[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: AS.jpg (7 KB, 300x168)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Anyone here bad at games
How do I even learn to enjoy games when I'm so bad
Like I'm trying to play Kirby 64 and klonoa. I rage quit Kirby 64 because I kept dying. Klonoa is hard as fuck too.
I suck ass at platformers but thats so much of what retro is. Its so frustrating. I just can't git gud. Even after playing for a long time. Like the height of my jump is a total surprise. I keep hitting the bottom of enemies and taking damage. I can't see where my jump is going. I keep getting hit. I can't see where my projectiles or weapons go either I always overshoot and undershoot.
I can't take it anymore. Its so fucking frustrating
>>
give up and play turn-based games
>>
>>11047863
how long have you been playing video games?
I've been playing since early childhood and it just comes naturally.
It's hard to enjoy a game you are bad at because inherently you are being held back from content by your own skill level.
maybe your issue is overythinking, at this point I just intuit a lot of game design, I don't think too hard, I just play.
>>
>>11047863
Just practice a lot, pay attention to what you have to do before you do it, and practice some more. Start recognizing where you're failing and making deliberate attempts to avoid it. You recognize you are hitting the bottom of enemies and taking damage, so start by avoiding that. Sometimes just pushing through can also help you develop.
>>
>>11047863
People with low intelligence will always struggle at basic tasks. Their brains are incapable of pattern recognition, adaptability, or problem-solving.
>>
>>11047863
>>
>>11047869
Ive played games since I was born its my only hobby
Its just so stressful. I'm pouring sweat when I play games and it makes my room stink I have to shower when I'm done playing games for the day
>>11047874
That doesn't really help me
>>11047867
I suck at those too. I lost mother 3
>>
>>11047863
Just use rewind/savestates anon
>>
File: shittingcomus.png (14 KB, 86x105)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
Play C/J/RPGs. they're really easy (if you're smart)
>>
Platformers are designed that way. You just have to try and try untill you do it. if you could do them flawlessly they would be very short and that how they make them longer by making them more difficult. Keep playing anon. no matter what you will someday be good at them
>>
>>11048010
Seems limiting. Are there any CJRPGs.
>>
>>11047907
Watch some longplays on sections you are stuck at to get an idea how others handle those challenges, could teach you some new tricks
>>
>>11047863
Uhhh, idk man. Sounds like coordination issues. Maybe practice hand eye coordination stuff irl. Throwing darts/knives, baseballs, footballs, etc... or juggling is great too. Also you need to disect internally the movements of a game before you slowly master then. Like take GnG, the jump is static. Once you get good at using the jump mechanic by fucking around and practicing, then you will have a much easier time dodging zombies in the beginning. This is also a coordination and reflex issue, though. So I recommend juggling 3 balls in 2 hands or 2 balls in 1 hand.
>>
File: 3989595-klonoa-gp-site.jpg (1.41 MB, 1214x933)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>11047863
Are you playing Klonoa in easy mode? Not judging if you still can't play it in easy mode, but in case you're trying to play normal I reckon it would be much less frustrating to give easy a try. Only the remaster has easy mode though, if you're emulating the original you should just use save states.
If you need motivation to see that you're improving, you can try going back to one of the first visions and play it again, (hopefully) you'll find it easier than the first time you played it. Be wary that this might not work if you played it too long ago though.

Something else that can help is, if you're playing with a controller, use the keyboard, maybe some jumps can be easier if you can use a different finger for jump and attack instead of using only your thumb for both. Or, if you're already using a keyboard, maybe it's the controller that is easier for you.
>>
File: remake.png (111 KB, 212x266)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>11047863
I tried to beat this shit in normal difficulty but no luck.
At least in the director cut version of the play station one you could use a cheat to have more bullets in the hard mode. So i only beaten the director cut version.
>>
Use your brain a tiny bit & it will trivialize 99% of games
>>
>>11047863
Getting good is a mentality, a matter of discipline and endurance.

