[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ff7 mods.png (121 KB, 741x633)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
I want to play the OG FF7 on PC and got recommended these mods by a friend.

I want to play mostly in the original setting but with some higher fidelity and QOL changes.

Am I good to go? Or are there any recommendations on NOT using a certain mod or adding a must-have mod not in the list.
>>
FF7 is not a game in need of any QoL fixes, wtf is your friend smoking? I'm not even a purist, I love mods and there's several games I'd never play unmodded, but FF7??
>>
Definitely one that has PS1 soundfonts, general MIDI for that OST is straight ass
>>
>>11055813
I'll thourougly check what the mods he suggested does and then make a decision from there if I want to add it or not then. Thank you for your input.

>>11055882
I'll look into this. Thank you.
>>
FF7 doesn't need mods, that's stupid. Play the original, and I mean in Japanese
>>
>>11055805
As far as FF7 goes you shouldn't be touching any balance changes, QoL is subjective and I don't think you need any. Textures and FPS stuff is a whatever and entirely personal preference.
I will say if you are playing OG PC release I hope you have a good soundcard or some way of emulating one because otherwise it will sound like ass.
>>
>>11056021
日本語を分かりませんよ。

>>11056029
I would be playing the Steam version.
>>
>>11055805
Get Postscriptthree's Gameplay Tweaks for a few adjustments. Enable No Battle Music, it has a big impact on the overall atmosphere of the game.
>>
>>11055882
Fake news. The PC soundtrack is absolutely fine if you have the right setup to properly reproduce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ibqCOVKsg&t=1289s

The only reason people think it's bad is because of the Steam version, but that was down to Squenix being lazy shitheads as usual and providing pre-recorded versions of the PC tracks butchered by the default Windows soundfont. Apparently it was too much effort to properly record them using an XG-compliant setup, which is what they were designed for. The original physical PC release even came with a Yamaha software synthesizer on the installation disc.
>>
>>11056372
> Fake news.
no it isn't lol
> butchered by the default Windows soundfont
Yes that was my point dipsnot. If you don't set it up properly it sounds like absolute ass. The video you have there is a professional caliber MIDI playback device, like Yamahas version of the Roland Soundcanvas. that is NOT what this game will sound like out of the box lol.
I suggested the PS1 soundfont because why wouldn't i?
>>
>>11056372
shit a duck, that's an improvement
>>
>>11055805
Fuck you
>>
>>11056372
that sounds way off compared to the PS1.
sounds like high quality garbage
>>
>>11056372
that cosmo canyon lol
>>
>>11056352
>Enable No Battle Music, it has a big impact on the overall atmosphere of the game.
I was skeptical about this but oh my god you are absolutely right.
>>
>>11058769
>>11056352
How does no battle music work? Does it just keep playing whatever track is playing when the battle starts? What about the victory theme?
>>
>>11058779
Any non-scripted encounter keeps the field theme playing and skips the victory music, like how it is in the intro and the bomb escape.
>>
>>11058781
I'll keep it in mind for the next time I play FF7. I've always found FF7's battle theme to be one of the weakest in the series, especially in comparison to how good it's boss theme is.

Do boss fights count as scripted and still play Those Who Fight Further?
>>
>>11059105
No, the battle music is good, but continuing to hear that theme, again and again, during the grinding period can cause you to hate it.
>>
>>11055813
Nta, but the spirit and magicc defense fix are nice. It'd also be cool to see a hack with harder enemies on disc 2 by region, then again on disc 3.
>>
>>11059764
If you want harder enemies then stay clear of the magic defense fix
>>
what was that translation with some bible reference or something regarding cait sith
>>
>>11060705
Beacause, complete fanfiction. Apparently Final Proofread 7 is good but it's only for the Playstation version.
>>
Forget all that tranny shit and just play the original NTSC PS1 release on Duckstation.
>>
>>11056495
The Playstation version samples a Roland Soundcanvas. They would sound identical, except that it will always sound better on Playstation because the PC version is missing channels for no reason.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.