[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GMUrD1GaMAA0Mb1.jpg (589 KB, 1152x2048)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
There is a $99 clone of the DE-10 Nano now, less than half what an official DE-10 Nano costs.

Will still need testing to see if it's a 1:1 replacement for an official DE-10 Nano, things such as RAM or analog timings, especially for more complex cores like the PSX, Saturn, or N64, are at most risk for having issues if it's not cloned as well, but otherwise it could severely slash the costs of building a MiSTer if it's the same performance an official board.
>>
>>10899439
Chang-senpai, I kneel...
>>
k.. keep me posted
>>
>>10899439
hell yes, god bless china.
>>
>>10899439
But if you clone the clone, you can make it for $5!. We could be buying MiSTer's for $20 a pop!.
>>
Okay, update me as the situation unfolds.
>>
File: 8974561264582.jpg (188 KB, 2176x1033)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>10899439
How much RAM does this one have?
>>
>>10899439
cool, will build another mister for computer stuff if this works out
>>
>>10899535
unironically in 2 years we could get a 20 dollar mister with some optimizations with the progress that is happening today, it will be a wonderful day.
>>
>>10899618
he meant MB ffs
>>
>>10899439
i will date a chinese girl if this works out zhang
>>
>>10899439
I bought my DE-10 for $130 new. I bought it to run older computer platforms on. And now it plays 98% of the N64 library.
>>
File: 1698601056014310.jpg (45 KB, 570x487)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
I bought my mister used on ebay for $20 bucks
>>
>>10899853
fake and cis
>>
>>10899853
>using another man's mister
>>
>>10899439
>Chinklone

Pass.
>>
Lol. Now all the faggots will flock, just as I predicted and got banned for in the last thread... Watch the opinion and sentiment on FPGA change rapidly from this point forward lol.
>>
>>10900032
yeah, mister whining was always sour grapes
>>
>>10900032
>Lol. Now all the faggots will flock
I am a faggot, and I will flock.
For me, the problem about Mister is only that it costs too much. Way too much.
If we can buy it at a reasonable price, it's ok.
I also used to be a Raspberry Pi fanboi, but now it costs too much too, it's simpler to buy a small ITX PC
>>
>>10900054
and tardposting
>ITS JUST SNAKEOIL!
>ITS JUST A MEME LIKE THE PI
>ITS WORSE SOMEHOW THAN MY SHITBOX PC WITH HORRIBLE UI!
tardposting should be a bannable offense
>>
File: IMG_4836.jpg (940 KB, 1167x1277)
940 KB
940 KB JPG
>>10899439
more info
>>
>>10900218
>console version of this with a different PCB layout with most of the existing MiSTer add-ons integrated + one big surprise.
Original cartridge support?
>>
>>10900032
>>10900054
All of a sudden all the poverty-ass south americans that have spent the last few years shitting on Mister are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of finally getting one
>>
>>10900032
>>10900237
>wanting a mister is le bad actually
Are you not happy with the one you have for some reason?
>>
Ok. I still don't have need for one. Hope you guys can weather the storm that is retarded third worlders following some Indian guy's outdated youtube instructional video and managing to destroy their device. This is one of the few constants in the world of homebrew and alternative devices.
>>
>>10900230
>Original cartridge support?
I thought the Mister didnt have enough pins exposed (or something) to make a cartslot possible?
>>
>>10900293
Not MiSTer, the DE-10. But that doesn’t mean a clone couldn’t add the necessary pins to make it possible.
>>
>>10900295
That would break compatibility with just about every addon if it changed it's pinout so significantly. Can you even add extra pins or are basically all of the connections of the FPGA used up?
>>
>>10899460
What's the Chinese language honerific equivalent of senpai?
>>
>>10899535
That's about what I would pay for one.
>>
>>10900439
gweilo
>>
As someone who spent full price on a de-10nano I hope Terasic sues the person making these clones.
>>
>>10900515
It's not a full-on clone, but still has all the necessary parts to be compatible with the Mister framework
>>
>>10900417
If the existing DE-10 was able to do it then we would have seen evidence of it by now

>>10900439
-pingpong
>>
>>10900439
wangdong
>>
>>10900515
Is the platform licensed in some way that would even prevent someone (who cares about copyright laws) from manufacturing compatible boards?
>>
>>10900295
>>10900417
>>10900295
>>10900293
mister DOES support carts
you can use the "retrofreak" cart adapters with it
i dont know why you WOULD but you COULD
>>
>>10900537
>If the existing DE-10 was able to do it then we would have seen evidence of it by now

It could be more a nobody gives a shit thing. Like how there is no CD-I core even though the MiSTer should have no problems running that, it's just that nobody has cared to try to make one.

I would like to see cartridge support (and I mean real cartridge support like the analogue consoles have, not the nonsense like the Retron or Polymega that just use them to dump a ROM) too, but I have to admit I am in quite the minority in wanting to be able to play my real carts on a MiSTer since the vast majority is perfectly fine with using ROMs.

The MiSTer does have support for loading data off an actual cassette tape for the computer cores that support it for example, but almost nobody bothers installing the aux jack addon for that, even though it's both cheap and simple to install.

>>10900558
>>10900515
I know that Terasic didn't make most of the key parts, they just assembled them into a single dev board. Intel makes the FPGA chip, it's possible to buy the chip alone (for about $300), not sure who made the ARM CPU but I doubt it's Terasic, and even if they did not hard to swap in a different one since the ARM CPU just does auxiliary tasks like run the UI that aren't related to emulating the games.

Terasic likely does own the copyright to that very specific board design, but not the rights to exclusively using that FPGA chip, bundling a FPGA chip with an ARM CPU, or FPGA dev boards in general. Good luck getting them to stop if they are coming from China though even on the copyright grounds of it clearly being a copy of their board. If this was intended to be a drop-in replacement for the DE-10 specifically for MiSTer usage though instead of just a generic clone of it then they would have to keep the same shape (at least keep all the GPIO and general other ports in the same locations) to make them stay compatible with current MiSTer addons/motherboards.
>>
>>10900574
From what I can tell those are just USB cartridge dumpers, no different than how Retron or Polymega does it. It's not running the game off the cart like real hardware or Analogue does, it's just dumping the cart and acting like a USB drive for the ROM file.
>>
I just got to wonder what black magic and demon summoning rituals they did to make it supposedly cost around 100 dollars.
>>
>>10900590
>not sure who made the ARM CPU but I doubt it's Terasic, and even if they did not hard to swap in a different one since the ARM CPU just does auxiliary tasks like run the UI that aren't related to emulating the games.

The ARM CPU is directly embedded in the FPGA, it’s not getting swapped out for anything else on this board design.
>>
>>10900609
That's what I am wondering too. The bare FPGA chip costs more than the entire subsidized board itself, how did they manage to get them for so much cheaper? Was it just some limited stock they managed to get their hands on? Did they somehow clone the FPGA chip itself?
>>
>>10900609
The DE-10 used to cost approx $100 and still should be that price now, if not cheaper given how old the components are. All this is doing is giving it to people at a normal price.
>>
>>10900613
The guy doing this says the price of the FPGA being sold on sites like mouser doesn’t reflect how cheap they are when buying in bulk directly from Intel. Says the whole subsidised narrative and general perception of what this all costs is all rubbish.
>>
File: 1706865614939.jpg (2.41 MB, 1896x4726)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>10900621
I know, price shot up like crazy around 2021, you can argue part shortage but that shortage is over now so no reason it should still be so expensive.
>>
>>10900629
Yup, they saw how much more they could make so left it at that price
>>
>>10900629
I wonder if this new board will see the official DE10 drop in price now.
>>
>>10900630
Isn't that illegal due to the whole subsidized by the government thing? I can't image they would be too happy that they are subsidizing it for them and Terasic is now just pocketing a large chunk of it.
>>
>>10900642
This board has to actually become a thing first, then they have to decide if they really care enough to drop the price. Unlikely imho.
>>
>>10900643
Has anyone ever provided proof that anything is subsidized? Because I have seen people parrot that line endlessly over the years but never actually seen anything to back it up.
>>
>>10900621
It cost $100 6 fucking ears ago, what other tech doesn't go down in price for so long?

