[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Ninja Warriors SNES.png (10 KB, 256x224)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
What do beat-em-up enthusiasts think of single-plane beat-em-ups like Ninja Warriors where you have no z-axis and cannot move into and out of the screen?
>>
>>11106448
Ninja Warriors in particular is a good game, and since I'm not a tranny I don't give generalist opinions.
>>
>>11106450
ok but it's kinda weird to just bring that up out of nowhere. maybe you should start estrogen already
>>
File: 1714507142587370.png (87 KB, 300x168)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
rush n attack is fun, but the novelty wears off since your attacks are so basic
>>
Those are just called action games. I like Splatterhouse. I do not like Ninja Warriors or the remake.
>>
File: prtm.png (15 KB, 512x380)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
Power Rangers the Movie on SNES is interesting in that it doesn't have z-axis movement but instead it has a lane system like it's Fatal Fury.
>>
>>11106448
NWA is great, basically Spartan X meets Final Fight.
>>
>>11106448
Not a real beat em up
>>
>>11106875
yes it is
>>
The Ninja Warriors for SNES and its remake are amazing, peak beat 'em up.
>>
>>11106860
The PR games are fun but a bit disappoiting considering they came after Ninja Warriors, the combat wasn't near as in-depth.
>>
Ninja Warriors looks good. I haven't played it.

But loosing a Z axis just seems like less depth. I feel like you should make up for it by doing more of the stuff that works best without a Z axis like platforming.
>>
>>11106907
There's 0 platforming, it's literally single-plane Final Fight. The lack of belt makes crowd control a bit harder since you can't avoid attacks just moving vertically.
>>
File: 1696330726291045.jpg (35 KB, 640x400)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>11106448
I appreciate the simplicity.
It's fun even if it's not as great really.
Altered Beast's probably my favorite of these.
>>
>>11106860
More like Power Rangers the KINO
Love that game
>>
I'm skeptical. with no z axis you'd really need a stronger vertical component to pick up the slack and at that point you'd be closer to a general platform action game like shinobi than a beat em up.
>>
>>11106448
The only one I've ever played is Kung Fu on NES, but I always assumed they'd be more shallow and would need something exciting to make up for the lack of literal depth.
That said, often in beat-em-ups with multiple planes, the strategy is just to walk vertically to dodge and get close to the boss. So maybe the limitation could be good. Kung Fu had the gimmick of hoards of enemies that could grab you. And I did like the look of the Ninja Warriors remaster so I should give them a try.
What other single plane beat-em-ups are there?
>>
>>11106907
>>11107767
chatbot
>>
>>11106450
the only thing ninja warriors had going for it was the multi-monitor, sampled music, and graphics. the actual game was as barebones as it could be. it's kusoge, but stylish kusoge.
>>
>>11107793
Lol no. The game was and still is a really good action game because the designers knew what the fuck were they doing and have a really great enemy variety and grouping of them.
The game is on a single plane, so to make it an actual challenge, you have all enemies doing a variation of normal and low attacks, combined with other enemy types doing in-air attacks and projectile attacks. Some of them are snipers and are hiding behind buildings, some are commanders that will change the tactic of enemies (like regroup or charge).
The game has more enemies than Ninja Warriors Again, and better grouping of them. So yes, it is an excellent game with quite some depth and I really wish people on /vr/ would at least play a game that they try to give opinion on for more than 30 seconds.
>>
>>11107793
>>11107807
Neither ksg nor masterpiece, more of a flashy Spartan X with just enough substance. Still prefer the more developed combat of Again.
>>
>>11107807
Yes, shuffling slowly towards snipers at the edge of the screen while rape apes jump around you is truly clever level design. The bosses are a joy as well because you're slow as fuck, but ironically dressed as a ninja. It's just so slow and plodding. That's cool if you love it and 1cc'd it, but the arcade was garbo.
>>
>>11107837
You do know you have a somersault jump when holding block and jumping? You can jump over the bullets and literary slide through the apes in barely 2 seconds... Why do people "criticizing" games are playing in the most mundane and boring possible way?
>>
>>11107845
I...I did not know that. i didn't know you could slide either.
>>
>>11106448
i love them

pc engine is a good system for them. pretty ass for real beatemups though except 16-bit versions of river city ransom and double dragon ii nes...and ane-san i guess