You need to learn to
>not feel bad when you lose
Enjoy the opportunity of having to restart a few mins of the gameplay to improve yourself
>not make the same mistake twice
Disiplicine comes in here. First you need to think about the situation a little bit to assess all the possibilities at your disposal. Then you need to force yourself to play differently rather than being obstinate into something that doesn't work and hope to luck out.

Everything else, reflexes, pattern learning, will come naturally as you play. But you need this mentality first or you won't be going anywhere.
>>
>>11047863
sometimes is not you are bad is just the game is shitty kusoge just that.
>Play terminator 3
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKndP-hJ1W4
>get stuck on first level because you can't fullfill one of the requirements.
>keep playing
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SooizJFSQy0
>it was a bug in the game due to shitty gameplay.
>>
>>11047863
Do what all the other baddies do, get into jRPGs. You literally just have to press one button.
>>
File: Lwwel9q.png (277 KB, 640x427)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
You are learning how to not fail, so learn to enjoy the failures. You are practicing your ability, so learn to enjoy the practice of trial and error. Accept the act of learning through failure as part of the process and focus on the immediate moment rather than focusing on your expectations. Play not necessarily to win but for the sake of playing.
>>
File: 1707825333911906.jpg (174 KB, 900x1000)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>11047907
I'll be honest, OP... my advice would've been the same as in (>>11047874), (>>11048924) and also (>>11051140). Still, since your only response to any of these so far was one saying that it really doesn't help you... then I'll have to agree with a reply I know many might despise, (>>11047915). To me, getting good is part of the fun, losing and then finally winning is nice, but that's just me...

I think it's best if you enjoy yourself and finish a video game, even if it's by cheating, than to just give up on a title, or the hobby altogether. Still, I think it's key to use them with moderation/rules.

In general, you'd want to avoid save scumming, so no saving for every few steps and reloading, unless you really need to, try to use unlimited lives/continues codes or saving at the start of a level, saving on every checkpoint should be the maximum you allow yourself, or else you'll just spoil the experience, you still want to actually go and play the level. Anyways, have fun, my friend.
>>
File: BEWARE I LIVE.gif (227 KB, 336x252)
227 KB
227 KB GIF
>>11052675
I'm >>11051140 and I wish to further reiterate and emphasize my last point.
>Play not necessarily to win but for the sake of playing.
Furthermore, DON'T PLAY GAMES YOU AREN'T ENJOYING. Fuck cheating in a game you're only pretending to enjoy.
>>
>>11047863
Just savescam. Some people like to replay the same level over and over again. I don't personally, apparently neither do you
>>
>>11054738
I'm enjoying savescamming hard games but I'm not enjoying not savescamming them
The difficulty is I don't have to replay the same level over and over again. I may like this cake but I don't want to eat 30 in a row. I may like this level but I don't want to play it 30 times in a row
>>
>>11054753
>some people like replaying games they enjoy
Shame and denial, case in point.
>>
>>11054757
You don't learn a skill by binging practice for hours upon hours until burnout, you won't learn anything. You learn skills by practicing for no more than 30 minutes every day.
>>
>>11047863
if you can't enjoy being bad at something, you'll never be good at anything
>>
File: 1674594190569023.jpg (95 KB, 661x611)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>11054738
I think that's a fair point, but I don't agree 100% with it. I usually avoid any forms of cheating, if I enjoy a video game then I'll often enjoy a grind, of getting better at it over time and eventually mastering it... but there are times I cheat and it makes my experience better... when? Well, have you ever played something that was close to an actually good title, but missed the mark by a bit?

I might enjoy a video game, just not fully, or at least not enough to enjoy the grind itself, but I might appreciate elements of it enough to want to play every level, so cheats/save states help.

