[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

all these years I just thought it was a cash in mario kart clone

i thought it was shit

I THOUGH IT WAS SHIT!

its literally the game kart 64 SHOULD have been. even the fanfic roster has grown on me immensely, the mouse and badger fucking rule

>games you ignored as a child and find out decades later is surprise kino
>>
>>11108871
Diddy kong is definitely more enjoyable than mk64. Mario kart feels comparatively bare bones and disposable in comparison.
>>
>>11108871
Funny, I thought it was going to measure up to CTR, only for it to be the most aggressively infantile game I've ever seen. The controls are horrid, too, especially for the gimmick vehicles, and the power-ups are as bland and useless as it gets.
>>
It could have used more battle maps and items
It's criminal how there was no airplane battle map
>>
>>11108871
>all these years I just thought it was a cash in mario kart clone
>i thought it was shit
You were right
>>
>>11108871
its crazy how co-op story is a password
this feature alone kills mario kart 64
>>
>>11109201
The first battlemap is airplane only
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>11108913
i love this game and can concede the controls aren't great and the power-ups are pretty much garbage (although stacking balloons to get more powerful ones is a cool idea)...
but what makes it "aggressively infantile" to you? Some of the coin challenges get pretty hard, and it doesn't really seem any more infantile thematically than Mario Kart. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just wondering where you're coming from. Did anything in particular jump out to you as particularly childish (especially given the context of a 3d mascot kart racer)?
>>
>>11109442

OP here and this game is definitely not easy even as an adult, these boss rematches in particular making me rage.
>>
>>11109442
Compare how MK64, CTR and DKR are presented to the player.

MK64 is pretty barebones, starting off with motor noises, then has Mario welcome you before you go to choose your options and character by selecting buttons on a menu.

CTR has an epic lead-in where Aku Aku presents the developers before the characters all burst out of a crate, with story mode then presenting you with a cutscene before you go on to choose your character from their cool personalized garages.

In DKR, you get... a stock sound effect of giggling children, then a character select screen where the characters stand lined up and bob their heads in rhythm to a silly little ditty like it's a puppet show for toddlers. Basically, while MK64 and CTR are appropriate for children but targeted towards gamers of all ages, DKR has an actively patronizing tone to it that just screams "for little children ONLY".
>>
>>11110248

>got filtered by the character select screen because I can only play muh dark and edgy mature titles for grown ups
>>
File: 1656456906477.jpg (128 KB, 600x466)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>11110248
Anon, they're all cartoon characters. If you don't want to be "patronized" playing a mascot kart racer you've already lost.
>>
>>11110583
That's "matoore" rarebares for ya, they only play Goldeneye and think Conker was the funniest shit ever.
>>
Shame the framerate is ass unlike Mario Kart 64
>>
>>11108871
>bro you can race a heckin dinosaur!
Diddy kong racing is an actual baby game. I'm convinced that anyone who likes it never mentally progressed past their toddler mentality or just got filtered by CTR and mario kart.
>>
>>11110248
>DKR is stupid because of my insecurities
>>
>>11110248
>In DKR, you get... a stock sound effect of giggling children, then a character select screen where the characters stand lined up and bob their heads in rhythm to a silly little ditty like it's a puppet show for toddlers. Basically, while MK64 and CTR are appropriate for children but targeted towards gamers of all ages, DKR has an actively patronizing tone to it that just screams "for little children ONLY".
I've noticed the same thing in Banjo Kazooie. Yeah it's a game for kids, but do they have to make so obvious? It is patronizing.
>>
>>11109408
I meant ones where you are just trying to take down each other's health, not hatch dino eggs
>>
The most soulful music of an entire console generation, the overall design and gameplay is pretty fun, the controls aren't actually too bad when you get used to it. I WANT TO LIVE IN FROSTY VILLAGE SO BAD BROS
>>
>>11108871
they're different games.
MK64 is a streamlined racer with a focus on competitive play. DKR has MUCH greater gameplay variety at the expense of its difficulty/track complexity
>>
>suck at driving irl
>suck at racing cars
>murder everyone with the hovercraft and also good at Wave Race
What did I mean by this?
>>
>>11110771
this lmao, imagine seething at this game.
>captcha: G2DK
>>
>>11108871
I loved the game, even unlocked T.T.
>>
>>11108871
>I THOUGH IT WAS SHIT!
It was. Like every other Rareware game it relies on console-pushing visuals instead of fun gameplay.
>>
>>11111387
Eh nailing an overtake with a boost at the last second or getting sweaty hands trying to get all the coins on the last lap is pretty fun in a challenging way.
>>
>>11108871
I'm still amazed no mario kart after this took inspiration from adventure mode of this game.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.