[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>adds VA, 3D, cinematic cutscenes and gameplay additions to a retro game
>doesnt ruin the core appeal of the original in the process

any other examples of this? pretty much the exact opposite of StillBirth, or any other modern remake. Also ffIV thread (psp/pixel remaster is absolute shit compared to DS, but modded SNES rom still the best way to go)
>>
>>11106154
>actually soulful remakes
No such thing
>>
>>11106165
You were saying
>>
>>11106154
Personally I'm fan of the ds version of III
>psp/pixel remaster is absolute shit compared to DS, but modded SNES rom still the best way to go)
I'd say the pixel remaster are worse that the originals with the exception of V, it's basically the only one that mostly retains the original's artstyle.
Also the rearranged soundtracks are great but they clash with the graphics
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>11106610
And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful Final Fantasy III"
>>
File: hero-1696718767.jpg (830 KB, 2400x1350)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
>>11106154
Picrel is amazing, also the Turbografx CD version of Cotton is my favourite game for that console.
>>
>>11106610

my biggest complaint with remakes are all the fucking orchestrated demasters that not only sound worse but clash with pixel graphics. who actually finds that shit appealing, makes it seem like Im playing some shitty fan game from newgrounds.
>>
>>11106154
>that interview where SE said they'd remake V and VI in the same style
Still mad they didn't do it and instead went with those cheap mobile ports.
I wanted to see the VOID in 3D...
>>
>>11106631

yeah Im still ass blasted about this. imagine seeing ex deth void or the floating continent in 3d, imagine ffvi with voice acting. now itll never happen, the best we can hope for is a 7r style """remake""" that completely discards the plot for nomura shit.
>>
>>11106154
Voice acting is gay and unnecessary for any game. Cutscenes are garbage.

Gay move shit killed gaming
>>
>>11106696

normally id agree with you but story based JRPGS are the one genre that benefits from movie shit. ffvii without FMV or Ffx without VA would not have been nearly as epic.
>>
The only good FF remakes are the GBA ones.
>>
I still think Metroid Zero Mission is the best remake.

>keeps the original game's feeling
>brings the gameplay up to modern series standards
>adds new content that doesn't clash with the original
>contains the original game for good measure
>new music doesn't sound like shit
>takes the discrepancies from the original's early installment weirdness and integrates it into the story/lore
>>
>>11106906
ff4's was buggy as fuck and the music and palette are aids. otherwise yeah the extra content in all three are neat
>>
>>11106154
>SD, low res models
nope, fuck outta here with that
>>
>>11106961
But, would you go so far as to suggest it's a good way to play the game for the first time.
>>
>>11106154
Chrono Trigger DS
>>
File: CYH8Z7RFpP45L5U2XpTI7JeW.jpg (833 KB, 2880x2160)
833 KB
833 KB JPG
>>11106154
People who say picrel is a bad remake and inferior to the original are people who think things like "stable framerate" and "draw distance" are unimportant for enjoying a video game (aka retards)
>>
>>11107008
Yes, Zero Mission is a ton more accesable than the original Metroid and for the vast morority of players it would be the preffered way of experiencing it.
The original's way to get completely and utterly lost is not for most people really. I'm sure there are people that enjoy this, but they are a minority.
>>
>>11106610
>>11106630
i have the PSP version of FF3 that is the same as the DS version graphically but i dont know if there are difference other than that but in it you can choose the original soundtrack or the new one.
>>
>>11107776
>he hasn't seen the comparison shots
lol. Hell, I'd even add a lmao.
>>
>>11107870
>10 fps
Pffft not a problem
>The mountains are more detailed and the horse bobs its head at a different rhythm
NOOOOOO HOW COULD YOU????
SOULESS
>>
File: SoulSilver.jpg (1.14 MB, 1631x1487)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>11106154
>>
>>11107873
>Pffft not a problem
yes.
>the rest of your gibberish
I genuinely wish I had standards as low as you, I mean it sincerely. I might enjoy more stuff that way.
>>
>>11107776
I don't have an opinion on this remake but the developer had already made a remaster of the original game on PS3 with stable framerate and the original artstyle. Apparently the stable framerate makes some physics from the original not work as it used to, I think it messes up some of the time trial or something. But besides that it may be the preferred way to play SotC.
>>
>>11107883
You don't give a shit about something that drastically affects gameplay and movement, but you care about graphical variations.

