[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How is the pokemon trading card gbc game? I never got into pokemon beyond gen 1, but I always liked collecting and making decks from the tcg more than playing the red/blue/yellow version rpgs. never got around to playing this, but ive read that it's a decent game, so im curious what people here think.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot but the game sort of gets ruined when you figure out how to make certain decks that are basically exploits. The Japanese exclusive sequel has a fan translation now too.
>>
It’s alright I guess. The Pokémon card game has evolved so much that this game is very primitive and agonizingly slow. If you want intellectual stimulus then maybe get one of the tcg games for iOS or something. I played a lot of this as a kid and I can’t say it would hold up better than the team rocket returns game that got a translation. Most of the gym challenges can be boofed by just making a deck that exploits weaknesses. The elite four at the end is the only serious challenge and even then their cards have a possibility to hit the user instead of their opponent. I do like how you have a lot of freedom to go pretty much wherever you want and it even has imakuni? in it so that’s cool.
>>
I like it it's fun and the graphics are kind of cool. Nice music too. Don't care about the card game and I enjoyed playing this
>>
>>10882632
its generally very highly regarded
some of the music is really good too
if playing card games is your thing, you should just go play it. its not like theres that many other card-game-based vidyas around that you could be playing instead

personally, i prefer pokemon P I N B A L L
>>
File: tcg151.png (198 KB, 660x1150)
198 KB
198 KB PNG
it's pure ludokino
>>
>>10882632
It's extremely good, and for a long time, I liked it more than the main series. It tries to be an "alternate universe" Pokemon, where gyms, badges, and Gary are replaced with clubs, medals, and Ronald; It even has two Mew-like cards that can only (realistically) be obtained with GameShark codes. It's also developed by Hudson, so you know it has to be decent if not amazing. Ignore the faggot comparing it to the "modern game", which no one gives a shit about, including OP (since you said you haven't played it since Gen 1).

If you end up liking it, there's a Japanese-exclusive sequel called "The Invasion of Team GR!" (an analogue to Team Rocket) with a full English fan translation. There's also an extensive romhack (that I'm playing through right now) called "Pokemon Trading Card Game Neo" which changes the cards to the next few sets in the series (from the 2000-2003 timeframe, I think).

Recommend you play on a GBC emulator, as the processing speed makes everything zippy and fun (though give it a try on Super Game Boy mode, as the border shows how many Master Medals you've won so far, which looks very cool).

Tips: Go to the guest halls in clubs and talk to peeps to get new cards and opportunities to trade few ones. Go to "Ishihara's House" when prompted by them to trade him for very rare cards. Occasionally in the guest halls, you'll meet a weird guy named Imakuni?!, who you should always battle (because it's a lot of fun and you get a lot of cards for beating).

It's fairly easy game once you get the hang of making decks, but it's so easygoing and quite the adventure in learning to do so. Just take your time and have fun!
>>
>>10882632
>>10882751
Also, since the game has an automatic "quicksave" feature during battles (except for the initial "benching" part of battles), you can cheat coin flips (which are always predetermined) by resetting the game during play to see what will be in order to figure out what if you should make a particular move or not: you'll see what I'm talking about
*give a try ONCE on Super Game Boy
>>
>>10882695
Don't spoil it for him, retard.
>>
this and pokemon snap are mandatory for any self respecting genwunner
>>
>>10883050
Is the Wii VC version of Snap mandatory (since it's the best way to replicate the sticker printing via its "Message Photo" feature)?
>>
>>10882695
I wonder if these were drawn from scratch or they shrunk scans of the real cards and then fixed em up
>>
>>10882632
It's not a decent game, it's a fantastic game.

You should consider checking out gens 2 and 3. They're a lot of fun.
>>
Short, and fun enough.
Amazing music.
>>
Would be better if they could have rebalanced the cards but obviously it needs to be a fairly straight adaptation of the irl cards meaning all problems the real pokemon tcg has carry over to the videogame.
>>
File: tcg900score.png (86 KB, 850x593)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
I think I might be an addict. What's on screen means means I've defeated 4500 opponents in a row without losing. Only 495 opponents left until the counter gets to the max 999. Maybe when I reach that point the mysterious restricted door will finally open and the promo venusaur card will be waiting inside!