I do agree with most of your point though and I do admit that it's rare where I cheat, it's only for a few specific titles I enjoy enough to not drop, but dislike enough to feel the need to cheat too.
>>
File: stork-culling-fledgling.png (804 KB, 1164x654)
804 KB
804 KB PNG
>>11054890
I understand that culling hurts. You should understand how you shouldn't be wasting your time on hypotheticals and actualize the things that matter in your life. Do not mistake the rush of dopamine from clearing a game as an achievement, especially not to justify cheating. If a game sucks, cut it from your life, even if it hurts. You will be better for it.
>>
>>11047863
Really? Kirby 64?
Become a game critic, sounds like you've got potential
>>
>>11047863
Practice on a consistent basis, especially for arcade games and fighting games.
Don't be ashamed to play on lower difficulties first or a tutorial if you have the option.
Try experimenting with genre-adjacent games in the game you're having trouble with, even if they seem mid or forgettable at first glance. Starting with an easier game will make it easier to adapt to the challenge and game mechanics of the game you're having trouble with.
Don't be ashamed to glance at walkthroughs and pay attention to gameplay footage to see what skilled players are doing that might have been going over your head.
>>
File: 1717296258629194.png (259 KB, 638x478)
259 KB
259 KB PNG
>>11055019
Great advice. I'll add the idea that over-practicing is actually performance, and you shouldn't perform unless you are testing your existing ability. Performance erodes your ability and you are likely to forget/ignore crucial practice details if you do not have strong fundamentals established through regular, non-strenuous practice.

I also wanted to show some appreciation for the fact there is no shame in learning from others. Allowing them to dictate how to play is a slightly different issue which I hopefully assume you aren't endorsing.
>>
>>11047876
Both of your opinions are wrong and you sound like a failure at life.
>>
>>11047863
Retro platformers generally have pretty predictable trajectories when it comes to attacking, shooting, or jumping. For some of them it takes a minute to play and get the hang of the physics. Klonoa and Kirby are some of the easier platformers and shoot be good to ease you into the genre. Like >>11048130, if you want to git gud then you need to stick with it. Even if you feel like savestates are cheating, you could use them for tricky sections as trial/error practice to just learn the game's physics.
>>11047876
You sound like a dick. No one asked.
>>
File: fj2n6MEY.jpg (314 KB, 1600x2264)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>>11054765
Takahashi recommends 1 hour each day
>>
>>11047863
Honestly, I'm happy to hear I'm not the only person who's bad at Klonoa. People keep saying it's easy, and I think they're full of shit.
>>
File: 1620942410075.jpg (99 KB, 1200x1200)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>11054917
I don't think you get what I mean and, at least to me, you're taking this a bit too seriously, it's just a matter of me cheating on purpose because I'd have more fun doing so than not doing it, or just giving up... are codes and save states cheating? I mean, yes, of course... is my playthrough legit? I don't think so... should we care about that over our fun? Not really... it can improve some titles.

I think it all comes down to the fact that it's just video games, do I think it's ideal to clarify if you cheated when discussing something? Yes, as it's quite a different experience, but still, whatever...
>>
>>11056628
If you want to play a game that has qualities you dislike, you can modify those qualities or you can play a different game with the qualities you want from the start. Be honest about what you like in a game and then play games with those qualities. That's ultimately my point, play games as they are and if you don't like a game then don't play it. What exactly do you think you're missing out on by skipping games you're not enjoying?
>>
File: 1635406324145.jpg (22 KB, 407x354)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>11047863
Hello OP, fellow retard here. I've beaten maybe 5 or 6 games in the last 30 years and half were JRPGs.
>FFXII
>DQVIII
>Tales of Symphonia
>Super Mario Bros 2
>Kirby's Adventure
>Mega Man 1
I genuinely believe that only by the grace of God can you actually beat video games. It's a sort of blessing that you are either born with (like giving a controller to a 3-year old Asian) or if God feels pity on you, maybe He grants you a temporary joy in life, or reprieve from misery rather. I think you should pray and then try again at a game. It might just... work. That's how it happens for me. Also
>>11056687
>play games as they are and if you don't like a game then don't play it
this is a problem for me because I like the music and art and stories of all kinds of games but the actual gameplay is hell on earth and makes me cry and scratch and bite myself and scream. Case in point: any Mega Man besides 1. I beat it when I was about 9 through miracle-power, but put me in front of any other MM game and I will have drawn my own blood within 20 minutes. Yet the games have the best music of almost any franchise and the coolest enemies ever. Good music can get me to play almost anything even if I hate it otherwise. Another example: Plok. It has Follins composed music but I desperately wanted to EARN the right to listen to it again, so I forced myself to make it to the boss, then the next stage, to hear it. I managed to do it with some savestates as practice, then retrying it normally a few times before my blood pressure skyrocketed, and it worked! Maybe it was a miracle from God too, or maybe the motivation of hearing cool music did it, I dont know, but I recommend creating your own pseudo-goals that don't involve finishing a game and instead working around your intellectual limitations.
>>
>I rage quit Kirby 64 because I kept dying.

