[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fuckthis.png (11 KB, 315x309)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Playing through ff2 for the first time on the famicom and this end game is the fucking worst thing that's ever happened to me. This shit should be used as a form of torture in POW camps.

This faggot's attacks have instant KO and can just wipe your party.

> That's OK I'll just get my evasion up so they always miss

no fuck you they also spam paralyze to all party members which drastically lowers evasion.

> That's OK I'll just get my elemental resistance up to resist paralyze

no fuck you it's a non-elemental paralyze (whatever the fuck that means) so no amount of magical resistance makes a difference.

You can literally have max stats and run into a group of these and still get wiped. I just lost three hours of playtime cause of shit luck. Who thought this was good design? Can we get the US to invade square headquarters? Someone must pay for what's happened to me
>>
That's just regular 80s RPG gameplay, except FF2, like DQ2, actually has the courtesy of only doing it at the end of the game

Anyway I don't recall ever having a problem with those guys
>>
Kek, based.
>>
>>10881862
It's probably inspired by the Wizardry series where random encounters with NPC ninjas can have them randomly behead your characters and then sometimes you can fail to resurrect them and lose your character if you're not just going to reload your save. Or you can get your entire party turned to stone or teleported into stone and instantly lose your entire party from traps, or have enemies that permanently drain levels, etc.
>>
>>10881897
OP should be grateful he only has to go through the dungeon again rather than the entire game, party building included
>>
>>10881862
get good fagboy.
>>
>end game
I was just bloodswording everything at that point
I agree it's a meh game, just unfun to play compared to other FFs
Especially grinding Esuna levels to make that spell usable, who thought that was a good idea
>>
I know, I know, I should be happy the game didn't delete my save then come out of the tv and rape my mother. Can we at least agree that this design is questionable at best?

>>10881953

I was mostly enjoying it up until this point, though it was for sure a bit too grindy. I like that it has more of a story vs the original ff.

> blood sword

I decided not to use it this playthrough but I should've known to fight bullshit with bullshit
>>
>>10881862
>not using save states
you only have yourself to blame.
>>
File: 1686458757685688.webm (2.14 MB, 720x480)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB WEBM
>>
>>10882264
>has to chance to run at the end
>doesn't take it
>>
>>10881862
I recently beat the remake on psp and even there the endgame is a slog to go through. It feels like the devs really wanted you to spend 10 hours just grinding stats. That shit gets boring after a while, goddamn. FF2 is the only Final Fantasy game where I was hoping to be done with it soon. Playing through FFV now and it's amazing how much of a superior experience it is considering they came out like, 4 years apart.
>>
>>10881862
You're meant to use your Hourglasses or that item that inflicts confuse on these. Also, if you use spell tomes as an item rather than casting the spell, it casts a high level version of that spell regardless of your magic affinity.
>>
>>10881862
>Enemy fucker x8 appears!
>Your opponent goes first!
>Your opponent uses aoe sleep/aoe instant kill
>return to the title screen?
If a game like this was made today the devs would get death threats on twitter and a reddit post with 10,000 replies
>>
>>10883405
which is why video games suck now
>>
>>10881862
Nobody really knows how to make these glorified spreadsheet games meaningfully difficult so they do this instead.
>>
>>10881862
FFIII is even worse. It's the same thing, but with 5 really hard, bullshit bosses, on top of these types of mob encounters, and the dungeon is longer.
>>
>>10881862
Never played ff2 but in older games RPG like that, if there is a 'run away' button you may be expected to actually use it.
>>
>>10881862
>getting this filtered by possibly the easiest Final Fantasy game
I'm baffled honestly.
>This faggot's attacks have instant KO and can just wipe your party.
Welcome to the endgame of many retro RPGs.
>>
>>10883892
its only the easiest if you use guides to know how to cheese the game
>>
>>10883405
It would just get patched.
>>
>>10881862
They do that in all the games. I always run from Couerls because it is a waste of time to fight them in any FF game.
>>
I love when games do that
Fuck easy games
>>
>>10883734
And not a single save point anywhere. You've got to do the whole thing in one run without dying.
>>
>>10884184
Even in FF12 they can be a pain in the ass when you first encounter them, there's usually a group of 3. I'd rather fight Malboro's than Couerls in FF.
>>
>>10881862
Do ribbons not work on the paralysis?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.