[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: g4130front.jpg (76 KB, 328x400)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
childhood is loving SNES 'cause my marios
adulthood is appreciating all the great MD beat 'em ups and shmups
>>
Alien Soldier could have done with a more fluid way to switch weapons.
>>
>>10875565
Why don't you appreciate SNES shmups and beat em ups too?
>>
As someone who grow up with computer games, beat-em-ups and shoot-em-up's are a little too simple and soulless for my taste. I think people would be happier playing Mario.
>>
File: 1702827346346.png (36 KB, 256x224)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>10875565
For me it's the other way around. I love Sega's own, Treasure and Konami stuff on Genesis/MD but the rest of the library does not interest me.
On SNES/SFC I don't care about Nintendo games but there is a lot on non-Nintendo games that I love.
Growing up with Genesis and then discovering SFC games later via emulation, without being restricted to just US released stuff, is probably what shaped my tastes.
>>
File: 1705689664645.png (25 KB, 256x224)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>10875660
I mean, I see how one may prefer Genesis over SNES if you restrict yourself to western releases that you played as a kid, but it's 2024 and you don't have to.
>>
>>10875565
Over-designed: The Game
>>
>>10875646
There’s a patch out there that lets you swap with x/z if you have a 6 button. I’ve been meaning to try it.
>>
>>10875565
I hate both Alien Soldier and Gunstar Heroes. No idea what people see in these games. Also Alien Soldier only even begins to become playable with the 6 button romhack.
>>
>>10875686
NAMI made this game by himself and only for himself, and it shows.
>>
the snes had kino beat em up too
>>10875650
beat em ups and shmups are really good when they're challenging and you play them seriously and put effort into being good. the issue is that lots of developers saw them as an "easy genre to make" and end up making bad games, that people will play and have a negative opinion of the genre.
i used to hate beat em ups as a kid, now it's one of my favorite genres
>>
>>10875565
Only a kid would use these gayass analogies
>>
>>10875690
its such a late genny game im surprised they didnt think to add 6-button functionality in the first place. even if it was an oblique 2 controller code like shinobi 3
pretty much everyone had a 6-button by then thanks to SF2
>>
>>10875981
nah youre just a sperg fighting a 30 year old schoolyard playground war for a dead corporation
both systems had tons of great exclusives
>>
>>10875565
>console shmpoops
lol, lmao
>>
>>10875565
I appreciate both because I am a level headed adult with access to emulation and not a combat baiting homosexual deviant
>>
>>10876808
Anon, all the play testers in Treasure were complaining so much about how hard the game was that not only did NAMI have to add an easy mode to shut them up, but CEO Maegawa himself had to sneak into the coding the night before release and tone down the damage values. This game was made solely for NAMI's own ego and he cared nothing for those who couldn't handle it, which is no doubt why he refused to add Six-Button support.
>>
>>10876856
that doesnt make any sense
6-button wouldnt have changed the core difficulty at all
its just more convenient
>>
The MD has a cool library considering it sold like shit in japan.
>>
>>10876880
>Can switch weapons instantly with no delay instead of having to gauge the risk of switching in real-time while enemies are still attacking you
Just that minor convenience changes the game so radically.
>>
Get out and never come back you fucking spammer
>>
I could never get into Alien Soldier, it didn't keep me interested enough to learn/memorize stages.
If it was an arcade game I could understand its difficulty, but holy shit, they went all out on making it as brutal as possible. And that's why no one wants to even play it, except the odd try-hards here and there who also praise the game. Fuck that shit, it's a waste of time, i'd rather play Ghosts N Goblins, at least it's fun.
>>
>>10875565
Maturity is being an Idort
>>
>>10876910
It's boss rush design akin to playing a fighting vs. the cpu, not my fav but it's ok.