grim

maybe someone can recommend an even easier platformer than kirby?
>>
>>11056751
My limitations begin and end at
>Am I having fun?
If I'm not having fun but I still want to see the art/listen to the music, I watch a playthrough without commentary. You still get to enjoy the story/music/art without having to deal with gameplay you aren't enjoying. I don't set "finish the game" as a goal at all, my goal is "survive". If I enjoy playing the game, surviving and by extension finishing the game is a natural conclusion.

I suppose it's different for people that for whatever personal reason can't stand losing. Those are the people who would benefit from not playing stressful games in the first place.
>>
>>11047863
You aren't, only a small handful here seem to actually be any good at games. Most just bragging that they beat games millions of others beat.
If you're capable of it, record your gameplay and watch it afterwards. Pay attention to where you die, that's where you need to fix your problems. It's much easier to spot your mistakes when you aren't in the middle of making them.
>>
File: 1694564046333.jpg (1.01 MB, 1918x1289)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>11056687
I get your point, and it's what I do, if I dislike a video game overall, I'll quit, if I feel like I can do something that'll make it go from not very fun to actually quite fun, maybe a code to give it infinite continues, or using save states, I'll do it as long as it's fun to do it, if it's still not fun then I'll drop it in favor of something else. All I'm arguing for is that cheating can make some video games fun.
>>
>>11058041
That's exactly my point, what's the point of playing Monopoly if you're going to ignore luxury taxes and street repairs while doubling your Go cash and adding a free parking lottery? Just play a game you actually like.
>>
>>11047863
try a type of game you're more proficient at. no one is good at everything. the concept that everyone can become the best if they apply themselves is untrue. there are some physical, cognitive, mental and social softcaps and hardcap to everything and everyone.
you might have hit the hardcap on your skill at platformers.
Have you considered Strategy Games, stuff like XCOM, either the Retro or even the reboots (avoid Chimera Squad holy shit that shit is an sectoid abortion) or maybe RTS games like Starcraft and-- well there's only Starcraft I guess. or maybe you're really good at 3rd person shooters/hack and slash games. I personally am quite good at 3rd person games. just find somethin you're good at and find a game you figure you'd have fun with and go nuts.
>>
File: 1702487498167322.gif (1.05 MB, 276x260)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB GIF
>>11058075
If everyone I'm playing with is on board to play a alternative rule set to monopoly, and we think it can be fun, then why not? What if these rules we agree on, that aren't the OG ones, make it so we have fun, it'll turn into a "game we actually like" I think... one example is, most people play UNO in a way that's very different from what the manual says, especially the "+4" cards, and they enjoy it.

