[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Ridge_Racer_Coverart.png (192 KB, 244x408)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
how do you actually drift in this game
>>
release throttle for more than a second
press brake if needed to force it
countersteer if the car starts turning too much
eventually throttle again gently
>>
>>11106992
Yeah this, just destabilize the car like in any other game. In the arcade it's a bit more natural because of the analog controls.
>>
>>11106992
my problem is usually when coming out of the drift though, for some reason i keep losing a ton of speed
>>11107010
i wonder if there's any way to get analog controls on the ps1 version, without something like a negcon i mean, though I guess that can be emulated?
>>
>>11107051
>i wonder if there's any way to get analog controls on the ps1 version, without something like a negcon i mean, though I guess that can be emulated?
Yes you can emulate a NegCon using a normal gamepad
>>
>>11107051
>my problem is usually when coming out of the drift though, for some reason i keep losing a ton of speed
The more angle and the longer you drift you'll lose more speed, so the idea is to gentle drift, just enough for the corner. You can also try playing by grip only but it's kinda of hard to avoid drifting, maybe try braking without releasing the throttle.
>>
approach turn
brake
turn into the curve
immediately accelerate out of curve
>>
>>11106963
you can’t. everyone itt is talking shit. you can use brakes or let off gas but there is no actual drifting to be found in this game
>>
>>11107145
oh look it's the tryhard tard
>>
The original Ridge Racer first introduced the drifting mechanics. Players will slide around a corner using the aforementioned techniques.

Due to the quirks of the drift physics, a technique called a 360 drift can be performed. No benefits are received from doing so; it is meant for show.
>>
>>11107178
Absolute dimes
360 drifts on the PS1 and N64 look so fresh
>>
My favorite thing about the original RR is that once you unlock the Black Devil machine, you no longer need to drift at all and can do the TT course full throttle. The grip is unreal. I think I managed to get under a minute once but you can go way lower.
>>
>>11107187
you never needto drift, period. it doesn’t give you any advantage
>>
When you start a drift in ridge racer, say, to the left, imagine a timer that lasts about ~4 seconds. The car starts sliding as it locks on to the track like it's on rails, and depeding on how much it's turning during the drift, you have to turn it to the right for about a brief moment, about second or less. This will generate momentum in that direction, which you'll then have to cancel out as the car turns to the right by pulling it back to the left a little bit, then cancel that by pulling it to the right an even smaller amount, until you straighten the car with the road. If you do it with precision, the drift timer will end with barely any speed loss, but if you don't straighten out quickly enough, you'll lose a lot of speed and maybe even drive straight into a wall.
It's kinda like steering a ship - once you see it veering one way, you have to throw it to the opposite side with a lot of force to readjust it quickly, but that force you use will surely send it veering way off to the opposite side, so you have to start canceling out that hard turn right after you do it.
It's kind of instinctive but once you get the hang of it you won't forget.
>>
>>11107437
it’s utterly useless and you can win without it, there is more chance of it ruining your race than the drifting in rr type 4 which is easy and gives you a boost.
>>
>>11106963
Idk but this generation might be my new favorite
>>
File: 1701400481067.jpg (275 KB, 1154x780)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>11106963
You drift by actually using a real car.

>>11107187
>My favorite thing about the original RR is that once you unlock the Black Devil machine, you no longer need to drift at all and can do the TT course full throttle. The grip is unreal. I think I managed to get under a minute once but you can go way lower.

Once you unlock the full scale, you can never go back.
>>
>>11107613
Did it even have force feedback? Like what's the point
>>
>>11107619
Ridge Racer 1 and Ridge Racer 2 didn't have official force feedback. That feature wasn't created until Rave Racer.

Although I do remember the steering wheel on the Full Scale had a pseudo force feedback. It wasn't loose. The wheel would have some heft to turn it, and would try to recenter itself. The turning radius was also slightly different compared to the regular arcade machines.

Also the attendant for the machine warned us that you shouldn't pick manual transmission unless you actually know how to drive manual in real life. The Full Scale game was configured differently than the regular game. It wouldn't shift correctly in game unless you knew how to drive manual and use the clutch. It was more challenging to play.

Full Scale also blew air through the vents on the dash board in your face. The air speed was variable would change depending on how fast you would go in game.

The radio controls actually changed the music in the game during the race.

The music pumped throigh the car speakers, and additional speakers all around you. Gotta love surround sound.
>>
File: negcon.jpg (278 KB, 2256x1396)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>11106963
Drifting's locked off unless you sue a negcon.
>>
>>11107237
It's the only realistic way to beat the black car in the TT with some cars, drift perfectly drags you round the corners which means the fast ones that usually have crap turning are actually useable for the job.
>>
>>11107735
>The wheel would have some heft to turn it, and would try to recenter itself.
So just like the original I guess, some springs but no feedback.
>The Full Scale game was configured differently than the regular game. It wouldn't shift correctly in game unless you knew how to drive manual and use the clutch
That's cool, wonder if they reworked some of the physics too
>>
>>11107460
>it's utterly useless
It's meant to be fun, not a tool to maximize your chances at winning the game.
>>
>>11107805
>So just like the original I guess, some springs but no feedback.
No. The Full Scale car was harder to turn compared to the arcade machine.
>>
>>11107613
Where can I play this arcade cab?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.