[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Metroid2_boxart.jpg (92 KB, 256x258)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Pretty meh game. Sure, the controls, look and general feel are a gigantic step towards Super Metroid, but the design fails in every other aspect. I can understand going for a more linear progression since the game is on handheld and needs to be ready to pick up and play without too much hassle (Fusion will too follow that logic), but the main objective of hunting down metroids is no fun because the fights are bad. Spam missiles while the monster float in your general direction. And who the fuck thought that shooting sand to open a path was a fun mechanic? It even respawns the moment it exists the screen for added tedium. And they even had the nerve to make you fight a few of the metroids immersed in sand. The combination of big player sprite + even more gigantic rooms means that you'll spend a lot of time space jumping around mostly empty environments or sloooooooooooooowly crawling over walls with the spider ball, and that's just tedious. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to make most of the refill stations hidden despite the fact that without enough missiles you literally cannot progress, and that means farming, which also sucks in this game because only a few enemies drop missiles and you might have to backtrack considerably to find them. Speaking of which, a lot of the game is just empty. Long pointless corridors with nothing in it. And the OST? There are like 3 actual songs, with the rest being meaningless blips and blops. If they were going for something eerie and atmospheric they failed hard.
>>
>>11055215
ive only played metriod, and metriod fusion, and a lil bit of prime. hows this one compared to the original?
>>
>>11055225
It plays better and closer to Super, but in practice it's still less interesting since it's a linear game. So you just have a below average shooter with some light exploration.
>>
one of the first games I've ever played. I cannot recommend it to anyone, it's trash.
>>
>>11055215
Loved it but it was a very thrilling and scary game for me because I was 11 or something.
>>
>>11055225
I like Metroid II quite a lot.
It's not strictly linear like anon says. It's a series of areas you progress through linearly, but each area is a large space to explore.

>>11055414
It's still spooky
>>
Links Awakening and metroid 2 are the pinnacle of their series
>>
>>11055467
Neither are but LA is miles better than this.
>>
>>11055215
they shilled this game pretty hard on tv when it first came out, i remember the commercials had some deep voiced guy that was probably a voice changer , the music is probably the best part of the game
>>
This is one of the best game boy games
>>
>>11055524
Shut the fuck up man you're just dead wrong
>>
>>11055215
If it had an in-game map it'd be fine. Very easy to get lost without one.
>>
>>11055697
Get good retarded zoomer
>>
>>11055215
>with the rest being meaningless blips and blops. If they were going for something eerie and atmospheric they failed hard.
Holy filtered
>>
>>11055407
It was meh on the original GB however it was much more playable on the Super GB, almost too easy.
>>
>>11055215
This is the first time I've seen in 30 years someone complain about the sand.
Or the lack of refill stations.I've never had a problem running out of things. I don't have the map committed to memory or anything either, but whenever I replay it it doesn't take to long to get the gist of things.
>>
Ice beam is OP in this game.
>>
>good game is actually... bad! here's why *proceeds to list a bunch of midwit "video game design is my passion" opinions that ultimately outs him as having gotten filtered*
It's all so boring
>>
>areas all blend together so you have to make a map to avoid getting lost
>map is non euclidean so you can't even make an accurate map
game has some pretty nice gameplay and atmosphere though
>>
>>11055927
It isn't a good game. GB can have good games like Mario Land and Kirby, this isn't one of them
>>
>>11055989
Metroid II is a very good game though.
>>
>>11055215
Just play one of the remakes
>>
>>11055697
the game is extremely linear and you're always exploring small areas at a time, it doesn't need a map
>>
>>11055215
I love this game but the gameboy screen definitely made it feel cramped.
>>
>>11056907
They didn't have to make the sprites so big. What's funny is that this is the Super Mario Land team, infamous for his tiny Mario sprite.
>>
>>11056907
That was actually a smart use of the limitations of the system to enhance the aesthetic. Unironically based choice.
>>
File: 1713464348474.jpg (100 KB, 640x800)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
Time for another entry in the space log...
S R 3 88 niggaz shootin' at us while we tryna navigate! Space gunz so big we can blast through the ribcage! Think before you test us it'll seal ya fate.
>>
>>11055215
Had this game as a kid. Could never finish it. I got stuck not knowing where to go or what to look for.
>>
>>11055215
I love the 8 bit alien music and how much fun you can cram in a few kilobytes.
>>
>>11058375
The bird people labyrinth filtered the fuck out of me.
>>
The game isn't great but it has sparks of genius here and there. My favorite is the dark room you fall into where you literally can't see shit, and the only way to see if you're even moving anywhere is using the morphball bombs as a sort of breadcrumbs trail. That's a really clever usage of a staple powerup that has never been attempted again as far as I know. Also more "cinematic" moments like seeing the metroid counter spike back up right at the finishing line or seeing the baby metroid's egg before encountering the queen.
>>
>>11059097
this game is great for the reasons you stated additionally just doing something different. loved how metroid 2 and super felt . then we got prime morph ball playgrounds and now fans are insufferable
>>
Fusion is so much better it isn't even funny lol
>>
>>11055225
It's like what you'd expect super metroid to be like if it had a female gameboy port. In other words it is a bridge in quality and game design between nestroid and super.
>>
set your expectations accordingly OP, it was an early game boy game, like 2 years after it had been out and the only other game in the franchise was the original which is a mess in its own right. If you had played it in 1991 you would've been blown away that such a game could be achievable on a handheld. If you want to play it now without having to make compromises for hardware limitations just play the 3DS Remake.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.