I can play something else, but if something can be a lot more fun with changes, why would I not do it? I just don't get why you care so much about what others play and how they do it... it's simple.
>>
>>11058098
Rules define games. Change the rules, you're no longer playing the game. Monopoly is a game that should take no longer than an hour specifically because of rules nobody can enjoyably follow and that is why it's so famously hated, it's a shitty game with shitty rules and there are far better games. I'll gladly play Zombie Dice and I don't need to change the rules to enjoy it, just like I don't need to play a +4 on a +4 to enjoy Uno. Unwillingness to play by the rules because they're "annoying" and turning the game into an unbalanced waste of time as a result is the problem, I have enough respect for my friends to choose games that won't waste their time. If we are that motivated to waste time, there are countless ways to do so without playing games with rules we don't care about.

Play the Mad board game with two d20 and maybe you'll get what I'm on about. Funny as a joke, not fun to watch someone count around the board twice and especially not when they land on "go back to start and move the total of three rolls" again. Just to be extra clear: the Mad board game rules specifically state you are allowed to make whatever modifications or interpretations at the whim of the table. You could play with 100d20 if you really wanted.
>>
File: 1698318678250891.png (125 KB, 680x680)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>11058156
Here's the thing, just because you don't feel the need to play a +4 on a +4, to most people it's not even UNO if you *can't* do that, that's UNO for them and it's how they have fun, regardless of a rulebook saying otherwise. If we're trying to be more objective about a game's quality then sure, it's important that everyone plays by the same rules, avoid cheats or save states, for example.

However, if we're talking about a person, or a group of friends' personal and subjective time and experiences, their fun, who cares? If a new, alternative set of rules is 10x more fun, go for it!
>>
File: 1667777926912886.jpg (26 KB, 150x188)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>11058845
On the contrary, by ignoring the rules which define the game you're playing an imitation. When people insist on playing an imitation of the game rather than the game itself, those people are quite literally admitting they don't like the game unless they can ignore the rules. you just lost the game, by the way I don't need to put a +4 on a +4 to enjoy playing Uno because I'm not an insecure cheater unwilling to play Uno by the rules. I defy anyone that tried that by declaring a secret rule, if you choose to ignore the game rules that means you're choosing to play a different game, therefore you are conceding the original game and automatically lose. I could not care less if you think cheating makes the game more fun, it's like pointing at and then declaring yourself the winner for a round of RPS - "Rock, Paper, I win." What fun! The game of Rock Paper Scissors ceases to be about Rocks, Papers, or Scissors or their statistical relations whatsoever and is now The Prisoners Dilemma - trying to predict if the opponent is going to declare themselves a winner, and your only counter is to declare your opponent as the loser. But if you both declare the opponent a loser, then everyone loses. In case it's not entirely clear where I went with this concept, this game has ceased to be anything like Rock Paper Scissors except a vague similarity to the original gameplay. May as well make your own game from whole cloth if you're such a brilliant game designer!
>>
File: 1695324666598174.jpg (48 KB, 344x370)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>11059183
I think UNO is a good example as it's a game I've played lots with various friend groups before, a thing I've noticed is that often each friend group has it's own set of special rules they either made up or learned from someone else, and it's fun! If someone decides they want standard rules, or at least rules that aren't too over the top, then we play like that, it's never meant to be enforced...

If I'm playing something single-player, or with a friend group where everyone agrees with those rules... why not? I mean, if everyone involved is down for it and will have fun with it... it's fine.

I don't dislike rulebook UNO rules, and I can play them just fine, but changing things up to make it more fun isn't wrong, and doesn't affect anyone. I believe you're overthinking unimportant things.
>>
>>11047863
>I rage quit Kirby 64 because I kept dying
Use save states, nigger.
>>
File: 1363753536191.jpg (8 KB, 251x205)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>11059183
>that spoiler
You son of a bitch, I'm not even involved in this conversation. Just a passerby.
>>
>>11058075
I like Monopoly with house rules thoughsoeverbeit
>>
File: infinity.jpg (97 KB, 637x358)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>11059574
I refuse to accept you are playing Uno and my proof lies in the history of Chess.

