[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Rockman_X.jpg (935 KB, 1269x2317)
935 KB
935 KB JPG
Do the X games get any better? I like the setup and characters, but gameplay/level design-wise this game is pure trash compared to the original series.
I'm also aware this might sound like bait, but it isn't. I can't seem to find any useful opinions on this because I have yet to find anyone that agrees.
>>
>>11059514
X games all have less structured levels than the Classic series had. If you didn't like the first X, you sure as shit are going to hate the rest.
>>
People will quibble, but X2 and X3 are more of the same (and great imo). X4 is a bit differently styled with more strongly "themed" levels with more gimmicks, but if you don't like X1 you won't like the rest.
>>
>>11059514
Try MMZ2 next.
>>
What is your complaint about it? Megaman X is an action game, not a platformer. That's why it exists as a separate series to begin with.
>>
>>11059514
Nobody's going to admit this because MMX is one of those "golden child" SNES games that no one is allowed to critique, but yes, there are much better ones, try X4 on the PlayStation.
>>
>>11059623
What a brave statement on /vr/.
>>
>>11059514
Play the Xtreme games on GBC
>>
>>11059628
It'll be deleted within the hour, I'm sure.
>>
>>11059637
SNES seethers are so persecuted.
>>
>>11059623
No. The real truth is the X series travels in a very sharp downwards trajectory in quality after the first game.
>>
>>11059623
so give us your MMX critique
>>
>>11059514
X1 is the best in the series, so if you're not fan of this then don't even bother with the rest. X2 is the same quality as X1. X3 has rough design choices, but it gets better with replays. X4 is overrated boring safe shit. X5 to X7 are irredeemable then X8 gets good again. Overall Classic just shits on X with the exception of 2 or 3 games that are of equal high quality. Almost everytime X tried to innovate on gameplay it backfired somehow.
>>
>>11059551
lol genre autists are ridiculous.
>>
File: 1719789014689.gif (362 KB, 220x140)
362 KB
362 KB GIF
>>11059514
>Do the X games get any better?
>>
>>11059514
Yeah they do but the later entries are an acquired taste but once you acquire damn shit is great, nothing like knowing how to break X6 in half
X1 is the one I replay the least actually
>>
>>11059629
Too few buttons
>>
>>11059514
>but gameplay/level design-wise this game is pure trash compared to the original series
Oh nevermind you just dont even understand the basic appeal of the series
You need to stop comparing it to classic megaman because they play nothing alike, zooming through the stages its extremely fun knowing when to dash and how to kill enemies in one hit with special weapons to go faster thats the appeal, X games are like good sonic games once you understand them.
If all you do is slowly walk forward charging your buster to kill anything then yeah no wonder the corridor design will bore you, its a game that you have to push to the limit because there is where the fun lies
>>
I can't stand the original megaman series. it's like someone purposefully tried to make all the worst mechanics and levels and put them in one game.
>>
>>11059705
I guess any FPS where you can jump over gaps is a platformer
>>
>>11059663
It's alright but it's far below 16-bit standards. This was the same generation that had gunners such as Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Contra: Hard Corps, and Metal Slug, and by those standards, Mega Man X feels stuck in the trappings of the previous generation, with small sprites, not very many simultaneous enemies, poor AIs, and small, unimpressive bosses. It's not a bad game, but to claim it is "best" anything is a wild exaggeration. I suspect most of it's reputation is solely down to the fact that it's on the SNES.
>>
File: Really bitch.jpg (80 KB, 600x1210)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>11059514
>because I have yet to find anyone that agrees.
And you won't.
>>
Ya'll postin' in a stealth consolewars thread.
>>
File: 1710558760171367.jpg (284 KB, 695x1021)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>11059514
I like how this guy gets to be bigger and more center on the box art than the robot masters
You'd think he's one of the main characters along with X, Zero, and Sigma

Anyway the X series is literally the peak of action platform design you'll get it eventually
That's why everybody keeps trying to make X fangames even if they rarely get finished
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK50tJxsUQY
>>
>>11059928
He also appears in some of the earliest screenshots of the game, so I assume he was one of their earlier enemy designs. Either he used to play a more significant role in the game beyond being an optional sideboss, or his early creation endeared him enough to the devs that they wanted to give him a prominent position in the official key art.
