[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: nintendo-gba-family.jpg (26 KB, 1000x500)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
The great debate
>>
>>11098828
>shitty dark ass screen even for unlit screen standards
>no headphone jack, flat shitty feeling buttons, tiny ass shoulder buttons
>comically small in both screen and form factor
they all have big issues, but base model is fixable with a screen swap mod, so that's my pick
i guess micro could be best for people who don't mind the tiny screen and have hands that actually fit it, but i'm certainly not one of them
>>
>>11098828
there is no debate. its impossible to get a gameboy micro, and the last gameboy advance and SP that are functioning, have been modded so much that they no longer are original hardware just buy an aliexpress miyoo for 30$
>>
the SP us such an elegant, timeless design, I get that it can feel cramped but it's not an issue for me. seeing. A GBA cart in it just looks so pleasant and right.
The GBA is more comfortable but not significantly more. The shape is iconic but kinda dated. It feels like a kid's toy, which it is, but if form factor is a thing there's more comfortable ways to play GBA games these days. I do like the big shoulder buttons on it though.
Micro is a meme
>>
>>11098828
I pulled out my old Gameboy Advance SP for old time's sake and was shocked at how shit the screen looked completely washed out, no saturation. I though maybe they degrade with age or something but no that's just how they looked. I put the game in my DS and it looked much better and richer. Crazy how good things look as a kid.
>>
File: 1717779085648154.jpg (53 KB, 640x640)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>11098828
No such thing, the Micro has no backwards compatibility and it's so small that it'll give anyone without baby sized hands real carpal tunnel, while the OG GBA has a screen that's absolute garbage today and that was also a genuine piece of shit back then too. GBA SP obviously has issues, but its screen actually works, and its shape protects said screen too.

Of course, nowadays anyone should just use an emulation handheld or their smartphones, if all you're interested in is playing the ROMs, but if you want the authentic experience? GBA SP it is.
>>
>>11098869
Yeah, I think the SP is probably the looking hardware nintendo has put out. Its dpad is the best too
>>
>>11098882
>someone who hasnt held an sp for 2 hours or more
>>
>>11098828

they really had to fuck SOMETHING up on each of these. I actually think micro is the best, I love the design and sadly Im a manlet with smaller hands so its comfy for me too. the screen was small but SO high quality, especially compared to the frontlighted SP model. the backlit SP is clearly the best compromise but I hate the ergonomics.
>>
>>11098871
i thought it looked like shit when i borrowed my friends one as a kid
the ags 101 looks way better
>>11098887
nta but its not that bad depending on the game
the bigger problem is the gba library as a whole being kinda shit apart from snes ports
>>
>>11098887
I don't get any bad cramps from it but I also don't play any action heavy games
>>
>>11098828
ive owned all 3 and id say my favorite and most played GBA is

PSP
>>
>>11098828
Wide with light mod, how is this an argument
>>
>>11098828
a modified original (in Glacier or clear pink), is the best way to play because it's the most ergonomic and does not require a dongle for stereo. You are subhuman if you played GBA in mono. Indigo is an incorrect color and you are scum if you selected it when Glacier was in stock.
>>
>>11098924
micro is superior and objectively the best one and if you disagree youre a filthy knuckledragger with giant semen scented moid hands
>>
>>11098935
Found the Retrotuber coomcucklector
>>
>>11098828
>>
>>11098828
no debate. the SP is superior.
>>
Modded original GBA is superior for anyone who actually plays games. SP for people who want to be seen playing games.
>>
SP, easily
>>
>>11098828
This one.
>>
>>11098828
Tapwave Zodiac
>>
>>11099196
Micro or this.
>>
>>11098887
I didn't raise up a Linoone to Level 100 on a summer day in the vain hopes of getting the Earthquake TM just to be told I never played a GBA SP over 2 hours.
>>
File: IMG_1006.jpg (2.74 MB, 4032x3024)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
I got myself a Micro last week it’s fucking awesome and comfy
>>
>>11098828
Modded SP with IPS screen, USB-C port and better battery >>>>>>
>>
gba sp 101 is the best way to play gba games. thats including chink handhelds. dont @ me
>>
>>11098828
There is no debate, they all suck and there are countless better options available
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>11098828
Gameboy player
>>
>>11099506
Why would you torture yourself playing GBA games on a Gamecube controller.
>>
Original
>Best form factor, good size
>Can't fucking see screen
SP
>Can actually see screen, rechargeable
>form factor is weird, no headphone jack
Micro
>Tiny, can see screen and is sharp, rechargeable
>Fucking tiny and a bit of a pain to hold with regular sized hands, no backwards compatibility
I'd just say OG with SP screen mod
>>
>>11099519
You can actually use that GBA-GC link cable they made to control the game boy player, it's honestly one of the better ways to play GBA games
>>
>>11098828
Famicom Edition Micro for me
>>
I just found out that the original model has a headphone jack while the SP doesn’t. What the fuck. That’s actually a huge detriment to it, might pick up the original in favor of that. Are there mods to add a charging port to the original GBA?
>>
>>11098970
why would you get this instead of Glacier?

