[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Its funny how every one bitched about the sprites being to big in this but every 16bit game afterwords does the same thing and never get called out
>>
>>11108572
Looks fine to me. Reminds me of the PS1 Mega Man/X games
>>
>imaginary scenario
>>
>>11108572
People did? Never heard that before.
Is OP a shitloving homo who likes to make up random shit to farm (You)s?
>>
no one is old enough in here to remember apparently.
>>
>>11108572
I literally wished every NES game had big sprites like this when I was little. contra, castlevania, rygar, you name it. now I realize some screen space is good so you should have giant characters running around, but I would never complain about this game or the other good looking NES games that had big sprites. I think there should have been more games like this but it doesnt mean that should have been the norm.
>>
No one did, you're just schizophrenic, and a faggot
>>
>>11109265
have you heard of ZADETTE
>>
>>11108572
I don't think anyone complained about that, everyone was gushing about "omg best-looking NES game evor, it looks like a 16-bit gaem" and so on and so forth.
>>
How the fuck did they do this on the NES anyway, that console has such stringent limitations with the amount of sprite blocks it can display.
>>
>>11109486
A SHIT LOAD of scanline trickery. Basically they use bankswitching to change the graphics on the fly. If you time it right you can create some insanely complex scenery without requiring hardware support for multiple layers or parallax scrolling. Return of the Joker is this technique at it's absolute peak.
>>
>>11109580
https://youtu.be/wt73KPS_23w?si=t_EB0mZKE4eHlmBN

Here's a video explaining some of the concepts at work.
>>
>>11108572
People complain about the "big sprite" in Mega Man 7 all the time.

It has been completely memory holed how big of a deal big characters were at the start of the 4th gen. Everyone knows everyone went batshit insane at the start of the 5th with "OMG THREE-DEE!", the start of the 4th was the same with "OMG BIG SPRITES" and to same extent the trned carried over to games being released on "previous gen" consoles.
>>
>>11108572
The problem isn't sprites being too big. The problem is the focus of the camera is too centered on the player. After you progress, there's no reason to look back. The camera should be at least 2/3 in front of the Batman, rather than 1/2.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
"look how much bigger ours are" was one of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx selling points originally
>>
>>11109849
Too bad that game is such a fucking piece of shit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.