>>
>>10876725
>beat em ups and shmups are really good when they're challenging and you play them seriously and put effort into being good
this is absolutely the right idea
recently replayed twilight princess for the first time in a very long time, and the 'hero mode' difficulty you can select when you start up a game made the experience that much more fun than my first playthrough
the moment a game causes you to turn your brain off during combat, it has failed
that mode, at the very least, required you not turn your brain off during fights, and it benefitted tremendously for it
>>
>>10876815
>both systems had tons of great exclusives
The SNES had Super Mario World, Link to the Past, and Super Metroid, but pretty much nothing else worth playing. I wouldn't say that's "tons".
>>
File: Turtles in Time.webm (1.58 MB, 640x480)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB WEBM
>>10877245
It has the best library ever as a result of being the main platform for Capcom and Konami at their peak.
>>
>>10877245
>but pretty much nothing else worth playing
are you pretending to be retarded on purpose?
>>
>>10877260
Then why were all of Konami's best games on other systems?
>Rocket Knight
>Contra Hard Corps
>Castlevania Bloodlines
>Snatcher
>Rondo of Blood
>Castlevania Chronicles
>Hyperstone Heist (clears TIT)
>Parodius (better on PC Engine)
>Gradius (better on PC Engine)
>Twinbee (better on PC Engine)
Same applies for Capcom actually.
>Street Fighter II (better on Mega Drive and PC Engine)
>Final Fight (better on X68000 and Mega CD)
>Ghouls and Ghosts (better on Mega Drive and PC Engine)
The one big SNES hit they had was Mega Man X (and I'm being generous because the slowdowns and awkward SNES physics are terrible to suffer through, would have been leagues better on the Mega Drive). Aside from that, there's no foundation to stand on from Konami or Capcom games for SNES fans, like everyone else they were both struggling to get the horrible and bottlenecked SNES hardware to achieve anything decent.
>>
>>10877285
Completely delusional. Hyperstone is way more boring. Just the same two foot guys over and over with 5 levels that go on for way too long. It can't even have foot enemies and other enemy types at the same time and one of the five levels is a shitty boss rush that includes the boss you just fought at the end of the previous level. It's obviously the weaker of the two.
>>
>>10877285
>ghouls 'n ghosts on md and pce
retard kun I want to end your life. super ghouls 'n ghosts is a completely separate game than ghouls 'n ghosts. the megadrive version is also one of the worst versions of the game, and its not on the pc enginge you dumb fuck. ghouls 'n ghosts was ported to supergrafx. it goes like:
Arcade = Sharp X68k > Capcom Generations Disc 2 (PSX/Saturn) > Supergrafx > Genesis > Amiga > Atari ST > C64
>>
>>10877330
>ghouls 'n ghosts is a completely separate game
A completely shitty game that's unplayable because of the horriffic slowdowns, the Mega Drive port is leagues better. I did forget about the X68000 version though, that is also way ahead of the shitty SNES game.
>ghouls 'n ghosts was ported to supergrafx
I'm glad you think you're clever. Next time use the full name of the PC Engine SuperGrafx though.
>>
>>10877336
>A completely shitty game that's unplayable because of the horriffic slowdowns
Use the restoration patch, genius.
>>
>>10877336
let me convey this information in a different way so that your monkey brain can understand it. Chohmakaimura, the third entry of the <akaimura series, is, in fact, a separate game from Daimakaimura, the second entry.
>>
nah
SNES library is better anyway
>>
>>10877342
>monkey brain
Ironic, coming from you. Let me try this again. It doesn't matter if they're two different games, because one is shit and the other is great. There's no reason to play the shit one when the great one is so similar. I know you SNES guys are so used to struggling through terrible games, but not everybody wants to subject themselves to that.
>>10877339
>it's actually a great game if you just apply a bunch of shitty fan-made patches and completely change the game!!
If you have to hack it into something playable, then it's not a great game.