Chess has had many forms before and after its initial digression from the Indian game of Chaturanga, a game that itself inspired other international interpretations of the game like the Japanese game of Shogi. None of the later Chess variants have any significant foothold in cultural or historical influence beyond perhaps Tri-dimensional Chess due to Star Trek, thus playing "Chess" specifically implies both parties will be following the established rules of Chess as opposed to whatever variant the players may consider valid.

Therein lies my argument: If you're changing the rules, you are playing a different game. Indicate it as such. If someone wants to make a Chess variant, it's really clear they aren't actually playing the culturally and historically established rules of Chess.

I think "Rock, Paper, Prisoner" is a great example of what it's like when someone decides to impose rules others wouldn't agree to simply by not discussing what makes a game fun and why you're playing to begin with.

>Let's play "Rock Paper Scissors"! [wants to play "Rock, Paper, Scissors"]
>>Okay! [is going to play their preferred variant of "Rock, Paper, Prisoner"]
>Rock, Paper, Scissors! [paper]
>>Rock Paper, I win! [pointing at self]
>Wut.
>>I win. Good game.

As I'm sure you would agree, it's only fair to ensure players are playing the same game before beginning the game. Therein lies the importance of indicating game variations.

If you really believe your version of a game is more fun because of your modified rules, that means it's time to rename the game. Renaming the game prevents any confused discussions of these games by preventing accidental comparisons of divergent rulesets.

You aren't playing Uno anymore. You are playing Infinidad, aka Uno Infinity.
>>
File: 71UX3Z8YVZL.jpg (202 KB, 1377x809)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>11059625
You know a game sucks when the company commodifies cheating into a legitimate ruleset
>>
>>11059675
Fischer Random
Playing with piece/time odds
>>
>>11047863
>I suck ass at platformers but thats so much of what retro is.
There is a pretty large amount of diversity in retro. RPGs and Simulation games arent that focused on difficulty and I think they are experiences worth having. Turn Based Strategy games are less based on timing and reflexes so their difficulty is through planning
>>11048132
PC Engine
>>
>>11059682
There's a reason we call it by that name rather than just Chess and it's specifically because it's a variant. It's a different game. Double Chess, Capablanca Chess, these should not be treated the same just because they all take place on a checkerboard. Checkers.
>>
>>11047863
Get a different hobby

Skateboarding and tennis are the most difficult 2 sports out of every sport I've played. No idea how people can balance on the back 2 wheels of a skateboard or do perfect flips and ollies on command

Every other sport is at least manageable and I understand it. Tennis is difficult because of how quick you need to be and baseball is tough too if it's over 80mph curveballs

Video games are easy to medium difficult compared to any of this stuff
>>
I'm not universally bad at video games but it genuinely saddens me I'm hopelessly shitty at shmups because they all have the coolest art design and music of a genre by far.
>>
File: 1553219595486.jpg (52 KB, 644x473)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>11059183
>>11058156
>>11059675
What if you're a completely incompetent, dysfunctional retard who has the anti-Midas touch? What if you're just a dumb clumsy oaf with 10 thumbs on your hand with the reaction time of a geriatric tardigrade frozen in deep space? What then? I have NOTHING going for me in life. Arts and crafts, projects, models, writing, etc it all goes to shit. There are no hobbies for me and all I care about are video games anyways yet I suck. If you have real intellectual, physical, and emotional limitations, then why does it matter to you if I use save states or look up guides or make my own rules? I appreciate your rants and argument but would you be this passionate about actual special ed kids playing sports the wrong way because of their handicap? At the end of the day, you need to realize that I'm not alone and a lot of people out there are on the left side of the Bell Curve, and you're just a weird freak muttering about integrity and definitions just because mongoloids use a Game Genie or whatever. I like reading your mutterings by the way, they kinda make sense but make me feel bad. Thanks anon.
>>11059680
The entire Monopoly concept was a cheeky nod to billionaire industrialists and robber barons, so cheating is par for the course. One could say you're the ultimate cuck for following Monopoly's rules and not trying to win at all costs.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (42 KB, 720x540)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>11059746
I never intended any impertinence so I apologize for any negative impression you may have recieved. The fact you were able to post at all means you're capable of communication and there are plenty of hobbies that don't even require that, most of which generally surround the viewing of various artforms. From what it seems to me, you are wanting to be a creative but you believe there is some bar to rise up to, there absolutely isn't. Let people shit on your work because your work is not for them, it is for you. Rock and Roll McDonald's and all that. The motivation to create should never be ignored, especially if you think your work wouldn't be accepted or respected. In my opinion that is a fantastic reason to create things, as you may have seen with my various written diatribes.