>>10900643
The story goes that it's subsidized by Intel, not the government. That subsidy is probably only the student's discount but people started to believe the retail price is also subsidized for no reason.
>>
>>10900558
Why though? If you're so mad about spending extra 100 bux you still can sell your shit as RARE VINTAGE ORIGINAL DE10 to some sucker at full price and buy a clone.
>>
>>10899439
>>10900218
he made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RSrzM7dM-Y
>>
>>10900668
meant for
>>10900515
>>
>>10900663
>what other tech doesn't go down in price for so long?

Nintendo consoles lol
>>
>>10900668
>Why though?
I was.. wondering? Making conversation?
>>
Haven't looked into it but I've had a bad experience with arduino clones, so fuck this gay shit. More importantly, should I get into MiSTer now or wait? There's supposed to be a new analogue board in the works. Other than that Mars and Replay? Isn't a new and more powerful FPGA board than the DE10 gonna come out anyways? I feel like I'll spend all this money and something new and amazing and way better will come out two months after.
>>
>>10900834
Mars is vaporware. Not even worth thinking about at this point. At least with this clone shit the guy can actually show us the working prototype.
>>
>>10899439

i fucking hope so because ive wanted a mister for ages but the full setup for what i need costs about $500 and i dont actually even want it for playing retro games, retroarch and my steamdeck is enough for that, i want a mister for old personal computer software, specifically running amiga and atari st music software, sure i could just buy and amiga and atari st and pick up copies of cubase, octamed and the sampler cart for the amiga, but they are becoming expensive and work out pretty much about the same, and they are not really making anymore hardware and if it dies like ive had two ataris die im fucked, usb midi support on the mister replicates the native midi ports on the atari st perfectly and the st cores even have cubase dongle emulation.
>>
>>10899754
>I bought it to run older computer platforms on

yeah ive been looking into that myself specifically for running atari st and amiga music software, mainly cubase and octamed.
>>
Acknowledged. Report back as more information becomes available.
>>
Lol @ the fact that there isn't one person coming in to shit on FPGA, whereas in EVERY other FPGA thread, every other poster is someone that's like "muhhhhhhhhhh it's just emulation I'll use my PC."

Not one in this thread. Imagine that.
>>
>>10900907
It is just emulation though? But as far as emulation boxes go, it's about as good as you can get?
>>
>>10900907
>muhhhhhhhhhh it's just emulation
It is but my PC is roughly 20 times bigger and louder and very hard to connect to CRT.
>>
>>10900907
why the fuck did you bait him out?
>>
Can't wait for the poorfags to remember that analogue pocket exists after they get a mister.

The cognitive dissonance is going to be soooo thick in here.
>>
What's the point of digital I/O boards when the DE10 already has HDMI out?????
>>
>>10900915
Guy that announced the de10 clone also said there's a portable in the works. I'm waiting for that.
>>
>>10900918
SNAC, power and reset buttons, and that's about it. Pretty pointless if you don't need SNAC
>>
>>10900927
Analog boards have SNAC.
>>
>>10900915
I don't get what you're trying to say here. What about the analogue pocket?
>>
>>10900919
Will only grab if it has HDMI out like pocket. The dock is too cool but the limited amount of cores is what hurts it. I use it with an original ps1 and Xbox hooked up to a crt z but it would be nice just to have an all in one handheld.
>>
>>10900930

They've pretended for so long that emulation is the same thing as FPGA. Once they realize how terrible emulation is they are going to want one, but just like all the poorfags that aren't complaining in this thread right now, they'll start crying at how it's overpriced.
>>
>>10900929
Yeah, digital board is the same shit without analog out, making it cheaper and freeing the second GPIO header for dual SDRAM
>>
>>10900941

And you can just use the mister on a CRT by changing the INI and using direct video out.
>>
>>10900940
Pocket is a shit deal regardless of it being FPGA or not. When actual portable mister comes out pocket is going into the trash.
>>
>>10900940
And this assumption of yours is related to the DE10 clone discussion how?
>>
can the mister do a 3.2ghz pentium 4 windows 98 pc?
>>
>>10901001
Best it can do is very slow 486. Runs Doom but nothing fancier.
>>
>>10901001
>can it emulate something faster than itself
sure... at 2 frames per minute
>>
>>10900230
>Original cartridge support?
If true I might pick one up. Current Mister has no added value for me as it's just another 'emulation box' really.

>>10900574
>mister DOES support carts
Nah, that's just a cart dump after which it loads the rom from memory. It's a shit solution nobody wants.

>>10900590
>It could be more a nobody gives a shit thing.
Its the business model of analogue though, there is definitely demand for it but only when executed properly
>>
>>10899439
That's still like $60 too much for being able to emulate up to PSX and some (though not all) N64 games.
>>
and you call it mister despite the fact that it's obviously female
>>
>>10899439
>MiSTer might become cheaper now
Yes, I'm sure the scalpers won't buy up the entire supply and list them for the same price and even misrepresent them as the real thing.
>>
>>10901243
Dropshippers and fakers are a constant on AliExpress, so if you can’t avoid them then that’s a YP
>>
>>10901201
it's not emulation, I think you're mistaking it for those garbage chink handhelds that grifters keep shilling on instagram.
>>
>>10900629
>I know, price shot up like crazy around 2021, you can argue part shortage but that shortage is over now so no reason it should still be so expensive.
Intel was subsidizing the price, hence why it was so cheap. Intel stopped their FPGA subsidizing for education program around 2021, hence why the price shot up, but the DE-10 wasn't the only one, a ton of boards went up in price.
>>
>>10900439
Jackie Chan
>>
Has anyone managed to get Sindens light guns working with MiSTer?
>>
>>10901307
It is and it isn't.
For the PSX, N64, and Saturn, its _NOT_ a straight re-implementation of their chips since there just isn't the room on the FPGA to do that, they're simulating the system's behavior with compleatly custom IC designs. Gen5 (and also the AO486 core) are more like emulation-via-FPGA. Hence why you get the bugs that you do with those cores.
Everything else on the mister is actual recreation of the ICs for FPGA and has 1:1 accuracy for it, and 99% of issues end up being race conditions more then anything else.
>>
>>10901307
If it plays the game, what's the difference? Asking seriously.
>>
>>10900663
>what other tech doesn't go down in price for so long?

Picrel
>>
>>10901307
Analogue had to invent their own definition of "emulation" for this to sound true, mister users don't have to repeat their marketing slogans.
Call it hardware emulation if you want it to be special.

>>10901357
Even with 1:1 accuracy it's a device that emulates other devices.

>>10901409
Higher accuracy and lower latency compared to devices with similar footprint and power consumption. You can get the same quality emulation on a beefy PC but if you need a small dedicated device this is the best you can get.
>>
>>10901525
>Even with 1:1 accuracy it's a device that emulates other devices.
Oh for sure, I don't disagree. I've got a Mister setup and I love the PSX core for it. But it does get annoying seeing people throw out "Its just magically better because it's FPGA". It CAN be better, but thats all up to the implementation, and mistakes can be made even if its a 1:1 of the original ICs.
I mostly got my setup for the 8/16bit computers, being able to do gen5 consoles, even if not 100% accurately, is nice icing on the cake since particularly the PSX core is really good in it's own right.
>>
>>10900653
>>10900663

No idea, it's what I heard. But I noticed that their other dev boards which have lower-end FPGAs or less features cost more, also the chip alone and other's similar FPGAs cost more so I always assumed it was. Though others are pointing out that's misleading now.

