[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721505718606.jpg (42 KB, 280x357)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Best way of experiencing this classic?
>>
>>11103127
Pirate the gog version and slap on the win95 restoration patch.
>>
>>11103365
I'm on Linux and have the Steam Max Pack version, tried using Boxtron but have vertical lines, using Proton with 3dfx mode actually works reasonably well, the software mode was quite slow on a lot of places...man was the handling in this game always sluggish? Good fun wasting an opponent after a run up though.
>>
File: 1677757157893243.gif (2.49 MB, 302x382)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB GIF
>>11104273
>"Why doesn't this Windows application run properly on my Linux machine?"
>>
>>11105272
Man, that shit really grates my gears. Worse are people that ask
>why doesn't this game from 1994 support Ultra Widescreen and my three monitor setup?
>>
Downloaded this on gog but its just not the same on this mega wide monitor. It looks fucking stupid. Best on win 98 p266 ati rage card, with the 18" crt ya get it?
>>
>>11104273
>I'm on Linux and
If you're using linux don't fucking complain when shit doesn't work correctly.
>>
>>11105295
That is actually fucking worse, since you have to be a special kind of annoying prickish entitled brat to think that a game from 1994 will support any of that bullshit. Play it in 4:3 on a single monitor at 30 FPS and LIKE IT.
>>
Unironically the Android port is very well made
>>
>>11105707
It is and it's a crying shame more wasn't done with it, a XBLA port or something would've been kino
>>
>>11105707
While it's a really good mobile game, it's also very different from the original. Devs reused the 2D and 3D assets alright but slapped it on a much different version of their game engine. Physics and even bits of the game mechanics aren't the same. Game progression is also altered, the game is easier (fits the mobile platform I guess). No cockpit view is really too bad though. Giant pedestrians too :>

>>11103127
Either the GOG release or the old 95RPP thing. For the GOG release, you can swap the old DOSBox build with DOSBox-Staging. The 95 executable is nice and all but is a bit more crashy. Still should be rather safe if you don't mod the game too much. You can update the cnc-ddraw wrapper to the latest version too.

The upcoming Meld Pack update will feature better HD and FullHD modes.
>>
>>11105845
Did you ever get the dosbox-staging version to hot 60fps? It never seems to go beyond 25 for me. Not a deal breaker but it feels nicer
>>
>>11103127

GOG version worked fine out the box for me on Windows 10. You might need a higher end system to play the glide version is all.

Only thing (if you're playing on a smaller laptop) is to remember that you kind of need the number pad; the controls are odd and not that easy to remap.
>>
File: monstereagle.png (348 KB, 1920x1080)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
>>11105853
Not at all. I never pay attention to framerate, but just did a test with the GOG release and dosbox staging.
Software mode, low res is close to 60 fps but inconsistent.
Software hires is around 20-30 fps but very unstable, quite choppy.
Glide mode is also 20-30 fps but somehow more stable, smoother.
Didn't test with OG DOSBox. I usually play with the Meld Pack + cnc-ddraw.
>>
>>11106012
What mod is this? Meld pack? Wow, I never had seen Carmageddon like this
>>
File: d3QOfZO.png (82 KB, 900x900)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>11106176
Meld Pack with experimental HD hack and addon cars.

Speaking of HD hack, a proper widescreen hack appeared for Carmageddon 2: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2968-carmageddon-ii-carpocalypse-now-widescreen-fov-fix/
>>
>>11103127
I don't know about modern ports, so what I'd recommend is the original game + the 3Dfx patch + DOSBox
>>
Just heard about a project called Dethrace which is reverse engineering the symbol table for an old Carmageddon executable, looks pretty neat
>>
Power Macintosh Clone(Power Computing 150 maybe, mac OS 8.6) with a 3DFX Voodoo 2 flashed for Mac OS, using the number pad for driving and repairing and everything because they totally programmed those keys for that. No splat pack. I mean, I like it, but it was not used in competition.

At least, this is what I used for practicing when I became the national champion of the game in 1998.
>>
File: DUMP0014.png (92 KB, 640x480)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>11105991
>>11107197
Weird, most keys can be easily remapped ingame in the Controls panel. There's also a program called CarmaKeyBinder that helps remap the keys.
I still play both Carmas on my ibook clamshell and it's got no keypad.

>>11106760
Dethrace is very exciting. I hope it'll be the base for some kind of gzCarma. It is almost complete but still in a stage where many little things don't feel right.
There is also an RE project for Carma2 (REC2) progressing in parallel to Dethrace.
>>
>>11103127
Gizmondo
>>
File: gigachad on the 'puter.jpg (48 KB, 1080x607)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>"Why doesn't this Windows application run properly on my Linux machine?"
>>
>>11104273
Linux users always have to let you know they use Linux. It's like the joke with vegans. Shut the fuck up
>>
>>11107768

Maybe I'm a retard, but I could never find anything on the games settings to change it on the original, I maybe just assumed it was the same. I always found the key bindings they chose to be so weird, but you definitely get used to them. Carmakeybinder sounds like a good shout.
>>
>>11108380
Wincucks seething in this thread...it's relevant to the discussion and running/emulating the game in question, retard. Loads of retro PC games available through GOG and Steam either run natively or through Proton and DOSBox. Unless you're running Carma on original hardware with Win98 and a Voodoo graphics card you've nothing to be proud of.
>>
>>11108395
It's irrelevant. No one cares about that shitty OS

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.