[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Sorry, i mistyped SOUL. its simply better that carmack was capable at the time with potato powered computers and im tired of contrarian retro purists wanting to stick with original versions.
What are vr opinion on refinements of old games? also tried HL ray traced and its cool but i had to pay for it to work so i just tested it 1:30 hs and refunded it on steam
>>
>>11068442
yes i got a 300 dollars gpu today and the only thing i played are remakes or remastered versions of old games
>>
>>11068447
>tfw 300 bucks is literally entry level GPU price now
You might as well stick with old games at this point
>>
>>11068442
The original versions objectively look better. Modern graphics are nothing but Vaseline smears.
>>
>>11068442
Quake 2 wasn't that good to begin with. FPS graphics age like milk, didn't help that the original was grey tech base or more like a crate warehouse.
The issue with most remakes is that they're pointless. What you want to remake is flawed games to make them better. But they only remake big successful games instead. Those are good because they were made by good devs who had good vision. It's all about A teams showcasing talent in everything, from game design to art, often involving big names.
But then they remake those with B grade teams on shoestring budget, going for cheap soulless modern assets akin to mobile games, ruining half the ideas in the process, and just missing the mark altogether. It's like playing a clone game at this point.
Remakes absolutely can be good, but the way things work, they rarely are. Good remakes are the ones like DQ where they clearly put effort in and didn't outsource those to some shovelware studio.
>>
>>11068447
a regrettable turn of events indeed... but it's not just the games' fault. ray tracing turned out to be a bit of a meme itself
>>
>>11068531

In most cases absolutely.
It's often painful how some people see tasteless additions as an improvement.
>>
>>11068442
Original models and textures with updated lighting usually looks good imo. It adds to the original product without changing the original design.
It seems like it’s only when you start changing the models and textures that it detracts from the original game, without providing any real benefit.

As long as they don’t take it way too far like modern AAA shooters do to the point where some areas are impossible to see people in, then multiplayer is fine with updated lighting as well.
>>
>>11068442
it looks off because it wasn't designed to be lit like that
>>
>>11068442
>>11068447
Im trans btw if that matters.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.