[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are your favourite retro soccer/football games?
If you don't have any, have you considered giving a shot to the genre?
>>
>>11107432
for me it's PES 2008 released in late 2007
>>
Sensible Soccer.
>>
>>11107432
Megaman soccer and battle soccer 2. I mainly like them because you can watch the computers battle each other which is just funny on megaman but in battle soccer 2, there's so many different crazy teams it's actually fun to watch.
>>
>>11107432
Which one offers unprecedented customization or some kind of wacky, detailed campaign?
>>
>>11107458
spbp
>>
All on the Amiga:
Emlyn Hughes Internationl Soccer
Kick Off 2
Sensible World of Soccer
>>
>>11107432
Winning Eleven 3: Final Ver. (PS1)

All of the major PES and even FIFA titles take it from this one... Winning Eleven '97 set the core for what a football video game should be, but I think it was still quite rough, this one though... they polished it to perfection. It play such good football that you can enjoy it as both an arcade fan or simulation fan, just turn the speed up or down, the foundation's so good that it's just fun.
>>
LUV ME SUM MATCH DAY ON ME SPECCY

SIMPLE AS
>>
>>11107432
The N64 version specifically. I remember being absolutely blown away by the graphics at the time. Especially night games with snowy weather. I first played it in my local indie games store and then bought it not long after. It's still fun to play now, although obviously it's very arcadey and not a simulation.
>>
File: norf.png (8 KB, 579x536)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>11107989
>luv' me amiga
>luv' me football
>luv' me town
>luv' me club
>luv' me ingerland
>>
>>11107442
had that one and pes 2009 on the ps2. they were kinda shitty compared to pes 6...
>>
File: 1000090382.jpg (99 KB, 750x1000)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
I remember when I was a kid I had fifa2002 at home, it was awesome, way more sophisticated than whooohooo98

and then I got harassed by PES weirdos
>>
>>11107432
just yesterday i was try to find some pes iso, you know a good site where i can find it?
Btw for me the best is pes 5 is the best soccer/football simulation
>>
>>11108849
Internet Archive?
>>
>>11108679
Hey now, sensible soccer was an all time classic.
>>
>>11108721
He's saying that PES 6 is too new to be considered retro and he's using the very last elegible game in the series ironically to point that out.
>>
File: capcomsoccershootout.png (162 KB, 320x213)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
This was my favorite as a kid.
>>
>>11109439
the absolute best. ISS Deluxe is brilliant.

FIFA 99 was peak arcade FIFA imo. 98 had way more soul, but 99 refined the gameplay to peak FIFA.
Ironically, the Super League was a very fun game mode, while football fans all over Europe hate the idea put forth by some clubs. It's fine as long it's not real, I guess
>>
sports games have a lifespan of 365 days
there's no point playing any of them
>>
>>11107432
You posted it. Still playing to this day
>>
>>11107432
FIFIA 98 RUMBO AL MUNDIAL on PSX, it has "futbol sala" football indoor.
>>
>>11107432

Had a soft spot for this - more due to childhood memories.
>>
File: 1686454319618569.jpg (72 KB, 750x829)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>11109792
I couldn't disagree more. A lot of enthusiasts are still playing older versions, not just due to having nostalgia, though that is a factor, but because, as odd as this sounds, some of them play way better than the current titles. If you're an arcade fan, or simulation fan, you might feel that a newer title leans in too heavily towards the side you're not a fan of, while an older title did the opposite of it.

One more reason they are fun is because they'll act as a time capsule after those 365 days, when you want to play an older season with squads or kits you liked, players who've retired, it's so fun!
>>
I played this demo like more thatn 20 years ago.
It was okish at best.
>>
Mate, I really miss when Sony tried to do the things right.

Going for that sweet cake full of money that was Football games, at that time EA Sports and Konami were KINGS.
>>
Also this eternal classic loved in Europe and Hispano América.
>>
Sega also tried to get sweet money from Football games:

Virtua Striker
WWS series
90 MINUTES
uefa striker

and I am sure I am forgetting some sega's football games.
>>
Back then even games were backed by famous football players like Michale Owen, Ronlado (the good one) and so many others.
>>
>>
>>11112170
90 Minutes was such a disappointment. As someone who only had a Dreamcast at the time, I was so hyped to finally have a football game that looked like it was going to compete with PES. It had the graphics, the modes, the teams, it was developed in-house like the good Sega Worldwide Soccer games on the Saturn... and yet it played like absolute shit. Stilted controls, horrible input lag and godawful AI. Still one of my biggest game purchase regrets.

The Dreamcast was a wasteland for football games. Virtua Striker 2 was OKAY for what it was, but that's to say a simplistic arcade game with zero variety.
>>
>>11112170
I can't believe they got in silicon Dreams to do their world wide soccer games. That world league soccer shit on saturn was pants and the fact they then used this as a basis for wws on dreamcast was tragic. What the hell happened to the guys who did the saturn worldwide soccer games?
>>
>>11112405
those world league soccer also came to PSX months later than in sega saturn.
>>
>>11112171
obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgy4XNYvlLE

why did he even bother
>>
When it comes to 2D, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe was king.

When it comes to 3D, game in OP is a great choice, but you can't really go wrong with any of the pervious PES either.

Honourable mention to FIFA 98, which was the first enjoyable 3D footy game on PC
>>
>>11113393
Yes and n64 too
>>
File: iss pro evolution soccer.jpg (762 KB, 1920x1920)
762 KB
762 KB JPG
best 'PRO era
>>
>>11107432
I liked pes 5 more. I've played both of them extensively (I was top 10 online in one of them).
>>
>>11108849
>>11114597
It's crazy to think that PES 5 was the peak of the genre in terms of realism and the new stuff is so much more arcade like in how it plays compared to it. I miss getting fouled by the CPU and taking free kicks more than once in a 10 minute match...
>>
Goal Goal Goal for the neo-geo
>>
>>11114597
senpai! qrd on how to get better in PES 5? I've got good enough to get uruguay to 5 stars WC finals, yet I'm missing the edge to finally make it

for everyone else itt, dont look any further, PES 5 is the game, next to WE2000 and ISSSD
>>
Anyone ever played this game?
>>
Played the shit out of this one with my dad, brother and friends. Later found out it never came out of japan and it was a fan patched english version
>>
File: 72384_front.jpg (134 KB, 640x911)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>11115631
Forgot pic
>>
Arcade;
Tehkan World Cup
Mexico 86

Genesis;
FIFA 95
Sensible Soccer
World Cup Italia 90
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe

Playstation;
Winning Eleven
France 98
>>
File: 30096_front.jpg (63 KB, 640x640)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>11107432
I played a lot of FIFA 2001, 2002 and 2005 back in the day on PC. Those soundtracks were fire.
Once I got a PS2, I became a PES enjoyer. The gameplay was overall better than FIFA and felt like a natural evolution of the Winning Eleven formula (which I also played a lot on PS1).

Special mention to Virtua Striker; wish SEGA did more with it.
>>
ISS 64
Virtua Striker 2
Super Sidekick 3
>>
File: 15847_front.jpg (34 KB, 490x500)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>11116224
On the other hand, pic related is firmly among the worst games I've played. Sad thing is, I know for sure there are even worse football games out there.
>>
>>11108849
Check out CDRomance, months ago I used it to get some of the lesser know Winning Eleven versions and they had a lot.
>>
>>11112405
They were probably cheap to hire and Sega was busy dying at the time. Silicon Dreams shat out 14 terrible football games in the 9 years they existed, all using the same basic engine. They even had the Champions League license for four seasons.
>>
>not one mention of Nintendo World Cup

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.