[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Cloud_Portrait.jpg (20 KB, 250x359)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
played final fantasy 7 and no shit this was treated like it the second coming when it came out
the music is so good, the characters are very distinct, the story is literal insanity blowing my mind watching the northern crater fuckery go down, tifa and cloud exploring cloud's mind in this abstract as shit segment
never something I would have expected from an rpg from the 90s
and the gameplay is this great tried and true lego playset snapping orbs from one character to the next messing around constantly experimenting
so much side content too with meaningful rewards
this shit? GOOD
protagonist was in a damn wheelchair and still captivated me more than most other game characters
>>
FFVIII is better in every way possible
>>
>>10886469
If you’re a gay emo lmao. I can appreciate something about every FF except for 8.
>>
>>
File: bestlookingguyhere.jpg (93 KB, 800x450)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>10886469
>>
>>10886498
If a low res panty shot that's probably not even from official game art is all it takes then you might have a case of terminal peanut brain
>>
>>10886469
Based but wrong
>>
>>10886487
If you cannot appreciate FFVIII's OST you are a freakazoid.
>>
File: Tifa panchira.jpg (15 KB, 129x110)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>10886531
The official in game ones were never that hi res either.
>>
The music still hasn't been topped by any other JRPG
Which is saying alot because JRPGs suck and their saving grce is usually the music
>>
>>10886467
Okay,but what this has to do with OoT being an ARPG?
>>
File: SniffGOD.png (211 KB, 711x662)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>10886498
>>
>>10886469
>draws magic for 5 hours
>>
>>10886556
Man with a Machine gun is shit. 8 is easily uematsus worst score.
>>
>>10886703
>>10886947
Duality of man
>>
>>10886467
Okay, but why did the music sound like that? The PS1 can play perfectly high quality samples (eg the other Final Fantasies on PS1) but FF7 sounds like a SNES game
>>
>>10886975
It’s called SOVL
>>
File: top-hat-coop.jpg (25 KB, 177x264)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
I am more of a FF6 man myself but I do respect FF7. I would go as far as to say the game immerses you so well you won't even notice the graphics after the first level. The game's art design is fantastic and overrides the lack of polygons with pure sovl. Have a good day, sir.
>>
>>10886467
I'm at the Northern Crater on disc 3, I use Cloud as a mage and he is level 60, the rest of my main party is Barret tank/support and Tifa physical attacker, the rest are underleveled, should I kit and level up everyone for a while before going into the final dungeon?
>>
>>10886983
FFVI tends to get a little long in the tooth towards the end, but to the game's credit, you can choose to end things early if you want and not gather the entire crew together. It's a nice concept.
>>
>>10886467
It's lame compared to smrpg
>>
>>10888154
I've always liked that WoR is open ended while still giving you a few breadcrumb trails to help you get started after the "linear" portion of it. Wish more games would have their open world work that way.
>>
>>10886986
I don't think you meet the requirements to get more than one party to fight with during the second boss fight during the final battles. You should be fine.
>>
File: 1714192483857209.gif (267 KB, 640x480)
267 KB
267 KB GIF
7 is not the best one, but it's the most soulful
>>
>>10886975
Most of the music sounds better than what the SNES was capable of but it still is synthesizer music. Same with FF8. When these games came to PC originally they used midi or software synthesizers and didn't even sound the same. The PC original sounded a bit better if you had the hardware for it to load a soundfont in.
>>
>>10886986
There are enemies called movers that you can meet in a specific section of the crater that level your materia really fast, probably hunt those. Your levels are high enough to finish the game already so if you need more materia/leveled up materia that's the best way.
>>
>>10888452
plus hero drinks takes care of underleveled characters
>>
>>10886467
why
grandia came out the same year and was way better
>>
>>10886467
>while you searched female clothes,tifa and aerith got busy in four.
this is why official translation is considered the worse,he was so prude that removed anything sexual theme,alcohol use or anything fun.
>>
>>10886469
fpbp
>>
>>10886469
FF8 is more of FF7, for the good AND the bad.
>>
>>10888468
Nah, Grandia doesn't have shit on FFVII.
Grandia is a good game, but its plagued by a slow combat system with under-utilized mechanics and big open samey maps in dungeons that just feel like a slog to crawl through. Also a massive wet fart of a final boss theme since its just the Gaia theme you've heard plenty already, but then turns in the disc 1 generic random encounter theme.