Send me your strength /vr/
>>
>>10884935
Good luck

Also what's you deck that you've never eaten shit on the draw.
>>
>>10882632
The story is retarded, but the actual card game is mad fun. Also the game looks beautiful on the Super GameBoy, really clever use of the available layers of color. Also the badges get added to the border as you obtain them, fun little addition. The sequel has more cards, but throws crazy amounts of content at you from the very beginning, bit less streamlined. Also no SGB support. If you want to keep one game in your GBC/handheld emu device, you're probably better off with the second one due to the newer generations of cards being added, but I think I've personally enjoyed the first one better. And honestly I think playing it on a small CRT using the SGB is peak comfy.

Fun fact: there was a DS game. Kinda. They've made a small app made to teach you how to play the card game with maybe like three decks total. But it controls nicely and looks good. Potential of a main release was there, dunno why they didn't roll with it. Maybe because of Pokemon TCG online on the PC, would it somehow cut into their profits? Also, you're now remembering the PC Pokemon Play It! game that came with some starting decks.
>>
>>10884935
mental illness
>>
File: 1705098843752308.jpg (6 KB, 210x230)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I'm playing it on the Switch and I'm getting my ass handed to me. And yea the music is great tho.
>>
Do Pokémon exist in the world of this game?
>>
>>10886293
Ohh, well they exist at least as much as they exist in the real world.
>>
>>10886209
Go fight Sam or Aaron in Mason Laboratory for more Energy Cards.

>>10886298
Yep. I think they even refer to the cards as "Pokemon" at one point. Though, at least magic exists in that world: how do you think the GB-Exclusive cards do their "random effects" moves (eg, Legendary Moltres' fire drawing thing, GB Meowth's bench-paw thing, Secret Mew's random status thing)?
>>
>>10886050
NTA but
>fun is a mental illness
???

>>10886209
Also, I don't about on Switch Online, but in all other versions, you can "cheat" coin flips by seeing what they land on by resetting the game after the flip happens and then selecting "Continue where I left off" on the title's menu.
>>
>>10882695
Imo I like these better than the colorized versions in the sequel
>>
>>10886293
As explained in the introduction, Pokémon don’t really exist. There are even adversaries callled “mental Jim” or “mental monica” who believe Pokémons exist, but in this game they are just cards.
>>
>>10882632
woke trash
>>
>>10886293
lorewise there doesnt appear to be pokemon the cards are based off of but the card themselves are treated the same way pokemon are in an actual pokemon game ie you have to treat your cards properly and have fun because your cards are your partners
>>
>>10887392
huh
>>
>>10884935
the game has been disassembled. there's nothing in that door
>>
>>10887392
Trying too hard, rent-free leftypolack.
>>
>>10888464
>can't pick up on social cues
Sorry to hear, anon...
>>
>>10884935
I don't believe for a second you did this without savestates
>>
File: tcgmasters.png (1.93 MB, 2500x856)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
>>
I wish the AI wasnt so dumb about poison. They will do everything in their power to retreat to their own detriment. Often times it would be much more benefical to suffer through the poison and sacrifice your mon getting a couple attacks out to knock out the poison inflicter than use all the energy to retreat and get stuck with an half dead energyless pokemon while the poisonous menace is still alive and ready to poison everything else.
>>
For me it's Nidoking. 2x poison feels so good
>>
>>10882632
Its not my favorite card game but its the best one on gameboy that i know of. It has all the gimmicks like coin flips and stuff but its a straight forward game, pick up and play without knowing much about pokemon tcg.
>>
>>10882632
It's good but it's fairly limited in terms of card quantity for the time it came out (it's missing a few expansions that were out IRL at the time) and the last few matches are brutal
>>
>>10892546
the sequel has lots of extra cards
>>
>>10893906
I was surprised by the original cards but dissappointed they did not include the leaders' pokemon sets or rockets'.
Hoping the guy making the neo series will pack both neo and the first sets of cards into one hack somehow.
>>
>>10894312
doesn't seem feasible because he's basically editing the existing ones, essentially writing them over. most of the cards from that hack are all wrong anyway because he has to use the pokepowers that were programmed.
>>
>not using this tool to rebalance cards
ishygddt