Is the student price that much cheaper though? I thought it was like $10 or so less. Not much of a subsidy if that's the case. Why would this rumor even start then? The only ones who would profit are Intel or Terasic, and neither of them give a shit about what MiSTer does, both are far too large a corporation to care at all about any profits a niche homebrew project for a minority of users would bring.

>>10900669
>It doesn't have an official name yet and is just called the MisterFPGA for now

So they did create it specifically for MiSTer setups. That's good news, if there are problems or incompatibilities they are more likely to create a revision to fix them than if it was just a generic DE-10 replacement for whatever that has differences.

The video did mention a few but so far other nothing seems too big that would cause huge issues without an adapter for different USB types (USB-C over Mini for UART, and USB-A over micro for OTG, and an actual header over a mini-USB port for JTag (did anything even use JTag?))

Also can be powered by USB now instead of just a barrel jack, if anything, these sound like improvements to me... as long as they don't break compatibility with existing addons. Uses less power than the original too, that can be helpful considering being able to power a full setup was an issue for some.

The way he is talking though, he has control over it's design? I assumed it was some random Chinese clone he found, not that he was making it, or one of the people making it from the sounds of it.
>>
>>10901487
demand for TI-83 is literally a flat line. No reason to drop in price when a price change wouldn't change your units sold in any way.
>>
>>10900834
>More importantly, should I get into MiSTer now or wait?

Depends:

-Is 5th gen enough for you or do you want Dreamcast?

-Are the few N64 games that don't work a drealbreaker?

-Do you want a FPGA device right now or are you willing to wait several months or maybe even more than a year?

If you want one soon, well, the MiSTer is going to be your only option. If Dreamcast or those missing N64 games are that important then I would wait.

>There's supposed to be a new analogue board in the works

Analogue tends to make you use your original carts unless a jailbreak is found, the Pocket was an exception, and even with that they didn't fully open it up. If you want an all-in-one I would not wait for a future Analogue device.

>Other than that Mars and Replay?

I would not bother with Mars either at this point. Compared to this new clone board that was made with the MiSTer in mind it's massively overpriced and with the Replay2 it's both overpriced and underpowered.... if it ever even releases. The Mars devs have also been total assholes to everyone lately.

The Replay2 (If that ever releases either) is set to be more powerful than the Mars while costing less, and will be a fully open design.

If you want something now, get a MiSTer. If you want to wait, wait for the Replay2. Don't bother with the Mars or future Analogue systems, I doubt their next device will be as semi-open as the Pocket was.

>>10900915
The Pocket's FPGA is not as powerful as the MiSTer's. I suppose if you don't care about 5th gen that's fine, or if you really want the portability (though the MiSTer can be made portable too, but not in as small a package as the Pocket) but otherwise the MiSTer has the Pocket beat in what systems it supports, also features (You need a dock just to get even HDMI out from the Pocket, and is there even a way to get native analog out of it without just converting the HDMI signal to analog?)
>>
>>10900918
I asked that before and there didn't seem to be much of an answer over an Analog I/O board. Over NO board you get some additional controls for the UI and the SNAC port, but other the Analog board all you get over it are a power switch, audio input, and the potential to use dual-RAM of which so far nothing really requires, you of course though lose out on all the analog outputs the Analog board gets you.

>>10901001
I assume you are trolling, but no. It maxes out at 486 systems, specifically, it can do up to a 90Mhz 486 with no FPU and no additional hardware such as a 3d accelerator. I would love if it could go up to a Pentium 1 with a VooDoo 2 or so (Voodoo 3 I assume is asking for way too much even with a more powerful FPGA).

>>10901172
>Its the business model of analogue though

And even they conceded wit the Pocket allowing your own cores that let you just load ROMs. Even many people who bought other previous Analogue devices just hacked them to run ROMs too.

Again, I would love to be able to play my original carts too, but I understand that's a very very niche thing even among the niche users of this product.

>>10901243
A bit too niche to be scalped, if you make the price higher than the Terasic board people will just buy the Terasic board. Even if it's a bit lower than the Terasic board people will go "Eh, at this price difference might as well get the official board". So scalpers would have to buy it at full price, paying the shipping/taxes, and then list it at a price that is not too close to Terasic's price while taking another shipping/ebay(or equivalent) price cut and still manage to be profitable doing that. That's a pretty small margin for all that work, and for a very niche product. Really not worth it. There is a reason just about no MiSTer parts have been scalped yet, and the ones who attempted you can still easily get them elsewhere.
>>
>>10901607
Wouldn't that be a dream 486dx4 and voodoo anything.
>>
File: 1996.png (43 KB, 740x211)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>10901409
Just because the game runs does not mean it's running correctly. These differences can vary from game to game. It can be just some graphical glitches, to causing the game to be harder to play because of missing/incorrect elements, to the game flat out crashing at specific parts. Knife's Edge is broken in a lot of emulators for example and runs either way too fast or slow, some effects are missing/broken in Air Strike Patrol... one of these is your shadow which helps aim at your targets, and in Speedy Gonzales the game flat out locks up at specific points, to list just a few examples.

Here is a good video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMMiBEhnizE

Not to mention that thanks to how inaccurate emulators were at first a lot of older romhacks don't work properly or at all on newer emulators or original hardware.

>>10901525
>You can get the same quality emulation on a beefy PC but if you need a small dedicated device this is the best you can get.

No you can't, you still have additional latency no matter what you do with software emulation (and no, run-ahead is not a magic bullet, it can cause more problems than it fixes) and not only is no PC going to come close to doing cycle-accurate 5th gen anytime soon, but you don't even have the option of run-ahead for that unless you have access to Google's computers.

>>10901571
I know, but it still fits the question.

>>10901626
Indeed, retro PCs are a lot more of a mess to setup than retro consoles, and there is very few options for emulation of those, which aren't done that well either.
>>
>>10900889
You can even get a regular MiST for that, they often have MIDI ports on board.
>>
>>10901589
This post is unreadable.
>>
>>10901731
Must suck to be ESL
>>
>>10901735
Must suck to be a redditor
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 712x108)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>10900834
If I didn't already build one a few years ago I'd probably wait a couple months for the clone board and SDRAM to be fully tested. A MiSTer setup that costs less than half as much is a big card to play.
There are supposed to be consolized and handheld versions too but whatever. Portables benefit hugely from save states and a cart reader sounds redundant at best.
>>
>>10901589
>I doubt their next device will be as semi-open as the Pocket was.
Analogue have already confirmed the N64 console won't have OpenFPGA. Neither did the recent TG16 console. It seems to just be the Pocket that will be supporting it in the immediate future.
>>
>>10901767
>Using formatting means you are a redditor

Ok retard, I'm not the one failing to read simple English.
>>
>>10901792
I'm not gonna read your awful post, no matter how much you bitch about it.
>>
>>10901794
Must suck to suck
>>
>>10901847
(you) certainly know from experience.
>>
>>10901869
Says the person sperging out over announcing they can't read English. You can't even resist replying to me, you realize you have to be at least 18 to post here right? This is the kind of behavior I would expect from a kid.
>>
Somebody needs to make a cheaper version of the mister that focuses only on 8 and 16 bit machines rather than chasing the 5th gen 32 bit pipe dream
>>
>>10901939
pipe dream? n64 and psx cores are excellent, especially considering the fact they were considered a pipe dream. Saturn is looking good. Did this post time travel from 2022?
>>
>>10899439
based
But also how the fuck do I get rid of my DE-10 now?
>>
>>10899439
the price is nothing to do with me not getting it, I'd rather pay extra to get something more powerful. I already have ode's and flash carts for many consoles so its need to be something special for me to get it, I mean my consoles are already cycle accurate, I don't have to wait years for an update to get it.

