[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2352.jpg (35 KB, 400x351)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Well, on this day 30 years ago, PulseMan was released on Sega Channel by GameFreak.
>>
>>11108673
Yeeeeeah i'm not a fan.
Cool chara design though.
>>
>>11108673
>"WATER CAN DESTROY PULSEMAN!"
>>
>Made by Game Freak
>Completely forgotten while people are still circlejerking about Pokemon all the time
it's not fair
>>
>>11108770
This
>>
>>11108673
>Zap to the Extreme!
>>
>>11108770
The only reason GameFreak didn't fold with dozens of other companies in the late 90s/early 00s was due to Pokemon. Because as a game developer? They SUCK! And yes, that includes Pokemon.

The only reason they are still around is because Pokemon is the most profitable and one of the most popular franchises on the entire fucking planet, AND they still need both Nintendo and Pokemon Co.'s help to pull it off. It's like every new Pokemon game is worse and buggier than the last, they know it will sell anyway so why should they care? Any time they tried to make a non-Pokemon game? Absolute best-case scenario it was incredibly average and forgotten in less than a month. Who even remembers HarmoKnight, Tembo, or Little Town Hero? I remember when it was announced that last one was not going to be Switch exclusive anymore and even the most diehard Nintendo fanboys did not give a single fuck when normally they flipped their shit if a Switch game went to another system. The only reason DrillDozer was remembered for a little bit was because of the assist trophy in Smash and the semi-cult status, but even that is forgotten now, and the game was still mediocre anyway.

This goes for Pulseman too, people only care about it because it's a game by "the Pokemon developer" from before they made Pokemon, and that it was on a at the time rival console. As a game it's ok at best.

No surprise people only talk about Pokemon, all their games suck, even Pokemon, just that unlike all the others Pokemon became a massive hit despite sucking and has the backing of both Nintendo and Pokemon Co. keeping them afloat.
>>
>>11108828
>The only reason DrillDozer was remembered for a little bit was because of the assist trophy in Smash
and the loli, let's not forget that
>>
>>11108828
Let's not forget Masuda refuses to have more staff, either younger or more experienced staff because he wants GameFreak to "remain a Doujin circle" despite the fact they have enough money to buy the whole state of New York.
>>
>>11108673
>>11108828
Not gonna lie, it’s kinda cool seeing a game with the same watermark artwork as Pokémon. It’s seeing like playing Chrono Trigger after years of watching DBZ.
>>
>>11108673
>cool art
>neat gimmick
>by like stage 2 the background is trying to give you seizures

I really want to play the game, but those backgrounds can be rough.
>>
>>11108892
don’t be such a pussy, anon.
>>
File: file.png (725 KB, 1280x569)
725 KB
725 KB PNG
>>11108770
>>11108828
This sucks, man. Pulseman is a genuinely great game, and certainly blows their recent non-Pokémon attempts the fuck out.
They could do literally anything with the IP, and it'd be guaranteed sales.
>>
>>11109007
Who's the Klaus Nomi looking dude?
>>
>>11109007
Sugimori REALLY wanted to be a professional manga artist, but instead his talents got squandered on drawing goofy video game critters because he couldn't say no to helping his friend Tajiri.
>>
>>11109026
Sugimori could've gone on to become a mangaka after Pokémon blew up, having that on his portfolio alone given its success would've made most magazines welcome him with open arms. It was his cripling self-doubt what sabotaged him.
>>
>>11109018
That's Doc Waruyama, mysterious leader of the Galaxy Gang, who plans to conquer the galaxy.
>>
>BE CAREFUL
>GREAT JOB! *winks*
>>
File: Pulseman.png (1.5 MB, 1024x768)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>11108673
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn7ZdDsD5p8
>>
>>11108673
why is he coming out of a box
>>
>>11108892
>>by like stage 2 the background is trying to give you seizures
best part of the game man, and it only gets worse/better!
>>
>>11109321
it's a computer monitor. the game's whole gimmick is pulseman travels between the real world and the computer world
>>
File: BushiSeiryudenBox.png (1.94 MB, 1216x2196)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
>>11108870
>Not gonna lie, it’s kinda cool seeing a game with the same watermark artwork as Pokémon.
Try Bushi Seiryuuden for the SFC. That game is BURSTING with classic Sugimori art.
A fan translation released a few years back and it's pretty well done.
>>
>>11109253
>Remoraid resembles the fish-gun used by a boss
>Pikachu line gets his Volteccer ("Volt Tackle") as a unique Egg move from Gen3 on
>Rotom resembles his head and shares his power of jumping through electronics
>Boltund's Japanese name is a play on his name ("Pulsewan")
It does feel like GameFreak wishes Pulseman became their big franchise instead of Pokemon.
>>
>>11108803
I will! Thank you father!
>>
>>11110416
I'm not sure if I should feel bad for Gamefreak or not. It honestly seems like they'd rather do anything other than Pokemon.
>>
>>11108770
>>11108828
>Slave yourself to billion dollar merchadise franchise
>Wonder why nobody's cares about your doujinsoft beginnings
Remember Mendel Palace? It's now a side quest in Pokemon RSE, even one of the bad characters is in the game's data.
>>
>>11109084
His backstory is insane.
https://youtu.be/Jn7ZdDsD5p8?si=1jGKiU2bNVKXNwjF
>>
>>11110416
Part of me wishes we could get a proper re-release (not NSO) or remake, but I don't trust Game Freak not to completely shit the bed with it.
>>
>>11110494
>Remember Mendel Palace?
... no?
>>
>>11109706
Based
>>
>>11110747
>Mendel Palace
Anon, that's a NES cult classic. You're missing out.
>>
>>11108673
>Well, on this day 30 years ago, PulseMan was released on Sega Channel by GameFreak.

