[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Severance: Blade of Darkness is often described as "Dark Souls 0.1b".

But I feel the game is better imagined as Golden Axe 3D.
>>
File: Golden Axe II Genesis.jpg (290 KB, 900x1261)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>11111176
Similar atmosphere and gameplay
>>
>>11111179
This actually makes an interesting point. Doubly so when it's obvious that the most fleshed out character was the knight, Sargon. Evidently they added Golden Axe characters to the game after they ran out of ideas.
>>
>>11111176
Yeah.
They're both set in a low magic world with limited casting.
Golden Axe requires you to rob little gnomes who have gathered mana secretions into bottles.
Blade of Darkness requires you to discover hidden areas for such artifacts as the Ice ax and Poison hammer.

Game is definitely worth a 2nd playthrough, especially if you haven't learned combo cancelling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9Xv9DvvUA
>>
>>11111176
Favorite level anyone?

I like the Gorge of Orlok.
Foggy snowy canyon/mountain pass, into dark winding tunnels, to a little fortress, then back out again to the mountain pass.
>>
>>11111176
Who actually likes this game?

I found the character movement slow and painfully stilted, the lock-on system only works when it wants to work, the weapon moves janky and hard to execute with mouse+KB (It makes even Gothic I feel responsive), and the levels remind me of Oni in that you spend a lot of time between fights running around a bland level hunting for keys (door terminals) as well as having unfun, poorly implemented platforming.
>>
File: Blade_of_Darkness.webm (1.07 MB, 1280x720)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB WEBM
>>11114924
Gorge is cool. I really like the Fortress of Tel Halaf and the Fortress of Nemrut. Blade of Darkness did overrun fortresses really well for its time.
>>11116105
Don't know what to tell you, man. I played this game at release and probably a dozen times through since then. Despite the jank I really like what it has to offer and getting into the rhythm of combat feels great when you stop swinging wildly.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.