>>11099196
a DS with one broken screen is still an affordable GBA :D
>>
>>11099832
Headphone dongle for sp charging port and usbc battery pack for original
>>
>>11099832
Nintendo sold a headphone adapter for SP. It connected to the charging port. There was no official option for listening and charging at the same time but there were third party products that did both.

You can do battery mos for GBA. When it was current, there were NiMH blister packs for it with usually less runtime than disposable alkalines but they could play plugged in even if the manual said not to and it made the audio buzz a little more. Eneloop did not exist until 2005.
>>
>>11098828
i prefer to use the OG DS for gba games
it's cheap and has nice buttons
>>
>>11098828
I use AGS 101 and Micro these days. Just sold my last AGB. I keep an AGS 001 in case I need to remember how bad the screen was before lighting.
>>
File: m3b.png (444 KB, 733x527)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
>>
>>11099859
Does not come in Glacier, however it does come in both Arctic (w/ red buttons) and Black
>>
>>11100213
i didn't expand the thumbnail to see it's a crime
>>
>>11099196
Would it have killed them to include GB and GBC compatibility? It could've been perfect
>>
The only reason I have a bedside lamp is so I can play my unmodded GBA fat in bed. No I will not replace its screen.
>>
>>11098932
The GBA’s audio is all lo-fi sounding
>>
>>11100269
it would have complicated it a lot. Emulation was not feasible at the time (even today there's only one for it?) so it would have required adding a whole GBC CPU like GBA has. Two whole additional computers just for backward compatibility is asking a lot. genwun had already been remade for GBA anyway
>>
>>11100286
It has a bit depth of 8
>>
I don’t think there’s much of a debate. I’m not big on modded consoles, so the SP is my choice. I like that the screen is protected when not in use and I don’t need a headphone jack.

The SP was very cool when it was new. I was genuinely impressed.
>>
File: file.jpg (31 KB, 512x512)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>11099519
easy fix
>>
File: gba-micro.png (914 KB, 789x515)
914 KB
914 KB PNG
>>11099690
same
>>
>>11098867
I have mine unmodded and works well but I'm never selling it. It has too much sentimental value to me and I will occasionally play it. The dark screen has always sucked ass though
>>
>>11100269
Considering they were already phasing out GB/GBC compatibility on the last GBA model, yeah probably.

If the DS needed to have better gameboy compatibility I'd rather it have a link port or a built-in GBA wireless adapter. If you were a pokemon fag on the GBA, the DS's backwards compatibility wasn't much use as long as you couldn't trade.
>>
>>11099506
for some reason the little strap for the manual on my GBP's case is missing so the manual just falls out any time I open it. It's very annoying and I don't know how to find a replacement manual strap for these weird style of GC cases.
>>
File: IMG_4657.jpg (15 KB, 200x193)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>11099859
Because I'm not a queer.
>>
I bought a GBA Micro a couple of years ago and I regret it. Screen is too damn small for me to enjoy it, playing text-heavy games is miserable. I bought a modded SP later and never looked back.
>>
i had an original gameboy. i didnt get another until the sp, which i loved. last handheld i ever bought.
>>
>>11098867
>and the last gameboy advance and SP that are functioning, have been modded so much that they no longer are original hardware
Are you retarded? The GBA can be safely and non-destructively modded. I have my original GBA with a drop in DSI screen but the original screen and case are safely preserved and can be swapped in maybe ten minutes work at most. Yes, there are plenty of retards on youtube/reddit buying up Japanese GBAs and mass modding them, but it's hardly impossible to find a working, non-modded unit, and intelligent modders do not make irreversible changes to the hardware.
>>
>>11098828
My hands prefer the GBA form factor, but the SP has a superior screen.
The Micro is for leprechauns.
I wish I could transfer the screen off a 101 SP and put it seamlessly into a GBA.
>>
>>11098828
Original GBA. Easier to hold onto, all the backwards compatibility that the micro never had, and the fact that it is powered by standard AA batteries makes it able to withstand the test of time compared to the proprietary rechargable batteries of the SP and Micro.

