[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1707283526083762.png (2.08 MB, 850x1198)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
I finished Resurrection lately and had a lot of fun with it, so I want to check out the rest of the series. What'd be the best retro GnG? Should I try out one of the arcade versions, or one on a console instead?
>>
>>11107275
Ghosts 'n Goblins (arcade/Saturn/PS1), Ghouls 'n Ghosts (arcade/Saturn/PS1/Genesis), and Super G'n'G (SNES/Saturn/PS1) are all great games, but Ghouls 'n Ghosts is probably the one most people would like best, though I like Super most
>>
Second game is peak, perfect difficulty, controls and pace, 1 is dated and Super kinda drags.
>>
Makaimura (Ghosts n Goblins) Arcade Rev. G is the best one and really the only one worth playing. There is some jank to get past, but it has a very high skill ceiling and a lot of secrets.

The second one is borderline kusoge, the difficulty, level design, and boss design are really sloppy and all over the place, the chest system is really annoying, the weapon balance is even worse and they force shitty weapons on you even more than the first game. It's easier than the first game, but somehow manages to be more bullshit and frustrating despite that.
>>
>>11107353
>filtered by the chest systm
lmao
>>
Play all of them, they're all great, even Ultimate GnG on PSP is fantastic so is the newest gng resurrection. There's also a great fan game called Ghost's n Demons which is a remake of the wonderswan gng.

the one I replay the most is Super GnG on snes though, no particular reason I just like the flow and movement of the game once you have a good route memorized
>>
>>11107363
Not filtered it's just annoying. I hate memorizing dozens of different chest spawns, I hate having to think where each checkpoint cutoff is and then mentally count how many chests I've seen since then, they always get in the way, and they punish you for being in boxers form to the point where you basically don't even bother engaging with them and just rush to get the stage over with. The game is easier and caps at the second loop so the skill ceiling is too low for them to even matter, so they are just a nuisance.
>>
>>11107383
>I hate memorizing dozens of different chest spawns,
it's literally 4
>I hate having to think where each checkpoint cutoff is
except you don't have to? when you spawn on a checkpoint the order is just the same as when starting the stage.
>and they punish you for being in boxers form to the point where you basically don't even bother engaging with them
oh so you don't know the chest system.
>The game is easier
Only compared to the hard version of the original, the easy jap revision? nah
>>
I never bothered to figure out how the chest system works, I just smash em open and if there's a wizard I put a lance and/or dagger in his stupid face because he's a dumb wizard and I'm playing as a cool knight.
>>
>>11107275
Big fan of Ghouls n Ghosts, played it first on the Mega Drive, but later found that the better port is on the Super Grafx (Daimakimura I think). My favourite stage is the second one (I think it's the music for some reason that does it for me) with the flaming mill and Demon Dog boss.
Not a fan of Super Ghost n Goblins, and much prefered Demons Crest, so if you're keen on playing a SuperNES title I would urge you to play that over Super GnG.
>>
File: GnG_MD_JP_Box.jpg (689 KB, 3195x2026)
689 KB
689 KB JPG
>>11107275
I dunno but the JP Mega Drive box art is god tier
>>
File: chest system.png (184 KB, 608x444)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>>11107449
>it's literally 4
4 for every checkpoint...
>except you don't have to? when you spawn on a checkpoint the order is just the same as when starting the stage.
the cycle resets at stage beginning and at mid checkpoint. So you have to remember where each chest is, the order based on your armor status, when the last checkpoint was, and how many you've seen since then.
>oh so you don't know the chest system.
Pic related is the chest system. The frustrating nature of it (filled with wizards and penalty weapons, later tiers are worthless, basically worthless in the second loop) means you rarely interact with it.
If you're in boxers, you just ignore the chests until the end of the level and get your armor back because the risk of uncovering the chests is higher than the reward from getting the armor back slightly earlier. The only exceptions is the ice section and final level where you basically get all four chests for free anyways.
If you're in silver armor, you just open the second chest for gold armor.
If you're in gold armor, you just open the second chest if and only if you need a weapon (most of the time it's a penalty weapon though).
On second loop I don't even interact with the chests at all just because dealing with weapon cycles is such a headache, that I just use the Psycho Cannon the entire second loop. The only boss a bit harder with Psycho Cannon is the green slug boss, and honestly the Psycho Cannon makes the Arremers directly afterwards easier than the knife makes that bossfight.
>Only compared to the hard version of the original, the easy jap revision? nah
I played Japanese versions for both. Rev. G is the most common version of the first one.
>>
Also the lance feels nerfed from the first game. The damage feels the same or weaker than the dagger, so the dagger just feels like a huge upgrade. The other four weapons are just all awful and worthless, much worse than even the lance.
>>
>>11107353
What does Rev G do differently? Also see a Rev C ROM floating around
>>
>>11107476
>the cycle resets at stage beginning and at mid checkpoint
That's what I said, and each stage has 1 checkpoint, not rocket science.
>The frustrating nature of it
It's not that hard to learn and then it works on your advantage, like opening the 4th for silver armor, then going back to 2th for gold and finally 3rd for psycho cannon.
The real danger are enemy drops but the most dangerous one near the final boss can be despawned anyway.
>that I just use the Psycho Cannon the entire second loop.
Saving it for the last stage is better but yeah you need to learn the chest order first
>>
>>11107514
Final stage only has only one midboss and the Satans are much easier, they take like 1/3 or 1/4 hits. Probably other stuff I don't remember but the final stage alone makes G rev much easier.
>>
>>11107514
A lot of things, mostly changing the difficulty of stage 6. So much so that the us version is basically the hard mode of the game. https://tcrf.net/Ghosts'n_Goblins_(Arcade)
>>
>>11107524
>>11107527
Neat, I'll give that one a shot first, I figure Resurrection would've been relatively easy compared to the original games, so this might help.
>>
>>11107514
https://tcrf.net/Ghosts%27n_Goblins_(Arcade)

It's basically the same as C. It just doesn't have the boss scroll bug (used to kill the dragon bridge boss), and it has one unicorn instead of two on the final stage. Superplayers just use the bug to bypass them anyways since the two unicorns is mostly just bullshit and you can take unavoidable damage due to RNG.

The US/World versions have double health Satans, the dual unicorns, an alarm bug, and I think the US version has higher starting rank (not sure about World).

The JP version definitely feels better, and it loops infinitely anyways with the rank maxing out in loop 4 I believe (but you stop getting lives at 1m).

Ignore these shitters >>11107524 >>11107527 basically no one plays the shitty US versions.
>>
>>11107554
filtered weeb who never cleared the real version of the game, sad
>>
>>11107527
>So much so that the us version is basically the hard mode of the game
man you read some of the stupidest shit here. post clears
>>
ive cleared daimakaimura and super ghouls 'n ghosts without taking a death. I've been reluctant to do a deathless og ghosts n goblins run though....
I guess I should get onto it!!
>>
>>11107902
Probably one of the most satisfying clears once you manage to do it. Took me months of playing a few runs every day to finally pull it off.
>>
>>11109593
I've 1cced it several times but never no-miss
that's the tricky part for me
>>
>>11107456
superb art

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.