[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mbxh0ygcjt131.png (342 KB, 956x1726)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
Since the CotM thread will poop, i wanna open discussion about how bad most GBA games because of nintendo's stupidity, and really it wasn't just the fact that the screen of the 1st GBA model didnt have backlit, it was because Nintendo switched from the screen used on the GBC to a much worse one to save profit, thats was why, but some devs like the Konami team that made CotM didnt got the memo that Nintendo cheapen the screen, and we all know what happened.
>>
>Nintendo console cheapens out with shit hardware and all the games on it suffer as a result
You don't say. Not enjoying that "withered technology"?
>>
The thing about the GBA screen in direct light and the front lit SP screen is that the colors still look a lot darker then any backlight screen. I played a color patched SMW rom on my AGS-001 and it looked way too dark compared to the original game.
OP's picture is convenient because it really shows the difference between the SNES ports and the source material, original games don't really have that. So whenever you are playing them on a AGS-101 / DS / IPS screen mod or on any emulator with a back lit display, it is important to remember, the devs envisioned a darker color pallet for their game and what you are seeing is not what was intended. Except CotM of course. Also the Aladdin port has the original colors in the options menu.
>>
File: khgba.png (105 KB, 480x960)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>11050772
there is the AGS-101, but that one has the opposite effect.

I play GBA on Wii and most of the games look, well they look better then on the Game Boy Player cause mGBA can do 240p and scale properly, but most of the games looked washed out as shit.

And even when some later gba games included an option for different bright settings, the darker one just looks like a de-bright, desaturated murky version of the lighter palette, not even like SNES or PS1 colors would look like.

The only exceptions are Doom on GBA which OG colors are the exact as as the PC version but by default they appear 3x brighter, and you can even make it look even bright for playin in the original GBA.

the games might be good, but they sure are a sore to look at.
>>
File: gbacolors+custom.png (340 KB, 1440x960)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>11050772
And even so, the GBA and GBC color corrections are basically, average, all it does is make it decolorized, specially the GBA correction, and these are without the grid and patterns of the actual screens,

in the CotM someone posted examples of how bad the actual GBA screens looked replicated trough RA shaders.

This is a little example of mine i made

Top Left - GBA default palette
Top Right - GBA color corrector Filter
Bottom Left - GBC color corrector Filter
Bottom Right - Custom color correction
>>
There is a recolor of Wario Land 4 now.
>>
to me most gba games look good on an emulator
Except ports
But why would I play those?
>>
>>11050748
This is fundamentally an emulation issue. If you're emulating without accurate color reproduction, then you're doing it wrong. The same applies to the GBC.
>>
>>11051065
"accurate colors" look reddish
>>
>>11051065
didnt you read the post, color correction actually doesnt help the games at all, look at these. >>11050805
>>
>>11050805
top right looks closest to what i remember on hardware, and generally looks the best of these four
>>
File: KHgba example 2x.png (702 KB, 1472x2000)
702 KB
702 KB PNG
>>
File: Feels_good_man.jpg (16 KB, 303x328)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Not only I like the GBA colours, but I play the games blown up with sharp pixels on my 24"OLED screen

and after a teenagehoood of not being able to see shit and twisting the GBA in every direction to try and find some light, let me tell you that it feels good and not a single fuck was given to these recolour mods
>>
>>11050748
why would someone even patch ports? just play the original.
>>
>>11051223
And none of these look like a AGS-101 lol
>>
>>11050748
>I want a garbage shitpost thread because I'm incapable of having fun
Interesting, please kill yourself.
>>
>>11051421
Oh yeah, how it looks like then?
>>
>>11051338
>When junnies wanna shit n ruin a thread
>>
>>11051360
But the original doesn’t have floaty Luigi jumps that make all 10 coins burst out of a 10 block at once
>>
>>11051551
The Switch Onlime ROMs of some of the GBA games (the nintendo ones anyways) have their colors fixed, but i only ever tested Mario Advance 4 (SMB3)
>>
>>11051556
I think that’s just sma4 always had a function to correct its colors if it detected it was on a game boy player
>>
>>11051338
>>11051451

As soon as these two jerkoffs defecated here it went to shit.
>>
Is the original GBA screen really that much worse than the GBC? I always thought the GBC was pretty middle of the road, the NGPC and WSC are both better. Most of the complaints about the GBA seem to stem from the fucked color that makes GBC games look like absolute shit on the GBA, so they're an unfair comparison.
>>
File: 1719217608307143.png (313 KB, 720x1440)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>11052651
>Is the original GBA screen really that much worse than the GBC?

