[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mariofire.gif (16 KB, 500x500)
16 KB
16 KB GIF
When Mario is powered up and gets hit, should he return to small Mario, or retain his Super form?
>>
yeah
>>
File: US.png (29 KB, 653x237)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>11053987
Why did they do it?
>>
>>11053987
Neither.
He should get knocked back and loose all his coins instead.
>>
>>11054012
In case you're actually asking: because an easier game potentially secures a broader audience.
>>
>>11054032
Then why is the US version of Castlevania 3 and the Resident Evil trilogy harder in the US?
>>
>>11054035
they thought that cute family friendly games like Mario should be easier than hardcore mature games, it makes perfect sense
>>
>>11054035
Because the executive "creative" choices that make for these localization tweaks come from different mindsets, and have different goals even when considering two similar products, which is not the case there. Mario was an obvious candidate for a game that needed to go for broad appeal; Castlevania was interpreted as working better for older audiences, so the potential to alienate younger audiences was lesser, and the challenge could also be thought as a plus by that same criterion. I'm not saying these are good or even properly rational decisions, but condescension is a big element at play in any sort of marketing analysis.
>>
>>11054086
Castlevania 3 and Shadow Warriors 3 were nerfed for the Japanese audience. It's pretty clear that those two games had the superior versions in the West (disregarding the OST change for CV3), whilst atrocities like Dynamite Headdy ended up the way they did because of lolcowlisers
>>
>>11053987
The correct answer is to have a pit spawn behind Mario as he gets hit by the object and knocks him back.
>>
>>11054035
Because Japs hate the idea of renting out games. I'm serious, too. Renting games is illegal in Japan. Japanese publishers made their US port harder to discourage people from renting their games and beating them in a weekend.
>>
Shrinking from highest level to lowest level makes sense when there's only 1 highest level powerup (the flower). This rewards the player for playing well.
When there's multiple highest level powerups though, it might make sense to have a middle state so that you can better control what powerup the player has access to in a situation.
>>
>>11053987
He should return to small mario. powerups should be focused on the power, the utility to circumvent danger or get more resources. a second extra hit state completely overshadows the ability, too boringly effective.
>>
>>11053987
They should havr both as a normal difficulty and a hard difficulty. Ideal solution imo
>>
I like how in SMW a flower or feather will give small mario the full power up instead of just super mario.

fucking criminal how they butchered the GBA port though, with a flower/feather in the item hold it takes 5 hits to kill mario
>>
>>11054480
I mean, so did some US developers. There were plenty of US-developed games that were made super hard specifically to prevent kids from renting it, beating it in a weekend and then never buying it.
>>
>>11053987
Best one is the superb all (not depicted)
>>
ok guys, i actually worked in the gaming industry in the late 80s, so i can actually give you truth to the scenario
nah fuck off
>>
>>11054486
This. Super Mario felt like the power up in Mario 3 while the suits all felt like options for Super Mario to wear.
>>
>>11054549
>nintendo
>adding options to enhance the experience
you're right but that will never happen
>>
>>11053987
SMB1 Fire Mario looks like he was in the sun with his overalls, his skin got sunburnt and he took his clothes off, the yellow pixel is his nipple
>>
File: smbfiremario.png (95 KB, 584x301)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>11055256
>>
>>11054012
because you purchased instead of voting with your wallet
>>
>>11055256
>>11055297
can't see it
>>
He should always become small again, anything else is casualisation.
>>
If Mario were hardcore, he would instant die even if he's Super
>>
>>11053987
neither. The game should end, and code should execute that destroys the rom so now you have to purchase a new cart to continue. that way all the normies get filtered and stop playing games unless they can afford to get good like in the arcades.

BEEP BOOP: I AM A BOT THAT TRIES TO EMULATE THE POSTIUNG STYLE OF A /vr/ USER. IF THIS POST SOUNDEED LIKE A /vr/ USER THAN PLEASE GIVE ME A (you)
>>
>>11054035
Because of rentals. Mario didn't have that issue because it sells well anyway and Nintendo knows Americans are retarded.
>>
>>11058369
(you)
>>
>>11054480
>>11058429
>rentoids with delusions of importance again
You owned nothing and it's plain to see you are not happy.
>>
>>11054012
This eventually became the standard worldwide when 2D Mario games relaunched (not /vr/, I know).

Anyway, does damage in the Game Boy games (SML/2) work the original way in their Japanese versions?
>>
>>11053987
Depends on what the stage design is like
But I gotta say mario 3 being easier outside Japan was a big mistake
>>
>>11053987
They should get rid of the in between state completely. Mario should be either small or big with a powerup.
>>
File: 1688739000476716.jpg (7 KB, 228x250)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Some enemies should do 1 damage and some should do 2 damage
>>
>>11059910
>mario would be better without the super mushroom
the absolute state of /vr/
>>
>>11054020
*Rings.
Sonic is the one who loses coins, retard. I'm glad they fixed this in Origins correctly displaying Coins. Took them over 30 fucking years
>>
>>11053987
neither, he should get even more powerful
>>
>>11053987

Mario's SML2 sprite looks better than his SMW sprite.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.