It actually really made me mad when I was finishing the game, like fucking hell I was already disappointed to just hear the same Gaia theme, but its at least a good theme, then they just slap me in the face by changing it to the weakest battle theme in the entire game for a majority of the loop.
Comparatively, FFVII has the best music in gaming history, the sound font is pure sex, the game itself isn't even in my top 20 games, probably not even top 40 but holy fuck the sounds that come from the thing are out of this world, best stuff I've ever heard, sound effects too, Ultima spell sounds so fucking weird I can't even describe it, but I fucking nut every time.
>>
>>10888731
Can confirm - played it through for the first time a few years ago. Grandia is okay but it has kind of been forgotten for a reason. While art style is fantastic, characters are interesting, and a few songs are great here and there, the lack of dungeon variety and the piss-easy boss fights lets it down. Story + cheesy dialog also lets it down imo. Also, it's too easy to break the combat system, even when you aren't trying to.
>>
>>10886975
>why did the music sound like that?
That's why one of the reasons why FFVII has the shortest load times of the PSX FF games.
>>
>>10886469
Are you trying to summon spoony from the abyss?
>>
>>10888435
>>10888452
Thanks, I just finished the game. It was pretty good!
>>
>>10886883
> Battles slimes and rabbits for 5 hours.
>>
>>10886467
All true. I’ll point out one big flaw with FF7: no classes. It literally doesn’t matter who is in your party, you can instantly transfer materia between characters and have the exact same battle. The only reason to get Yuffie and Vincent is to see what their limit breaks look like, and honestly I don’t think I even tried Yuffie ever.
>>
File: 1713347933921536.jpg (92 KB, 352x429)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
I feel like replaying it but I wanna cruise on easy mode this time. What are some good ways to absolutely cheese this game?
>>
>>10889152
5, 6, 7, and 8 were all like this, the best characters were just the characters with access to the best equipment or the best innate ability/limit breaks or in the case of 5 whoever you grind the most with. FF7's best permanent characters were pretty much Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie. Rest of the character's limit breaks were hot garbage and/or didn't get high attack power weapons.
>>
>>10889234
5 and 6 both required you to build each character separately, so they ended up quite different unless you were grinding like a mad man. Plus, 6 has innate classes, there is a lot of difference between Sabin and Gau.
>>
>>10886975
Because they were using high quality sample synths with some of the best sound design in the patches ever that still haven't been topped. FFX on PS2 uses the same synth technology, just with higherer fidelity. Modern games still use a form of this, but it's almost all real recordings with no sound design, just some amateur who records a random player then puts it into a ROMpler and then charges 1000 dollars for a couple of instruments that are 500Gigs in size yet the shit used for old games still sounds better. Go listen to the FFXV OST and other strings and orchestra shit in modern games and realize it all has the same flat sound and lack of character or thought put into the actual sound of the instruments
>>
>>10889254
>high quality sample synths
No they weren't, that's what they did in 8 9 and 10 but not 7. 7's instruments don't sound very convincing compared to 8 9 and 10
>>
>>10889287
I mean the original instrument they used and the quality of the sound design and implementation especially, not how it is included in the game, pardon the confusion.
>>
>>10888154
FF6 only really gets unfun at the end if you get caught up in overpowering yourself. I played a simple "challenge" (it's not hard at all) where I never equipped magicite or spell teaching items on anyone and the world of ruin didn't last long enough to get grating since I didn't actually have that much to do. The tower of magic requires some bullshit but otherwise I thought it was a perfect way to replay it
>>
Are there any good new game + mods for 7? I'd like another playthrough with my same characters that challenges me to ue a lot of the abilities available to me to win.
>>
>>10889169
early beta is probably the easiest, its possible to learn when you first leave midgar. i'd recomend checking out different guides for doing this, a lot of strategies for doing this require picking up items as you go through midgar
>>
infantile gameplay, infantile story, aesthetic excrement
in a word, overrated. sorry you have to pretend to like this, really i am
>>
File: Ironbreaker explained.png (497 KB, 535x824)
497 KB
497 KB PNG
>>10886467
I'm playing it on Retroarch but I noticed the translation is really middling
>Go into a club
>Aerith says "so that's how you fooled them"
>Then says "This is how you'll fool them"
Sometimes it's incomprehensible.