YES.
>>
>>11050748
There is no reason to play these shitty ports
>>
File: 1719217608307143bleached.png (1.48 MB, 1440x2880)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>11052658
>>11052651
This is what CotM would have looked like if the bleachin was applied to the main graphics, as you can see, didnt really helped much, YES it was THAT BAD, it was not worth sacrificing the look of these games to satisfy nintendo's fetish for bottlenecking their hardware.
>>
>>11052658
>>11052674
These images are completely meaningless. Why would you think I would even want to see random emulator screenshots?
>>
>>11052676
Are they cause you say so? why dont you be mor e productive and contribute counterexamples?
>>
>>11050748
I hated the OG GBA screen then, I hate it now, I hate Nintendo for making a screen inferior to a GB or GBC screen in 2001. It's also crazy how in 1990 both Game Gear and Lynx had a backlight, but Nintendo's 2001 GBA didn't, instead it had this awful screen you could barely see, but hey, it's cheap and takes less batteries, that makes it good, right? No, it's garbage and it always was.

Thankfully we got the GBA SP in 2003 and DS in 2004, much better ways to play the GBA's library. No, I'm not counting the Micro, because it's small and only gay hipsters with small hands like that.
>>
>>11052939
Aside from the obvious bait post, Mario Advance got already bleached out and yet its BARELY visible on that screen, yea it was that bad,
>>
>>11053065
It's not bait, I'm just upset and exaggerated a bit on my post, but my feelings are all genuine, even if they're nothing but my subjective experiences.
>>
File: img_3659-scaled.jpg (432 KB, 2560x1920)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
>>11053080
here's a better example, Mario Kart on GBA, again, game already bleached out, still looked like shit on that screen
>>
not like it's news to anyone here but this guy openly admitted he spams anti-GBA threads because of the rule change and is 100% posting disingenuously
>>
>>11053092
>not like it's news to anyone here but this guy openly admitted he spams anti-GBA threads because of the rule change and is 100% posting disingenuously

You are full of shit and just trying to start fights, also i dont recall seeing that many anti GBA threads dogwhistler.
>>
>>11052939
>>11053085
Coming from the original GB and GBC, the GBA's screen was fine. I had a GameGear too, but the games sucked just as much as the battery life. If the GBA had a backlight, it would've ended up with the same fate.
>>
File: file.png (1.55 MB, 960x960)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
>>11053085
People forget just how bad the original GBA screen was. There was a big market for shit like pic related strictly because of it.
And the SP wouldn't have been such a big deal if the original screen wasn't borderline unusable.
>>
>>11053129
I remember my cousin having a GBA months after it came out and playing CotM, and man i can assure, it really was THAT dark, but then later he got Golden Sun and he actually had one of those amplifier lamp things for the GBA, didnt helped that much even when the games were already brighten up.
>>
This threads just come and go.
>>
>>11052939
You could barely see the Gamegear screen. Source: I've actually played one.
>>
>>11050748
Left is best
>>11050787
Top is best
>>11050805
Top left is best
>>11051223
16-bit normal is best
>>11052658
>>11052674
Top is best
>>
>>11054886
Didnt the GameGeae screen had backlit?
>>
>>11055012
>Contrarian
>Contrarian
>Shitposter
>Only legit one
>Retarded
>>
>>11055469
Yes, but it had major ghosting and was very dim.
Not like the GBA screen is amazingly better or anything.
>>
File: gamegear.jpg (30 KB, 746x835)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>11055469
Not a particularly fancy one though, it's basically just a fluorescent tube, it doesn't even light particularly evenly and is what kills the battery so fast.
>>
>>11055469
It was closer to how front lit screens looked even though the light was behind the screen
>>
>>11055559
These days you can get an LED backlight that looks a bit nicer. The problem is that the CCFL has yellowed the diffusers on most of the newer models which had a better LCD, and 99% of the discussion you can find is absolute retards putting in IPS slop.

To date, it doesn't seem like there's any good GG screen replacement, so you're stuck with the ghosting unless you want to switch to a glorified phone screen with a retarded resolution.
>>
>>11054886
Yes, but that was 1990, GBA was 2001.
>>
I think people were to shitty on this subject, not OP tough he jist show his point
>>
>>11050760
> Not enjoying that "withered technology"?
Where do you think we are? We are here BECAUSE we like “withered technology”
>>
>>11058441
>We are here BECAUSE we like “withered technology”
I'm here because I liked it better when talented developers made awesome games for cutting-edge technology without it being poisoned by woke ideology, microtransactions, or movie game shit. Better technology allowed for better games, especially back then, and Nintendo's consistently shit technology held everyone back.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.