[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Maxresdefault_(4).jpg (735 KB, 1425x1407)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
How do I get good at shoot-em-ups? I really like this game but I get smoked (2-3CC) even on difficulty 2. How the fuck are you supposed to react quickly enough? I'm pretty good at video games in general too.
>>
>>11057938
>react
heh
>>
>>11057938
Ever play guitar hero? At first the notes are flying at you at what seems like hyper speed and you fumble around until you fail the song.
But slowly you learn the notes, the rhythm, and all of the techniques that make it easier to pull off. Next thing you know, you can complete the song.

Shmups are like guitar hero. You find a song (game) you like and practice it until you can complete it. Once you complete it, you decide if you want to move on to the next song, stay on your current one or work on the full combo (1CC).

Ultimately it’s just practice. There’s no secret technique. Just keep at it, and if you hit a wall, move on to the next game.
>>
File: waifu_flat_chest_4.jpg (475 KB, 1792x640)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>>11057938
Psikyo games are insanity, I wouldn't recommend them for beginners no matter how based Gunbird might be
>>
Play them repeatedly. What's with zoomers not understanding "practice makes perfect"?
>>
>>11057938
u gotta shoot the badguys
>>
>>11057938
you play the games, memorize where and when the bad guys appear, and you place yourself ahead of time to kill them
for bosses you just remember the rhythm of their patterns, it's generally always the same.
when there is one part which you really struggle with, you use a bomb
shmups are one of the easiest genre once you understand this
>>
File: 849_1.png (20 KB, 240x320)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>11058283
>Ever play Guitar Hero?
Yes, I can still regularly FC songs in Rock Band on Expert.

>>11058318
I'm in my 30s.

>>11058291
Do you have any good alternatives? I found the Japanese STG difficulty rankings and even the lowest ranking game (Fire Barrel/Air Assault) kicked my ass.
>>
>>11058291
Yes they are. I have been going at Gunbird 2 for a bit now and I am only now just getting to the point of making it to stage 1-3 on the regular(I refuse to use continues). By all accounts the ass whopping I am receiving should have me walking away from this whole shmup thing but I finding myself just going deeper down the rabbit hole.
>>
File: crackship.jpg (187 KB, 1280x720)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>11057938
Idk, this probably doesn't compute for some at /vr/ but a couple credits sounds pretty good. 1CC'ing isn't really what these games are for, as much as some may want to rationalize their investment to "master" them. They're an available incidental challenge, but certainly not what they were designed for specifically.

I've only really mastered flawless runs in a couple of Arcade games like Metal Slug, and simply because I liked them well enough to play them enough to naturally manage it, not because I made a point of it; in others I consider myself "good" simply if I can maybe clear them with a handful of quarters.

In short: if you can't have fun or get satisfaction out of playing a game unless you do perfect runs, maybe you're not playing the type of games you should play.
>>
>>11058756
>a couple credits sounds pretty good. 1CC'ing isn't really what these games are for, as much as some may want to rationalize their investment to "master" them
That's true. Thanks for that outlook. I guess I just feel like I suck. In the modern day we've been gradually conditioned to think you need to 100% things first try, and sometimes I get stuck in that when playing older titles.
>>
>>11058735
>>11058745
The standard recommendation for beginners is DoDonPachi, but I personally recommend Deathsmiles. On standard settings it is easy but there is a huge difficulty ramp up on the last stage.

Cave shooters, on Xbox 360 but some are on Steam, have novice modes that are perfect for this.

My real answer is Espgaluda 2 by Cave but it's not on PC. Once you credit feed a playthrough, you will unlock Omake mode. It's not a novice mode but it is the most piss easy mode that Cave has probably ever done.

https://shmups.wiki/library/Espgaluda_II#Omake
>>
Are the Gunbird Switch ports as terrible as the internet says they are (re: input lag)?
>>
>>11058735
>I'm in my 30s.
Not an excuse, I'm in my 30s too, don't act like there's a cheat to "getting good". Presumably you've been playing games since you were a kid, why is a secret to you now that getting good at a game (or anything) is to do it repeatedly?
>>
>>11058996
Because Sonic 2, Viewtiful Joe, Rock Band, Halo, Doom, etc. didn't seem impossible on the easiesr difficulty.

I wasn't using it as an excuse. Read the post I replied to.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.