>This guy are sick
>Yep this is the guy
I thought the sick guy was someone Aerith had told me about earlier that I missed/forgot about but he's not relevant at all. I'm right before Cloud is supposed to crossdress, is it still possible for me to patch in a retranslation without having to redo it all?
>>
>BUT THIS OTHER GAME IN THE SERIES IS BETTER
/vr/ and 4chan in general will always do this so they can get on the shitflinging carousal and rehash their arguments for the millionth time.

FF7 is fucking great, played it for the first time like five years ago and fucking loved it. Game as an absolute blast to play and was and is highly regarded for good reason.
>>
>never something I would have expected from an rpg from the 90s
I don't mean this to sound condescending, but play more games. The mid-90s especially was a hugel experimental period with tons of stuff that you would never see today. The most creative games ever made happened between the late 80s and mid 00s.
>>
>>10891290
Save at a savepoint or on the map and download the steam translation for psx on cdromance or the unofficial retranslation, I was on duckstation and as long as I kept the region the same and renamed the memory card I could switch between versions without problem (not with savestates though obviously)
>>
>>10891290
>>10891528 (me)
https://cdromance.org/psx-iso/final-fantasy-vii-retranslation/
https://cdromance.org/psx-iso/final-fantasy-vii-pc-steam-translation-usa/
>>
>>10891528
>>10891530
The "retranslation" is dogshit fanfiction made by some white liberal who didn't like that Barret spoke in ebonics (even though he's based on Mr T). The original 1997 English version is actually well-translated; the ENGLISH is the actual issue, but it shouldn't be an issue beacause this are still easy to understand for any seasoned English-speaker.
>>
>>10891547
Is the Steam translation the same?
>the ENGLISH is the actual issue
I can only speak English and several things have been incomprehensible up to now like Aerith repeating herself where Cloud goes to an adult building "so this is how you fooled them" "this is how you'll fool them" and even before that with Aerith's first appearance has her say something was "bad timing" and I had no idea what she was talking about. It's not a good translation by definition because of that. It just kills momentum.
>>
>>10891547
I didn't know, I ended up playing the steam translation because allegedly it fixed a bug with the magic defense or something on top of being proper english
>>
>>10891557
The Steam script is 95% the same as the original, but with spelling/grammar fixes and a lot of redone lines. A lot of the lines are much improved ("bad timing" for instance) but a some are arguably worse. The ideal FF7 script would be the Steam script with a handful of PS1 lines restored, but overall, I'd say the Steam script is better.
>>
File: m3u ff7.png (21 KB, 776x438)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>10891530
Sorry I'm no good at the patching thing but where do I put the stuff? I really don't have a clue what to do. Reply to me like I have a an IQ of under 100.
>>
>>10891573
nta but how did you even download it? i must have an iq of under 90 because i see no download links on those pages.
>>
>>10891593
Click "FIND LINKS"
>>
>>10886975
FF7 was originally going to be on SNES before SE realized they could do more with CDs and FMVs
>>
>>10891528
Is this possible with Retroarch?
>>
>>10891573
Are you on Windows? It shouldn't matter where you put the disc images as long as you navigate to them by clicking "load content" on retroarch, then select the .m3u file
>>10891661
I just tested it and it is possible, the memory cards are inside "retroarch folder"/saves/"your psx core"/"name of the .m3u file (final fantasy VII (USA) or whatever)".srm
>>
>>10891661
>>10891701 (me)
You may have to rename the .ldci file too, I don't know what it does and it is only 1kb but it seems like it is needed to load the memory card maybe, I haven't done the whole switch, just confirmed that you can use fake memory cards files with retroarch
>>
>>10886469
This is how you fucking know it's pure contrarianism, dude wasted NO time trying to start shit.
>>
>>10888908
Is that also why the game itself can run faster, i.e. you can set the battle speeds higher than you can in any of the other PS1 FFs? Should've kept that soundfont, IX would actually give VII a run for its money if it could go as fast as VII does .
>>
>>10891570
>>10891557
>>10891547
This thread has inspired me to make a romhack touching up the script very slightly. There isn't a lot of retranslation autism over 7 like there is with 6 which is probably a good thing, but I just want to get the best of the PS1 and Steam scripts into one script and SPARINGLY reference the Japanese script for what little stuff honestly makes no sense.
