[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Sagat-Street-Fighters.jpg (83 KB, 500x1082)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
It's probably not something you've ever noticed or thought about but have you ever wondered why in Japanese fighting games the karate practitioner is always the hero while the villain is often a Muay Thai Fighter? Sagat and Adon from street Fighter, Hwa Jai in Fatal Fury, Bruce in Tekken etc... It's because in the 1960s the Japanese government wanted to prove the superiority of Karate as their national sport so they brought over several Thai fighters for a big exhibition match. The founder of Kyokushin karate was beaten unconscious and his two students were crippled. It's an event that damaged the Japanese psyche and is still doing so to this day. Even as recently as Tekken 7 they introduced Fahkumram, another evil Muay Thai practitioner. It's over 50 years of seething.

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/muay-thai/kyokushin-vs-muay-thai-1964
>>
>>11109790
Donnie Yen single-handedly kept the dream a reality when he made the first Ip-Man film and decimated the entire Japanese army's karate kids.
>>
>>11109790
imagine being so butthurt you accidentally make the coolest and strongest fg characters
>>
>>11109790
The funny thing is I've known about this for like two decades (big into martial arts and combat sports history/rivalries) but somehow never made the connection. I even noticed before that Muay Thai guys tend to be on the villain's side in games (Joe Higashi is the only exception I can think of but he's actually ethnically Japanese plus has the most arrogant personality of the original three FF guys).
>>
Mma proves karate only works when combined with other martial arts. Muay thai is viable on it's own
>>
>>11109790
Um… Doesn't your article link actually say that Oyama didn't fight himself, he brought 3 of his disciples and 2 of them won?
>>
>>11109859
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ6gGWjqhUk&t=669s
>>
>>11109790
Kyokushin Karate was invented by a Korean.
Also Judo beats Muay Thai.
>>
Rather than technique, I think it simply has to do with thailand being a poorer country, thus the fighters being more hungry for victory/getting rich. Muay thai is not about code of honor or stuff.
BTW, in Fatal Fury, Joe Higashi, one of the good guys and a japanese guy, does muay thai.
>>
>>11109859
This, is OP retarded or something?
>>
Muay Thai has it's origins in Thailand. Japan and Thailand had a brief conflict in WW2.
>>
>>11109854
Muay Thai has no ground game. It needs wrestling or jujitsu to make it a complete system.
>>
>>11109790
>his two students were crippled
Crippled how?
>>
>>11110335
OP was misinforming, read the thread.
>>
>>11110078
There's also King, from Art of Fighting
>>
File: kick boxer.jpg (24 KB, 254x392)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>
>>11109790
>SF
Isn't Sagat a honoraburu raibaru now and been one for quite some time?
>SNK
Hwa Jai was made as a foil to another Muay Thai practitioner Joe Higashi who is one of the protagonists and becomes his friend after the first game.
There's also King from AOF, Shura from World Heroes, Payak from Buriki One and there is also a student of Joe in the new FF game; all positive characters.
Overall, looks like a good representation for a martial art.
>Tekken
I'm pretty sure that Fahkumram isn't evil and was made because they don't count Bruce as a representation of what is Muay Thai.
>other games
At least Samchay from Fighter's History and Tia from Breakers are pretty good as well.
If anything, Japanese vidya make Muay Thai to look cool as fuck. Same goes for Taekwondo.
>>
And I bet OP doesn't even practice any martial arts.
>>
Akuma/Gouki is literally purely evil (or at least only cares about power, abandoning humanity) and he practised the same school as Ryu and Ken.
>>
>>11109790
Sagat is actually the good guy. He beat Ryu in a 1v1 and Ryu, in typical chuuni "the darkness inside me" fashion, becomes evil for a minute because of the dark hadou and does a Shoryuken that cuts across Sagat's chest and right eye... AFTER the fight was called off.
>>
File: 7a5q0nuonwq91.png (683 KB, 643x790)
683 KB
683 KB PNG
>>11110535
>Akuma/Gouki is literally purely evil
Nah, that's Bison. Akuma is a hyperautist who only cares about becoming stronger. When he's not getting into mutual agreements with people he perceives as strong to fight him to the death, he's either selling fruit or running his own market in Japan for a living. Elena also takes selfies with the guy from time to time.
>>
>>11109790
Lol I look forward to picking thai fighters from now on. Especially against Japs
>>
>>11110598
But none of that is true, OP's link says the opposite.
>>
>>11109790
sagat and ryu are taken from the manga/anime karate baka ichi dai that´s kind of a storytelling of masutatsu oyama´s journey and the kyokuchin karate
>>
>>11110535
Evil? He's as much as a fight autist like Ryu is.
Ever heard of the fierce gods in hinduism? That's basically Akuma alignment, but he's definitely not always a good person, just not evil.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.