>>
>>10877354
You complained about the slowdown and there's a fix for it that changes it to FastROM that removes the slowdown and the censorship from the US version. If you were being genuine with your criticism you would appreciate said patch. You're just a mentally ill retard who seethes over a game console from 30 years ago every day of your sad life.
>>
File: GNG hitboxes.webm (2 MB, 640x480)
2 MB
2 MB WEBM
The Mega Drive port of Daimakaimura has some truly awful hitboxes. Did you know it was programmed by Yuji Naka?
>>
>>10877291
agreed
>>
>>10875565
>all the great MD beat 'em ups
MD has the "best" but snes has significantly more beatemups overall
>>
>>10877285

the caravan mode is great but it is downgraded in all other aspects compared to the snes version, especially having 3 less levels. konami completely wasted the extra hucard space on the new intro and gameover screen, and shouldve made the port a Super CD game

gradius and twinbee also dont have other 16-bit console versions
also, hyper fighting isnt even on pce
>>
>>10877354
>so similar
Except they're not similar games. Each game does something different. The basic game mechanics and level of control you have over your character is radically different. The entire games levels and enemies are radically different. They're not very similar.
>>
>>10877392
>MD has the "best" but snes has significantly more
This is the situation with the Mega Drive and SNES in general. The SNES has the sheer quantity with over twice the number of total games, but the Mega Drive has the highest quality across the board, from BEU's, shooters, fighters, platform games, sports, racing, even JRPG's and strategy games saw they're best entries on the Mega Drive and not the "JRPG powerhouse" SNES.
>>
>>10878292
Mega Drive didn't have the same level of support from Japanese developers. Its library is mostly western jank.
>>
In all honesty, I can't fathom a childhood without both Super Nintendo and Mega Drive. If you only had one back in the 90s, you only had half a childhood.
But who am I kidding, very few of nu-/vr/ were even alive/conscious back then, it's mostly retroactive youtube-fueled console wars by /v/ kids, isn't it?
>>
Get out and never come back, you fucking spammer. You already got one of your abhorrent posts deleted, your retarded fight is pointless.
>>
>>10878319
The Japanese support that it did have made all the difference.
>Alien Soldier
>Thunderforce 4
>MUSHA
>Gunstar Heroes
>Contra Hard Corps
>Streets of Rage 2
>Monster World IV
>Phantasy Star 4
>Shining Force II
I could go on, but even if this is all there was, it would already be a top-tier lineup for the best 16-bit console.
>>
Get out and never come back you fucking spammer. Your repetitive posts sucks and reeks of desperation.
>>
>>10878424
Gunstar and SoR2 are the best games here. The rest are okay. Nothing on the level of Mega Man X, Wild Guns or Link to the Past.
>>
>>10878467
Link to the Past has always been average. It's a game you had to grow up with. Lacked the exploration that the original game had and lacks the more indepth dungeons Link's Awakening had.
>>
>>10878467
>Mega Man X
It's an SNES game masquerading (poorly) as a Mega Drive game. The X series didn't really find it's feet until X4 on the PlayStation. The liberal slowdowns and terrible physics mar what might otherwise be a pretty nice game, though it also needed far better enemy AI's and more action in general to really compete with the likes of Mega Drive gunners.
>Wild Guns
A literal who game that is only brought up because it's decent enough quality to give the illusion that the SNES library has a depth to it. Next to Mega Drive action games it would be considered average at best.
>Link to the Past
I'll generously grant that's one of the half dozen games the SNES actually has going for it, along with Mega Man X, even though I don't personally enjoy either. I prefer consoles to have games libraries with depth, rather than just a small handful of relevant titles, and the Mega Drive has the SNES wholly beaten in that regard.
>>
>>10878487
You need to play all the other games like Zelda from the same era to understand why LTTP is so good.
>>
>>10878502
Soleil and Story of Thor are both vastly better than Link to the Past.
>>
>>10878505
Not even close. At least you didn't say Landstalker.