Put another way, nobody is going to mistake the Special Olympics for the Olympics. Despite their limitations, they still compete to the best of their ability and are judged on their performance as determined by the rules of each sport, and they can still enjoy themselves all the while. Tiered leagues are a good thing, it allows for skill and ability balancing.

Anyways, I hate monopoly and subtly cheat whenever I am refused from abstaining so I am consistent on that so-called standard. If a player wants to change the rules, it's because the player doesn't like the rules and would prefer to play a variant (or better yet a different game) instead.
>>
File: file.png (1.91 MB, 1920x740)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
>"you cannot do anything to change the difficulty of the game! if you can't play it as it was released by the publisher, then it means that it isn't for you and you should go play something else, but difficulty is sacred!!"
>literally the game the thread was about:
>>
File: metroid1.900x.jpg (71 KB, 900x760)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>11059798
Damn that's crazy
>>
File: Spoiler Image (54 KB, 540x405)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>11059675
See? That's what I mean with overthinking and taking it to seriously. "I refuse to accept..." why? How does this affect you to the point that you'd care and feel so bothered over other people and their fun? We both agree that alternative rules in a game should be clarified and agreed before any player uses them, and that they should also get mentioned when discussing a game too, right?

I think this obsession with a new name is just an unnecessary issue, imagine if I tell my friends "I made a new game!" and pull out chess pieces or an Uno deck, only to say "I call this game ___" or something? It just feel pretentious. No, I didn't create anything new, I just made up a new and alternative rule, if people think it's fun we'll just use it, if not then we'll scrap it... and that's all.

If I make an alternative rule and give the game a whole new name, when explaining it to others I'll just end up saying "Oh, it's just ___, but with this new rule we like to use" so why even bother to give it a new name like I invented a whole new game? Again, as long as we always clarify these rules to players involved, and when discussing it online, just like with cheats/save states, it's fine.
>>
>>11047863
Use save states not as a crutch but as a tool. Repeat stuff you have trouble with until you can do it repeatedly and consistently. Eventually you'll just be good at games.

Its the same as literally any other skill. Repeat the things you're bad at until you can do them easily.
>>
>>11047863
you're switching games too often instead of gaming less every day but sticking with a single game at a time. I get it, there's so much access, but if you didn't matter these genres as a kid you can only master one game at a time.

when you get really good at one game you will find you develop the patience and enjoyment that will help you get good at other games faster. and your overall coordination will improve.

what will not help is constantly rage quitting and trying something else, across different genres, controllers, etc
>>
>>11047863
I don't know if this is good advice, but Kirby 64 isn't one of the easier Kirby games. I'd recommend Dreamland 1, or even Squeak Squad
>>11048865 might also be helpful.
>>
>>11047863
you have bad pattern recognition genetics. its over.
>>
>>11047863
>>11047863
>>11047863

If you genuinely struggle at something like Ninja Gaiden Black, then you are a middle-of-the-road videogame player, but if you are struggling with Kirby 64, then videogames legit might not actually be for you at all and I'm old as shit now, so I can genuinely say- switch hobbies for the love of god.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.