>>
>>10889679
i remember thinking new threat was fun so i'd give that a shot if i were you, although i've heard some complaints about the new version
>>
>>10889287
> 7's instruments don't sound very convincing
they sound gud
>>
>>10886467
didn't they steal the sword from Beserk? How didn't they get sued for copypasting everything from that comic.
>>
>>10891290
>but he's not relevant at all.
He actually is, but it's the most frivolous and easily overlooked detail
He's another Sephiroth clone and if you revisit there on Disc 2 you'll find he left for the Reunion.
>>
>>10891819
>IX would actually give VII a run for its money if it could go as fast as VII does
I was really surprised by this too. 9 is almost unplayable, and what's worse is that the remasters hide the fast forward behind the pause menu. You need to pause, fast forward, unpause, then pause again to stop fast forward. Completely kills its utility for skipping battle anims.
Whereas with 7, on the highest battle speeds I'm actually grateful for longer attack anims that give a second or two to think. Triple turks fight on max battle speed without excessive grinding is actually fairly challenging because Elena's ATB is just too fucking fast.
>>
So the whole game builds up Cloud and Tifa as osananajimi but the flashback when Tifa fixes Cloud's brain has her talking about how she never really knew him that well until the promise at the well? WTF?
>>
>>10886874
Based sniffing anon
That's how it's done
>>
>>10886467
Very based opinion anon. I too played 7 with no nostalgia and loved it. Frankly, it's too good. As in every final fantasy I've played after has disappointed me. The soundtrack is the rare case of living up to its own hype, so many memorable tracks with birth of a god being my favorite. Anyone who shits on 7 without at minimum saying the music is god tier deserves to be publicly executed.
>>
>>10886657
>legs one solid mesh and not two separate altered cylinders

That's not the PS1 game, is it..?
>>
>>10892684
It's Dissidia, and the best part of it too.
>>
>>10891701
What are the disc "images"? There are no image files there.
>>10891714
What's the idcl file?
>>
File: like this.png (17 KB, 1021x254)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>10891573
>>10891701
I made a folder for the steam translation, copied those three FF7 (USA) files and renamed them. Like that? Retroarch just closes when I try to play the new m3u file on Beetle PSX.
>>
>>10893172
Update, I did save as for the m3u file and now it starts, but it just sends me to the memory thing that you get when there's no disk in.
>>
>>10886526
Squall is literally me. She couldn't get the alpha Seifer, so she decided to settle for the "Whatever" guy, while still having her pussy wet, red and ready for Seifer's massive cock.
>>
>>10886556
fuckin love the soundtrack. Game is bleh tho, and the 2 yrs between FF7 and FF8 were significant
>FF7 released when PC gaming was a novelty for rich kids, so shitty console jrpgs were all we had
>FF8 released when everyone had a PC and therefore had an OCEAN of better RPGs to play, like MM6 and presumably others but idk bcuz once I played MM6 on PC I never looked at another jrpg again
>>
>>10894856
What's MM6?
>>
>>10896056
>What's MM6?
Probably Might & Magic 6 but it's not as good as he's claiming. Might & Magic 6-8 were decent though.
>>
>>10886467
Completely agree. 9 is my favorite ff game, but I always hated seeing people shit on 7 specially when they use lowpoly kino as a reason to just dismiss it.
>>
>>10886556
VIII's a fine game but nowhere near as good as VII, although Under Her Control is one of the best songs in the series
>>
>>10886874
Where are the other 4 scents are coming from?
>>
>>10898819
Tifa's pits, buttcrack, and underboob.
>>
>>10898819
>Terra
>Elly
>Aerith
>Rinoa
>>
File: boogie.png (129 KB, 360x653)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
Always liked Bugenhagen, cuz he reminded me of Roshi.
>>
>>10886883
Skill issue
>>
>>10886703
>The music still hasn't been topped by any other JRPG
FF4 and FF6 had better soundtracks.
>>
>>10889169
>I feel like replaying it but I wanna cruise on easy mode this time. What are some good ways to absolutely cheese this game?
use a game shark/genie and make it that you get your limit breaks instantly so you unlock them super quick.

also, level up materia instantly and have max gold.

I did that originally and I had an absolute blast in the game.
>>
>>10899134
FF4 certainly doesn't. It is a great one though don't get me wrong.