>>
>>10878424
>>Phantasy Star 4
No one would mention this C-list jarpig if it was on SNES
>>
>>10878502
They're all mediocre. All the 16 bit top down adventure games aren't worthwhile.
>>
>>10878512
People seem to mention Earthbound all the time and that is inferior to PSIV.
>>
>>10878501
>The X series didn't really find it's feet until X4 on the PlayStation
X4 is the only decent X game after the SNES and it has noticeably worse level design. Playable Zero saves it. Everything after X4 is an utter abomination.
>A literal who game that is only brought up because it's decent enough quality to give the illusion that the SNES library has a depth to it
It's brought up because it has amazing gameplay and depth with its scoring system.
>>
>>10878512
The "everything sucks" cop out. Even the actual mediocre action RPGs like Neutopia or Lagoon are fun.
>>
>>10878520
I already told you the previous and later Zelda games have more to them than Link to the Past when it comes to either exploration or dungeon design. LttP is just a watered down entry. I can't see anyone picking that as their favorite unless they grew up with it.
>>
>>10878532
You can be wrong as much as you want. Link to the Past is an obvious evolution over the first game with more varied dungeons like the skeleton forest or thieves' town. It's the most arcade style and straight forward Zelda game.
>>
>>10878510
It's better than every single SNES JRPG and it's not even close. SquareSoft only started making great games once they migrated to the PlayStation, and the only reason anyone pretends to care about they're SNES titles is out of jealousy of the immense success and superb games that followed FF7. Nobody even pretends to care about the other SNES JRPG's, because they're so mediocre and uninteresting. The only exceptions to this are tendie ones like Earthbound or Mario RPG, for obvious reasons that are wholly unrelated to any quality being behind them.
>>
>>10878501
What a tryhard, your post are laughable. Get out and never come back you fucking spammer.
>>
>>10878546
You haven't played any of the games mentioned or implied in this post.
>>
I can't understand people who think arcade-style retro games are too simple but cum their pants with mario and kirby
>>
>>10878546
Phantasy Star 4 is Mystic Ark tier. It's just the only jarpig Segaturds have to cope with. The generic weebshit art is also very unappealing compared to the real artists Square and Enix worked with.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>10878562
I have, they're bad, cope seethe.
>>
>>10878569
You exist to seethe over one company every day of your life. You don't have time to play games.
>>
>>10878545
I'm not wrong, the first Zelda was more heavily exploration based compared to most of the series for a long time. Links Awakening has much more refined dungeons. LttP is just sitting in the middle.
>>
>>10875660
Game?
>>
>>10880308
King of Demons, or Majyuuou. It's pretty fucking neat.
>>
>>10877285
>Gradius (better on PC Engine)
>Twinbee (better on PC Engine)
>Street Fighter II (better on Mega Drive and PC Engine)
>muh 5 years late Final fight/GnG ports for crappy expensive addons.
Imagine habing this level of autism
>>
>>10880325
You're arguing with the resident SNES hater. Let him have his SNES hateboner, it's pretty funny. He thinks that by spamming /vr/ he will be able to change reality and turn the SNES into an unpopular console, kek
>>
>>10878505
link to the past is ok
solei and story of thor are dogshit
>>
The Ninja Warriors Again singlehandedly makes SNES the better console for brawlers
>>
>>10880425
But anon.... mhz! On-paper specs! Nintendo bad!
>>
>>10880425
Based, though SoR3 is alright.
>>
The truth is that the Super Famicom mop the floor of the Megadrive

Even with just thé arcade style game ,super Famicom is still better

The best console Beat em up of the 4G is Batman return on Super Famicom
>>
>>10875646
>>10875690
>>10876808
>>10876880
Did you not play the fucking game? The weapon wheel was obviously intentional because of the way weapon recharging works. I haven't tried the instant swapping hack but I bet it would fuck with your ammo recharge and unintentionally make the game harder.
>>
>>10878467
shit taste faggot

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.