bad or stale. I took a break from the series for several reasons, mainly time, but eventually I'll go back to it. While you bring up FF though. one of the better games in the series (V) wholesale ripped off DQIII. It almost feels like a Chinese bootleg with an added plot.
>>
>>10903025
>While you bring up FF though. one of the better games in the series (V) wholesale ripped off DQIII
And DQ5 pretty much copied FFIV with how linear and plot-driven the game is with minimal freedom to explore outside of it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.