You ALREADY have low standards. You're a graphics whore.
>>
>>11107868
The PSP version of III has higher resolution so it looks better graphically, plus it has all the online content which is no longer available for the DS version already included, the option to switch between the original and remastered soundtracks, and some other stuff I forget.
>>
>>11107868
The android/ios/steam versions and the psp versions are all better than DS since Mognet is inaccessible on the later
>>
>>11106961
Zero Mission is like a litmus test for a retard, if you like it and believe "it's like Metroid 1 BUT MODERN and an EXCELLENT INTRODUCTION to the series", I automatically discard anything you have to say
>>
>>11106154
I dunno why you pointed out the cutscenes/VA (which are nice) and not
>3D artstyle that looks like the amano concept art
>Game is both more challenging in general and also deliberately redesigned bosses so the old strategies don't work so you have to actually think and use status magic if you don't want to get smoked
>Game expands the script with story elements they wanted to include but literally didn't have enough space on the SNES cart to include without removing gameplay stuff
>more sidequests and optional stuff but it doesn't get in the way of you just playing ff4 if you don't give a shit, unlike the ff7 remake which constantly interupts ff7 to give you new stuff you don't care about
>>
>>11106631
The worse part, if they do it now, it'd be Remakesloppa.
>>
>>11107997
>>11107934
oh cool,i only played the DS version when i was a teen but nowadays only have access to the psp version,i'll try to look up what it changes from the famicom FF3.
>>
>>11106961
>brings the gameplay up to modern series standards
Yeah like Chozo statues giving you map hints, easier bosses, jap exclusive modes, and a forced stealth section.

that being said, play Metroid Planets.
>>
>>11107881
Only in name, Sinnohfetus never actually played the originals.
>>
>>11106154
>adds VA, 3D, cinematic cutscenes and gameplay additions to a retro game
How is that an improvement
>>
File: oh-my-dark-heart.jpg (125 KB, 689x1034)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>11106154
IV DS is so bad lol.
All the dorky melodrama from the 2D era doesn't translate to drawn-out super-serious voice acting and cutscenes. Especially when all the characters look like they just walked out of a, to quote one reviewer, claymation Christmas special.
But the worst thing is how f u c k i n g s l o w everything is. From cutscenes, to battles, to screen transitions, to just walking around. It's like you're playing the SNES version on an emulator at 70% speed or something.
>>
>>11107776
Not sure if bait but lol. Lmao even.
>>
>>11106154
>utter garbage remake slop
>slow as fuck 3d trash
Why doesn't your brain work right, little shittard zoomer?
>>
Bionic Commando REarmed is fantastic.
>>
>>11108087
Anyone who had a GBA could, and anyone who browsed the 3DS eShop could.
>>
File: Destiny DC.jpg (487 KB, 594x841)
487 KB
487 KB JPG
>>11106154
>>
File: IMG_0765.jpg (333 KB, 1578x1170)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>11106154
>encounter double chimera
>5 seconds pass, they both cast a fire ability
>700 damage two times to each party member
>took away one and a half hours of your life

"difficulty"
>>
>>11108083
Zero Mission didn't have Jap exclusive modes.
Fusion did.
>>
File: 3.webm (3.87 MB, 256x224)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB WEBM
>>
>>11106154
Ys 1&2 on the PC Engine add some new cinematics which are awesome.

https://youtu.be/Pr2M1523t6s?si=0xAc8fJ2_blxz1cV&t=176

After you watch the opening though just shut the game off and play the PC-88 version because it looks and sounds better. Remakes suck ass.
>>
>>11108580
2D elden ring looks sick.
>>
>>11108520
Why didn't you set up someone with fire protection beforehand?
>>
>>11108707
what in God's name are you talking about? There is nothing with fire resistance in that segment of the game
>>
>>
>>11108146
Yeah I tend to feel this way about it but could be burnout because I did the ng+3 proto babil run

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.