[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (879 KB, 938x720)
879 KB
879 KB PNG
I've been trying to learn more about the scene and all the new toys out for the console now. Has anyone played around with Open Menu before? I was going to try it out to replace the default GDMenu.
>>
I can't find anything about this on search engines. Are Google blocking relevant results or do the devs not bother talking about this anywhere outside of Discord? God I hate the modern internet.
>>
Openmenu is faster or something. I don't remember what the real was. Either way, openmenu is a cover art scroller and the gdemu menu is a list of games like an everdrive.
>>
>>11106309
Here, these are the links I found. I was looking into the VM2 on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcvFyWONRqk
Found out openmenu has automatic VM2 switching and saw the github link here:
https://github.com/megavolt85/openmenu
Which had a release candidate in April.

>>11106310
gdmenu also has cover art but the integration is weird because it seems like it's disc art and all custom disc art instead of the actual disc art...
>>
File: openmenu.webm (3.58 MB, 640x480)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB WEBM
Little update, I got it working and I'm very impressed at what I'm working with here.
>>
>>11106283
I don't know anything about the Dreamcast modding scene (I still burn discs), so are you running games off an external hard drive, SD, or something like that?
>>
>>11107595
You can buy a dreamcast CD-rom emulator that you can use a SD-card with and load it with ever dreamcast game. It plugs into the cd rom area. and requires no soldering

You use a menu like OP's to navigate them all.

Only 40 bucks on aliexpress for the older version that you can download game patches for the 5 games that need it to be as good as the more expensive version
>>
>>11107605
No soldering? Awesome. What are the five games that you need to patch to play?
How does it handle games that have multiple discs?
>>
>>11108245
5.15b version just needs a patched resident evil code veronica and skies of arcadia which you can find links on dreamcast-talk.com and probably elsewhere

Multiple disks you just load both disks onto your sd card and load the game from your second disc like you would with normal discs. Usually games ask you to save before switching to discs
>>
>>11108259
Oh yeah and use GDMENU not open menu.
Openmenu has issues and the developer is a literal sperg retard
>>
>>11108263
You can launch gdmenu from openmenu, openmenu hasn't seen development in almost a decade. OM was updated in April and has support for new hardware like VM2.
>>
>>11108259
>>11108263
Thanks for the info anon. I feel iffy removing the disc drive from my old Dreamcast (at least until it dies) though so maybe I can find a "broken" Dreamcast and restore it with this mod?
>>
>>11109041
That's an option, you can also just store the drive.
>>
I find emulating the dc better purely for speeding up when you need it.
>>
>>11109208
It's honestly a great and imo underrated machine
>>
>>11108259
Is 5.5b the same compatibility-wise as the 5.15b?
I remember getting a black screen with SoA even with the patched game.
>>
>>11110017
I dont know sorry
You'd have to do some sleuthing.
I remember reading though all you have to do is skip the intro and then the game is fine (at least on 5.15b)
>>
>>11109816
I love love love the Dreamcast, but I don't know if it's fair to call it underrated. I don't know how many times I've heard the question "what's your favourite retro console" asked and the answer to be the Dreamcast. It's kind of amazing to hear the question and know the answer Dreamcast is coming for the hundredth time.
I guess it's underrated in the sense that it sold poorly and died fast. Not many people actually interacted with a Dreamcast back then. Maybe it's overrated for retro enthusiasts and underrated for the rest.
>>
>>11110276
I feel it's very rarely discussed on /vr/ compared to Saturn. People act as though it never existed for some reason
>>
>>11109816
I'm with you my friend. My favourite of all time, perfect for emulation especially on hand held
>>
What are some of the lesser known Dreamcast titles? Preferably in English
>>
>>11111523
Expendable

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.