>>10901939
Something like that where you just plug it into a crt and turn it on without so many adapters.
>>
>>10902103
>Something like that where you just plug it into a crt and turn it on
so... a mister?
>>
File: 1694794259088831.jpg (15 KB, 261x199)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>10899439
FGPA Everdrive>Steam Deck>>Aya Neo pro>>Aya Neo Air>Recalbox>Ayn Odin 2>>Ayn Loki Max>>Asus ROG Ally>Retroid Pocket 4 Pro>Anbernic Win600>Retroid Pocket 4>>Retroid Pocket 3/3+>>Ayn Loki Max>Anbernic RG552>Odroid>>Ayn Loki>Homebrewed and CFW-injected PS Vita>>Raspberry Pi>>Powkiddy A13>>KTR1>Powkiddy X28>>Bactocera>>Aya Neo regular>Caanoo>RP2S>>>Anbernic RG505>Miyoo Mini Flip>>Powkiddy A12>>Ayn Odin>Powkiddy X18S>Trimui Smart Pro>>Miyoo Mini +>Powkiddy RK2023>Anbernic Arc S>Anbernic 353ps>>Anbernic 351p>>Retroid Pocket 2/2+>>Anbernic RG35XX PLUS>Anbernic ARC D>>Powkiddy RGB 30MAX>>Anbernic RG 405M>>Hacked and CFW injected 3DS>Powkiddy RGB30>>Miyoo Mini>>Game Park 32>>CFW-injected PSP>>>Trimui Smart Model S>Anbernic 405V>Minisforum>Anbernic RG35XX>>Revo k101>>Dingoo 330>Powkiddy RGB 20S>MARS>Powkiddy RGB 10 Max>>Dingoo 320>>>BittBoy>>Pocket Boy/Game Console R36S>Pocket Boy R33S>Anbernic 353v>Powkiddy v90>>Analouge Pocket>>Retroid Pocket 1>>Data Frog SF2000>Powkiddy q90>>Powkiddy q80>Gamebox SP>>>Powkiddy q20>>Evercade>Coolboy rs-97+>>Pirate multicart>Powkiddy v90>>Pocket Boy R35S>RG300X>MiSTER>>Dingoo 380>>Retroid Flip>Playdate>PolyMega>Powkiddy a66>>Coolboy rs-97
>>
>>10899439
>works mister scalpers into a seethe
based
>>
>>10902114
Should I get a retroid 4, if we're on this topic?
>>
>>10899439
maybe when it drops to $80 and I can get it off aliexpress
>>
>>10901939
There is the NEStang and SNEStang, they use a much cheaper FPGA, though they so far only support the NES and SNES. There is also the MiST that the MiSTer project spun off of, but at this point the FPGA for the MiST is not that cost-effective to just building a MiSTer, especially with this new cheaper clone.

And as the other anon mentioned, 32 bit is not a pipe dream. The PS1 core is finished, N64 can run almost every game, and Saturn is coming along nicely.

>>10902083
I assume there are still people who will buy it, this board is not expected to come out until the end of May at the earliest, and it still needs to be tested to see if it's a viable 1:1 replacement.

>>10902103
>I don't want an all-in one, I want to use my actual hardware on CRT
>But I also wish there was an all-in-one I could plug into my CRT without adapters

.... umm....

>>10902150
Most of the MiSTer community is very excited for this. Also, what scalpers? Your only real source for the DE-10 was directly from Terasic, and they are not out of stock nor have been for years now. Same goes for any attachments, they are all open source and more than one person makes them.
>>
>>10902150
>oh no, knock-off misters I can sell to retards at full inflated price
>>
>>10902327
Most people buy the parts and assemble a MiSTer, not buy the ripoff pre-assembled ones.
>>
>>10901709

Awesome didnt know there was a thing thats pre assembled, all the stuff ive seen on the mister shows complicated setups with add on boards, i just want something neat in a SFF box without wires and crap everywhere ill youtube see if there are any videos on it running mister atari/amiga cores, ive seen a regular mister running atari cubase flawlessly.
>>
>>10902396
The basic MiSTer setup can be really simple, just a box with A/V and power and peripherals.
>>
>>10902421

yeah im in europe and i specifically only want FPGA replication of atari st cores so i can run cubase with full midi support like this, i have a ton of old samplers and midi gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP3FtNpEfBI

i could just pick up another atari, but ive had two die on me over the past 20 years and if i wanted a fully working atari, + and amiga, + the cartridge for sampling, copies of the software, a compatable monitor etc, you are getting close to actual mister prices with all the bells and whistles anyway.

somebody in here just pointed me in the direction of the mist, which i didnt know was a pre assembled metal box with the midi board already on it, that would literally be perfect, im guessing id just need a vga to hdmi converter and would cross my fingers my usb floppy drive would work.
>>
>>10902436
yeah the MiST is the original project that was first made to be an FPGA implementation of an Atari ST. MiSTer was sort of a spinoff with more powerful hardware.
>>
>>10902438

i wasnt aware to be fair i just thought the mister was the original thing based on that terrasic(sp) board, and i thought i was going to have to build some caseless pi looking thing with add on boards and cables everywhere that cost like $500, i just wanted something in a neat case that wasnt too expensive i can stick on a rack shelf or a desktop that isnt ugly as shit and does one job, maybe two, it would be nice to mess with amiga octamed too, but i learned how to make music on atari cubase and miss just having simple midi only sequencing, something to be said about having those old early 90's music production limits of 16 channels of sampling and some rack effects/pedals
>>
>>10902438
>yeah the MiST is the original project that was first made to be an FPGA implementation of an Atari ST.

>MiST
>ST
duh im an idiot, lmao, yeah just found out a guy in poland makes the systems, would cost me like $250 which is perfect, an atari with cubase and a monitor goes for about those kind of prices over here now anyway, the original hardware is getting tempremental and old, fpga replication would make it more reliable for me.

Ive had issues with getting usb floppy drives to recognize 720kb floppy discs in modern operating systems, if i want them to format in windows 10 you have to open cmd and use "format a: /f:720" to get it to format the discs, you cant do it through the windows gui, cmd line only. shit some usb floppy drives wont even work with 720kb discs at all, ive tried like half a dozen, sony, freecom, fujitsu and sometimes cheap generic chinese drives seem to work though,, i have like 3 usb drives on hand that do and about 300x 720kb floppy discs left, some of my sampler gear has floppy drives in still and ive simply been too lazy to change everything over to floppy drive emulators, though i have done some scsi to sd mods on internal hard drives.
>>
File: 1705614961671.jpg (2.53 MB, 2000x8654)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
>>10902462
There are multiple different ways to build up a MiSTer. That "sandwich" design is the default one most go for but there are many others. Ones that are more of a console design, ones designed to fit in arcade cabinets, ones designed to fit in computer cases, and others.
>>
>>10900237
I'm a poor South American. I cringe when I read about you gringos and your retarded whining about resellers, price gouging and the like. Retrogaming is not an expensive hobby, no matter how you look at it. I won't be getting into FPGAs at any price range. Still emulation, still not good enough for us playing on real hardware. Oh and btw, still whiter than you, since that's your usual last ditch effort "comeback". Cry more, cucky jingo bitch. :)
>>
File: mist.jpg (121 KB, 1080x1090)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>10902497

yeah the mist setup with the inbuilt midi is literally perfect and exactly what i wanted providing that mister core with the cubase dongle support works and my usb floppy drive works, i dont need anything other than midi and usb, hdmi out would be nice, but i could work around that.

