[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Yoshis_story_box.jpg (41 KB, 620x430)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
So let me get this straight, the "correct" way to play this game is to do a melon only run, and this means constantly sniffing around to find the pixel perfect spot where to ground pound for the melon? That sounds like fucking cancer honestly.
>>
It's a very comfy game. You don't have to play it if you don't want to.
Westerners hated it, I think because it's too cute. Japan liked it a lot.
I still think if this exact same game was a different original IP and on PS1 or Saturn instead, it would be considered a hidden gem 2D platformer from the 5th gen, but being a Yoshi game, a sequel to Yoshi's Island no less, it had no chance in the west. Again at least Japan likes it.
>>
>>11056486
>So let me get this straight, the "correct" way to play this game is to do a melon only run
According to the hardcore nintendo fans here who don't play arcade games yeah. The game isn't very fun so I don't know why anyone would bother to do this, especially if it's more than once.

>>11056491
>Japan liked it a lot.
I've only ever seen people imply this based on sales numbers, no actual quotes, interviews or even just random japanese tweets or some shit
>>
>>11056491
>>11056552
https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/149.html

Japan thought it was mediocre (it’s not bad, but it’s undeniably poorly made, etc.), and everything on this page is 100% true.
>>
>>11056486
No, it's just an extra challenge mode for people who want to squeeze more gameplay out of the game. Just finishing the game normally is how it's meant to be played.
It's an easy game but a fun one, why does Kirby get a pass for having piss easy gameplay and Yoshi's Story get killed for it.
I'm guessing because of the expectations that Yoshi's Island had already set on the SNES so people just santed that a Yoshi's Island 64. But if you take a look at it as its own thing, it's likely the second best Yoshi game second only to the original.
>>
Miyamoto designed a prototype 'virtual nose' controller but they could never get the artificial smell packs to work or pass the FDA. Instead of smelling like fruit they would reek of foot and burnt plastic. Most of the play testers got sick.
>>
>>11056705
Kek, that would actually explain a lot
>>
>>11056694
Even considering all the sequels Story is still the worst of second worst ( to be fair I didn't play New Island, but I heard it sucks). Crafted World could even be viewed as Story but done right.
>>
File: 199386_14044_front[1].jpg (159 KB, 640x875)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>11056584
Worst art I've ever seen in my life
>>
It's hard to believe that this game was made by Nintendo EAD and not some outsource studio. It's so bad.
>>
They only needed this to be a hard platformer, instead of the fruit shit
>>
File: 1692108618856265.gif (1.49 MB, 780x834)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>11056491
>>
File: 25percent.gif (2.78 MB, 496x376)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB GIF
>>11056486
>Only doing the melon run
You've only played 25% of this game
>>
>>11056486
>this means constantly sniffing around to find the pixel perfect spot where to ground pound for the melon
A lot of people don't realize this, but you really just have to hold the sniff button as you play the game and Yoshi will automatically alert you when there's one nearby. Then you just need to learn how many steps Yoshi takes between the alert and the ground pound spot.
>>
It's an actual toddler game. I know that Nintendo makes games for children, but this is one of the rare instances where there is just no appeal for an older audience as well. Getting mad at a game made for 4 years old because you can get anything out of it is silly.
>>
>>11056552
>even just random japanese tweets or some shit
This is actually how I learned that Yoshi's Story was popular in Japan, way more than in the west at least. Some time ago there was a tweet trend of listing your fav N64 games in jp twt and a lot of them listed YS, also Kirby 64, both games that are kind of ignored in the west for being too cute/kiddie
>>
I liked Yoshi story but yes it was very easy. I enjoyed the music and the atmosphere of it.
>>
>11056491
Can you stop pretending to be a weeb already? You keep posting this shit. As it's been said Japan also hated it.
>>
>>11060360
>As it's been said Japan also hated it.
false
>>
>>11061297
Nah he's right. Quit being like this
>>
>>11061309
>speaking in 3rd person

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.