[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pcenginestirder.jpg (40 KB, 480x360)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
This port is humorously bad.

>Graphics are shitty and the developer's make odd color choices.

>Hiryu cannot shift his direction while crouching. If you press a direction while crouching, you are walking. This makes attacking small waves of enemies very annoying.

>Hiryu's slash hitbox appears to be smaller. You can no longer attack many of the small foes while standing.

>Momentum is really screwy. Hiryu goes super fast on all slopes with no build up

>Certain animations are misplaced. Hiryu's falling animation is now his jumping one.

>Random desert level that is so shitty the devs allowed you to disable it.

The only good things about this port seems to be the CD music and cutscenes.
>>
who cares
you can play the original version in mame nowadays
you don't need to rely on some shitty port
>>
>>11107903
I just find it interesting, obviously.
>>
>>11107891
Need arcade enhancement card
>>
>>11107891
Don’t forget…
>All bosses but the last one have the same music now
>>
>>11108194
Thankfully I like that track, but it does remove some of the cinematic feel the CPS1 original had.

I was never really sold on the early CD music. The lack of looping in the early CD games really kills the vibe I think.
>>
>>11107891
>The only good things about this port seems to be the CD music and cutscenes.

Nah, the Ps1 port had better arranged music if you are into that, plus all the characters are now dubbed in japanese, whereas the arcade has them speak in their native languages (or they tried........)
>>
File: 1720451593221896.jpg (116 KB, 800x800)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>11109394
>I was never really sold on the early CD music. The lack of looping in the early CD games really kills the vibe I think.

The sad thing is, for most of the CD gaming era, it kinda was like that with some minor exceptions, the Saturn was the only console capable of having CD-quality music work like proper in software tracker music notes and have proper infinite loops, like cart based consoles, but even so not all the games utilize it, in fact not even half of them, i am aware that for example the Saturn versions of X4 and SotN had not only actual looping music but the loopable parts were re-score-re-written to have better flow.

Correct me if i am wrong but, i think its because ALL the instruments samples are stored on the game's disc but the Saturn's internal sound driver has a tracker that plays loads them and plays them as a song? All of this while the original PSX version just use tricks like forcing the file to start playing from a timestamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWTgLf-piE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvve0X8IGM

Some later Ps1 figure out how to make music loop without that much audio compression but that was around post 2000s i think.

But then during the Saturn and Ps2 for some reason they got lazy and just made longer audio streams of the music file in particularly running for like 10-13 or 30 minutes but then abruptly re-starts with no fade out (the Megaman X Collection from PS2 is a perfect example, you can play MMX1-3 with no slowdown, SPECIALLY x2, but it takes you away when music all the sudden abruptly resets)
>>
>>11107891
What's your favourite Strider port?
>>
>>11107891
it should have been much better considering how good the forgotten worlds port was

4 and a half years of development hell for this
don't forget it runs in 30 fps AND much of the soundtrack is missing

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.