[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sddefault.jpg (19 KB, 640x480)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Thoughts on games sending you back to the beginning of the level or game when you game over? Do you use save states to remedy this or just play as intended?
>>
It's fine, getting sent back to the title screen though...
>>
>>11106693
Oh wait I'm retarded nevermind, you mentioned it
>>
>>11106693
Yes. Not even Ghosts n’ Goblins does this. Super Mario 1 gets a pass because of 1 ups, as do arcade games like Pac-Man and Tetris, among others.
>>
>>11106698
>Not even Ghosts n’ Goblins does this
Doesn't it? I think it does, the Japanese version doesn't have continues that's for sure
>>
>>11106707
It does, it’s just one of those where you need to enter a code to do it
>>
>>11106670
It all depends on the length of the game. If it's easy to beat in a sitting then it's probably meant to be replayed multiple times so starting at the beginning after dying makes sense. If it's a long game and there is no save or password feature then it's just a waste of time.
>>
Zelda II doesn't send you back to the beginning of the game. You retain your levels and items permanently. The punishment for hitting game over is losing your location and EXP, which is reasonable.
>>
>>11106670
i play PC shooters with only one save per level and they're still boring easy
>>
>>11106873
>UMMM ACHSUALLY YOUR EXAMPLE DOESN'T DO THIS
please go. Obviously I was just referring to any game that sends you back far enough that is becomes an annoyance. If you game over at a dungeon boss, the you need to do the whole dungeon again minus getting the item.
>>
>>11106670
depends on if there's limited continues. in zelda 2 it's fine because you get new ways to move through the overworld, until you get to the second continent which is kinda tedious but whatever
>>
File: a0039562244_10.jpg (172 KB, 1200x1200)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>11106670
It depends...

If I'm playing something that's both difficult and long, then getting sent back to the title screen if you're late into the run is just... downright evil. If I'm playing something short then it's forgiveable in comparison. It can go both ways, if I play more comfortable titles that don't offer a struggle, the thread of getting sent back at least spices things up a bit, it's a matter of having proper balance...

I've been playing The Terminator video games recently... the Mega Drive/Master System one was 10 to 15 minutes long, and only gave you one life... and it worked, it made a lot of sense.

I gave the SNES version a try, and it was around 45 minutes long, 5 lives, no continues, and a ton of instant death BS design... it was 10x worse, it having more lives... didn't help in the slightest.
>>
game over

return of ganon

everyone you ever knew is dead

its all your fault
>>
>>11106948
>randomly playing through Terminator games
Every Terminator platformer from this era is a shit sandwich, except for Terminator 1 on Genesis (and the longer Sega CD version) , Robocop vs Terminator and Journey to Silius (lost the terminator license during development but play this fun game with Terminator vibes instead of fucking slop)
>>
>>11107073
I know, though my impressions were more positive than what I was expecting when I decided to go through with this to be fair.

Mega Drive: A 10 minute video game with no extra lives, nor continues... but it works, with tough, but ultimately fair, difficulty... when it sent me back to the start every time, I always managed to have this rush of wanting to try it again immediately, because I knew it was very short, victory always seems near. It's not really anything special, but for what it is... I like it lots.

Master System/Game Gear: I was afraid that the weaker hardware would make it way worse, and while the performance truly is awful... playing it isn't all that bad. It's worse than the Mega Drive one, don't get me wrong, but for what it is? It's a fair downgrade with unique level design that'll set it apart if you've already played the one on Mega Drive, it stands on it's own and it's decent.

NES: I didn't hate it at first, then I played more and started hating it, then I cheated to learn it and things opened up in a way that made if fun again. It's not good, but it's not the worst either.

SNES: This is the worst, even with cheats and all it's still cheap and annoying to play, and with it being superior hardware it had no excuse being worse than the NES one. This was real garbage.

Mega CD: I haven't played it yet, the SNES one burned me out completely, but I'll get around to it eventually since I hear it's essentially the Mgga Drive one, I already like, but 10x better aswell.
>>
File: f13.png (75 KB, 480x360)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>11106956
>>
File: 1709088767794622.jpg (56 KB, 640x606)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>11106670
zelda 2 is utterly retarded with this and watching the game's apologists pretend to like this stupid system is embarrassing but unfortunately part for the course with this fanbase that, lets be honest, mostly consists of people who have never (and will never) play the game but they are nuzelda fags who want to larp as being "hardcore"
>>
>>11106698
Super Mario lets you start again at the world uou reached doesn't it? As long as you don't turn the Nintendo off? Or am I mistaken
>>
>>11107103
I think you need to hold a button or button combination when you get the game over in order to retain your world progress.
>>
>gets Game Over
>game is over
>zoomer: "wow bugged game mechanics"
>>
>>11107113
in zelda 2 the game isnt over, you just have to go back to the beginning and get buttfucked by endless shit tier random encounters where you immediately exit the screen by running to the left or right. no one plays them, no one enjoys them, but everyone apologizes for them. i hate this game's fanbase so much its unreal
>>
Being set back to the starting position upon dying is NOT the worst part of that shit ass game.
I love Zelda 1 and have beaten it multiple times, but I cannot play Zelda 2 for more than a few minutes without getting bored out of my mind.
>>
>>11106670
>Thoughts on games sending you back to the beginning of the level or game when you game over?
We should bring that back.
>>
>>11106670
Weren't shitting blood enough today so this is what you have to complain about?

All zoomers are human garbage.
>>
File: 1696601589375489.jpg (80 KB, 720x729)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>11106670
>If I'm playing something decent:
I'll keep going and doing what I can, learning all of the ins and outs that I need to improve and in the end finish it legit, this often leads to a quite rewarding experience that I'll recall and cherish.

>If I'm playing something subpar:
I'll either give up if there are too few redeeming qualities, or use cheat codes and/or save states if there are good elements that make me want to at least get to the end, even if not in a legit way.
>>
The map in Zelda II is honestly so small that I don't care. Though I do have to say, dying in Zelda 1 felt better.
>>
>>11106670
I use save states because I'm not at an arcade that needs to have quarters fed into it nor a kid whose parents only buy him one game a season who needs to make it last.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.