[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How important are knowing these numbers to you? Do you think numbers alone make a console and its games better?
Was just checking in the archive to see when was the first time THREE TIMES-kun made his first three times post, and it seems to be this one. Funnily enough, before him, someone made a similar post but comparing the PS1 ans N64.
Do you think CPU clock speed is as important as developer skill? Sometimes I find it weird that on-paper spec obsessives even care about old retro machines, as they're all very slow compared to what modern CPUs can do.
>>
>>10880865
>April 6th 2023
Happy shitpost anniversary!
>>
>>10880865
I don't think it is just about clock speed vs developers skill.
What matters is how much of that power the majority of developers can use with a degree of ease.
PS3 for example was wickedly powerful on paper, but hard to program for, which resulted in a lot of shitty performance.
SNES may have been underpowered, but versatile and relatively easy to work with (at least partly - the sound chip gets quite a bit of praise, I hear).
Mega Drive was powerful and easy to work with, especially for its time (released 1988 in Japan)
PS1 was one of the easier systems, which helped grow that massive library it has.

Don't matter how powerful, if most people can't use that power. Game of numbers.
>>
>>10880865
Coulda shoulda woulda. All that matters is causality.
>>
>>10880865
>Sometimes I find it weird that on-paper spec obsessives even care about old retro machines, as they're all very slow compared to what modern CPUs can do.
The reasoning is simple and has been explained dozens of times before. When the NES came out, it held an illegal monopoly, so developers making console games had no choice but to make games that were designed around the NES and it's limited capability.
The PC Engine came out in 1987, then the Mega Drive came out a year later. This new wave of powerful new hardware allowed developers to raise they're ambitions and begin creating more refined and elaborate titles, which they began to do. Then, two years later from the Mega Drive, the SNES came out, but the SNES was only 1/3 the speed compared with those competitors. The kinds of games developers wanted to create and had become accustomed to making were not possible on the newer SNES. The hardware held them back from achieving what they had been doing on other systems.
The PlayStation and the Saturn came out in 1994, and they allowed developers to begin creating incredible 2D experiences and begin playing with 3D experiences. Developers grew new ambitions, the steaks were ever higher, and they became accustomed to making those sorts of games. Then, two years later, the N64 came out, with it's vaseline blur, single digit framerates, and cartridge space limitations. Once again, developers were not able to make the games they had grown accustomed to making, the hardware held them back too severely. By this point most developers rightfully had fled from Nintendo to properly pursue they're ambitions. Can you guess about the GameCube?
So yes, the performance of old consoles did matter, it DIRECTLY IMPACTED the quality of the games library, and Nintendo's consistently shoddy hardware is why so many of they're consoles have such underwhelming games libraries.
>>
>>10880865
it depends on developer and only that,the most powerfull console won't always win.
take as an example the saturn,is quite good and powerfull yet no developer could take advantage of it,for example you have seen those DS games with high quality graphics like kingdom hearts 358/2 days well the saturn could have the same quality games....if developers could take advantage of the console which they didn't.
As always is a matter of who can make the most of the provided tools.
>>
>>10880865
i have no idea anything's specs outside of when they were still counting bits. its just techno babble to me but i gotta admit i do find the hyper autistic shitposting about it interesting
>>
>>10881296
i know you love your gaystation but let's be real, nintendo consoles have remarkable games some are still master pieces specially RPG.
The n64 was poorly received due to being 3D and only because of that,while youtubers tend to go against it in reality was far superior to ps1 and is not even a debate,while some games made by western companies suffered of slow frame rate other games made in japan ran quite fluid and better then anything ps1 could offer.
Just seeing how the ps1 NTSC registers just a top of 15 FPS during movies and lowering frames to 0 during gameplay tells a lot of it.
>MK Trilogy n64 19 fps to 24 fps.
>MK trilogy ps1 15 fps top (dropping during gameplay to 3 fps or 0)
If it could barely handle MK trilogy it explains a lot.
>>
>>10883592
The guy you replied is obviously shitposting (and clearly the alluded in OP), but what the hell are you talking about? Nothing you posted makes any sense.
>>
>>10881296
>1/3 the speed
It just doesn't have the same impact as "three times" in caps lock, auster.
>>
>>10880865
Autistic people aren't properly able to understand design, or artistic expression. Or rather, they aren't able to express or vocalise their preference or distaste for different styles, principles or aesthetic choices. They simply aren't very intelligent despite what they tell you. But what they can do is memorise information and repeat it.
They can 'go off' for hours and hours about how many units a game sold, the year and month it was released in, the budget spent on it even. They can tell you the specs and statistics for anything and everything under the sun and it will more often than not form the basis for why they 'like' a game. It is very very rare for these people to tell you they enjoy an unpopular game that doesn't 'run well' because as far as they are capable of understanding, it was a bad game.
These people are fucking retards anon.
And they keep fucking buying things.
>>
What a pile of useless autistic cringe.
>>
https://desuarchive.org/vr/thread/10831572/

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.