[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1650199101082.jpg (41 KB, 640x480)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I heard a schizo theory a very long time ago that every Final Fantasy is actually meant to be satirical, and since then it's stuck with me so much that I can't help but feel like there's some truth to it. Please tell me I'm not alone here.
>>
>>10876908
>every Final Fantasy is actually meant to be satirical
Ok. What is it satirizing? Sounds really, really stupid.
I'm under the impression that the devs took their craft seriously and wanted to make grand, beautiful games full of characters with character and tell a story.
>>
>>10876908
Satirical of what exactly? I'm pretty sure you're retarded OP.
>>
You're not alone, OP. The multiple personalities and voices inside your head will keep you company.
>>
ff7 is an orwellian critique of the war of 1812
>>
>>10876908
You are. Stop making this thread.
>>
>>10876908
All Japanese media is satirical to some extent. It's the essence of willful kitsch.

The Japs draw a lot of inspiration from the French. The French are masters of camp.

It doesn't mean there aren't also serious elements, but this sort of absurd, campy, off the wall kitschiness is in fact a kind of tongue in cheek satire.

The japs understand that the meal just taste better when you put some weed in it.
>>
>>10876908
You got a point, OP. I can't believe I didn't see it. >What is it satirizing?
duh. FFI is doing crazy time travel tropes, FF7 is a mockery of edge characters w/ tall hair.etc. FF2 is probably dramas but there might be something deeper going on with the skill system. It is one of many examples of them doing a deconstruction of gameplay mechanic (think of aged character decreasing levels, etc.).
FF7 is a satire of itself. It mocks itself and everyone who played it by existing. It mocks the very entry of franchises into 3D in a meta way. It even mocks previous titles by extension-you feel bad for playing 6/5 because of 7. damn. OP made me thinks.
>>
The actual word is deconstruction. Which it kind of is, it's the antithesis of the typical JRPG
But unfortunately that stopped being true after FF16 which ended up being ultra generic in every way because FF is no longer revelant at all
>>
Its not satirical so much as it has obvious comedy.

Westaboos are always shocked to learn Japs can and like to make things that are both serious and funny and not 100% one or the other

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.