https://www.pokecommunity.com/threads/pokemon-tcg-card-editor.417812/

full on changing moves is too tedious but just switching around some energy costs, HP and damage output of the attacks can vastly improve the game
>>
>>10895630
may break the club masters. while regular members use the same basic AI, the masters are programmed specifically to execute their specific strategy. so let's say for example you change Onix's rock throw to 40 damage requiring 3 energies. The rock master has the specific instruction "prioritize giving Diglett 2 energies" and "give Onix 2 energies" so if he has an Onix as the defending pokemon and a bunch of benched Diglett he's gonna give Onix 2 energies then start energizing all the Diglett in the bench while Onix remains unable to attack. Only after all benched energy requirements are met and if he still has a surplus of energy would he actually give Onix the extra energy to attack.
>>
>>10882632
It's okay. Its like a worse version of red/blue. World is smaller and obviously you have cards instead of pokemons which isn't neccesarly bad but its not ideal for a GB screen either.
>>
>>10882632
While it lacks many of the adventure elements of the mainline games, the combat system sort of makes up for it. It's a lot more in-depth, not to mention considerably more challenging. Though that's speaking as someone who never played the card game before. If you already know your way around the mechanics, then it might be too easy.
>>
So I've never gotten into any actual TCG's in my life, but this game and SNK vs Capcom Card games have always intrigued me. Would they be easy to get into if I'm starting from TCG ground zero? Also how long are these games usually?
>>
>>10882632
What does the Japan-only sequel add?
>>
File: tcg1vs2.png (839 KB, 2217x1019)
839 KB
839 KB PNG
>>10896548
it's definitely accessible. hard to gauge how long it would take but once you understand the ins and outs it's fun and a breeze to go through

>>10896549
definitely a big change of format, it's a lot longer with way more cards but it's more of a wacky linear adventure with kidnappings and bullshit, it's not so much a build your own deck and play a few matches at leisure type structure, there's always obstacles and requirements to proceed keeping you on your toes ("if you want to play against me you must have 4 magikarp in your deck", "if you want to play against me your deck can only use grass energy" "if you play against me fighting type resistance doesn't count" type stuff. On one hand it's more of an hassle on the other it forces you to try different builds and strats you otherwise wouldn't". wouldn't say it's either better or worse, just different, though if you liked the first you'll likely enjoy it. new art is more colorful but also more hit and miss
>>
>>10896548
Those two are literally babbys first TCG. You will have no problem playing them they're literally for 10 year olds
>>
>>10896548
I recommend you check a ruleguide online like the original tcg manual just to get a basic understanding of the game basics, might be less cumbersome than trying to read through rules in the videogame but obviously you don't have to nail everything and know all the ins and outs before playing since the game obviously won't let you break rules.

these are the few notions you should pay attention to:

>the three types of cards
pokemon cards, energy cards, trainer cards

>the format layout
deck, discard pile, prize cards, bench and active/defending pokemon

>the pokemon card traits
HP and attacks(and pokemon powers); weakness, resistance; retreating; basic vs stage 1/stage2 pokemon

>status effects
paralysis, poison, sleep and confusion

there's not much to it
>>
I find it cheap they let you switch decks inbetween the league members. By the point you should have to commit to a deck that can handle them all
>>
>>10882653
Does the jap sequel have exploits as well?
>>
>>10896548
For SNK vs. Capcom Cardfighters, you can bullshit your way through most of the game, but the end game is brutal unless you start building well thought-out decks (I still haven't beaten one of them because of this). For Pokemon TCG GB however, you can maybe bullshit the entire game, even the end game "bosses" (partially because you can "cheat" coin-flips and save and change decks before every match). So, I would recommend starting with Pokemon, but SNK vs. Capcom (which has less fun mechanics, but is still a lot of fun) is still easy and forgiving enough to start with if you want to.
>>
File: ChallengeTeamRocket74.jpg (101 KB, 250x350)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>10897014
You can have 12 copies of Bill in the deck since the AI always refuses the Challenge card. Also Bill's Teleporter is on average identically to Bill.
With so much draw power you can make the Zapdos FTK deck very consistent (>99% success rate).
>>
File: imakuni_48745.jpg (17 KB, 285x380)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
im a kuni
>>
I hate most of the new cards in the sequel
>>
File: NIGGERS.gif (181 KB, 220x123)
181 KB
181 KB GIF
>that new TCG web short they did
TPC"""i""" had ONE JOB and they gave it to some Tumblrettes, despite making all those nice animated shorts on YouTube

