[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

should 16:9 be the clear cutoff for anything retro-related? what constitute as sd or hd resolution? you could've a game running at 1280×960 on pc crt and still call it "high definition" in my opinion
>>
Some computer games allowed widescreen settings long before it was the norm on console
>>
>>10881587
yeah, 6th gen isn't retro
>>
>>10881587
>what constitute as sd or hd resolution?
Good morning sar, 720p is the needful cutoff for bloody high definition
>>
>>10881587
>should 16:9 be the clear cutoff for anything retro-related?

I honestly don't care what aspect ratio you play at, just as long as if you are planning to upload footage of it the image isn't stretched/squished. Nothing more annoying than trying to find footage of something and every upload is a 4:3 image stretched to 16:9.

As for widescreen mods, I have no issue with those.

>what constitute as sd or hd resolution?

You realize there IS an actual definition of this right? SD is considered basically anything under, as in 1280×720 progressive. 720p is the start of "HD", with 1080p being considered FHD (Full HD) and 4K being considered UHD (Ultra HD).

There are many others like QHD or FHD+ and dozens more, but my point is it's not just some vague term that people throw around at whatever they feel like. They are clearly defined.

>you could've a game running at 1280×960 on pc crt and still call it "high definition" in my opinion

Yes you could, because that is literally the definition, it's higher than 1280x720. It counts as high definition. Not FHD or higher, but it is HD.
>>
>>10881587
No. You ESL monkeys really need to read up on what retro means in the first place.
>>
The main takeaway here is that when calculating size for a CRT, just keep in mind that the same size in inches as a 16:9 will give you a much bigger game screen. I think the perfect 16:9 monitor size is around 25", which would translate to something like 19" CRT
>>
>>10881587
>55" TV 4:3
where can i buy one
>>
>>10881587
For me personally ps3 and xbox 360 have been retro for a while. Just look into their communities and say how it is not retro, online multiplayer groups enforce this feeling even more, strangely.
>>
File: 1704305486334061.jpg (70 KB, 727x714)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>10881802
Fibonacci is just so right.
>>
>>10881587
Aspect ratio is irrelevant. There are retro games that dip into other aspect ratios. Arcade games as well.
Retro-games isn't "retro" by age, but by era. It's like golden/silver age comics. Of course there is no hard and fast transition - but it's basically around 2000, where there was a transition to more gameplay-centric games to more non-gameplay-centric games, and more cinematic-centric style games. Does that mean all of the latter are bad? No. But many suffered for it.

HD or SD isn't that either., especially in regards to PC. You could run games at 1600x1200 or 1920x1440 which is higher resolution than even 1920x1080.

16:9 aspect was around before 2000s, but it wasn't overly prominent, but it was developing as a slow standard. Similar to how LCDs were around pre-2000, they kind of sucked hard, but they were there. In fact, they were there for quite some time actually. See Gameboy or old Laptops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFJ4akFRGVU
Later LCDs were normal color TFTs that just sucked.
Dreamcast I believe sort of falls smack in the middle of the transition. and supports it in some games. I think I recall a few PSX games technically supporting it - but I never knew anyone who remotely used them. SoTN actually has a weird aspect ratio itself. A dozen of so games do support 16:9. I remember a friend had a 16:9 read projection TV in like 2000-2001 at his house, they had it for some time, it wasn't new.

It's sufficient to simply use generations to specify the cut-off, but honestly, there should be better widespread adoption to era-terminology rather than "retro" since that tends to make people
>>
>>10883220
>since that tends to make people
Woops forgot to finish that.

It tends to make people want to "add" consoles onto "retro" because the term retro typically just means old... and all non-retro systems will one day be retro systems, if we just mean "old". The same way that the movies in the last five years will be retro in fifty to a hundred years time. And if you're old enough on this board, which on a retro board is possible. Many of have experienced with this with movies we grrew up with - FFS, the original Star Wars movies is coming up on 50 years old.... Think back when you were ten... what was a fifty year old movie like? For many of us, those would have been close to black and white or even some the non-"talkies"... we don't callem talkies anymore... cuz who the fuck would note that feature... that a movie includes sound.
>>
>>10881587
the standard isn't clear but 1080p and 720p are HD.
Just a clear reminder resolution has gotten worse with time
> 2002 be able to use resolutions of 8XXXx4XXX because the gpu and monitor required drivers to work properly.
>current year just generic drivers and top resolution can be 1080p or 2160p (4k) and that's it.
>>
>>10883308
This is because monitors are now incompatible with weird in-between resolutions due to their digital nature. You could tell an electron gun to just move X% slower for timing variations, you can't do that with sample and hold. You get one native resolution, a bunch of resolutions that have internal scaling up/down to that resolution, and that's it.
>>
>>10881779
>I think the perfect 16:9 monitor size is around 25"
My 16:9 monitor is 43", which gives me a 4:3 size of 35".

I don't really understand why people game on tiny little screens. I'm having great fun upscaling Virtua Cop 2 to "bigger than the arcade" size (I'm sitting closer). One day I'll upgrade to 86" and have a 70" 4:3 screen so I can stand a little further back.
>>
>>10881802
your options are a RPTV from craigslist/facebook/the dump or a projector
>>
>>10883495
This. Its such a same we'll never see a multisync display in our lifetimes (unless...)
>>
>>10883220
display aspect ratio =/= internal aspect ratio
i.e. not all pixels are square.
quite a few ps1 games allowed to switch to 16/9 btw
>>
>>10881587
did you buy into the ultra widescreen meme, OP?
>>
I want a 720p screen, my tv is some shit hd ready resolution
>>
>>10881661
This
>>
>>10881587
Anything goes, just make sure you ask your video driver / OS / monitor to preserve the aspect ratio. You do get black bars but it's fine, you don't notice that when you're gaming. I was just playing 1.09 Diablo 2 on a 16:9 monitor with black bars, and it was fine.
>>
>>10881723
>read up on what retro means
>Retro style is imitative or consciously derivative of lifestyles, trends, or art forms from history
I guess we should shut this board down, it's semantically incorrect, it should be full of modern indie games
>>
>>10881723
excuse me but I'm ETL (english third language)
>>
>>10881587
I agree, anything after Goldeneye should be cut off. Bloody sar bastard son of bich

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.