[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: d6hek9oq8h781.png (388 KB, 720x841)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
>SF2
>SF2:CE
>SF2:Turbo
>SF2:TNC
>SF2:Hyper
>SF2:Turbo HD Remix
>Ultra SF2
>>
People were buying new cabs all the time because of its unwaning popularity. How is slightly updating it milking it more than publishing slight revisions.
>>
>>11044102
mario? madden?
>>
>>11044102
I'd milk Chunners for as long as I'd be able to stay in this mortal world. No wonder Capcom felt the same
>>
>>11044102
Mega Man, maybe. SF at least redid the sprites every 3 games or so.
>>
>>11044176
That's a series, not a single entry

>>11044102
Does xv2 count?
>>
>>11044102
I wish Ultra SF2 wasn't stuck on the Switch, If they released it again I hope it includes a Hyper like mode that has every version of the character maybe toss in Shadow Lady Chun and Killer Bee Cammy to go along with Evil Ryu and Violent Ken.
>>
>>11044102
GIWTWM
>>
>>11044102
Guitar Hero was milked so bad it fucking died.
>>
>>11044102
Pac-Man and Space Invaders come close. Though on a more general level I would also say Madden, FIFA, 2K etc.
>>
>>11044380
Guitar Hero 1 was released one time.
>>
>>11044397
Street Fighter 2 was released 1 time.
>>
>>11044102
>And I can get back to being a young single girl
How come she's still a virgin 30 years later then?
>>
>>11044102
>>11044137
Not even that. Back in the day you could buy "upgrade kits" to update a game to a newer version for a fraction of what it costed to buy a full cab. Perpetuating this meme the multiple SFII iterations were nothing but savage jewery goes show complete ignorance of the medium.
>>
>>11044102
>>11045041
A good way to think about it is that CAPCOM manufactured, say, 30000 copies of the first variation. Then when it’s close to selling out they have the option of reprinting the original (another 30k copies, which may or may not sell out) or making modifications and selling that (added benefit is super fans will buy multiple copies meanwhile those who weren’t interested in the first variation might be more compelled to buy the new one). It’s safe to assume they didn’t sell regular SF and the variations at the same time.
>>
>>11044102
Real talk, that SNES Ending Exclusive Chun-Li look is hot as fuck.
>>
>>11044397
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero#List_of_games
>12 games in 5 years
>>
File: 1718659796567427.png (109 KB, 422x480)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>11045041
>noo stop upgrading and improving the game, that is bad because LE JEWS
>>
I think Just Dance might have them all beat
>>
File: 1669840987681130.gif (763 KB, 500x275)
763 KB
763 KB GIF
>>11045205
Any yearly sports titles beats it easily, and I say that as someone who enjoys sports titles really.
>>
>>11045025
Autism
>>
>>11045106
The crazy thing is they all sold well, except the very last. Interest literally dropped off a cliff in one year.
>>
>>11045041
People talk about Street Fighter 2 fatigue and how capcom stuck with it too long but really it comes down to Super Street Fighter not being a drop in upgrade to cabinets.
Moving to CPS2 really killed their potential install base.
I didn't even see a CPS2 cabinet until X-Men vs Street Fighter / Alpha 2. Meanwhile in the 90's I could throw a stick anywhere in town and hit a Hyper Fighting cabinet.
>>
>>11044195
>That's a series, not a single entry
I disagree with Madden being a series. Most entries are a single game with yearly major update patches.
>>
I wonder if people would still be cracking jokes about Street Fighter II having a million versions if they went the King of Fighters route and tried to pass off the updates as sequels.
>>
>>11045989
This. EA doesn't even give a shit and the versions that are just players and teams updates are labelled as "legacy".