It only ever got a physical cartridge release in Japan. In NA, SOA decided to skip this game, and just put it on Sega Channel instead, making it a digital only release. To my knowledge, it never got released in PAL regions. The game was really limited in its audience because of the Sega Channel exclusive release. The character would have been a lot less obscure if there were physical cartridge releases. It was re-released on Virtual Console and Switch. The game always seemed like a cross between Mega Man X and Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic did have a big influence on mascot platformers in the early to mid 90's.
>>
>>11110938
>It only ever got a physical cartridge release in Japan.
How good were the sales?
>>
>>11110938
Nice Wikipedia post.
>>
>>11110938
>>It only ever got a physical cartridge release in Japan.
>How good were the sales?

I'm not sure how well Mega Drive games were selling in Japan in 1994. There were publishers that picked this one up for the western market.
>>
>>11110512
Damn.... i din't know about this text.
he is kinda of a ripoff of Dr Tenma.
>>
>>11108770
At least it’s iconic volteccer lives on as Pikachu’s signature move
>>
>>11112953
Only in Japan. In the west it got renamed to "volt tackle" for some reason.
>>
>>11112334
Am I blind or does the screenshot second-from-the-top feature an earlier design for Pulseman than the others?
>>
>>11112783
>Dr. Tenma
WHO, really?
>>
File: Dr. Tenma 2003.jpg (33 KB, 756x466)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>11115459
NTA but I'm so worried about how classic anime is just forgotten now in this very website, of all places.
>>
https://youtu.be/w51g1Hw1_ts?si=o_J94c9At2hI-LOa

>shoots energy ball
>FUCK YOU
>FUCK YOU

Looks like a fun game
>>
>>11115435
>Am I blind or does the screenshot second-from-the-top feature an earlier design for Pulseman than the others?

Those are from an earlier build of the game. So they might be beta sprites. Also, it really wasn't uncommon for most gaming magazines to post beta or WIP screenshots of games. GameFan was pretty notorious for posting early screenshots.
>>
File: 2003 series.jpg (92 KB, 460x613)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>11115667
Who the fuck do I have to fuck at Tezuka Pro. and Sony to get the 2003 series fully subbed on bluray already? It was genuinely the best looking show of that era, and the DVD's don't do it any justice.
>>
>>11109007
Sugimori girls are pure sex
>>
>>11115757
There was a resub project and new HD rips, at least.
>>
File: MotokoClickMedic.png (11 KB, 139x208)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>11108673
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only two Japan-only retro Game Freak games that have text in them that do not have a fan translation yet are Magical Taruruuto-kun and Click Medic.
Magical Taruruuto-kun uses the same engine as Pulseman so the same tools used to give that game a translation should also work for MTK, but how feasible would a Click Medic translation be?
>>
>>11115435
>>11115732

Hell, it was even common for the screenshots on the back of the box itself or the manual to have screenshots from earlier versions of the game.
>>
>>11108770
No one cares about dogshit segaslop
>>
>>11116096
>Hell, it was even common for the screenshots on the back of the box itself or the manual to have screenshots from earlier versions of the game.

I swear, every Sonic the Hedgehog game released for the Genesis and Gamegear features a beta image of the title screen in the instruction booklets.
>>
>>11115435 (Me)
Never mind, it's just bad compression on his "looking up" sprite.
>>
File: Pulseman.gif (48 KB, 112x96)
48 KB
48 KB GIF
This thread reminds me, I was thinking of doing something in MUGEN. A proper conversion, perhaps?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.