I wanted fucking Pokemon TGC but with some the crazy Yu-Gi-Oh shit included, so we can go full circle.
>>
>>10896591
I unironically think the more monochrome cards look better
>>
>>10883625
There was a youtube channel that was going over that. I believe they said that they did draw them. Dude was looking for help to redraw some or something.
>>
>There are three Gen 2 pokemon in TCG GB2
>Togepi is dogshit
>Marill is a worse Lapras
>Lugia is OP as shit but only available trhough card pop or cheating
Why include them at all?
>>
>>10901463
promo silly

cards are collectibles first and play tools second
>>
>>10882632
It's fine. I mean it's about what you would expect Base Set, Jungle, and Fossil in GBC form with some random other promo and game exclusive cards. The game exclusive cards do have some effects not really possible in the real game (Usually just some effect being completely random). The Ai can be pretty stupid at times but I guess to be expected for a GBC game of an entire card game.

>>10896591
It's mostly an improvement on the original. Many more cards added and a lot more content. I think a lot of people still prefer the original because it only includes the first 3 sets, the first 2 sets in particular is when kids were really going crazy over it. Funny I was still in elementary school at the time and my school actually banned for the rest of the school year because of kids stealing cards or parents complaining thinking their kid got ripped off in trades. Either way play the first game if you haven't if you like that you will like the second game.
>>
>>10901463
>Includes gen poo pokemon
Automatically a shit game
>>
>>10882632
Its a truly brilliant game well worth checking out if you already like Pokemon. Bear in mind the battling is only vaguely similar to the main series games; in this, Mon that are terrible in the main game are Kings in this.

You need to get used to it but once you do it's a whole new perspective on pokemon battling. (I'm assuming you don't know about the wizards of coast card game, you might for all I know)

Definitely get it if you like pokemon and are bored of the main game red/blue etc.

Modern day WotC card battles have a LOT more going on but this is a good precis.

Building decks is a lot of fun and can really push your strategy mind to the limit. The annoying thing is it can be hard to get multiple of any given card which us essential to deck building, but that's the challenge I guess.

Another problem is OG carts are starting to lose their memory saves, which is a real bummer. I am a huge advocate of original hard ware but you may be better emulating this.

>>10882751
Where can I get this neo romhack you mention? Online only or is there a cart version? I enjoyed the English team rocket GR a lot.
>>
>>10882632
It's very good. Don't pay to play it on the shitch just emulate it on something. I used my chink handheld. The second game has a translation and is better but if you play them one after the other will feel pretty stale. I'm going to play through the Neo version which has different cards at some point but.

>>10904750
>I am a huge advocate of original hard ware
This is fair but I'm sure as fuck not going to pay 50 dollarydoos for a loose cartridge that can't save.
>>
>>10904787
I started playing it on my chink handheld yesterday and its just so much better being able to fast forward
>>
>>10886364
Pretty sure you rewind using the nintendo offical emus on switch, which is faster, since you just rewind before declaring the action.
>>
>>10901463
>>10903560
>t. zoomer that missed out on the Gen 1 movies era
>>
>>10882653
>exploits
I used a deck that had 1 or 2 legendary Zapdos and the rest energy and trainer cards. That shit was unbeatable.
What are some others?
>>
For me it's Alakazam stall. Impractical but fun
>>
>>10906519
Haymaker and Rain Dance decks. There was also a very abusable Alakazam+Gengar deck, iirc
>>
>>10908279
How are they exploits? They work exactly as intended.
>>
the real exploit is that the ai won't attach energy to it's active pokemon if it is one hit away from being knocked out and can't knock you out with a one energy attack, you can just stall whenever you want and pump up your your pokemon or even deck out the cpu by keeping their kangashkan in play
>>
>>10909575
Sounds super abusable with pokemon that only hit the enemy bench like Dark Starmie.
>>
>>10909654
you have to be able to hit the active pokemon with a guaranteed attack, but this is also fixed in the second game anyway.
>>
>>10906519
Do the Wave Wigglytuff. You fill your bench up and then drop nukes.
>>
>>10909902
I used to use a deck like that irl with fossil hyno or base alakazam. It was a pretty middling deck when you had Potporri Haymakers dominating the meta.
>>
>>10882632
great game, lots of fun. if you find it too easy maybe move on to some of the gba yugioh tcg games
>>
>>10896591
soul vs soulless
>>
Why did they stop making these?
There should have been a new Pokemon TCG and Pinball every generation.
>>
>>10912526
Hate to say it, but Pokemon is a dead franchise.
>>
>>10912574
not true sadly

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.