>pic related, its perfect
>>
File: 4ef3aa6a589a4_132368b.jpg (91 KB, 800x600)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>10902486
>Ive had issues with getting usb floppy drives to recognize 720kb floppy discs in modern operating systems

Yeah, a lot of those USB floppy drives are really cheap crap. Have you tried finding a used a MPF82E or FDDM-101? They are floppy drives intended to be an internal drive for some old laptop, but they also had a Mini-USB port on them so they could be used as an external drive. They were legit floppy drives from the time, not some modern crappy attempt at remaking them.

The FDDM-101 should still be easy to find used, and tends to go for less than those usb floppy drives new. I used one to read many old 720KB disks recently, though I admit I didn't try formatting any.
>>
>>10902502
Projecting harder than a RPTV
>>
>>10902516

i have some freecom usb drives around, they only format 1.44mb discs through windows 10 gui, i dont think windows has recognised 720kb floppies since before the windows 7 days, but you can force them to format 720kb discs via cmd line with that command "format a: /f:720" and my old akai/emu samplers can then see the 720kb formatted ones if there were any drive errors, the drives in that hardware seems to see both 1.44mb and 720kb discs but the 720kb ones sometimes need a format on an external drive as sometimes fomatting on the sampler doesnt always work unless its 1.44mb discs

its just weird old hardware things, ive got hundreds of 720kb discs still around, honestly for sampling they are not too bad as if you have low bitrates and sample rates something like a bass/low freq sine wave barely uses a few dozen kb, its only when you start sampling higher bitrate/samplerate/sample length noises like cymbal crashes or higher quality vocal samples that disc space gets eaten, you can sometimes stretch a floppy to fit like 20 seconds of audio on, which doesnt sound like a lot, but sounds like a kick drum or a synth wave often take less than a second, where as a symbal crash might take 4 seconds, sometimes you only need 10-20 samples on a disc and 720kb works if you get creative, 1.44mb discs are a luxury sometimes on old samplers
>>
>>10902516
>>10902548

on a related note it would be curious if i could format 720 floppys, burn amiga/atari/dos .img files to them and then get them to boot on a mister amiga/st/dos computer core via usb floppy drive, id like to mess with some old dos games like dungeon master and carrier command.

i remember the atari version of monkey island being terrible though it was about 8 colours and about 10fps lmao.
>>
File: dump.png (209 KB, 1000x499)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>10902560
You would probably need something like a Kryoflux or Greaseweasel if you want to deal with all sorts of custom floppy formats off a modern PC.
>>
>>10902519
still got a rise out of you
>>
>>10902502
>Retrogaming is not an expensive hobby, no matter how you look at it
Giga-based. I used to play on emulators on my shitty PC 15 years ago. But maybe for me it's more about playing good games and less about being a fat slopburger hoarding electronics just to prove he lives in what is for the moment the first economy in the world.
>still whiter than you
You tell them buddy

(I'm Italian btw. Seethe burgers. Multipolar world is on the way - and we are all fucked!!!)
>>
>>10902502
>im a poor south american
stopped reading there
if you're a poor mans version of anything you have issues with self-perception

FPGA is the FUTURE
>>
>>10902103
>plug it into a crt and turn it on without so many adapters
There is an IO board for mister with composite adapter built in if that's what you mean. I recently got one and it's very sleek.

>>10902083
I guarantee you there would be people believing that "real de10 is more accurate".
>>
>>10902263
This seems to be an aliexpress type of business from the start, I imagine that's the lowest it can go for now.
>>
>>10902736
>FPGA is the FUTURE
Wonderful, we will get into FPGA with $100 boards.
All those burgers who bought them at $600 must not seethe. It seemed a fair price at the time, you bragged about having disposable money, so you disposed it. I can understand it might be disappointing, but let's not seethe against people living in less rich countries.
>inb4 you are poor chilean
I'm in Italy, and while I have a good wagecuck paycheck, none of my money is disposable.
>>
>>10902785
>All those burgers who bought them at $600 must not seethe
Only 230 of those 600 was the main board that got cloned, the full sandwich will now go for 470 I guess
>>
>>10902787
>Only 230 of those 600 was the main board that got cloned, the full sandwich will now go for 470 I guess
Fuck, I admit I am a poor retard
That's.... still too much for playing old games in the evening... at least for me
I'm still happy that new technologies can be bought for cheaper, so more frens can be happy
>>
>>10902807
You don't actually need to buy the full sandwich to play, just the board and SDRAM, and with the clone that goes from 280 to 115
>>
>>10902787
>Only 230 of those 600 was the main board that got cloned, the full sandwich will now go for 470 I guess
>>10902787
>Fuck, I admit I am a poor retard
>That's.... still too much for playing old games in the evening... at least for me

You're both idiots.

First of all, that $600 pricepoint is bullshit that retards have been trolling with for months now.

Second, the RAM was cloned too. The higher-end modules used to cost $65, the cloned one is $15.

Third, all you really need is the board and RAM, everything else is 100% optional. Even the RAM is technically optional depending which cores you want to run as not all of them need it. The other additions are just to give it a USB hub and analog outputs. And even with the original DE-10 and RAM prices it would not cost you $600 to have a fully decked out build.
>>
>>10902807
That 600 build is only one option, the most expensive too due to the (really nice) passively cooled case and prebuild cost.

You could put a "full sandwich" together with an acrylic case for $350 before this price drop, sub $250 builds with everything included will soon be a thing again.
>>
>>10902812
>You're both idiots.
I know
If the prices actually come down I might look more in detal. Thanks for the info
>>
>>10902736
Nah, you ate my post wholesale, which is why you felt the need to reply. FPGA is just emulation with extra steps.

Poor or not, still leagues above you. Cheers!
>>
>>10900886
>>10900889
Why not just use Amiga or Atari ST emulators?
>>
>>10902842
Sounds like he wants to connect physical MIDI devices to it, which while I assume that's possible with software emulators, it's likely a bitch to setup and/or get working properly.
>>
>>10902828
>FPGA is just emulation with extra steps.

Those extra steps being? Because from my experience it's been way easier to setup and maintain than the equivalent on PC.
>>
>>10899439
Update from that guy on the roadmap, so we can also expect a cheaper Mega SG/Super NT later this year:

For those wondering, this is the 2024 product roadmap mentioned in the video:

$99 MiSTer board -> Flagship MiSTer console -> MiSTer handheld -> Mainstream MiSTer console - > Low-cost cartridge-based MiSTer console
>>
>>10902842
You simply can't do proper MIDI timing with software emulation.
>>
>>10902842

midi timing is fucked if you emulate, at least i could never get it tight enough personally, it needs to be flawless otherwise you get weird phasing and sync issues, its fine for games having slight delay due to emulation you dont notice but for midi production software it has to be pretty much perfect, ive tried using a pi4 using amiberry or hatari, emulating on pc and it couldnt get it right, the mister or the original hardware or just using a modern computer is about the only way to get rock solid timing, emulation just doesnt cut it, there are advantages too to running a replica via FPGA like higher resolution (1280x960) than was possible on the original hardware back in 1989/90 so the display is nice as crisp on a more modern monitor, back in those days monocrome high res was 640×400 and required a dedicated monitor of which there are less and less every year, though you can get adapters for vga etc, scart, svideo etc didnt support the high resolution needed for stuff like music software.

there is probably delay using fpga replication also over the original hardware, but its low enough that i dont personally notice it and for this specific use case is better than emulation.

when you have a retro home studio setup having 40 year old computers to control it all is just another thing that can and will break and cause problems or just die at some point, ataris were rock solid for midi, and amigas have a grit to the sound thats a little harder to replicate on modern stuff because of the bad bitrate, so they have a sound like those old akai samplers wth low bitrates that everybody pays crazy money for now, they were like perfect hardware for making early 90's electronic/sample based music.

it all seems like a bit of a niche thing but believe it or not there is a pretty active subculture of atari/amiga music enthusiasts still making and messing with music produced on the 35-40 year old computer hardware using old rack samplers etc.
>>
>>10902932
>so we can also expect a cheaper Mega SG/Super NT later this year

Based on what?
>>
>>10902967
>there is probably delay using fpga replication also over the original hardware
You can use original light guns on mister so if you're using the serial port there isn't. There is if you're using a USB adapter, though, since USB goes through the linux side rather than being directly exposed to FPGA.
>>
>>10902932
>Flagship MiSTer console
>Mainstream MiSTer console

What's the differences between these?

