[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Where'd you start?

As far as owning goes, I started with the NES, but my cousin had a 2600 we played and my neighbors dug up an old pong machine when we was kids.

Then I had a TurboGrafx and a Neo Geo home system, then I had a PlayStation, then I had a Dreamcast and PS2, then a 360, then I dropped out of the console wars and went full of PC Gaman Mustard Rice
>>
had a nes since i was born, but i also grew up playing a bit of 2600 and colecovision.
>>
From 90 to 93 I played with my older cousin's consoles (Atari 2600, Mega Drive, Game Boy). In 1993 I got my own Mega Drive.
>>
>>11108465
going from the nes to turbografx/neo geo without getting a snes or genesis is crazy.
>>
For me? Coleco.
>>
Mega Drive>N64>Gamecube
We ended up with a PSone and PS2 eventually but those were my first and main consoles of each gen growing up
>>
>>11108465
First consoles were Super Nintendo and SEGA Genesis, did not play a single NES or SMS game until much later in life. Tapped out in 2010 and went back to fourth gen
>>
>>11108465
these generation timeline charts are kinda bullshit. no one bought an nes in 2003 or a neo geo in 2004. not to mention seventh generation is probably still being supported since the xbox 360 marketplace doesn't go down for another 3 days
>>
>>11108465
I got a PS1 for my birthday in 1998. My brother had an N64. I think shortly after that I got a teal Game Boy Color. Before that I remember trying to play the DMG Game Boy we had, but I'm not sure if I did. We had an SNES when I was very young, but it was donated after we got the N64. I kinda wish I had an SNES growing up, especially for the Super Game Boy.
>>
>>11108465
NES > Gameboy > N64 > PS1 > Gamecube > GBA > Xbox > PS2 > PC
>>
>>11108536
It's a different culture in some countries who aren't so eager to drop everything for the latest new toy the minute it's released. Plenty of Japanese were pretty strong install bases that bought games for obsolete systems years after newer ones were already on the market as evidenced by major developers making big name titles for old systems like Mega Man and Kirby and still expecting good sales numbers.

It's probably based on the last licenced game released or something. Which is still bullshit in the case of the Third gen as most games last release was in 1994 and it was only fucking Brazilian junk on the Master System up until 1998.
>>
>>11108465
I was initiated on the C64 and arcade games, then early90s/late80s pc games and LCD handhelds were my first real games I cut my teeth on and as such, i have an extreme fondness for both of those still. Then at some point i also got a gameboy and played nes/genesis/snes stuff at friends and cousins. N64 was my first console and i also started buying up all the older stuff i wanted to own when it was cheap and people were basically giving it away. Kept up with buying every new console since the ps/saturn/64. PC was still my primary platform of choice until shit became a drm hellscape and all the pc genres i liked died out and pc gaming primarily became all about console ports and console like games, which at that point i rather just play on an actual console. The golden age of pc games is still the greatest era for me.
>>
>>11108465
Got a Nintendo 64 for my birthday in 2000. PSOne shortly after that (maybe Christmas 2000 I think?)

I believe I then got a PS2 for my birthday or Christmas in 2001, and a GameCube for my birthday or Christmas in 2002. It's hard to remember exactly.

In 2003ish I was gifted an old SNES + games that one of my cousins had, and got to experience some of the old classics.
>>
>>11108465
>Switch
>8th gen
Retro or not that's retarded, I don't care what trannies on Wikipedia say. Nintendo's 8th gen console was Wii U and handheld was 3DS. Switch was a combined effort of the two (really a handheld that can dock and abandonment of their home console line) and a clear mark of a new generation. Unless the cunts would also argue the DS is 6th gen?
>>
>>11108465
My timeline:

Commodore 128
NES
Game Gear
Genesis
32x
Nomad
SNES
PS1
Dreamcast
PS2
GameCube

NES is easily the best console of all time
>>
>>11108836
Calling the Switch a 9th gen console just sounds retarded though. It is in no way on par with the PS5 or Xbox Series X, and was released a full 3 years before them.

At best it's an 8.5th gen console. It was very clearly released in a panic because of how badly the Wii U had failed. If Wii U was a success then they would have waited til 2019 or 2020 and released a real 9th gen console.
>>
>>11108841
The Switch is a handheld, and in that sense it's clearly a generation ahead of the 3DS and Vita. Handhelds and home consoles have never had the same power level in the same generation.

Timing wise it's closer to 2020 (9th gen consoles) than 2012/13 (8th gen) as well. It will be even more obvious with the Switch 2. When it launches in 2025 the Wikis will list it as a 9th gen console, then a year later list the 2026 Xbox as 10th gen. Absurd.
>>
>>11108857
>The Switch is a handheld
It's not. It plugs into a TV and almost all of its games (especially Nintendo-made ones) are clearly console quality. It receives direct ports of games that the PS4 and Xbox also got, like Witcher 3 for instance. It's a console that can also be played in handheld, not an actual dedicated handheld.
>>
>>11108465
My brothers had an Atari 2600 I played a lot, but the first console I bought myself was a Dreamcast.
>>
>>11108864
It is, in terms of power and internal setup, exactly a handheld. Even the docked power is limited for the sake of keeping handheld mode light and low on battery use. The fact that it can get ports of games from the direct previous generation of home consoles speaks more to how much technological progress has slowed imo.
>>
>mom's genesis
>N64
>ps1
>ps2
>gamecube
>xbox
>wii
>360
>stop putting up with modern vidya at this point and start emulating
>>
>>11108465
>third gen, until 2003

What you smoking and where can I get some because that's some interesting shit
>>
>>11108465
Wii u and switch in the same gen huh, that's nice
>>
>>11108484
Oh! I had an snes I forgotnsorry
>>
File: 1716768817758094.jpg (448 KB, 789x789)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
>>11108465
Mega Drive/Genesis > PolyStation (Famicom/NES) > PlayStation > PlayStation 2 > PlayStation 3 > PlayStation 4 > PC (Emulation)
>>
>>11108465
>8th Switch
It's 9th gen though, this shit is flawed
>>
Born 1990
started third gen
fell in love 4th-6th gen
abused 7th gen
stopped giving a fuck about consoles 8th gen
>>
>>11108465
First generation, Atari VCS with "Basketball" in 1988.
>>
>>11108465
4th
aside from a few select games on the NES, 1st-3rd generations can be safely ignored
>>
>>11111134
what games should not be ignored in 1-3
>>
Started with a used Commodore 64.
Was the B&W Gameboy gen 3? I had one of those but rarely used it because it destroyed batteries and I soon got a
SNES
Used PS1 had to flip it upside down to read discs properly
PS2
Used Fat PS3 long after it came out, only because my PS2 died.
Stopped buying consoles after the PS3 died.
>>
Grew up in late 90s playing NES with my parents and started with N64 but only because i wanted the thing that had pokemon. Gamecube was the first time i had conscious thoughts of what games i actually wanted.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.