[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Comix_Zone_Coverart.png (153 KB, 220x312)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
Very cool game, it's a shame that it's so short. I feel that it could have really used a sequel with more levels, more branching paths, more items and puzzles and more polished combat mechanics. The concept was really good but they've barely scratched the surface.
>>
File: tebeoarea.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
It is nice, but yeah speaking from experience all you need is a weekend rental to get everything you'll ever get out of it.

It's a great concept though; one of those rare examples that make you go "they should try this again with modern technology".

Still, the Genesis' farty sound hardware is PERFECT for the sort of grunge "inspired" sound they went with for the soundtrack lmao
>>
>>11054189
The enemies are a bit healthy. Otherwise good, yeah.
>>
>>11054189
STI got tied up in Sonic X-treme after this game and the rest is history.
They even patented the comic presentation and by the time the patent expired, comics have already fallen off.
>>
>>11054189
>>11054202
If we're talking about a modern sequel I think the guys who did SoR4 would be a perfect fit stylistically.
>>
Objectively, is this the most 90s game ever made?
>>
How can a game be short when it kicks your ass repeatedly and you still ask for more?
>>
As a kid I never knew of the "press punch for 3 seconds to launch a screen clearing paper plane" move. That game is awesome, but holy shit was it hard. You really had to use the rat to find hidden items and know how to use some objects to avoid getting hurt. Even hitting enemies drains life, it's insane.
>>
>>11056203
>Even hitting enemies drains life, it's insane.
Pretty sure it doesn't
>>
>>11056223
He's probably thinking of punching crates lowering health.
>>
Isn't one of the problems with this game that most people think its just a beat em up and play it as such, and fail horribly as a result.
>>
File: old.gif (1.19 MB, 500x341)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB GIF
>>11056203
There's platforming, there's beat 'em up action and there's puzzle solving all mixed together in CZ. It's a genre mix, so people tend to have problems with their preconceptions in that regard when it comes to this game, though it's not particularly hard. As already pointed out >>11056223 >>11056246, punching enemies does NOT drain life using normal attacks, but using certain special moves does; some times those special moves spurt out if you are simply button mashing, so that may be the problem there.

Removing obstacles by hitting them does drain health obviously, but with enough experience of where you can get what item, there's usually always a way around having to do that. It's not a long game (6 levels, with each having two alternate routes), so figuring out the smoothest way through for you doesn't take that many tries.
>>
>>11056246
Honestly that's just bad game design. Why is the game punishing me for breaking crates, it should be rewarding me with bonuses inside them instead. There's push and pull to those things, you punish the player, then you reward him, and you don't take his health while you're doing it
>>
>>11056535
Well, let's call it a poor attempt at designing the game you for some reason believe you're playing, and politely ignore your own poor attempt at playing the game they actually made.
>>
>>11056535
>it should be rewarding me with bonuses inside them instead

It does. And you can use Roadkill to uncover helpful items along the way, if you know where to use him. That's a good game design.

You're not a "superhero" type of guy after all (unless you fill up super hero meter), you're a normal dude trapped inside a comic by a villain who is sadistically torturing him. It's not just average road to victory, it's a battle of wits.
>>
>>11056535
The idea of players should be able to rationally approach the game and produce a flawless run on their first try is a recent invention.
Yes, punching crates is a trial and error thing. But now you know what's in the crate and what puzzle/fight it solves. In the next run you can leave the crate and see the fight in full, and in later runs you can evaluate whether or not the HP price is worth skipping the fight.
Comix Zone is like 20 minutes long. You can get through all the permutations of choices in the time it takes to beat a modern RPG.
>>
This game is really cool but it also seems like a proof of concept meant to be a part of compilations than an independent game. Maybe it's just bias of that being how I've experienced/learned about it, but it's almost hard to see it as an independent cartridge. I do like how the game itself feels like it was a small project not unlike some comic put together by an indie artist
>>
>>11054189
I hate this game. A desperate attempt by SEGA to squeeze a few more dollars out of the Genesis in its last days. Same with Vectorman 2. The last days of the Genesis were ugly.
>>
>>11056804
I don't care for Vectormanor other western Genesis games like Kid Chameleon, but Comix Zone is good.
>>
>>11055082
this or Skitchin
>>
File: kinamania.gif (3.73 MB, 320x240)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB GIF
>>11054189
>Very cool game, it's a shame that it's so short.
I personally find that, for very difficult titles like this one, a short length actually helps and stops it from being even more frustrating, it's better.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.