Also, interesting, so there will be a cartridge based one, though odd how that is the low-cost option. Did he say what's going to be missing from it?
>>
>>10902967
>it all seems like a bit of a niche thing but believe it or not there is a pretty active subculture of atari/amiga music enthusiasts still making and messing with music produced on the 35-40 year old computer hardware using old rack samplers etc.

there are like a hundred youtubers with a few thousand subs making 90's style music and using amigas and ataris im aware of, some of them are original artists from the 90s scene some are new artists who were just kids like myself when that thing was blowing up in europe.

covid and the lockdowns pushed the price on a ton of gear up too and it didnt settle back down really, you were once able to pick up amigas and ataris cheap, but they are generally a few hundred now for the proper setup, cheaper fpga basically puts replicas in the price range with none of the downsides of having the original hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDn7ZDcx9w0
>>
>>10902979
I imagine one got every possible addon built in and another is just base board with sdram in a case.
>though odd how that is the low-cost option
Probably low cost compared to analogue, not to basic mister.
>>
File: Re-l.jpg (27 KB, 736x736)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>10902874
Have you considered that maybe you're just retarded? I mean, you did fall for the FPGA scam, so that's pretty much a given, but even third world brown people can set up an emulator. Assuming, of course, that this isn't just another layer of cope. This entire thread is basically one big therapy session for people who spent hundreds of dollars on something that's free after all.
>Y-You'll all ch-change your tune now...!
Definitely not insecure, right?
>>
>>10902993
>Have you considered that maybe you're just retarded?
Every damn day lol.

>I mean, you did fall for the FPGA scam
Nah, MiSTer does exactly what I thought it would and more.The benefits of usign an FPGA are legit.

>spent hundreds of dollars on something that's free after all.

Hardware costs money, the emulators are free. That's the same for software and hardware emulation, only it costs a LOT more to build a PC that runs emulation at the same level or worse than MiSTer.

You still didnt answer my question btw, what are the extra steps? Stay on topic you loon.
>>
>>10902993
>Have you considered that maybe you're just retarded?
Ever notice how people who ask this are the ones who most need to look into a mirror?

>I mean, you did fall for the FPGA scam
Especially when they say braindead stuff like this

>but even third world brown people can set up an emulator
And it's even simpler to set up a MiSTer, so what does that say about you?

>This entire thread is basically one big therapy session for people who spent hundreds of dollars on something that's free after all.
No, it's more all your posts have been one big cope session to deal with being a poorfag, too poor to even afford chinkware clones

>Definitely not insecure, right?
Again, mirror.
>>
>>10903004
>Stay on topic you loon.
Right, we want the links to buy these clones and we will setup FPGA stations for our buddies in our junkyards. We can BBQ and play (and burp, and fart) without the wives bitching about our smell.
>>
>>10903004
>what are the extra steps
nta but you have a PC dude, everyone does, anything over it is a extra step and emulation at the end of the day.
i can see this FPGA meme being something in the future, you can still easily and for a reasonable price buy the real deal, NOTHING will ever surpass the actual console.
>>
>>10902993
>one big therapy session for people who spent hundreds of dollars on something that's free after all.
I lost mid-six figures on dogcoins in the last few weeks and find it funny. Nobody over the age of 18 cares about losing a few hundred dollars.
>>
>>10901886
You're the same sperg that got triggered over Friends.
>>10901939
Doesn't that exist already with the SiDi?
>>10902150
Do MiSTer scalpers even exist?
>>
>>10903030
>NOTHING will ever surpass the actual console
The RGB output from the MiSTer is always going to be better than old consoles, while also having digital 1080p at the same time.
>>
>>10903042
>You're the same sperg that got triggered over Friends.

I have no idea what the fuck you're even talking about. If you mean the show for some reason, I have never watched it.
>>
>>10903031
>I lost mid-six figures on dogcoins in the last few weeks and find it funny.
Wow. You must be incredibly rich by Europoor standards.
And yet, much more incredibly stupid. Real or not, tell us more shit like this. It's funny
I like to burp and fart at the same moment. But now I drink much less beer, it's difficult sometimes....
Anyway, back to retrogaming:

>>10903042
>Do MiSTer scalpers even exist?
I don't know. Maybe not. There's not enough normie demand. I remember reading about PS5 scalpers and normies seething like "I HAD to buy my son a PS5 as I promised, but $5K are little bit too much! Scalping should be outlawed! The basic law of supply and demand is so medieval and makes us seethe!!! I'm gonna write a post on reddit!"
>>
File: 1655205915672.png (408 KB, 1000x871)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
Considering retro consoles are not getting any younger, is soulless FPGA technology our future? Are we just waiting on a more powerful chip at this point? Are we going to be having goofyass 10 in 1 FPGA consoles everywhere on the internet at some point?
>>
>>10903067
>Are we going to be having goofyass 10 in 1 FPGA consoles everywhere on the internet at some point?
In a perfect world: yes. In reality: no. The average normalfag will see 16:9 stretched 1 second long input delay ARM emulation with a "fancy" frontend and think it's amazing. Trying to explain to them why FPGA is better and why it costs more will be a wasted effort.
>>
>>10903067
Maybe.
We already have 20 in 1 cheapo AliEx consoles.
The technology may switch to FPGA, but sure we aren't getting any more "original hardware" in the next years, surely not of consoles that went out of production in the late 90s.
We can build controllers, mod the fuck out of PCs and SBCs, but the mainboard and cpus are not coming back
Sad, but true
FPGA may help us in the future. But I'm sure that emulation is the bigger part of retrogaming nowadays
>>
>>10903078
>In reality: no
What makes you say so?
>>10903083
Emulation is trash.
>>
>>10903091
>What makes you say so?
I already explained it. Normalfag retards don't understand quality.
>>
>>10903091
>Emulation is trash.
First: FPGA is still emulation. Wonderful, precise, emulation, but still emulation.
Second: it's either "original hardware" or emulation. And all the original hardware will eventually die one day. I still have my SNES, PS1, and PS2, and all my games. But I emulate because it's much more convenient.
I play on my chinkheld because I can't bring multiple arcade cabinets with me while I wait at the dentist's.
So, we can either pretend to be super-hardcore-ultra-real-gamers, or we can accept reality and think of ways of preserving these games, and this culture, for the future.
>>
>>10903030
Thats it? The extra step is just buying something? Next time try actually having a point before typing a load of shit.
>>
>>10903030
>you can still easily and for a reasonable price buy the real deal

>>10903105
>Thats it? The extra step is just buying something? Next time try actually having a point before typing a load of shit.