The dim non backlit screen is the only issue with the original GBA, but you can fix that by either modding in a backlit screen or by just coping with a $7 wormlight attatchment like it was 2003, so the original GBA is still the best option because it has the fewest problems with the most available solutions.

Micro is cool as a concept, and the SP is a classic, but the Micro compromises too much functionality in order to achieve its small size while the SP screen is far too prone to damage while carried in the pocket.

People will say I'm wrong, and thats fine, but the original GBA really is the best in terms of value and functionality.
>>
> owned all three at one point

> AGB
> - d-pad goes bad
> - no backlight
> - no discrete rechargeable battery

> SP
> + clamshell protects screen /// - hinge wear & tear
> - need adaptor for 3.5mm jack
> + stylish

> μ
> - no backwards compatibility with DMG/CGB
> - faceplate tabs can break over time
> - tiny screen == tiny text/details
> + multi level brightness adjustment
> + 3.5mm jack
> - need adaptor for link cable

with some gives and takes, the SP is rather similar to Goldilocks.
> backlit screen
> plays entire generational GB libraries
> design fits the early 2000s
>>
>>11101841
>> - no discrete rechargeable battery
Enjoy your battery going to shit in a decade or less, not to mention needing a proprietary adapted. AA's for life.
>>
>>11101741
You are entirely right, Anon. A breath of fresh air when it comes to GBA discussion.
>>
>>11101841
> - no discrete rechargeable battery

Wasn't there actually an official rechargeable battery pack released by Nintendo for the GBA fat? I'm like 99% certain but I can't find it on google because it's impossible to search anything GBA related without getting swamped in GBA ricer mod results.
>>
>>11099397
if only they kept gb/gbc compatibility even if it was just emulation.
>>
>>11099506
Enjoy your bilinear 480i and badly scaled games.

>>11099559
\
Yee
>>
>>11101926
i do not believe so.
google did not provide any results.
additionally, i cannot recall ever seeing such an accessory in stores.
>>
>>11098828
The SP. That thing was one of the few gaming peripherals that I took care of when I got it, even though I took it with me everywhere. Brought it with me on trips, to the beach, to friends' places, I got a shitton of mileage out of that thing. I ended up selling it when I moved out years ago, along with my entire gaming collection at the time. Shit sucks, but it was just gathering dust and I couldn't have brought it with me anyway.
>>
>>11098887
I never had this problem at all, it wasn't a cramped design like the Micro and for that matter I can't imagine a game I would be playing for two hours that required vigorous d-pad inputs every moment.
>>
File: 1646040707409.jpg (22 KB, 579x530)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>11098970
I am never going to buy anything from Aliexpress, ever.
>>
Playing my childhood SP as an adult and god do my hands start to cramp while playing games like Alien Hominid and Metal Slug. Might have to buy a grip for this thing.
>>
>>11099328
pokemon isnt a real game
>>
>>11098828
Original GBA with backlit screen and rechargeable battery
>>
>>11102747
Enjoy buying the same products at a markup from big box stores and Amazon. :^)
>>
File: micro2.jpg (1.37 MB, 2639x2640)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
Micro is love.
>>
DS has like the best GBA experience and you can even play online
>>
>>11098828
SP for me. Best look and feel. No batteries required.
>>
Should I buy a AGS-101 or mod my existing AGS-001 for a better screen? As far as I know, the only screens available are those blackberry ones that can't dither.
>>
>>11102749
maybe you should stop jacking off and wolfing down fast food, maybe your hands wouldn't be so big
>>
>Better form factor for bigger hands.
>Uses AA batteries which are easy as fuck to find and replace
>Shoulder buttons do not malfunction
>Has a headphone jack
>Better d-pad and face buttons
>Fully supports the eReader
Original GBA is the best overall. Literally the only downside is the lack of a backlit screen but that can be fixed nowadays.
>>
>>11103538
I'm having issues on my original GBA where the left dpad input is barely read. Even after cleaning the membrane and contact it still has this issue. Should I just buy a new set of membrane's for my set? I was thinking of modding my OG one anyways since I used it a ton growing up and the wear shows on it. I do have a spare GBA I got from Goodwill that looks 20x times better that I would keep as vanilla.
>>
>>11103540
Membranes do wear down with use. My original Select was unusable after almost two decades use. As for modding, just save your original components. My original, Target Grape GBA was modded but I have the original shell/screen packed safely and they still work. Reused the original buttons aside from Start and Select which was again nonworking despite cleaning.
>>
>>11098828
SP
>>11098867
it's not impossible at all, they're like $200 on YAJ. They just really suck to actually play. I have an unmodded SP I play on a daily basis.
The worst part is that I have dust behind mine and I have to hope I get lucky tapping the back getting some of the dust off most of the playing area.
>>
File: 1644638664386.png (81 KB, 248x240)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>>11103305
I don't buy from Amazon either. Cope
>>
>>11101079
Micro released AFTER the DS by about a year. The DS could've had Game Boy/Color compatibility, but it would've required a physical switch inside of the console just like the GBA and SP, and if they did include that, then there wouldn't have been precedent for removing GB/GBA compatibility in the future.
>>
>>11098828
The SP.

