[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l1600 (1).jpg (215 KB, 1600x1200)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
Why was RE3 considered a lazy rehash of RE2 in 1999?
>>
By people who only have a surface shallow looka t the game
>>
formula had gotten stale.
>>
>>10882024
Late PSX titles were all disrespected in general
>>
It played nearly the exact same and was a whole three hours long.
>>
>>10882024
Because it wasn't. That's revisionism. Magazines were filled with renders of Jill and Nemesis. People loved RE3. This idea that it was a rehash came later. To be fair, it is kind of a rehash. But just like Majora and Fallout New Vegas, you can rehash assets and make something even better or as good
>>
>>10882024
Usually the 3rd title in any franchise is shit. It's the turning point when a good idea turns into a mere consumerism product.
Subsequent entries exist for a very specific niche of retards, and have nothing new or interesting to offer other than technical improvements.
>>
>>10882445
Seconding this. Game is fun as fuck. Was then and is now.
>>
RE1>RE3>RE2
>>
>>10882445
This honestly. I've only seen people criticizing RE3 for being a rehash of 2 in recent years, before that people have always loved the third game and some considered it to be the best of the classic REs. I wonder if this hate towards the 3rd game came from some e-celeb or shit, I just don't understand where it came from.
>>
>>10882024
Because it was too similar and did not tell a new story or in a new setting.
The game was a side story, it's always been and the leap to 2 from 1 was more impressive than the leap to 3 from 2.
It was simply was seen as a lesser title that retread old ground.
>>
>>10883412
Metal Gear Solid 3?
Onimusha 3?
Devil May Cry 3?
Dragon Quest 3?
Street Fighter 3?
Breath of Fire 3?
Super Mario Bros 3?
Metroid 3 / Super Metroid?
Zelda ALttP?

What a braindead fucking take
>>
>>10883476
wow you really proved his point there
>>
>>10882024
Because that was the era when Capcom drove every franchise they had into the ground by releasing a lot of entries in a short time with little variation. That’s why RE4 was seen as fixing RE.
>>10882445
>This idea that it was a rehash came later.
This is actual revisionism, unless you just weren’t aware of the discourse at the time.
>>
>>10884351
Think that's a you problem, m8
Everyone loved RE back then, it was RE mania for many years. Not that someone out there wasn't arguing it was getting repetitive. Just like you can argue many people were saying Bloodborne was a rehash of Dark Souls and Elden Ring was also. There might've been what some people were saying. But the reality is the mainstream public was going bananas in both those cases
And no Capcom didn't drive anything into the ground. Also RE4 was a full 6 years after RE3 so you're not even talking about the same time period, retard
>>
File: IMG_7052.jpg (28 KB, 729x410)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>10884770
>And no Capcom didn't drive anything into the ground.
pure delusion
>>
>>10884998
What did they drive into the ground, dumbass? Final Fight?
Or the shitty-ass Megaman X series?
>>
>>10882024
At the time, I didn't like the Nemesis concept or the female protag.
>>
>>10882024
They're VCucks who can't handle that the PS1 game utterly mogged the snoozefest that is the 6th gen entry. Like, I get that you wanna eat Claire's ass - but VC was shit.
>>
>>10885028
RE, with all its sequels and spinoffs
Megaman, with all its sequels and spinoffs
SF, with all its revisions and remixes and Marvel spinoffs and Arika 3D versions, and then there’s Darkstalkers (also dead)
Dino Crisis (also an RE spinoff), until nobody cared about it
BoF, until nobody cared about it
Onimusha, until they killed that too
It’s just what Capcom did. They brought back a few of those properties, but only after a gap of years, after they were done milking Monster Hunter
>>
>>10885102
You're a moron.
Onimusha didn't even exist when RE3 came out.
BoF had its best games on the PS1.
Dino Crisis, sure?
Darkstalkers, I guess? Did you expect 10 Darkstalkers sequels? It was always a niche side thing. No one cares about it
SF, you're dumb. Every fighting game gets revisions. And the best version of the best SF came out in 1999
Megaman, literally dozens and dozens of games. Some liked, some not, going back to Megaman 4 on NES.
RE, peaked in 1999 with Resident Evil 3, then continued to have several good (and bad) games

Nah, you dumb
>>
I didn't feel that way when i played it shortly after RE 2 but the short length of the game kinda pointed in that direction

>b-b-but it had events that would increase replayability

Sure but that didn't change a lot of things, also a single playthrough of RE3 was probably slightly shorter than one of RE2 too.
>>
>>10885140
Utterly delusional.
>>
>>10884320
Yeah it was a pretty epic pwn

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.