You are both gay and retarded, you should get married so you can have smelly buttsex while you argue about hardware, like a real husbando and waifu
>>
>>10903096
Normalfags understand youtube shilling, but also normalfags are not in the picture whatsoever.
>>10903102
>I still have my SNES, PS1, and PS2, and all my games. But I emulate because it's much more convenient.
Normalfag, don't reply to me please.
>>
File: nintendoman.jpg (126 KB, 480x552)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>10903109
>Normalfag, don't reply to me please.
Don't worry, I already wasted too much time arguing with retards. I thought I wasn't normal, I also have an autistic friend but here on this website you are really mentally insane.
Please go on pretending to be some real-hardcore-gaming-captain-in-the-butthole
>>
>>10903109
>but also normalfags are not in the picture whatsoever
Normalfags are the ones who buy X in 1 systems. It's going to be hard to compete with 200000+ games EmulationStation listings on Amazon for 50 bucks.
>>
>>10903030
>you can still easily and for a reasonable price buy the real deal

Send me a link to a 1080p scaler and all the consoles, computers and arcade PCB's that MiSTer supports for $350 please.
>>
>>10903129
Oh and dont forget the flash carts and optical drive emaultors too. Everything for $350, where is it?
>>
>>10903125
Selfies go on /soc/.
>>
>>10903129
>1080p scaler

Speaking of this, is the MiSTer basically a free scaler, or does it look like shit when outputting 240p content to 1080p?
>>
>>10903091
>>10903108
oh you can waahwaah as much as you want and when you are done fpga emulation will still be emulation.
>>
File: Alien Syndrome.webm (3.76 MB, 532x400)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB WEBM
>>10903143
It has perfect 1080p output with various options for aspect ratio and VRR. If you want zero shimmering on flat screens you can set it to integer scaling. It can output 240p over the analog IO board and 1080p through HDMI at the same time with no issue.
>>
>>10903143
The Mister looks better than an OSSC hooked up to 240p consoles blown up to 1080p. It isn't powerful enough for 4k and while I haven't seen one in person I am sure the retrotink and real consoles would look much better.
>>
>>10903061
>>Do MiSTer scalpers even exist?
>I don't know. Maybe not. There's not enough normie demand.

It's not a product that you feasibly CAN scalp. The main component of a MiSTer is the DE-10 Nano board, and there is only one real supplier of those (for now, soon there will be at least two). And that supplier has ample supply, it's not like they are always sold out like GPUs were a few years ago, anyone who wants one right now can buy one directly from them.

Beyond that, just about every other component is optional and/or open source and also has multiple suppliers all of which are rarely sold out. This isn't like the PS5 you mentioned where you can only get the entire product as a single piece, and only from Sony, who has a limited supply. It's literally not scalable, it would be like trying to scalp some DIY product based on an Arduino, you can get those anywhere.

>>10903067
Pretty much, while many retro consoles still have many years in them (especially if you replace the caps) the only real replacements for them will be FPGAs, nobody can or would care to re-manufacture decades old proprietary chips and we don't even have facilities to remake most of them anymore. There are already drop-in FPGA replacements for common failing components on Commodore64 boards (the PLA and SID chips specifically). We have already found several viable more powerful alternatives for future FPGA systems as well, it's just taking time to design an entirely new setup around them. I doubt they will be cheap enough to take the place of the ARM-based chinkware that is flooding Ali though, they will never become cheaper than ARM, and those craphelds are based on being as cheap as possible.
>>
>>10903143
It has a scaler that runs on the FPGA, it's incredibly low latency and produces as good an output as you would hope for going to 1080p or even 1440p. How exactly it looks is up to you, there are a ton of CRT shaders and filters, nearest neighbour, bilinear, integer scaling etc etc. Then you have the ease of outputting original refresh rates over HDMI again with virtually no latency. Its a very flexible and fully featured set of options for output, I don't think you would have any complaints there.
>>
>>10903159
So basically there's no point in owning a SNES, Megadrive, Neo-Geo, or a PS1, because you can just get a MiSTer? Ar at least as far as I've heard those are the so called "perfect" cores.
>>10903162
That's fine, personally I don't care about 4k at all. I'm still on a 1080p monitor and other than that I just have a 480i CRT TV.
>>10903167
>We have already found several viable more powerful alternatives for future FPGA systems as well, it's just taking time
Like that Intel one that's allegedly currently under development? I wonder if I should wait or buy what we have now.
>>
>>10903189
>So basically there's no point in owning a SNES, Megadrive, Neo-Geo, or a PS1, because you can just get a MiSTer?
Pretty much. You can get SNAC adapters and use original controllers with them with zero latency too.
>>
>>10903189
>So basically there's no point in owning a SNES, Megadrive, Neo-Geo, or a PS1, because you can just get a MiSTer? Ar at least as far as I've heard those are the so called "perfect" cores.

Ummm, I think the MiSTer doesn't support that one SNES Mahjong game that had an ARM CPU in it? The second one I mean, it supports the first one.

So if for some reason you really really really wanted to play a 30 year old Japanese mahjong game on your SNES, that's one reason? No idea if Megadrive homebrew with custom chips like Paprium work either, if you have one of those scam carts.

So for a few 0.001% edge cases I guess?
>>
ITT: a fool and his money are soon parted
>>
>>10903230
same for emulation lol, why spend more
>>
>>10903026
>Ever notice
No. This is about average people, tired of having to put up with your "neurodiversity". No mirrors, you're the retard. lmao
>>
>>10904478
Struck a nerve did I?
>>
>>10903189
>So basically there's no point in owning a SNES, Megadrive, Neo-Geo, or a PS1, because you can just get a MiSTer?
We are basically there, yes. Add NES, PC Engine and CD, SMS, and Saturn.
N64 has hardware limitations that certain games can’t deal with at this point.
>>
>>10904497
Sounds shitty, i want to play with the original consoles because that's part of the experience.
>>
>>10904501
Okay, then just do that?
>>
>>10904501
Nothing is stopping you? Many people have both, it's not like there is some cult pact you have to sign where you must toss away your consoles if you get a MiSTer.

I want to get a MiSTer but still have no intention of tossing away my original consoles, and it's going to be great for both the systems I have and the ones I don't own the hardware for.
>>
>>10904501
Okay go for it
>>
>>10904497
>Add NES, PC Engine and CD, SMS, and Saturn.