Got two of them.
>>
>>11098828
Why do people talk up the micro so much these days? Even as a kid I thought it sounded like a shitty idea. Never had one though. I have an original and an SP and the SP seems too cramped now.
Also did the micro originally have a back light or no.
>>
>>11098828
>bought a gameboy micro when it was new
>traded it back in to kikestop like a year later for in store credit that i don't even remember what i used it on
i hate myself
>>
>>11098828
If judging based purely on stock hardware, the SP. If console modding's allowed, original GBA
>>
>>11103575
What screen would you recommend getting for the GBA? I do plan on keeping the screen, as I would hate to see it trashed. I'm just concerned about how the dithering would look on thos modded screens.
>>
>>11103809
I left my GBA SP at my old house when I moved on purpose because I had a DS lite and thought some other kid would enjoy it. I was pretty dumb, bet the cleaning crew took it or the realtor
>>
Is there a screen size difference between the original and the SP? Whatever has the biggest wins by default.
>>
>>11103874
This is the same kit I bought from FunnyPlaying, great screen although the touch sensor on mine sometimes triggers randomly. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805491152568.html The screenshots comparing it to the 101 are incredibly accurate, I tested it with my ITA and SP 101 after installation.
>>
>>11103995
Thanks!
>>
>>11103795
It's neat and very small. It was also a major flop so it was slightly obscure and interesting, unfortunately that blew up into turning fucking regular retail gameboys into 300$ coomlector bait.
>>
>>11098828
Original GBA looks better, but GBA SP is the superior hardware for most practical purposes.
>>
>>11104009
Happy to help, Anon. Hope your modding goes well.
>>
Why people say the clunky ugly looking original is better than the SP is beyond me
>>
File: AArecharge.jpg (98 KB, 720x720)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>11101841
>no discrete rechargeable battery
Double A literally fixes this. The problem with the GBA SP is that it is ONLY rechargeable, there is no quick and easy disposable option like with the original GBA.

With the original GBA you can have it all.
>>
>>11104483
The only real issue with the SP being rechargable is that the gamecube link cable blocks the charge port, it makes it worse for connecting to the console with for long periods of time like using it as a controller with the GBP. Nintendo really should have made a revision of the link cable that had a little door to fit the charge port through or something.
>>
>>11104361
people with big hands and also nicest shoulder buttons.
I can't help but thinking it looks like a kid's toy though. Even moreso than older Gameboys. It's such an outlier for the brand.
>>
AGS-101 is the GOAT. I also enjoy the DS Lite as a GBA though.
>>
>>11099397
that looks kino as all hell
>>
SP 101 is the pick for general playing as well as portability. Bonus points, you can place it on your desk and play it like a mini laptop. I do this a lot with casual slow paced games.
The OG is best for ergonomics, but a screen mod is mandatory. Obviously not as good for portability, but also a bit better while playing gb/gbc games.
The micro gets a little uncomfy to hold after a while. You have to hold it in your fingertips. You can easily one hand it especially with turn based games.

