[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

From wikipedia and the referenced Wired article:

"If it wasn't for Virtua Fighter, the PlayStation probably would have had a completely different hardware concept," said former Sony Computer Entertainment producer Ryoji Akagawa.
"What if we make the PlayStation using 2-D hardware? Such an idea was seriously considered," Akugawa said.
"Once Virtua Fighter was out, the direction of the PlayStation became instantly clear," said Maruyama.
"With great timing, Sega saved our hides," Maruyama said.

Poor SEGA inspired Sony to go full 3D with their PSX design, and then released the Saturn that was a 2D machine with some 3D capabilities.
>>
>>11106339
I think if Sega didn't give so much attention to the Playstation by releasing the Saturn before it in both Japan and USA, Sony's console would be remembered as a fad not unlike the 3DO. Release the Neptune in the US as a stopgap, work on Saturn some more to make it fully 3D and more appealing to developers and have it ready before N64, focus on continuing the war with Nintendo. That's what they should have done. Maybe release it in Japan a bit earlier to milk those arcade ports.
>>
>>11106339
>Virtua Fighter prevented us from having a generation dominated by the Super Dooper SNES, Genesis Ultra Ascended, Sony 2D Station and Neo Geo 2.
Damn, I'm mad now
>>
>>11106339
>and then released the Saturn that was a 2D machine with some 3D capabilities.
the custom chips used in virtua fighter were still incredibly expensive despite sega's attempts to cost reduce them so they could be used in arcades. to include such tech in a console was prohibitively expensive. their console division knew 3d was going to be a thing but they were told to keep the cost of the system lower. sony had a huge advantage: decades of experience designing and building custom chips and tonnes of money. sega's console division was in a persistent death spiral since the 32x.
>>
ANY CONSOLE CAPABLE OF RENDERING 300K TEXTURED POLYGONS PER SECOND IS BY DEFINITION MADE FOR 3D. WHEN WILL THIS MEME END?
>>
File: 1716326593985.png (102 KB, 940x848)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>11106608
The final console could do 3D but the architecture was shit to work with because it was originally a 2D console and they frankensteined it at the last minute when they saw the PS1
Pic related. It's an interview with Hideki Sato, the engineer who designed the Saturn
>>
>>11106608
>RENDERING 300K TEXTURED POLYGONS PER SECOND
You know that means 10k polygons per frame (at 30fps)
The N64 and PSX could only do 2k to 3k triangles per frame realistically (at 30fps).
So are you implying the Saturn is twice as powerful than both its competitors combined?
>>
File: 1462826643609.jpg (152 KB, 564x1166)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>11106608
>>
>>11106339
I mean, obviously? It inspired everyone to go 3D.
>>
>>11106635
Sega's hardware dev team should have been more open earlier to hiring people with 3D design backgrounds, such as the Computer Craphics Lab (the makers of many old tech demos, and the woefully unfinished film "The Works), people who worked with the ECS Amigas, and probably also cancel the 32X 3-5 months before its announcement, moving the devs on it to the Saturn along with most of the titles for it being moved there as well.
Those that don't get moved to the Saturn become Genesis/Mega Drive games that use the SVP chip, or get turned into late Sega CD titles.
>>
>>11106646
I wonder what the Rendering methods for the Sega Saturn and 3DO would be represented as.
>>
>>11106658
>Sega's hardware dev team should have been more open earlier to hiring people with 3D design backgrounds
in 1992/93 when development started, the amount of people that had skills in 3d graphics design was miniscule. the hardest and most expensive part is getting those 3d models on the screen without needing an 3d graphics computer costing as much as a small house.
>>
>>11106538
I wonder what Nintendo was planning before they got the SGI deal.
The only designs they did themselves later were the GBA & DS, so the initial SNES 2 would probably be closer to a Saturn I guess.
>>
>>11106659
It used quads so it looked much better.
>>
File: 1717324972896294.gif (550 KB, 220x124)
550 KB
550 KB GIF
>>11106339
Old. Playstation didn't innovate. They just stole ideas from companies they later tried to bankrupt.
>>
>>11107942
Playstation took a huge risk with the CD format and they made it work. Nintendo was left with egg on their face as every worthwhile dev jumped ship except for Rare, and they've never been the same company since.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.