[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.08 MB, 1200x998)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
What went so right?
>>
You mean just PSX or that version with a shitty LCD screen specifically?
>>
>>11051678
the LCD was based for its size anon.
>>
>>11051679
People shit on the LCD screen so much I'm convinced that most people never actually had the official one and just had some crappy 3rd party ripoff. Even by today's standards it's a perfectly fine LCD. Shit was better than the fucking PSP's LCD.
>>
Being able to play Monsters Inc. without power/AV cables or a controller connected was a game-changer
>>
Anyway, if you mean PSX in general… It came at the right place, at the right time. 3rd parties were sick of Nintendo's draconian monopolistic policies. Sony offered them great conditions, literally unseen before. After Square switched to PS, many Japanese devs followers followed suit, and Western devs weren't far behind. PS quickly became THE 3rd party platform, at a time when many studios had great potential. They made some of their most influential games for the PlayStation, and the rest was history. Namco ported their great 3D arcades, Square finally got a break with FF in the West, Gran Turismo revolutionized racing games, literally who Hideous Co-jimmer made MGS, this little studio Naughty Dog made Crash and Insomniac made Spyro… It was many small miracles out of seemingly nowhere that were waiting to happen, happened, and sold truckloads of copies.
People today think that "games didn't age well" and stuff. The thing is, no one cared what critics said, and PS made it big because it brought new people to games. It was pretty much PS that showed that consoles weren't only for pre school children and platformers. It brought people 14 and older, racing fans, sports fans, and so on. It hit it big in Europe that never liked Nintendo to begin with. It automatically won in Japan because of FF+DQ. Even in US, Nintendo only held due to old fans and Goldeneye. Nintendo was cursed to remain last as Japan wanted JRPGs, and the West wanted dude bro games. Today this may not be the case, but back then they got a run for their money that they couldn't recover from for 20 years.
>>
>>11051710
anything is better than psp, anon
>>
>>11051747
Nintendo also brought in people 14 and older, and Nintendo also had Rare during the N64 era.
>>
File: file.png (2.03 MB, 1161x872)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB PNG
>>11051710
It's an extremely good LCD. It's a shame they can fail. The panel has an upscaler built in that line doubles the output from the PS1. Similar to the Waka.

As for the success of the PSOne, it was a budget console with a massive established library. I believe they retargeted it towards kids and many late releases of popular licensed movies (and they were releases of reasonable quality) as well as an inherited older library from older siblings, many budget limited edition re-releases all while being the cheapest console on the scene. If you were new to gaming the PSOne may have been the best value in the early 2000s.
>>
>>11051674
Nothing you saw them later in stores when the hype wuz gone like dem ps5
>>
>>11051674
>No link cable
It's shit
>>
>>11051821
How so? It did this with Goldeneye, maybe. Rest of Rare was, surprise, platformers with googly eyes. The moment Nintendo lost Goldeneye, they lost everyone who didn't come for Mario & Zelda. GC clearly never brought anyone and lost 40% of the N64 install base in US. RE hardly mattered as it looked out of place on GC. All while PS2 was hitting sales records with GTA, and MS sold Xbox with one game. Also, N64 sold about as many units in US as SNES, slightly less actually, so not sure who it "brought".
N64 was quality over quantity; PS was pretty much the opposite. It didn't have anything quite on the level of SM64/OOT/007; but instead it had hundreds good games in many different genres, ones that N64 never had. Diversity of appeal was key here. There was something for everyone, from Silent Hill to Crash to Tony Hawk to Spyro to Metal Gear Solid to FF to RE to Tekken to Gran Turismo. From preschool to rated R, from platformers to gay jarpig to footy and horror.
>>
>>11051674
Is there a repair guide for this if my hinges broke underneath?
>>
File: psone monsters inc.jpg (55 KB, 720x539)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>11051674
videogames, price and its design, I mean:

harry potter 1
harry potter 2
monster INC
WRC arcade
F1 arcade
>>
File: psx psone packs (3).jpg (20 KB, 500x442)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
both psx models original and psone got great marketing strategies and bundles.
>>
File: psx psone packs (2).jpg (51 KB, 500x384)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>
File: psx psone packs (1).jpg (44 KB, 640x480)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>
File: psone packs bundle (1).jpg (439 KB, 1920x1920)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
Italia and France got nice bundles too.
>>
File: psone packs bundle (5).jpg (424 KB, 1920x1920)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
>>
>>11051674
I used to find portable media players so cool when I was a kid but having a smartphone made the magic of it vanish now that I'm used to it. If I had one of these as a kid I would've relished the whimsy
>>
>>11051674
Tons of those screens were destroyed to make portable consoles mods.
>>
>>11051678
That LCD was quite good for the time. I'm sorry you didn't get to experience that because you weren't born until LCDs were already being replaced by OLEDs.
>>
>>11051678
He means the Monsters, Inc. shovelware (his favorite game as a toddler) in that pic.
>>
>>11051904
Turok 1 was a major game release for them in the early days, at least. They seemed to have started leaning into the kids direction around 1999 (Perfect Dark a year later being an exception).
>>
File: $_57.jpg (84 KB, 1400x1400)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>11051674
>It came out in 1994, so 2 years before the N64, meaning it only had to compete with the Saturn for quite some time, and it beat it comfortably.