HOWEVER
A lot ofGBA games are intentionally oversaturated to compensate for shitty screen of the original GBA. This means that on 101 screens (and moded ips kits), they will be oversaturated. This is closer to how the developers saw the game when they were making it, but further from how they intended (you) to see it.
The micro screen seems to be tuned down in terms of saturation.

What you prefer is ultimately up to you.
>>
>>11104740
I wish you could find the 101s for a reasonable price anywhere. I had one but it broke.
>>
>>11104768
Tbh it's not hard to repair them. Usually just some cleaning with a bit of rubbing alcohol and it's good to go. I have two 101's, both of which I bought broken in lots and fixed easily.
>>
It perplexes me how the GBA didn't get a single new 2D Mario game, just ports.
>>
>>11104727
early 2000s Nintendo moment. seems they really decided to go all in on that look.
>>
>>11099868
they did an Apple before Apple did it
>>
File: Pain.jpg (1.38 MB, 1820x3354)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>11098828
I realized the GBA SP's screen is slightly off-center and it bothers me so much
>>
>>11105862
i assumed it's inspired by ThinkPad
>>
>>11105746
I have one with a messed up speaker output. Audio works through headphones but that's it, and I've tried everything from replacing the speaker, testing for bad resistors/capacitors, and checking the headphone switch. I think the audio chip on it is just half-fried or something and just doesn't send anything to the speaker output.

Apparently speaker issues are common on the AGS101 but I've never found anyone else with the same problem I have.
>>
>>11105862
Huh, so it is.
I wonder if there's a design reason for it, like the ribbon cable through the hinge. or the LCD screen behind the bezel.

RG35XXSP being a GBA SP imitator isn't off-center like that.
>>
Forever disapointed they abandoned the game boy successors original design
>>
File: s-l400 (3).jpg (21 KB, 400x400)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>11106396
This is every vertical handheld now anon
>>
>>11106396
eh, I like the GBA's wide design.

If anything I'm dissapointed they redesigned it completely with the SP instead of just like making a GBA lite or something with a lit screen.
>>
>>11106376
I'm assume the screen protectors come in from that side so the left side of the bezel has to be slightly wider.
>>
>>11106408
screen connectors, sorry
>>
>>11103538
I had this exact GBA as a kid and let me tell you I didn't care about any of these things, because all my friends that had a GBA SP could actually SEE what they were playing, especially in the dark, so they could play before going to bed, or whenever the lights went out or whatever. The GBA had an awfully dark screen, it was uncomfortable to try playing, having to adjust its position all the time.
>>
>>11099196
I don't remember what they were like new, but the buttons on mine are completely terrible. Just mushy garbage. I couldn't believe it when I picked it back up for the first time in a decade a while back. It convinced me to buy an SP and a flashcart, it was so bad.
>>
File: 1721025652460709.png (715 KB, 2224x848)
715 KB
715 KB PNG
>>11104740
stop posting this pasta, that color correction its from VBA and it looks horrible.

Also consider this, if you play GBA games on a GBA with modded screens, it only highlight how horrible GBA games tended to look both ways, with the overly bright and saturated washed out colors, or with the color correction.
>>
What is the ideal retro portable/handheld console for me?
>I hate Mario bros
>I hate the game Boy
>I Hate Nintendo DS
>I hate Nintendo
>anti-nintendo console
>anti-pokemon games
>console with anti-nintendo design
>Anti-pokemon consoles
>>
>>11107157
GTFO with this stale copypasta, nog.
>>
>>11107157
atari lynx
>>
>>11107196
Reasons why an Atari lynx would be my ideal retro handheld/portable console?
>>
>>11107157
tiger gamecom
>>
File: rxiwewdpaaaa.jpg (24 KB, 391x400)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>11107157
Game Gear
>>
File: 1717679811256994.jpg (241 KB, 1200x1200)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>11098876
>RG35XX SP
ENTER
>>
More like the great dilate

excuse me, I will show myself to the door
>>
Who the fuck cares if there's only five games worth playing in its entire library
>>
>>11108872
i'd say there's at least six worthwhile series/franchises, and that's ignoring ports/remakes

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.