>altered beast
>ninja warriors (the og, never got past like stage 3 though, its hard af)
>wonder momo
>bravoman
>guyvan
>splatterhouse
>mad stalker
>kaze kiri
>vigilante
>the kung fu
>>
>>11106448
I like them, but they feel closer to platformers with punching (think of The Mask, some Asterix games or Cool World) rather than a typical Double Dragon-like beat 'em up.
For me they are in a separate Action sub-genre.
>>
How do I play Ninja Warriors properly? The Sega CD version. I don't really know how to avoid getting hit much of the time. It's been a long time since I last tried it, but I vaguely remember coming across a tank(?) early on and I couldn't figure out how to hit it without just tanking the damage, no pun intended.
>>
>>11108017
Gunner comes out after you are a certain distance away from the tank. So you basically time your somersault to avoid the tank missile and then do neutral jump and throw your shuriken mid-air to kill the gunner. I would recommend you to play the og arcade version, since it's higher res and has different enemy layout, unless you specifically play on actual MD CD.
>>
>>11106606
I would consider it more of an standard action game than a beat em up.
>>
>>11106898
They couldn't risk making a PR too complex for the kind of public that watched them at the time, it's a shame but that's how it is.
>>
>>11106918
that's why there's both blocking and jump dodges. No-hit runs are doable
>>
Kouryuu no mimi
Try all the moves to find your i-frames and remember that activating your powered up form is also how you heal.
>>
>>11106448
I like this kind much better to be honest
I would much prefer a beat em up to basically just be a PVE version of Street Fighter
>>
>>11108139
Not complaining, they nailed the design while still incorporating og Ninja Warriors mechanics.
>>
>>11107807
Can you give a QRD on each of the 3 characters in Ninja Warriors?
>>
>>11106448
the snes xmen game definitely fits. I'm not a fan of it but not specifically for being a single plane beat em up.
>>
>>11108431
I will give you a QRD on 3 versions, since the characters themselves don't vary much outside of visuals for the SNES version, the remake is the one that overhauled the characters. Note all games have basic attack, neutral jump, somersault and blocking.

>Arcade
- Entire stage was free scrolling with no blockades (meaning if you were good enough, you could just rush til the boss door for the next stage)
- Game system revolves around score + time attack
- Kunoichi only
- Special move is throwing shurikens (limited amount, recovered from defeating special foes)

>Again (SNES)
- Each screen is now blocked off with kill rooms, you need to kill all enemies to proceed. Enemies will frequently back out OOB, dmg is reduced if you hit off screen
- Game system revolves around score + time attack
- Ninja, Kunoichi, Kamaitachi playable
- Not much difference outside of visuals and combo speed
- 3 characters now have a 3-tap combo with a finisher (that can be enhanced by charged gauge), secondary longer range attack (down+jump) and special move is now screen clearing bomb (charged, but you lose it if you get knocked down if not fully charged)

>Once Again (PC/PS4 remake)
- Same stage limitations as SNES version
- Removed score, left only time attack for some reason
- Overhauled THE FUCK out of 3 playable characters
- All can do charged ranged special, each character has its own unique properties (kunoichi throws shurikens, ninja does long range nunchuck spin, kamaitachi shoots spikes out of his back)
- All can do charged in-air special
- All can do enhanced throws (down+attack)
- 2 new characters added with completely different playstyle and gimmick
- Raiden is transforming mech that is the height of the entire screen (like 4 times the size of the enemy), charged meter is used for special attacks during transformed mode
- Yaksha - charged meter is used to fly up and/or grab enemies with extending arms, can propel them off or yourself with it
>>
File: 1721758767186.jpg (232 KB, 1280x720)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>11106450
Only a tranny deals in absolutes!
>>
I'm fine with them, but I view them as an entirely different genre, like a lightgun game versus a rail shooter like Star Fox. Similar idea, but very different mechanics and playstyles.
>>
>>11108719
Underrated
>>
>>11108719
I kek'd.
>>
>>11106625
Splatterhouse is a beat em up, so is Bad Dudes. Being able to move in and out just means it's a beat em up that's a belt scroller.
>>
>>11106448
The remake was great. Batman Returns has single plane moments and that one's pretty fun.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.