And for retro games, I think Rayman 2 and the original Resident Evil, and Resident Evil 4 are strong contenders.
>>
>>11044102
SF2 CE: Oh people want to play last he bosses, lets release a version where they do that and we can get more money.
SF2 Turbo/Hyper: Kids are playing this fast unauthorized hack of SF and we're losing money, let's make an official version so people can play a fast version of SF2.
SFTNC: Instead of a new game let's just add a few more characters and call it a day, this will be our final edition of SF.
SSF2T: There's still demand for a faster version, let's tweak this version and see what people think. Oh no they aren't buying it anymore.
I don't consider HD Remix or Ultra as part of the same milking, they're clearly nostalgic cash ins but they're milking a different era as rereleases not the original manufacturing run.
And other games might've beaten them in milking and perhaps some older arcade titles like Pac-Man might've had many ports but I think SF2 set the tone on what you could do going forward.
>>
>>11044102
Final Fantasy 1 and 4, and Dragon's Quest 1 through 3.
>>
>>11045892
Yeah. Champion Edition was a new style CPS1 PCB, but you could upgrade from CE to HF with just a few EPROMs. Granted I'm sure Capcom charged way more for those EPROMs than the cost of parts, but presumably several hundreds less than what they charged for a full PCB.
>>
>>11045059
It makes a lot of sense when you put it that way.
>>
>>11044102
Chun Li is ready to FUK
>>
>>11046303
I think it was pretty much done by Turbo, never liked SSF2.
>>
>>11045892
>Moving to CPS2 really killed their potential install base.
>I didn't even see a CPS2 cabinet until X-Men vs Street Fighter / Alpha 2. Meanwhile in the 90's I could throw a stick anywhere in town and hit a Hyper Fighting cabinet.

Where the fuck did you live?
>>
>>11044176
Madden maybe, Mario obviously not.
>>
>>11044380
Guitar Hero was only ever going to be a fad. Milking it as hard as possible was the right move.
>>
>>11045776
Whats even the point of sports games? You can play sports irl and just pretend you are the people/team you like. Only sports vidya that makes sense are the wrestling/fighting types and the racing games.
>>
>>11044102
you had to be there in the 90s, Street fighter 2 was Doom and Sonic popular tier.

A cultural phenomenon.
>>
>>11045876
They also overproduced the fuck out of PS2 copies of Guitar Hero Aerosmith, so even though it was only released three months before World Tour, it looked like it had been rotting on shelves for years.
>>
>>11045205
Not retro
>>
>>11044102
Resident Evil 4
>>
File: 1000041704.jpg (15 KB, 259x263)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>11050237
>going outside to play sports
>>
>>11050237
What's the point in playing first person shooters when you can just get a gun and go shoot people irl?
>>
>>11045854
I wasn’t asking why you’re a virgin after 30 years, anon
>>
>>11044102
Resident Evil 4
Rayman (especially on PC)
Rayman 2
>>
>>11044102
Resident Evil 4
>>
>>11044102
Madden.
>>
>>11051637
Region locked. Only works on NTSC-U.
>>
>>11044102
Did they ever create a "young single girl" costume for Chun Li in any game?
>>
File: 1699941157367474.gif (607 KB, 300x169)
607 KB
607 KB GIF
>>
>>11052069
Kek, nice.
>>
File: EVCfQO4XQAU1chx.jpg (81 KB, 736x709)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>11050237
I get why someone who's not into sports would think this way, but when you put yourself in the place of a sports fan, or just like sports a little, it becomes clear why they're appealing. Can I play sports outside? Yes, but I need to call my friends and make sure we're all available so we have at least 5 or 6 players on each side, we'll get tired and even in pain since we're out of shape, etc...

Also, it'll never be more than that, a fun match between friends I can play once every couple of weeks, maybe I want to play now? What if I'm in injured now? I'm just scratching the surface...

In a video game, I can take my local club, which will likely never win anything in real life, to all of the major titles I've ever dreamed of. I can be a professional player, something I never did in real life... I can be a famous coach like the one I like or even admire as I feel like a tactical genius, I can win things like the World Cup... video games just open up a whole new realm of fantasy to it all.
>>
>>11044102
>At last my quest is over, my father avenged and his spirit knows peace.
>Time to become a party slut!
Man SF2 was just a different time.
>>
it's more like
>SF2
>SF2:CE
>SF2 Turbo
>SSF2
>Super Turbo
>Turbo Revival
>Hyper SF2 Anniversary Edition
>HD Remix
>Ultra SF2
>>
File: images (1) (2).jpg (30 KB, 462x663)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>11052095
Yes. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.
>>
>>11053060
Fair enough. They aren't my cup of tea since I do like the fantastical elements of most vidya, but to each his own. That sounds like a reasonable reason to go play sports vidya all things considered.

>>11053416
>You have to play that dead, shitty game in order to look at Chun-Li in her cutest costume
Kek, what a bitch
>>
>>11046006
You know I used to crack jokes with my friends at school long long ago about how many freaking versions of Street Fighter II that there were.
>someone should make Street Fighter II Unreal Engine 5 edition just for lols.
>>
>>11044380
>>11044397
>>11049185
I'm convinced activision did it on purpose because harmonix left them and did rock band and made a superior product. Knowing activision they probably told harmonix it would never work and harmonix told them to fuck off, and in response activision killed the whole thing just to spite them. Given how they handled infinity ward after MW was a hit in spite of their predictions, it wouldn't surprise me. Activision of modern days reminds me of Atari in early 80s when they had a real narcissism problem.
>>
>>11053416
Eh, that's ok, but it would be cuter if she had the yellow tank top, cut-off jeans and hair flowing.