>>
>>11059514
If you didn't like X1, sell your gaming library to someone with taste and go play minecraft on your phone for the rest of your life.
>>
>>11059913
>I suspect most of it's reputation is solely down to the fact that it's on the SNES
I wasn't even alive for the Genesis vs Nintendo console wars, and first played MMX via the PS2 collection, and I think MMX is one of the greatest games ever made.
>>
>>11059913
Impressive you'd make this embarrassing post again after being so BTFO last time.
>>
File: 1712807862838273.jpg (23 KB, 250x285)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>11059938
My headcanon is that he is somehow connected to Auto from MM7
It would make sense if he was originally planned to play a similar role in MMX and then they eventually used that idea later in 7
>>
>>11059623
It will never work, osto.
>>
>>11059623
X4's level design is even worse. You can brute force through most of it with little consequence.
>>
>>11060063
It's built more for action rather than platforming, which was not great in any of the X games
>>
>>11059549
I've played and beaten all of Zero, and I love it. Going back to X is weird, it's like Zero minus to me. Looking at other people saying Mega Man X is more of an action game, I think that makes perfect sense with regards to my complaints about it VS classic, but honestly Zero 1 just feels way better to play and has way better levels and bosses in general for me.
>>11059551
>bosses aren't very fun for the most part, they're extremely tedious buster-only (which is my preferred way of playing since otherwise they're a joke)
>game is very easy in general, didn't really have a moment where I had any issues
>the upgrades that make the sluggish segments of certain stages tolerable are missables and I didn't get them until after I beat the game and went to go find them just to see what they did
>even then, rushing through and killing shit isn't very engaging, I can see some potential for timed runs though if they ever existed
>>11059629
I'll try this out of sheer curiosity.
>>11059732
I mean, you don't slowly walk forward in the classic games and half of them don't even have a charged buster. I think classic is still pretty much an action platformer and therefore comparable to some degree, but I get that X is different. Another thing is that only a few segments in X ever actually pressure you to dash through, you're hardly ever pushed into that direction.
>>
Mega Man VII is the best game in the franchise.
>>
>>11060180
You are not entirely wrong.
In the top 5 for me, 3rd place.
>>
>>11059730
Anon...
>>
The X games should never have had a story, any dialogue in them should have just been in bleeps and bloops that was never translated for the player.
>>
>>11059514
If you prefer the original series, you might not like any of the X games, but X5-X6 are pretty different in design from the predecessors and I find myself preferring what they do, even though it's unappealing to many people. X2 is generally viewed more fondly than those and takes some detours from X1 in design; I find it to be more fun and replayable than X1, but it's still similar to it in some ways so it might not be a good recommendation in this case.
>>
>>11059928
He just looks like a very generic mook to me.
>>
>>11059514
>AI upscale of a fucking Megaman box
No hope.
>>
>>11060497
interesting how ai use has gotten so widespread that old AI upscaled pics look hideous now, i used to handwave the AI artifacts but now they ruin the image
>>
>>11060504
Honestly old fashioned resampling of resized jpegs looks so much better than this.
>>
>>11059514
the X series (or as I call it, 10/times, because it's 10x better) is playable and fun, where's the original games are boring and monotonous
>>
>>11059814
HMM, no, I think I would call an FPS an FPS. Dumb hypothetical.
>>
>>11059514
X8 and to a lesser extent X6 are probably the X games for you. They're the ones that most heavily focus on actual platforming challenges and tactics.
>>
>>11060753
then shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>11060773
Lol ok. So what about the X games make them no longer platformers in your retard brain? Are any of the original series not platformers? Is Megaman 7 an action game?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.