>>
>>10899142
NTA but to level up materia you have to keep using the spells right? I haven't leveled up any materia and I'm outside midgard now.
>>
>>10899164
I will fully admit I'm utterly biased towards FF4 cause that was the first FF game I really got into (played FF1 on NES but too young and difficulty curve made it a bitch). Not saying FF7 had a shit soundtrack or anything but FF4 just has too much nostalgia attached to it.
>>
>>10899167
>NTA but to level up materia you have to keep using the spells right?
IIRC you level up the materia to unlock all the spells in that materia. when they max level they clone themselves and you can start all over. (been decades since I've played FF7 last)
>>
>>10899170
>difficulty curve made it a bitch
I think it gets easier as you go at least up to a point. If you have healing equips and use them as items a lot you'll survive a lot better without having to rely on healing items or waste your healing spell charges. That and Knight/Master are so unbelievably broken in damage output you're almost invincible if the enemy is short in number.
>>
>>10899167
materia levels up from the xp from battling. Not from using.
>>
>>10899181
So just fight with them equipped?
>>10899173
>when they max level they clone themselves and you can start all over.
So if it's by battling, is it the same EXP as you get towards leveling yourself up? Could I by endgame just shove an Ice materia onto someone and level it up instantly with one encounter?
>>
>>10899184
It's AP, a separate statistic earned from battle
>>
>>10899190
Could I still level it up quickly later in the game? Is it like FF5's jobs?
>>
>>10899193
>Could I still level it up quickly later in the game? Is it like FF5's jobs?
I would assume endgame FF7 has a enemy you can grind for lots of AP.
>>
>>10899202
Should I have at least leveled up one materia by the end of midgar? All of them have hundreds of AP left to go.
>>
>>10899237
>Should I have at least leveled up one materia by the end of midgar?
I don't think so. It takes quite a while (especially that early on) to max level materia. You're not supposed to be that strong that early on anyways.
>>
>>10899257
Alright. I managed to get an enemy skill from a robot enemy outside midgard that shoots missiles though. I should be good with that.
>>
>>10899261
>Alright. I managed to get an enemy skill from a robot enemy outside midgard that shoots missiles though. I should be good with that.
you could search for a materia guide for the game online so you don't miss any of the missable materia.
>>
>>10899268
I'm good for now I'm just concerned with being unable to level any of them up at all, not maxing them.
>>
>>10899272
>I'm good for now I'm just concerned with being unable to level any of them up at all, not maxing them.
the game is pretty balanced in that regard. as you go on you'll get items with more slots and IIRC better ability to level them up quicker. (i vaguely recall something like that)

as long as you don't miss any of the missable ones, you'll have plenty of time by end game to get them leveled up.
>>
>>10899261
Yeah Matra Magic should carry you for awhile I think.
>>
Have any of you ever defeated Emerald or Ruby Weapon? And if so, was it worth it?
>>
File: Reproduced.jpg (2.54 MB, 4032x3024)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>10886467
All the Final Fantasy games on the original Playstation are some of the best the platform offers. Once I find an affordable and safe place, I would hang the game discs in the acrylic sandwich onto the wall, as 7 is pretty special to me too. Not as good as Tactics, but still hits in all the right ways.
>>
>>10892532
being childhood friends isn't automatically like your romance mangas. Someone you knew when you were little but weren't especially close with is still a childhood friend
>>
>>10886498
source
>>
>>10899401
I think I beat Emerald legit. Never beat Ruby. I think though I beat Ruby via gameshark.

Emerald is absolutely worth it because you get the master summon materia.

Ruby gets you a gold chocobo but you can get that on your own.
>>
>>10892532
Yeah its called a narrative twist.

>Bro the whole movie Bruce Willis was portrayed as being alive but at the end he was actually a ghost! WTF?
>>
>>10899401
I mean they aren't worth it in the sense that they help you beat the game. They are harder than the last boss so if you can beat them you didn't need help. They are worth it in the sense that you get to play more FF7
>>
>>10899401
Yes and Yes.
And even though they're fine superbosses. They fights only scratch the surface of what's possible in combat.
If you ever beat them and feel like playing the game again, pick up some PC mod like gjoelruv's hardcore mod, or New Threat mod.
You also have HardType mod for the PS1 version, but the final boss is a sponge and going through the same animation of it's special attack over and over will tire you off.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.