>>11053421
>You have to play game to look at Chun-Li in her cutest costume
You could play any of the alpha games for that.
>>
Maybe Pokemon Gen 1 and 2
>>
>>11053818
That's her casual costume in the original World Warrior ending.
>>
>>11044176
Sports games by their nature are like this. Mario was separate games, they're only like at 2, maybe 3 remakes tops for any single game.
>>
File: Double Dragon.png (1.1 MB, 724x724)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>11044102
Double Dragon was ported to fucking everything at the height of its popularity. There are like 20 different ports of the game, with some platforms having more than one.
>>
>>11054578
I know, but I want to play with her in that costume so I can observe her in motion and from different angles whilst wearing it.
>>
>>11044102
out of all of those, is Hyper SF2 on ps2/xbox the best version?
>>
>>11044102
Tetris.
Bomberman.
Ray-man.
>>
>>11044102
SF2: WW to CE is basically a sequel. The original game had seven playable characters (Ryu and Ken are near-clones).

CE adds five new characters (Ryu and Ken are functionally different characters). That's almost double the game size. And you've also got mirror matches for even more variety.

Super was also basically a whole new game. Then if you consider the extra revisions of Turbo and Super Turbo you've got about three real different games that feel like sequels not just iterative upgrades in the form of World Warrior, Hyper Fighting, and Super Turbo.
>>
>>11045892
>Super was not a drop-in upgrade
Sir both CPS1 and CPS2 use JAMMA. it's the exact same fucking wiring standard. It quite literally is drop-in.
What you meant to say was it was not a simple EPROM upgrade, but even then it was much easier to swap a board than a bunch of ROMs.
You also have to remember one of the primary motivators to switch to the new board was rampant piracy, the Taiwanese cloned the shit out of CPS1

>>11046394
It was exactly the same except it was running at 12mhz (instead of 10), most people probably played CE & HF at a slower speed than intended since most ops probably just did ROM upgrades of 10mhz boards
>>
File: 1715452404608041.webm (1.17 MB, 360x640)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB WEBM
>>11055904
I wouldn't call ports to different platforms the same thing. OP is talking about how SF2 has 6 different versions on arcade alone:
>Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
>Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
>Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
>Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
>Super Street Fighter II Turbo
>Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
>>
>>11056448
I have no idea why people give Street Fighter II, specifically, shit for this when it's just how arcade games had to deliver update patches back in the day. There are a ton of games like Turbo Pac-man or Super Punch-out (arcade, not the SNES game) that are functionally just updates to fix balance issues and maybe add a bit of new content. Street Fighter II got a lot of them just because it was played for so long.

Dance Dance Revolution is another example. Each new "mix" was functionally just an update that added new songs and revamped the menus. The same with games like Initial D or Mushiking. In the late 00s, though, internet functionality became common enough that they could just deliver small updates online instead of having to change the title every time they added something.
>>
It was annoying going to my local arcade that never upgraded their Turbo cabinet so it still had CE by the time Super Turbo was out.

I also think the home releases should've only been 2 at the most, the original release and a super turbo one, having, that way the upgrade was more noticeable for kids who had already bought SF2, buying Turbo didn't seem like a worthwhile pick since I could instead get an entirely different game with that birthday money.
>>11056184
I mean that's subjective since they changed how the characters played slightly between releases so some prefer Super over Super Turbo and others like the Championship Edition over Turbo etc.
If you want the last release with the most improvements since you aren't an autist or nostalgic to a specific version then it's Ultra the one you want.
Hyper that you mention is actually an interesting one, that one let's you choose a character from different versions, so you can choose Guile and play as his Turbo or CE or whatever version you want and so can your opponent, now because of that the balance of the game is actually quite broken but it's a neat novelty.
>>
For me, it's Rainbow Edition
>>
>>11052069
Seethe
>>
>>11056448
The difference between WW and ST is so large that them being "different revisions of the same game" is only nominal. ST has over twice as many playable characters (not even including the old versions of characters) and is completely different from a gameplay perspective.
>>
>>11044229
Alpha Cammy would require drawing lots of new images.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.