[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: xst.png (272 KB, 563x634)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
Has anyone installed one of these? Seriously considering it now that i have a third ps1 in the process of failing due to disc drive parts (laser, motor etc).
>>
>>10876819
Yes. It’s great and the install process is generally pretty easy. The only part that makes people nervous is the pin lifting, but you are lifting them to sever a connection and aren’t attaching wires to the lifted pins, so even if you break off the lifted pins on accident, there’s no problem.
Have you soldered before? It’d be worth it to watch how-to videos on installing anyways. Furthermore double check your model is compatible first.
>>
no
>>
>>10876819
Yeah I killed my PS1 last week trying to, because two pins somehow got bridged under the ODE, and while desoldering it to try and fix it, a few traces got lifted. Now I gotta get a new QSB and a new PU-18 board to try again. Might not even work. Entire thread laughed at me. I'm still not even sure if it's supposed to work with a NTSC-J PS2, considering they have more BIOS protection.
>>
>>10877620
don't forget the flux bath
>>
>>10877667
That's probably what did it. Flux bath + holding the iron for too long. The youtuber that did it did the same though, so I didn't expect it to happen to me. Only 2 pins got bridged out of all of them too. So unlucky.
>>
>>10876819
Is there one that lets you use an external drive and not just an SD card?
>>
>>10877692
Not sure if there are any SD to SATA adapters to do this, but is there even a point? Haven't checked, but the PS1 shouldn't require read speeds faster than what an SD card can do, and they're big enough to fit the entire library on.
>>
>>10876819
My house caught on fire after running one of these and now I'm stuck living with my mom again who won't let me watch R rated movies despite being 31.
>>
>>10876819
The best thing you can do with a PS1, along with a Memcard Pro and you're golden for an almost perfect PS1
>>
>>10877692
I don't see why you would need one, any reason you want a drive?
>>
>>10877921
For me, it's Monster Rancher.
>>
>>10877927
What do you mean?
Oh a disc drive, not an external drive
You might want a PSiO instead, however it is a much worse working product than the Xstation
>>
>>10877871
shut up glowboy
>>
>>10876819
I'm so glad I'm not one of these guys who cannot JUST USE AN EMULATOR BRO
>>
>>10877967
why?
>>
>>10877927
>>10877936
PSIO sucks. The dev is a joke and the update is never coming even after 4 years.
>>
>>10876819
I have a modchipped PS1 console, and I still burn games to CD-R. If the laser assembly is giving you trouble; then just buy a Chinese clone/replacement from eBay? I bought one years ago for $9 AUD with free shipping from China after my PS1 FMVs started skipping and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
>>
>>10877921
I was under the impression that it was baiting someone to recommend a MODE since that's one of its big dumbass features
>>
>>10878250
What problems does the PSIO have? Is the compatibility bad?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.