>It went with CDs, which Sony owned, so it was cheap for them and for developers, also easier for them to program for as they had much more space to work with, less compression to do too.

>SEGA completely dropped the ball with Saturn by making it more expensive and worse in most regards for consumers, stores and developers.

>1996 came along with N64 being 2 years late for the party, but it had good titles, though that was the year where Crash came along as a good response to Super Mario 64, while SEGA failed to make any 3D Sonic for the Saturn in 1996 at all.

>It's controller was essentially a SNES controller with handles, and then with analog sticks, it's a simple design choice, but it worked and was so easy and familiar for people right away aswell.

>Memory Cards, as ridiculous and bad as they might seem now, were the better solution for the time and also allowed Sony to make even more money and profit back then, so it was yet another good move from them in every way.

>Being cheap and easy to develop for, and using CDs, meant the PS1 had tons of 3rd party stuff, so if you liked a genre, any genre or niche, it had a title on PS1, actually it probably had multiple, while N64, thanks to the cartridges and coming out so much later, suffered from the opposite, relying mostly on Nintendo's 1st party titles.
>>
>>11051678
Just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean it's shitty you stupid child molester.
>>
>>11051928
>Is there a repair guide for this if my hinges broke underneath?
Anyone?
>>
>>11054498
Did you look for yourself first? This board isn't huge on jewgling shit for lazy people.
>>
>>11051832
>As for the success of the PSOne, it was a budget console with a massive established library. I believe they retargeted it towards kids and many late releases of popular licensed movies (and they were releases of reasonable quality) as well as an inherited older library from older siblings, many budget limited edition re-releases all while being the cheapest console on the scene. If you were new to gaming the PSOne may have been the best value in the early 2000s.
Perfect summary.
>>
>>11054534
I wish my parents got me a psone instead of a gamecube.....
>>
File: file.png (117 KB, 225x218)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>11054534
My proof is this, a 2002 game sold so well it got a greatest hits reissue in 2003. Also Harry Potter Sorcerer's Stone is the same deal.
>>
the psone was for zoomers or poor people
ps2 was already out
>>
>>11054873
PSOne was for girls, with the lid and the cute carry bag it was the same price as a PS2.
>>
>>11051679
>>11051678
Yeah and certainly MUCH better then the GBA screen
>>
>>11052082
Hipsters and Autismo are deadly diseases.
>>
>>11055446
>butwhatabout the GBA angry diversion
Please don't tell me you were using the PSOne as a handheld alternative.
>>
File: 64.png (963 KB, 800x680)
963 KB
963 KB PNG
>>11054534
>>11054849
it was beautiful
>>
>>11055509
No i dont gore stuff
>>
>>11055398
ill give it credit it WAS cute
>>
>>11051678
>PSX tard calls PS One PSX as well
Are you trying to be retarded for comedic purposes
>>
>>11054849
>Harry Potter
also the second harry potter game in 2002/2003 got pretty popular.
>>
>>11056083
Did you get treatment for your autism?
>>
I got a PSOne if anyone wants to buy one. the opening button is kinda wonky otherwise its fine
>>
>>11051710
>trying to play Tomb Raider on that small screen
NOPE.

Also the PSP was awesome.

>>11051747
The PS1 was originally sold under the gimmick of "arcade-quality games for your home," and it absolutely delivered when comparing the arcade machines of 1995. BUT they were short, and you could blow through most of them in 30 minutes to an hour. That didn't really change until games like Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy VII started to see how far they could take things.

The PS1's 700 Mb disc capacity against the SNES's 6 Mb and the N64's 64 Mb capacity was a no-brainer in an industry that had just begun to open up into 3-D gaming envinroments. Plus the CDs were much cheaper than multi-component cartridges. That means higher profit margins for both Sony and anyone who releases games for the PS1. The format was so cheap to produce that for the first time ever they could give away demo games for free just like the PCs had just begun doing using the same CD format.

>this little studio Naughty Dog made Crash and Insomniac made Spyro
Sony saw the potential, and gave them the money to go into the business of making games. Naughty Dog exists because of Sony's faith in them. Look at Naughty Dog now: ultra-leftist company more interested in TV shows, constantly stabs Sony in the back for Microsoft, and isn't interested in getting to work on the Sony-owned properties like Uncharted any time soon.

And the guy who runs ND now is a slimy piece of shit who has already ran out the people who started the company.
>>
>>11051747
>Nintendo was cursed to remain last as Japan wanted JRPGs
Nintendo delivered them. It's just that thanks to the limited cart capacity, the PS1 ones were massively bigger with significantly more to them.
>>
>>11055510
Those are really good games and pretty solidl for 2001-2003 releases.
>>
>>11051710
I managed a store back in the day when they first came out. They sold like crazy because guys were buying them and installing the screens in their cars.
>>
>>11051678
>>11051710
Can you guys cool it with the cussing? This isn't /v/ you're not impressing anyone with your potty mouth.
>>
>>11059448
Bitch, is this some kind of fucking Christian server or some shit?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.