[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6245.jpg (83 KB, 558x550)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Do you prefer the original PSX version’s longer intro segment with the puzzles, or the streamlined 3ds one? I know people aren’t very fond of remakes here, but this game is pretty divisive anyway. I’m currently playing the 3ds version and will play the PSX version later this year, probably on my ps2 instead of Duckstation.
>>
>>10878991
I first emulated it on Xebra, but then only about 4-5 hours in reached a point where the game would always crash, so it was time to buy the game and when I compared between 3DS and PS1, I could not believe how much 3DS cut out, so I bought a PS1 copy and had a great time with it.
>>
>>10878991
PS simply because the 3DS translation is literally shit.
>>
>>10879013
Examples?
>>
I am not very fond of remakes.
>>
>>10879023
There are a lot of name changes, puns, and the text generally feels sillier than the more direct and blunt PS1 translation. The biggest example is that the creator divinity is called just “God” in the PS1 version and “Almighty” in the 3ds. The word “god” shows up in the remake’s script, but when referred to directly He’s always called “Almighty”.
>>
>>10879023
Kiefer's sister.
>>
>>10879043
That's probably just separation of the definition of a god, and the naming of a specific god since the Christian God is often just referred to as such.

A common complaint of the later Dragon Quest localizations is that they go way overboard with exaggerated accents based in the British isles.
>>
>>10879057
Such as >>10879054 where despite being an NPC that you'll likely never interact with now speaks with a lisp. Kiefer's father is also named Donald (originally just Burns) as a reference to Kiefer/Donald Sutherland.
>>
So literally just one character talks differently and God has another holy title that he goes by? Doesn't sound like "literally shit." If anything, the lack of random battles is a bigger deal breaker.
>>
>>10879096
Another deal breaker is that they also fucked with class exp so now you're likely to hit the cap while in the area you're supposed to be in and no longer be able to gain exp for your class cause while they lowered the amount of battles needed to be fought to level up classes, they also lowered the level cap by a staggering 4 levels in every area, ultimately making things more inconvenient.
>>
>>10879234
You can use the Traveller’s Tablets as for vocation grinding as long as you don’t overlevel too much.
>>
>>10879257
Make one with only lowest-level monsters like Slimes and you should be able to avoid overleveling while you train up jobs.
>>
>>10879313
Don't do this as this will ruin the game. You're meant to slowly unlock new skills and jobs while playing through the game. What do you have to look forward to if you already unlocked endgame jobs a third into the game?
>>
>>10879013
*the English translation
I played the game in Italian and French and the translations was fine.
It seems that after the DS games most languages toned down the bullshit, except for English. My condolences.
>>
thinking about going through this series. will i miss anything by only playing the original versions instead of the remakes? (DQ 1-4 on nes, 5/6 on snes, 7 on ps1 and 8 on ps2)
>>
>>10879408
Yeah
>>
trying to have a dragon quest thread on /vr/ without weebs turning it into a translation bitching echo chamber is a fool's errand.
you'd likely have more luck trying to have a thread on /v/ without it turning into a coomdump. and the weebs show up there too.
>>
>>10879340
That worked when it was random encounters, not so much when you can see and dodge then. It also doesn't help that the 3DS version doesn't let you keep any skills or spells from higher-level jobs and also removed the hybrid skills.
>>
>>10879023
The people here hate soul and frown and or throw things at the wall when the translation says something humorous or uses a genius pun
>>
>>10879408
I know remake versions of 5 and 8 added characters, and DQ3 on SNES (and beyond?) starts off with a sort of playable personality test to determine stats. Past that I don't know as I'm in the same boat, going through for the first time.
>>
>>10879662
There are definitely reasons to frown upon DQ localizations and all localizations, but in this specific case, the game itself is worse than the jewish fuckery.
>>
File: ys1and2.png (3.84 MB, 2356x996)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB PNG
I hate Square Enix. If they were a proper developer, like Falcom, we'd have all numbered titles on Steam, with all issues ironed out, a classy and beautiful presentation, a MILLION options to fine-tune your experience and actual definitive versions, none of the "the old version has better x, but the newer version has better x'" shit that plagues every fucking SE rerelease. Oh, and fuck Namco too with their garbage handling of Tales of.

