[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is requiring special weapons to be used in order to complete the game bad design?
>>
>>11107785
No. Imposing retarded challenges on yourself and then kvetching on the internet as if thats how the game was meant to be played is pure autism though
>>
>>11107785
games should just praise you for five minutes while showing cheevos and big numbers and then roll the credits. save the rest for post-game which does not need to be reviewed or discussed
>>
>>11107785
No
>>
If you can’t name ALL of those weapons and identify at least one that is missing, you don’t know anything about Mega Man.
>>
>>11107785
A zoomer retard who doesn't play games for fun isn't qualified to criticize "game design".
>>
>>11107785
I would say so. What happens if the player gets to the boss without said weapon charged? Do they need to do the level all over again just because they used the wrong weapon during the stage?
>>
>>11107785
You don't have to use them in order or even at all
>>
File: 1672686231134631.jpg (78 KB, 509x184)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
i only play vidya where n-bombs are mandatory
>>
>>11108098
Uhhh I think Sakugarne is missing?
>>
>>11107785
>>11108098
>>11108367
I never use the special weapons in Mega Man because it's too annoying to have to hit Start, select the weapon, press start again, shoot it, then unequip it. Exception goes when it's necessary to progress.

Using special weapons feel like wasting resources, which I might need later.
>>
>>11107785
No. Why would it be bad design to use the elements in the game that you put in the game? I'd say its bad design if there's no reason to use special weapons/items, or if their use is heavily limited and good design to make the game possible to beat without them (not necessarily better, just good).

But I wouldn't say that requiring their use is bad design. That's just silly.
>>
>>11107785
Yes. Weapons are there to make things easier, but the game should still be beatable with the default buster alone.
>>
>>11108862
dont pretty much all the games require special weapons/items to progress once you beat the main bosses? at that point the game knows you have all the weapons so it would be kinda dumb to not require you to use them
>>
>>11108821
Yeah. And when you do bother switching to a weapon, you'll find out it randomly tinks off of the second enemy you try. With exceptions like metal blade, I can't be arsed with trial-and-erroring all my weapons unless I'm stuck, so megabuster all the way. Especially from 4 onwards when charge shot mogs the other weapons anyway. Crazy that it took until X4 / 8 to make weapons fun to use.
>>
>>11108895
Some do, not all of them.
>>
>>11107785
Requiring items obtained from beating obstacles previously required to progress, such as bosses, is good game design.
The magnet beam was questionable design, and I don't think they pulled a gimmick like that again for a while, for good reason. Get that Zelda shit out of here.
Requiring special weapons to hurt a boss at all would be bad game design in a game where you have multiple lives but you cant recharge the weapon each death.
>>
>>11107790
You didn't beat dark souls
>>
>>11109031
i never even played that slop

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.