I didn't add those because they're all garbage and I never wanted to play them in the first place. N64 included.
>>
>>10904579
k… thanks for letting me know
>>
>>10904584
No worries. I could also elaborate further if you'd like.
>>
>>10904587
By all means anon, go in to detail
>>
>>10904603
I would ask Father for the popular game systems that all my friends at school were playing and he'd simply point at the Colecovision and say "let me guess, you 'need' more". As such, I harbor deep hatred for the games I never got to experience as a child.
>>
>>10904603
Alright bro here I go. So realistically the NES is obviously not trash, however it's the only console I had as a kid aside from the Genesis. Both were bootleg but still played a shit ton of NES. I have zero desire to play it again. Genesis I put in the list because I only had MK3, Road Rash 2, some 3D tetris game, Super Volleyball, and some Power Rangers beat em up, and I feel like there's much more to play. The rest you mentioned I feel have no note worthy games that can't also be played on other platforms. The Saturn while cool, only has like 1-2 exclusives worth looking at. Dreamcast and PS1 make it obsolete. N64 I can't name a single game I'd like to play on.
>>
>>10904641
based dad
>>
>>10904643
You do you, but its your loss, especially with the NES and Genesis.
Most of my favorites on the Genesis in particular are games that I never grew up with and played by just opening roms randomly and playing for a few minutes. Would have never check out stuff like Gunstar Heros and Ranger X otherwise.
>>
>>10904497
As someone who never owned an n64, the mister core is well good enough for me to not bother. I'm not that desperate to play conker.
>>
>>10904717
The Genesis is on the list of consoles to be played, little brother.
>>
>>10904579
NES games are the essence of gaming. If you don't like pure unfiltered NES gameplay, then you simply aren't a real gamer and you need to get the fuck off this board senpai.
>>
>>10904906
Word
>>
>>10899439
Excellent. $99 dollars is the correct price it should have been, not $600.
>>
>>10904945
The de-10 nano itself costs 225 usd, it used to be more like 130 usd. The $600 is for the prebuilt mister kits you can find, which are a ripoff. I imagine the consolized version for the clone will be closer to $250.
>>
>>10899439
You know what's cheaper and also better? Emulators. That you can download. For free.
>>
>>10905125
mister OS and cores are all free
you still have to buy hardware that can run your emulators
>>
>>10900439
師傅 (shi fu)
>>
>>10905128
don't you guys own PCs?
>>
>>10905169
PCs cost money. You saw value in the capabilities of your PC and so you bought one. Or your phone or your hacked Wii or your chinkheld or whatever. Same thing.
>>
>>10905179
I was referencing that blizzard guy, but even as a mister owner I get where that anon is coming from. Pretty much everyone owns a PC already for other purposes which can already emulate just fine for most people.
>>
>>10899439
Big if true, hope it comes together.
Cheaper MiSTeR plus proper console and a handheld seems fucking based. I'd gladly shell out for an FPGA handheld that can do PSX, N64 and Saturn, hopefully with a nice screen.
>>
>>10904945
>*buys the entire stock*
that'll be $599.99 ;^)
>>
>>10905234
The people buying MiSTer systems tend to have specific things they want out of them that they satisfy very well (like easily displaying games on a 15khz CRT without weird issues).
>>
>>10905280
Exactly, like myself, but that is not most people who don't give a shit about bulky tube tvs.
>>
How's N64 on MiSTeR these days? Last I checked itbwas just booting things. Can you play shit like Bomberman 64?
>>
File: n64 not working.png (45 KB, 1095x718)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>10905475
It's placebo-tier for the games it works for, which is like 98% of the n64 library (including bomberman 64). Unfortunately a few games don't work, notably conker and jet force gemini. It has something to do with the de-10's ddr3 memory not being reliably fast enough, causing games that require very accurate timings to crash. A few other games have very minor issues like the attract mode running slightly too fast like banjo tooie. Other than that, you couldn't tell the difference between mister and real hardware.
>>
>>10904906
I've played them more than enough and considering time is finite then no I'm not going to waste it by playing NES, when I can catch up on SNES, PS1, and Dreamcast especially, little boy.
>>
>>10905870
Funny, for me it's the exact opposite where I prefer the 8 and 16 bit stuff as I find 5th gen too crappy to look at and 6th gen is just a very crude version of modern games really.
>>
>>10906042
4, 5, and 6 are goated.
>>
>>10905169
I'm waiting for the mental gymnastics with the replies on this
Ahahahah
>>
>>10904478
>No. This is about average people, tired of having to put up with your "neurodiversity". No mirrors, you're the retard. lmao
Giga-based
Autism is a mental illness
If you "self-diagnose" it, it just becomes your "gender", and there are many of those
>>
the mister bubble is bursting
>>
>>10906218
What bubble? DE-10 Nano prices?
>>
>>10906207
Put your head in a plastic bag and close it while you’re waiting.
>>
>>10906218
>We will be able to get MiSTers much cheaper and even in consoled and handheld form!
=
>the mister bubble is bursting

Are you ok? Do you have brain damage?
>>
>>10906246
If anything it's going to boom for a while for mister addon shills
>>
>>10905274
This isn't made by analogue, they're going to keep pumping $100 boards out until people stop buying.
>>
>>10906246
Mister shills are annoying, but mister haters are absolutely mind broken.
There is a reason why every mister thread ends up exactly the same.
>>
>>10906242
Do you actually use your Mister?
Or you bought it just because you could prove to yourself you're not a normie?
>"I.... I... I am a real gamer. Button mashing, dew drinking, doritos eating gamer.... I must tell those other faggots on 4chan! I'm better than them
Pizza time for me, enjoy your low IQ mistaken as autism!!!
>>
>>10906401
The plastic bag would take too long. Choose a faster method.
>>
>>10906590
What if the plastic bag is full with my farts after this wonderful peperoni and salamino pizza? Just a bit bad for my hemorroids....
Ouch!
>>
>>10899439
Fuck off udon you inbred chink.
>>
what if mister was a girl
>>
>>10907167
Then it'd be Ma'AM
>>
>>10907167
I'd play on your missus ;)
>>
>>10907247
>your missus
sorry anon i have 2 misters
>>
Every time I hear about this the more I get interested in FPGAs. It's cool that (in principle, I imagine some work on the cores still needs to be done) we can drop it in as a replacement for most hardware before the 80s.
>>
Is it true that the mister analog I/O board produces a dim image for VGA monitors?
>>
>>10907839
The MiSTer cores in no way allow them to be drop-in replacements, they are not intended to be or designed that way.

Not that you can't do it, there are FPGA drop-in replacements for some of the Commodore64's parts, just that nothing on the MiSTer will work that way nor is designed or intended for that purpose.
>>
honestly I hope it gets even more expensive to gatekeep losers out of my hobby
>>
Damn Taki is starting a company to sell these? He's gonna make a fortune
>>
>>10899530
>>10899460
The producer is actually a western YouTuber (Taki Udon) who seems to be either Canadian or American but I'm surprised China didn't just do this themselves years ago
>>
>>10900595
MiSTer literally cannot read data directly from a cart in real time, the IO does not support it. You must dump the game first
>>
>>10900919
Portable mister is an enticing prospect, but it's all about that build quality. A shit d-pad is enough to ruin the whole thing.
>>
>>10908162
That only true for the DE-10, the cloners plan to make changes to the design from what I am reading.
>>
>>10908183
I hope they don't pander to coomlectors, it's just gonna inflate the price.
>>
>>10908185
Geting this out of the hands of Terrasic and not needing to use the DE-10 is the best way to ensure price rises like we saw since Covid won't be likely to happen again. None of the community or third part store made parts (USb hub, IO boards, RAM etc) have ever gone up in price, so if we get the main board into similar hands for production I don't see any arbitary price increases happening.

But these still a long way to go before any of this happens, go to show they can get a clone into production first.
>>
>>10908185
There will be multiple versions
>>
>>10900515
You're just jealous.
>>
>>10899439
I heard that the completed clone is $300, unlike the $600 version. Which sounds good.
>>
Interesting interview:
https://www.readonlymemo.com/cheap-mister-fpga-clone-taki-udon-details-interview-release-plans/

>In terms of future products: "There's going to be a console version that includes everything that's in the analog I/O, USB daughter, digital I/O, soldered SDRAM, and a bunch of SNACs for around $200-$250." This "flagship" console model "is meant to reproduce all of the functionality of popular add-ons + one other awesome feature that doesn't exist in other options"
>The planned order of product releases: "PCB > Flagship > Handheld > Mid-tier > Cheap cart console"
>So the big question: When will you be able to buy one? Taki gave me a more specific estimate than I expected here: "Could be within 2 months."

>We started by buying a DE10 locally, which is even more expensive than the current price listed online. After we had that, we started studying how the MiSTer system worked and how the Linux side of MiSTer interacts with the FPGA. At that time, the goal was to make a successor to MiSTer based on a high-performance Xilinx FPGA.
>>
if you didn't play on a real de-10 nano, you didn't beat the game.
>>
>>10911106
>one other awesome feature that doesn't exist in other options
He needs to stop teasing, what the fuck is it.
Hope it's not NFC nonsense and is something actually useful.
>>
>>10911138
Salty that there's a cheaper alternative now and you can't sell it for $600?
>>
>>10911420
I think he's just joshing, chill
>>
File: IMG_4856.jpg (348 KB, 965x960)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>>10911181
>NFC nonsense
You mean like the tapto reader?
>>
>>10911436
Yeah, hope it's not that.
>>
>>10911431
No, no, we have to convince people that is the case so I can sell my old mister for full price and buy the clone for cheaper.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.