Instead, have fun playing Dragon Quest 8 on your fucking phone
>>
>>10879662
this. Dragon Quest has genuinely the best localisations in gaming
>>
>>10879691
No it isn't. You just hate soul, you hate charm, and you hate character.
>>
>>10879720
You are an SE shill.
>>
>>10879747
I will pray that you stop hating soul but I know you won't.
>>
>>10879849
I am catholic and an organist at a catholic church
>>
>>10879853
You are a kike and you deleted this exact post before.
>>
>>10879854
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>10879849
>>10879854
get your retarded /pol/ shit outta here, schizo. Got enough of you braindead maggots stinking up every thread as it is.
>>
>>10879859
That exact post was deleted minutes ago.
>>
>>10879863
No it wasn't. I have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>10879869
>that post was deleted
>no I wasn't
That isn't even logically consistent. But you do have a guilty conscience. TKD.
>>
>>10879870
Post archive of the post in question, as I obviously have no idea what you are talking about. At any rate, I will post picture from my organ in front of the tabernacle tomorrow at church.
>>
>>10879871
>I will post picture from my organ in front of the tabernacle tomorrow at church.
I'm looking forward to this.
>>
>>10879874
I'm sure you are, you seem like you have nothing better to do.
>>
>>10879876
>i'm going to do X, watch me do it!
Neither do you, you stupid fucking egomaniac.
>>
>>10879880
Not the same anon, retard.
>>
>>10879876
Brother, don't jump in, he's already confused about who he is talking to.
>>10879880
That wasn't me.
>>
>>10879881
>>10879882
It never will be you, will it? Until you are smacked into the concrete.
>>
>>10879882
>he's already confused about who he is talking to.
No I'm not, you stupid fucking tranny. I never was. The fact that you think this deleting of post numbers makes you incognito is laughable beyond belief. You're still a eunuch owned by the jews on a leash.
>>
>>10879897
I just checked the archive, and you are retarded. I'll still prove I work at a church tomorrow anyway because it'll be funny.
>>
>>10880026
I will eat my hat if you do. But you're a kike tranny bitch, so I won't hold my breath.
>>
>>10879710
>muh SE
This actually falls to everyone except Square Enix. They are literally just the publisher and have no involvement in the games beyond that outside of times where development is contracted to them.
The reason why DQ isn't on steam is because it isn't worth the perceived effort. Westerners don't play or buy these games and not a single DQ release in the west has had notable sales outside of three isolated incidents spread across 15 years. In particular, not a single DQ game on Steam has had any noteworthy sales.

The games are in turn released and supported on phones because they make a lot of money there.
>>
>>10880129
Go play Touhou, faggot. No one cares.
>>
>>10879710
>Mobile game cash grabs bad...
>But MAN I wish they'd sell the whole series with nothing but a coat of paint on it at full price on steam!
Shiggy lmfao
>>
>>10878991
So 3DS is retro now?
>>
>>10880232
>gets proven wrong and explained why shit doesn't happen
>cries like a petulant child
>>
>>10881105
Many such cases
>>
File: 20240425_101227.jpg (2.46 MB, 4080x3060)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>10880054

Anyway, to keep things on topic, I think I prefer the PSX version. If I remember correctly though, the 3DS version does fix some of the flaws with the class system being too easy to break. You only keep the beginner class skills, while advanced class skills don't transfer over if you change classes. They did something neat though, where if a monster class has skills that overlap with an advanced class skill, then that skill will be kept permanently. I think that was a cool idea to incentivize people to use more monster classes, since they were basically useless in the PSX version. You also change into that monster in the overworld, which was very soulful.
>>
>>10881101
ports of retro games are retro, yes.
>>
>>10881295
>They did something neat though, where if a monster class has skills that overlap with an advanced class skill, then that skill will be kept permanently
All monster-learned skills and spells are permanent, which is why anons have a joke about Maribel stinking of fish because in order to learn Magic Burst (which she gets a unique cutscene for), she has to master being a Gripevine and one of its skills is Fishy Fog.

Personally, I would like the DQ6/7 job systems more if they let you have the option to equip and unequip learned skills and spells. It's just annoying having to scroll through so many pages of unused skills and ultimately makes everybody feel more samey.
>>
>>10878991
I fucking despise dragon quest 7, its one of the few games I legitimately had to drop in disgust from how little respect it was having for my limited time on this earth when it removed a character I had spent like 15 hours leveling classes for in order to replace them with someone that sucked and had completely different and less classes leveled I just turned the game off and never turned it back on

with that said the 3DS remake doesn't actually improve the game, it makes it worse. when you remove the slow burn pacing, simplify the puzzles/world exploration by having an annoying fairy tell you how to play the game, simplify the job system so you barely even care that you took forever to unlock it, and replace random battles in narrow ps1 hallways with on-map enemies in those same narrow hallways so you end up constantly being forced into fights anyway you just kind of fuck with what makes this game cool, its atmosphere and sense of uncovering some truly mystical shit besides being a stupid little fisherboy and instead you just kind of have dragon quest but shitty which tbf dq7 always was but now its shitty and also generic
>>
>>10881660
>finally have the whole gang together
>forced to leave one of them behind anyway because apparently the airship can't hold more than 4 people, unless the fifth one is a NPC
I stuck with it until the endgame because of the story (and the party chat), but that was the last straw for me.
Also fuck that lighthouse.
>>
>>10879416
They could just play it in Japanese if they hate the translations that bad.
>>
>>10879853
>I play piano at an interracial dating group
kek

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.