[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Been curious about this one for years given it's somewhat of a Nintendo classic in Japan and yet seemingly unknown over here even for Famicom game standards. Finally beat the translation last night and was wondering if anyone here's played it as well. I have basically zero experience with more traditional adventure titles of this sort so I admit my frame of reference is pretty limited, but I really enjoyed it. The inputs can be extremely clunky and obtuse at times, but I sort of expected that coming in frankly, and everything else is really great. Even if you don't want to play the game I highly recommend checking out Kondo's soundtrack.
>>
Isn't the translation only playable on emulators via real time Lua patching?
>>
>>11059196
Yeah, it only works with scripts on either FCEUX or older versions of Mesen. As far as I'm aware it's because the game's text being written in vertical Japanese and it being an FDS game make an English rom hack an absolute nightmare. I think it works pretty well, only problems I found were that if you try any fuckery with rewinding or saving it shits itself, but restarting it is very easy so that's pretty minor.
>>
>>11057275
Always have been curious about this one, didn't know it had a translation
>>11059196
Oh....lame
>>
>>11059278
Forgot pic
>>
Interesting, I didn't know it had a translation and I wanted to check it out
>>
File: KirbyPenisCummer.png (610 KB, 776x667)
610 KB
610 KB PNG
>>11059279
never had melee so I didn't know they had a trophy lol. I think I first learned about Onigashima from playing Dreamland 3, Donbe and Hikari really stand out because they just ripped the sprites from the original game.

>>11059346
oh yeah, in case anybody's actually interested here's the link: https://github.com/sudgy/nintendo_translations . Heavily recommend reading the section on the page specifically about Onigashima before playing the game, it will save you a lot of trouble. Also, if you don't want to read all the fairytales (a couple will help puzzles make sense but they are mostly just passively referenced) at the very least read Urashima Taro, because the game's overarching plot is incomprehensible if you don't know that story.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.