[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's /vr/ opinion on Sweet home?
>>
never heard about it senpai but it looks gay as hell
>>
>>10881758
I still haven't played it but it looks like the father of literally every indie game like Corpse Party and Ao Oni. I'm surprised people always meme about 'muh Earthbound-inspired indies' but not this
>>
>>10881778
It's the father of resident evil.
>>
>>10881758
played the eng translation in college (or rather a friend did while we all watched). It wasn't the most impressive gameplay (feels very basic RPG combat) but the survival and traps was interesting. Item management a little irritating. Great spritework, music, atmosphere. It's probably top 3 best RPGs on famicom, not that this says much to me, but still, anyone not playing it who likes famicom and prefers RPGs is missing out.
>>
File: Sweet Home.png (200 KB, 766x1440)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
I love it, and out of all the Famicom games that tried mixing RPG elements with other genres (looking at you, SHMUP-RPG) it's the better one.
But finding a way to grind safely and effciently is too easy so it's too easy to break the game. Also I played the retranslation and I got 2 game breaking glitches.
>>
Otogiriso creator also said that Sweet Home inspired him to make his game. And you know the creator of Otogiriso was? He was the guy who directed the first 4 Dragon Quest games
>>
i played the english translation briefly ~15 years ago after finding out it was a predecessor to resident evil. i absolutely loved the art style. 8 bit horror is so good. however a big part of the game was constant character switching (think the final dungeon of ff6) and i just dont really jive with that type of gameplay. its something i will probably revisit again at some point though. i also wouldnt mind watching the movie.
>>
>>10881758
People hype it up as a lot better than it actually is, but it's still a competent JRPG with some neat things thrown in.
>>
>>10881758
It's pretty great desu.
>>
>>10882090
>i also wouldnt mind watching the movie.
It's like the Japanese version of The Shining except not as lonely. It was directed by K Kurosawa before he made Cure and Kairo which you see on most 'essential J-Horror' lists
>>
Anyone who's a fan of Sweet Home should play Namco's Dream Master. It seems to take a lot of inspiration from it (even has the door opening animation) and is a similar blend of adventure/puzzle solving and RPG, the difference is there is no random encounters, only set encounters, and they don't respawn. If you want to lvl up you have to actively seek out every single enemy in a level. Fights are 1vs1 but you can aim at various body parts, one of which will be its weakness, that you can also look for and remember for the next encounter.
>>
File: sweethome.gif (9 KB, 256x240)
9 KB
9 KB GIF
>>
It's kinda funny how people always cite Sweet Home as the inspiration for Resident Evil.
Some even wrongly claim it was a "remake" of Sweet Home which as usual is extrapolating from an interview, which only said they'd make a game in the same style. A remake would mean paying for the license again and not owing it, why would they do that when the movie old news at that point.
Anyway if you look at the development history of RE, the longer it was in dev, and the less it took from RE. Partner system? Very quickly gone. The wooden logs and pickaxe straight from SH ended up being unused too. There isn't much left in the end except a general premise and the door animations.
>>
>>
>>10881758
It's actually a pretty good look at what inspired Resident Evil. There are more similarities than meet the eye, and playing it makes you recognize where they got a certain idea from. The movie this is based on was okay.
>>
they shoulda made a sequel set in Alabama. tsss tsss

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.