[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dunelegacy.png (1.76 MB, 1600x900)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
Recently came across this fan port of the Battle for Arrakis game. I dunno why I hadn't heard of it before I've been trying to find a way to play this in windows 10 for ages (and the play online sites are garbage filled with bugs). Anyway is it true that this game was the first RTS game?
>>
>>11049165
What do you mean with first RTS game?
Almost every real-time game involves strategy of some kind. There was however no game with the exact gameplay of Dune 2 before Dune 2.
>>
>>11049165
>Anyway is it true that this game was the first RTS game?
No, but it's the first one that plays like the RTS games that we are familiar with. Starcraft is basically Dune 2 but with worker drones and and additional resource.
>>
>>11049235
Shouldve been clearer but yeah basically what this anon says >>11049236
So basically it predates AoE, SC, WC and others.
>>
>>11049165
Dishonest. Computer games are conceptually incompatible with Dune.
>>
>>11049259
Still it was a good game and introduced me to the dune books and films.
>>
>>11049259
>playing doom on my mentat
>"you encounter a cyberdemon, sir. it spots you and starts shooting rockets in your direction."
>'circle strafe and empty my plasma gun into it.'
>"very good, sir. the cyberdemon has been vanquished and you proceed further into hell."
>>
>>11049165
There are older examples, like Herzog Zwei.
Dune TBFA was still the main source of inspiration for Warcraft, Command and Conquer, StarCraft...
>>
File: 1716778155337549.jpg (90 KB, 1200x654)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>11049313
>>
>>11049348
Herzog doesn't play like any RTS game. The genre is defined by the games that wrote the book on it (Dune 2, C&C, Warcraft).
>>
>>11049364
Herzog Zwei is still a RTS game where you must capture bases, build troops and transport them to specific places both for defensive and offensive. Both me and my friend played Herzog before Dune II and we instantly identified them as members of the same genre.
Metroid is considered a Metroidvania despite most Metroidvanias actually taking inspiration from Castlevania SOTN. It's the same case.
>>
>>11049415
How can Metroid be a Metroidvania if it doesn't have Castlevania elements?
>>
>>11049235
You knew what OP meant, you dense motherfucker.
>>
>>11049259
Thinking machines are haram but they obviously still have computers.
>>
>>11049415
I also played Herzog Zwei and Dune 2 as a kid and I always thought Herzog was its own unique thing while Dune 2 was the one that spawned "clones" like Warcraft. Sure, it's an important milestone, but I can't see it as an RTS
>>
>>11049348
HZ is more like a specific execution of the typical rts pattern, it’s like an effect preceding its cause. C&C modeled the more generic pattern, the HZ derivatives like supreme commander kept going in their direction.
>>
>>11049364
>>11052165
>>11052168
Dune II is at the very least influenced by HZ
>employee Graeme Devine (who later founded Trilobyte) introduced to everyone at the Virgin office a real-time strategy game on the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive console called Herzog Zwei (1989). Clarke-Willson described it as a game where the player "kept clicking on stuff and then zooming off to another part of the screen. It was very hard to keep track of what was going on as an observer. Still, everyone liked it, it had fast action, and it was a strategy game".
>According to Clarke-Willson, "Westwood agreed to make a resource strategy game based on Dune, and agreed to look at Herzog Zwei for design ideas"
>>
Herzog Zwei is Real Time Tactics rather than Real Time Strategy. It doesn't have basebuilding or resource gathering via units and refineries, which are two major tenants of RTS. HZ focuses entirely on capturing structures and managing units, as well as controlling a hero unit of your own. It's later equivalent would be something like World In Conflict and MOBAs.
>>
>>11049165
You can see every single core element of what would be the RTS genre in Dune 2. Every major RTS is essentially a Dune 2 clone in the sense someone from the early '90s would say that, more so than you could say every FPS was a Wolfenstein 3D clone or Doom clone. So yeah it was the first RTS game.
>>
>>11049313
holy kek
>>
Second to last mission was really hard as atreides, the last is probably gonna be impossible.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (163 KB, 1026x801)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
I play the Dune Dynasty port, it was abandoned for years but taken up by a new dev recently. Pretty much the original game with much-appreciated QoL improvements. And added skirmish.

https://github.com/gameflorist/dunedynasty
>>
>>11053957
>And added skirmish
Ohhh very nice, will look into this one
>>
>>11049259
This movie is no longer canon. Lynch fags lost
>>
File: kagami2.jpg (33 KB, 314x379)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>11053983
>caring about canonicity status
>>
>>11049364
I don't see much reason to mention C&C and Warcraft, they're just Dune 2 with more developed interfaces and iterative changes.
>>
>>11053957
Actually this is interesting; there seem to be loads of fan ports of Dune 2 with various improvements now, anyone got a summary/recommendations of which to go for?
>>
>>11054372
>there seem to be loads of fan ports of Dune 2 with various improvements
It angers me that I've been looking for these for ages and I've never heard of them before.
>>
>>11053983
It never was. The Dune "canon" is the six novels.
>>
>>11049165
One thing that I think the game really dropped the ball is having to put concrete slabs, like everybody making an RTS game after that went, yeah this is kinda retarded and didn't implement it.
>>
>>11053956
missile turret wall until the initial rush relents. keep a spare mcv in case of c.yard geting death handed. sonic tank spam is ridiculously op
>>
>>11054372
Super Dune 2 was popular back in the day, had the factions replaced with Sardaukar/Fremen/Merc.
>>
>>11054838
Okay used this strategy and it was a breeze. Maybe I'll try the custom freemen campaign later.
>>
>>11049415
how are you derailing to metroid , in a dune 2 thread fuck off retard.
>>
>>11054148
your retarded right? cnc and warcraft are more relevent to the thread than hz.
>>
>>11054662
theyre to stop the sandworms eating your base. theyre thematically necessary.
>>
>>11054148
Don't be reductionist. That's like saying Doom didn't matter just because Catacombs 3D exists.
>>
>>11058128
>theyre to stop the sandworms eating your base
The sandworms can't move in rock already (and you can't build in the dunes). The slabs are irrelevant.
>>
>>11058670
>The sandworms can't move in rock already
This.

Still, I think there are two uses for them.
One is to prevent you from building anywhere on your rock island as you have to keep buildings adjacent : slabs allow you to have gaps in your base (kinda like how Warcraft kept this idea as roads)

The other is how buildings spawn at half durability when placed on bare rock, and it's cheaper to have them on slabs than repairing. So maybe the trade-off of faster build or saving credits was deemed relevant.
>>
>>11054662
Warcraft I has roads. By the way, overall Warcraft 1 is a worse game than Dune 2. It is only good if you want "dune 2 but fantasy".
>>
>>11059453
It's just not an interesting mechanic, having to either constantly worry about building damage or suffer the boredom of building slabs.
Same shit with the concrete slabs in Tiberian Sun - if you don't build them before building your bases, enemy explosives will create craters on the ground and basically leave you stuck with no places to build anything on. It's terrible.
>>
>>11053957
>duned y nasty

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.